• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Future is now

Technically, Doom 3 already did this function. Just no one figured out (or looked at the source?) how Carmack and company did the interactive computers in Doom 3 to mod something like this in. Probably because if you aim "away" from the UI it'll kick you back to your Doom 3 controller.

Lomax

Apologies ahead of time. I posted this question in the Gaming Laptop Thread, but only got one reply.

Do you guys have any thoughts? I need to decide over the next 24 hours.

The biggest sticking point seems to be the dated Nvidia cards, but I'm left wondering what I can realistically expect from the 800 or 900 series while still keeping the price under $1500.

I have an opportunity to buy a custom gaming laptop from a friend who is a tech hobbyist who loves building and selling rigs. He's got a good reputation and usually offers great prices for what you're getting.

The timing couldn't be better as my current gaming laptop (see below) is failing. So I'm looking for a reality check on the value of the offer.

For sale: $1500
Alienware M18x with the following spec's (http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-18/pd)

18.4" WLED FHD 1920x1080 Display
Intel Core i7-4800MQ CPU (up to 3.7GHz with TurboBoost)
32GB of Ram
1TB Crucial M550 SSD
1TB 7200RPM SATA HD
Dual Nvidia GeForce GTX780M GPU w/4GB DDR5 Ram each.

$1500 is the absolute upper limit on what I can afford.

Now here's a few brief stats on my current rig:

Lenovo Y500
2X NVIDIA GeForce GT650M 2GB
RAM: 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
HDD: 1TB 5400RPM+16GB SSD

It feels like it's hanging by a thread with screen issues and AC adapter problems.

So what do you guys think? Would that $1500 be better spent buying a NEW gaming laptop with a better card? I doubt I'd be able to get a higher-end dual SLI & 1TB SSD in the $1500 range.

Should I go for it or keep shopping? Is the Alienware laptop far enough ahead of the Lenovo I currently own to make it worth it?

Thanks!!

I guess the big question is, why a laptop? Is there a specific reason you need to have a gaming laptop instead of a desktop? That seems like a barely portable beast as it is.

iosefe

I guess i walked into that...

Em5qFSQ.png

Red Hood

Banned
Apologies ahead of time. I posted this question in the Gaming Laptop Thread, but only got one reply.

The biggest sticking point seems to be the dated Nvidia cards, but I'm left wondering what I can realistically expect from the 800 or 900 series while still keeping the price under $1500.

I have an opportunity to buy a custom gaming laptop from a friend who is a tech hobbyist who loves building and selling rigs. He's got a good reputation and usually offers great prices for what you're getting.

The timing couldn't be better as my current gaming laptop (see below) is failing. So I'm looking for a reality check on the value of the offer.

Alienware M18x with the following spec's (http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-18/pd)

32GB of Ram
1TB Crucial M550 SSD
1TB 7200RPM SATA HD

Lenovo Y500

It feels like it's hanging by a thread with screen issues and AC adapter problems.

So what do you guys think? Would that $1500 be better spent buying a NEW gaming laptop with a better card? I doubt I'd be able to get a higher-end dual SLI & 1TB SSD in the $1500 range.

Should I go for it or keep shopping? Is the Alienware laptop far enough ahead of the Lenovo I currently own to make it worth it?

Thanks!!

I would never ever tell someone to buy a laptop over a desktop for gaming. Why do you want a laptop if I might ask? With that amount of money you can buy a PC with pretty much double the whistles and bells, even slightly better if you build it yourself. Unless you're homeless of course, but then I suppose you'd better spend it on food, lol.

Dsyndrome

I would never ever tell someone to buy a laptop over a desktop for gaming. Why do you want a laptop if I might ask? With that amount of money you can buy a PC with pretty much double the whistles and bells, even slightly better if you build it yourself. Unless you're homeless of course, but then I suppose you'd better spend it on food, lol.

If you travel enough and are guaranteed to move frequently (my case) then a gaming laptop is ideal (although costly). I've been living in a hotel or empty house since mid-May and have only been playing due to having a gaming laptop.

MRORANGE

Spent some time doing pieces for CNC cutting, I've managed to find a place but it's still amazinlg expensive in the UK. At least the place accepts SVG files so all I have to do is draw the cuts.Using the CNC services from RazorLabs, if anyone knows a cheaper place then give a shout.

I honestly will have to do this again, and try and cost factor the usage of acrylic, so it's only the screen bezel, stick pad and the marqee at the top. the sides of the cabinets will be 12mm mdf but I have to take into consideration into painting it.

Nzyme32

I need a bit of help. Is anyone else seeing a very quick command prompt box when they do certain things in Steam? It's been happening randomly while using the overlay browser and playing games, pretty much minimising the game while that box pops up and disappears again.

What the hell is it and how do I stop it?

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Double Dragon Neon -- MB-4201AA28B0B1683C - Taken by gimel

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I like the compact all in one form factor of a notebook computer.

The price difference is exaggerated.

I'm more concerned about the heat envelope and performance differences between notebook and desktop GPUs, to be honest. I did at one time prefer gaming on a laptop for the convenience since I was on the move a lot with a busy social life and college work, but now that LANs aren't happening every couple of weeks, I can't see myself investing in a "gaming" laptop when the desktop serves my purposes far better.

But really, it's all about whatever works best for people and how they work/play!

Double

Back from Ant-Man Preview. It wasn't bad, but still pretty forgettable. Classic new Marvel shmock of trying too hard and much to be funny. A shame we will never get to see Wrights version :(

Dr Dogg

I need a bit of help. Is anyone else seeing a very quick command prompt box when they do certain things in Steam? It's been happening randomly while using the overlay browser and playing games, pretty much minimising the game while that box pops up and disappears again.

What the hell is it and how do I stop it?

Could quite possibly one of 1,000's of things, maybe not even Client releated but your system. Obviously if an elevated command prompt runs and takes focus it's going to minimise your game (or anything else for that matter) but I'd say enable the console in the client first to see if you can catch anything untoward (add -console to the target line for the Steam shortcut and you have a swanky new tab that says Console). It's fairly self explanatory what gets reported back so you might see an error or such like pop up that might give you more information on what is going on. Good luck!

Wok

So I cannot finish Ori with 100% completion, because I cannot go back to the ruins level after completed it.

Why would some devs do this to what was a good game so far?

Backlogger

For me Rocket League is fun as long as people don't take it too seriously. I had some guy get mad at me in a game, not even sure what for. He dropped out after calling me out for something. Probably because I wasn't following some prescribed strategy that I was supposed to know about before jumping into a game. Or maybe its just because I suck. I think we still won too...

I do find that 2v2 is my favorite game type.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Emma Stone's character in Sleeping Dogs is pretty naive to trust a shady looking dude full of tats to show her around the city... and the first thing she wants to see is a... dojo? Ok. It's crazy that they got her for this game, but I guess that she wasn't that famous yet in '11-12

maty

So I cannot finish Ori with 100% completion, because I cannot go back to the ruins level after completed it.

Yeah, that sucks.

The same thing happend to me after the 2nd area, I realized I couldn't go back to get the 1% I was missing in the tree so I started a new game.

But since I was familiar with the map I got through most of the game really fast.

Salsa

whuuuaaaaaaaaaat

well, in a way thanks for telling me this cause now I guess I won't bother with collectables

talk about bullshit

maty

whuuuaaaaaaaaaat

well, in a way thanks for telling me this cause now I guess I won't bother with collectables

talk about bullshit

I agree it's bullshit but if you go in knowing this it's not that bad.

There are only 4 sections (one being the last part) of the game where you need to take your time to explore everything before you beat them or you won't get 100%, these sections are:
Ginso Tree, Misty Woods, Forlorn Ruins, and Mount Horu (the point of no return)

If you are going for all achievements you'll to play the game at least 3 times so if you missed something the 1st time you could get it the 2nd time around.

Nzyme32

Could quite possibly one of 1,000's of things, maybe not even Client releated but your system. Obviously if an elevated command prompt runs and takes focus it's going to minimise your game (or anything else for that matter) but I'd say enable the console in the client first to see if you can catch anything untoward (add -console to the target line for the Steam shortcut and you have a swanky new tab that says Console). It's fairly self explanatory what gets reported back so you might see an error or such like pop up that might give you more information on what is going on. Good luck!

Cheers mate. I'll give it a go

32GB of Ram
1TB Crucial M550 SSD
1TB 7200RPM SATA HD

Lenovo Y500

Thanks!!
That's a pretty powerful gaming laptop there. Not really a bad deal for 1500 bucks but does it have to be a laptop and not a desktop?
Still, pretty solid machine. You got my axe!
Continued my journey in Dark Souls. Made good progress without too many difficulties and I am now at the infamous Ren&Stimpy boss fight.

Yeah, I think I had enough DS for today... :eek:
Cool! Wish Co-Op system would work via invite. Would so gladly help you with the two.
Kevin VanOrd leaving GameSpot to be a writer on an MMO

And another great reviewer "leaves industry" :(
I liked his video reviews. Best of success to him.
Spent some time doing pieces for CNC cutting, I've managed to find a place but it's still amazinlg expensive in the UK. At least the place accepts SVG files so all I have to do is draw the cuts.Using the CNC services from RazorLabs, if anyone knows a cheaper place then give a shout.

I honestly will have to do this again, and try and cost factor the usage of acrylic, so it's only the screen bezel, stick pad and the marqee at the top. the sides of the cabinets will be 12mm mdf but I have to take into consideration into painting it.
Appreciate and admire your effort and and enthusiasm. Must be pricey to order stuff like that.
Why.
If you haven't watch the uncut YT trailer you should change that. NSFW and stuff.
That trailer. He is playing so much into the "oh look how freaky" idea with all them fake steam chat popups.
Hope it plays out well for him and he becomes successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom