• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sch1sm

SteamGAF, I need some advice please.

So I've already pre-ordered Zestiria for $42 from my own store. However, I've just recently learned that the game is actually way cheaper, $27, from another country's store within my store region. My regular online store is offering that cheaper pre-order (which will be distributed via gift) at the moment. Should I get a refund and get the cheaper one? I know it's kinda obvious, but I dunno what to buy with my refund money if I were to refund it.

Do you mean another Steam store? i.e. Canada v USA store? Same region, different prices?

If so. I'd refund. Buy WoTS4 if you haven't already. That's what I'd get.

Looking forward to finally playing a Way of the Samurai game, still don't remember why I never ended up picking up 3 or 4 on the PS3 when they came out as I remember wanting both. Such is life!

Hope the branching is as open as the third game seemed.

The game is far better on PC. The performance on the PS3 for 3 was horrible and from what I heard it was kinda the same for 4.
4 runs quite smoothly.

I had some crashes just before the end of the beta, but seems these were connected to an old W10 build.

Salsa

STGZKo9.png

am i the best yet

green ping aint got nothing on me

managed the overtime goal and it was intense af

Sounds like a shady cd-key reseller store, or am I missing something?

No, it'll be a gift not a cd key. I've already purchased several games from there. They're buying the game cheaper from another steam store within our region.

Do you mean another Steam store? i.e. Canada v USA store? Same region, different prices?

If so. I'd refund. Buy WoTS4 if you haven't already. That's what I'd get.

Yes, same region different prices.
Do WoTS4 has some RPG elements? It's indeed look interesting, but I've never played any WoTS game.

Deques

No, it'll be a gift not a cd key. I've already purchased several games from there. They're buying the game cheaper from another steam store within our region.

I am not sure how that works but if it's all legal and works for you then you should request a refund and buy it for cheaper :)

Finished Loot Hero DX and got 19 of 20 achievements. I don't wanna grind endlessly for the last achievement. Now I have to wait for cards to drop :( Just got the first card, four cards left to drop :(

Sch1sm

Yes, same region different prices.
Do WoTS4 has some RPG elements? It's indeed look interesting, but I've never played any WoTS game.

It has some RPG elements, yes, but you couldn't comfortably classify it as one. More of an open world adventure (with multiple endings), swordplay (meaning hack and slash, really).

redlacs

how do i post status tagged with this game? the list is full of wrong suggestions and there is no scroll down option. pressing enter to search further does nothing ofc

Caerith

how do i post status tagged with this game? the list is full of wrong suggestions and there is no scroll down option. pressing enter to search further does nothing ofc

Play it? The drop-down shows the games you've most-recently played, and this might be the only way since the search doesn't seem to work for it.

I am not sure how that works but if it's all legal and works for you then you should request a refund and buy it for cheaper :)

Yeah, buying games via gifts is kinda the norm here in my country.
Credit card is still a thing that only successful/old people have, so most are still opted to buy games via atm transfers for gifts and steam wallet.

It has some RPG elements, yes, but you couldn't comfortably classify it as one. More of an open world adventure (with multiple endings), swordplay (meaning hack and slash, really).

Well, i guess I'm going to grab it then.
Thanks.

Kuroyume

Banned
Unless it's anime you're not getting anything for a foil. And it has to be true Japanese anime. Not some western made RPG maker thing. That and Resident Evil foils seem to be worth something.

Anime-related cards are so overpriced anyway.
So, is it a safe bet to assume that most of PC gamers (or Steam users, especially) are anime fans or otaku?

Uzzy

So, is it a safe bet to assume that most of PC gamers (or Steam users, especially) are anime fans or otaku?

Not at all. Just that there's a larger section of anime fans who'll happily pay overpriced prices for their waifus.

Chariot

Not necessary. It's the same thing that makes the Otaku industry work with relatively few people and insanely expensive prices. Real animefans pay for their passion. This leads (1) to a lot of people buying anime themed emoticons, background and cards in general and (2) to people still buying when only the expensive ones are around.

redlacs

Play it? The drop-down shows the games you've most-recently played, and this might be the only way since the search doesn't seem to work for it.

unfortunately it doesnt show the most recently played games for me. DARK would be there, as well as both Darksiders titles. i havent touched half of the games listed.
for some reason the list is slighty different when i type it to the store search, but i dont see any connection to my played games there either

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
How's Mercenary Kings? I heard it's poor man's Metal Slug that you might as well just get MS X and 3 in steam.

Caerith

unfortunately it doesnt show the most recently played games for me. DARK would be there, as well as both Darksiders titles. i havent touched half of the games listed.
for some reason the list is slighty different when i type it to the store search, but i dont see any connection to my played games there either

Weird. I mean, the search has always been wonky, but it sucks that there doesn't seem to be a way to circumvent it in the case of games with super-generic names.

I have a couple of foils, one hasn't seen a sale since February and another where there is no evidence one has ever sold. Valve really need to do something with foils, maybe instead of dropping background/emote/voucher have them drop an exclusive item for one of their games? Or at the very least exclusive backgrounds or emotes.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
How's Mercenary Kings? I heard it's poor man's Metal Slug that you might as well just get MS X and 3 in steam.
Gameplay is fun but grindy since there are things to craft. There different styles of missions to pick from gathering items, kill X character, Save X people, etc. If you dont mind the grindy part of the game its rather fun.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of WinterDemons, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare -- MB-06ED379E97832827 - Taken by ExoSoul. 25 entrants total.

t1437683439z1.png

Dr Dogg

Fucking Unreal Engine Bloody 3! So I thought I'd give KF2 a blast this morning considering it had downloaded earlier than expected, I'm feeling workshy anyway and I've got a couple of hours to spare but my word was it hitching and pausing everywhere. So checked my frame times which were awful had a fiddle around with some settings which slightly improved things but was still hideous. So dropped the resolution and texture detail (because it always fecking assets streaming with this engine) and nope still nicht gut!
Initial Faffing said:

Just look at that. Some of those frametime spike are 300ms+.

So tip toed into the anger pit that is SPUF for a solution/workaround which turns up a load of blanks apart from one thread where the OP had a list of changes one of which was to amend UE3's texture streaming setting (bUseTextureStreaming) to False in your master Engine ini files. Not really the right place to do that so I looked for it in the elevated settings and hurrah it's available under KFEnginie.ini in my docs/my games/killing floor 2 something or other.

Texture Streaming Disabled said:

Night and bloody day. Devs, please, please, please, it's time to put UE3 to bed and move over to 4. Please!

Vazra

eh how's everyone making those awesome.... gifs/webms/gfycat of the various games they play?

There was a thread showing how to make webms that gave you the tool for it. As for gifs I just record my games with Shadowplay and use Instagiffer which is free and pretty useful.

wilflare

There was a thread showing how to make webms that gave you the tool for it. As for gifs I just record my games with Shadowplay and use Instagiffer which is free and pretty useful.

thanks! I'll go find that thread :O
really gotta make some for some of the games I'm playing :O

(why aren't more peeps using WebMs)

Vazra

thanks! I'll go find that thread :O
really gotta make some for some of the games I'm playing :O

(why aren't more peeps using WebMs)

Thread

I think people dont use it since not everyone install the app to run webms natively on gaf plus on mobile doesnt work.

Unreal Engine 3 was built around Gears of War. It works brilliantly within the confines of a linear corridor shooter but you're kind of fighting the engine if you're using it for something other than that. Rocksteady brute forced their branch/iteration of UE3 to have streaming with Arkham City tho.

Knurek

Fucking Unreal Engine Bloody 3! So I thought I'd give KF2 a blast this morning considering it had downloaded earlier than expected, I'm feeling workshy anyway and I've got a couple of hours to spare but my word was it hitching and pausing everywhere. So checked my frame times which were awful had a fiddle around with some settings which slightly improved things but was still hideous. So dropped the resolution and texture detail (because it always fecking assets streaming with this engine) and nope still nicht gut!

Just look at that. Some of those frametime spike are 300ms+.

Night and bloody day. Devs, please, please, please, it's time to put UE3 to bed and move over to 4. Please!

Weird, only time I had problems with UE3 and texture streaming was when my main CPU fried and I had to make do with a Dual Core Pentium.
I take it you have the game on an SSD and don't have anything in background stealing your CPU cycles?

I don't think there's an engine out there that handles data streaming worse than UE3.

Source!

UE3 I thought was pretty good. Bio infinite and tomb raider ran decently on my old laptop.

Bio Infinite was a hitch-show before perf patch. Tomb Raider doesn't use UE3.

Dr Dogg

I don't think there's an engine out there that handles data streaming worse than UE3.

Sadly I fear it will hang around like a zombie forever ambling around until the end of days!

Still at least The Astronauts are bringing over Ethan Carter to UE4. At worst that's a free +1 for you.

Weird, only time I had problems with UE3 and texture streaming was when my main CPU fried and I had to make do with a Dual Core Pentium.
I take it you have the game on an SSD and don't have anything in background stealing your CPU cycles?

Is reading what I posted really that hard? Do you think this is my first rodeo? Never seen texture and geometry fade-in in a UE3 game? Well that's fundamentally the issue that has plagued it since launch with countless games being completely unavoidable as it's an engine issue that is next to never solved by hardware.

Arthea

gifs 4 life!

also streaming is off topic

I did my gamble with gem created booster packs again (I should stop, it hardly ever pays, especially considering how much time trading, selling and buying takes and then I get 5 the same common emotes... oh well) and I got some coupons that might be of interest to someone.

It's -75% for this game
http://store.steampowered.com/app/325730/

at first I was going to buy it myself, but it being in early EA stages and me having many games to play convinced me I can wait until it leaves EA.

other is -50% for software, this one
http://store.steampowered.com/app/348200/

I don't really need it, but I thought somebody might.

If you want any of those, just contact me on steam much later today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom