• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ubisoft doesn't really do Steam keys anymore right? I know that there are rare exceptions still (like South Park) but I wanna say that most of their keys are uplay only

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Did they rip out the IAP stuff, or is that in the Steam release aswell?

The Steam version has no in-app purchases. They've structured everything out so that you earn in-game currency to purchase the things that you'd normally have to buy with real money. It's actually pretty well done, in my opinion, although by the time you unlock everything you're pretty OP. But it makes sense, because it probably takes 15ish hours to earn enough in-game currency to unlock everything like that, so by then you've invested enough time into the game that you feel it was worth it.

My only complaint is that the multiplayer was broken as fuck when it launched and it wasn't fixed for months. Apparently it works "okay" now, but it used to drop connections all the time which would kick you back to the menu, even after playing 79/80 rounds. I hear it's fixed now but I haven't revisited it since it was initially such a frustrating nightmare.

Backlogger

Ubisoft doesn't really do Steam keys anymore right? I know that there are rare exceptions still (like South Park) but I wanna say that most of their keys are uplay only

Yeah, the only way to get a Ubisoft game on Steam is to buy it on Steam (and they usually still require Uplay). I think there are only a few exceptions to this. If you see a retailer selling a Steam key for Far Cry 4 there should be all sorts of red flags and alarms going off.

Red Hood

Banned
It's the former. Some There are only a few collectibles, but they're really hard to find. Btw, if you enjoy the theme behind the game, watch Chappie. It's a comedy/action movie, but it presents a similar theme near the end.

Thanks, I'll keep my eyes open. Apparently it features Hugh Jackman, good actor.

Good choice of Artifex Mundi light adventure / hidden object games on sale this week.

'Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden' is basically "what if someone made an adventure game / hidden object puzzler set in a blatant knockoff of Bioshock's Rapture?"

'Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart' has ghost pirates. GHOST PIRATES.

$2.49 and $2.00 are great prices for them; they're worth your time if you're remotely interested in that genre.

Dr Dogg

While I couldn't give a monkey's about how Syndicate is handled due to being a single player game I'm keeping one eye on The Division but can really see that being a right fucking pain on PC as Uplay gets toppled over if more than 10 people try to log in at the same time, which for what is an online only game with a persistent world that's a big issue right there if you can't even log in to the authentication server. Wouldn't be surprised if this is actually the Uplay mainframe.
TapeDrive.jpg

Red Hood

Banned

For their own games? As far as I recall every recent (~4/5 years?) in-house developed game always uses Uplay. But sometimes they do sell Steam and Origin keys for other games from other publishers as well.

MUnited83

For you.
For their own games? As far as I recall every recent (~4/5 years?) in-house developed game always uses Uplay. But sometimes they do sell Steam and Origin keys for other games from other publishers as well.

Grow Home is in-house and is Steamworks everywhere, even on Uplay.

GaussTek

Not Steam related, but there's a new Humble Mobile Bundle with Neo Geo games. For $1 you get GAROU: MARK OF THE WOLVES, BLAZING STAR, KOF 97, METAL SLUG 2, and METAL SLUG X.

BTA: FATAL FURY SPECIAL, SAMURAI SHODOWN II and METAL SLUG 3.

So, that's why the games are also on sale on Google Play...

I might get it just for the games that aren't on Steam.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well it's the 20th here which means it's time for me to start harping on you guys to give me game recommendations for next month's OP. August is also looking pretty grim for game releases, but there are a few coming out that I'm interested in and think might be good for the OP
  • Close Your Eyes (Dusk?)
  • Armikrog
  • Beach Bounce (*glares at Milamber*)
  • Overlord: Fellowship of Evil
  • One Piece Pirate Warriors 3
Keep in mind that we also have a "You might have missed" section in the OP now, where we highlight games that came out in the previous month (aka July in this case) so feel free to send me a recommendation for any game that came out this month as long as it wasn't featured in the July thread.

I don't want a repeat of the July thread where I ended up writing a lot of the recommendations myself!

Please try to get me these recommendations before next Friday the 31st. You can PM them to me. Thanks!

Copons

Uhm, I know it's not really super cool to crosspost and stuff, but they're all friends of mine and they all deserve as much visibility as possible.

There are these Italian vg journalists that did a super cool song about gaming in Summer (or in Winter, if you're JaseC) and it's great and all that stuff, so give it a listen one of these days and feel dat C64 Summer heat!

thread here if you'd like to say something

video here

bandcamp there

Thanks, xoxo

jshackles

FloatOn

I'm tempted to give rayman legends a try this afternoon but I'm afraid I don't remember my uplay password.

it's stupid but I hate the whole reset password nonsense these things usually require.

Aaron D.

Apologies ahead of time. I posted this question in the Gaming Laptop Thread, but only got one reply.

Do you guys have any thoughts? I need to decide over the next 24 hours.

The biggest sticking point seems to be the dated Nvidia cards, but I'm left wondering what I can realistically expect from the 800 or 900 series while still keeping the price under $1500.

I have an opportunity to buy a custom gaming laptop from a friend who is a tech hobbyist who loves building and selling rigs. He's got a good reputation and usually offers great prices for what you're getting.

The timing couldn't be better as my current gaming laptop (see below) is failing. So I'm looking for a reality check on the value of the offer.

For sale: $1500
Alienware M18x with the following spec's (http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-18/pd)

18.4" WLED FHD 1920x1080 Display
Intel Core i7-4800MQ CPU (up to 3.7GHz with TurboBoost)
32GB of Ram
1TB Crucial M550 SSD
1TB 7200RPM SATA HD
Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX780M GPU w/4GB DDR5 Ram each.

$1500 is the absolute upper limit on what I can afford.

Now here's a few brief stats on my current rig:

Lenovo Y500
2X NVIDIA GeForce GT650M 2GB
RAM: 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
HDD: 1TB 5400RPM+16GB SSD

It feels like it's hanging by a thread with screen issues and AC adapter problems.

So what do you guys think? Would that $1500 be better spent buying a NEW gaming laptop with a better card? I doubt I'd be able to get a higher-end dual SLI & 1TB SSD in the $1500 range.

Should I go for it or keep shopping? Is the Alienware laptop far enough ahead of the Lenovo I currently own to make it worth it?

Thanks!!

Parsnip

Well it's the 20th here which means it's time for me to start harping on you guys to give me game recommendations for next month's OP. August is also looking pretty grim for game releases, but there are a few coming out that I'm interested in and think might be good for the OP
  • Close Your Eyes (Dusk?)
  • Armikrog
  • Beach Bounce (*glares at Milamber*)
  • Overlord: Fellowship of Evil
  • One Piece Pirate Warriors 3
Keep in mind that we also have a "You might have missed" section in the OP now, where we highlight games that came out in the previous month (aka July in this case) so feel free to send me a recommendation for any game that came out this month as long as it wasn't featured in the July thread.

I don't want a repeat of the July thread where I ended up writing a lot of the recommendations myself!

Please try to get me these recommendations before next Friday the 31st. You can PM them to me. Thanks!

Huh, just looked at some of the releases and saw that Volume is out in August.
Someone should write a blurb about that one.

cyba89

Continued my journey in Dark Souls. Made good progress without too many difficulties and I am now at the infamous Ren&Stimpy boss fight.

Yeah, I think I had enough DS for today... :eek:

Dr Dogg

I'm tempted to give rayman legends a try this afternoon but I'm afraid I don't remember my uplay password.

it's stupid but I hate the whole reset password nonsense these things usually require.

I don't think Uplay's password reset is that bad, Origin's is a little tedious but not too much trouble. Realistically in this day and age with countless sites after your soul user credentials a Password Manager is a must. Plenty to take your pick from like 1Password, KeyPass or LastPass are the usual recommendations.

Check Amazon. I got my msi ge62 with a 3gb 970 for a little less than $1300

I should start making 'Gaming' Laptops as it's clearly where the money is and where barmy people throw their cash. Dogg Boxes I'll call them.

Maniac

Banned
I used to have a Death Adder Left Edition until it shat the bed not once but three times but yeah the software is a bit rubbish. Did have on board profiles which was cool but compared to the magic you can do with Logitech's SetPoint it's like Fisher Price's My First Gaming Mouse Software, I mean it's got enough garish colours going on too.

Jeez, three times? Atleast their warranty is pretty good, or atleast has been in my case. Warranty about to run out? Fling the thing across the room and write them a mail ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's weird though, their standalone software for the individual peripherals was great, but once they tried to unify it all with Synapse, it all just went to shit. The heatmaps are really nice though... But that's about it in my experience.
The Steam version has no in-app purchases. They've structured everything out so that you earn in-game currency to purchase the things that you'd normally have to buy with real money. It's actually pretty well done, in my opinion, although by the time you unlock everything you're pretty OP. But it makes sense, because it probably takes 15ish hours to earn enough in-game currency to unlock everything like that, so by then you've invested enough time into the game that you feel it was worth it.

My only complaint is that the multiplayer was broken as fuck when it launched and it wasn't fixed for months. Apparently it works "okay" now, but it used to drop connections all the time which would kick you back to the menu, even after playing 79/80 rounds. I hear it's fixed now but I haven't revisited it since it was initially such a frustrating nightmare.

Glad to hear the IAPs aren't present in the PC version. Hopefully the MP is worthwhile, could be fun to play with (against? I don't know how this works!) friends.

edit:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom