• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chariot

I will say I prefer Kinetic Novels to VNs though. Not a fan of multiple routes. From what I have played only 999 really did that one right. But even then it has the problem of a lot of the same repeated dialog which a lot of VNs do to get back to the first decision.

True you can save there. Guess, but I really think having a flow chart should be standard for the bigger games.
Every VN of worth will allow you to skip through already read text.

Jawmuncher

you couldn't now just said that Long live the Queen didn't do it right, tell me you didn't!

I know many that do it right, then again my right and your right can be different, for example I thought that Dysfunctional Systems did it right too, or an Octave higher if we talk newer ones, although last one rather do branching right than choices.

I'm opposite of you in this, I prefer choice or gameplay mixes VNs over kinetic novels all the way. I do like some of kinetic ones too, I just prefer others.

I don't really consider long live the queen as a scan. Since most of it is spent in the area for skills. As for Dysfunctional systems the idea is there, but there's really only 2 different outcomes with the rest just being slight changes. Story wise it makes sense but still hits the same problems.

Then again my biggest issue is length. For example something like If my heart had wings is ridiculously long. Skipping through text for Chariot took me like an hour before the first real choice.
Every VN of worth will allow you to skip through already read text.

They do but remember how long If My Heart Had Wings took? As I said granted you can just save. But I still think it can get a little ridiculous sometimes.

I will say I prefer Kinetic Novels to VNs though. Not a fan of multiple routes. From what I have played only 999 really did that one right. But even then it has the problem of a lot of the same repeated dialog which a lot of VNs do to get back to the first decision.

True you can save there. Guess, but I really think having a flow chart should be standard for the bigger games.

Do you mean being unable to skip the dialog is a pain, or the confusion of which route you're on is a pain? VLR has a flow chart built into the game, and you can make already seen dialog go super sonic fast

Jawmuncher

Do you mean being unable to skip the dialog is a pain, or the confusion of which route you're on is a pain? VLR has a flow chart built into the game, and you can make already seen dialog go super sonic fast

A combination of both for most VNs. The speed and already in the game flowchart for VLR was the best thing about it.

You can always skip dialog from what I have played. But even the fat speed can be pretty irrelevant with how big some VNs get.

Annubis

oh wow, groupees are having another VN bundle (not steam, because Jast, but still), previous must have been success then.

https://groupees.com/vn2

edited: it would be nice for Jast to embrace steam, for those cheevos and cards, and cloud saves and updates, it could still be drm free, everybody wins, no?

Do I see School Days?

dBQ8dSl.png

Arthea

I don't really consider long live the queen as a scan. Since most of it is spent in the area for skills. As for Dysfunctional systems the idea is there, but there's really only 2 different outcomes with the rest just being slight changes. Story wise it makes sense but still hits the same problems.

Then again my biggest issue is length. For example something like If my heart had wings is ridiculously long. Skipping through text for Chariot took me like an hour before the first real choice.

They do but remember how long If My Heart Had Wings took? As I said granted you can just save. But I still think it can get a little ridiculous sometimes.

Isn't that just semantics? In essence LLTQ is still a VN as are Telltale adventure games lately.

I feel like we are talking about different things entirely, choices - meaning process of getting some outcome (not necessary ending) - are not the same as story branching and different endings, I still stand by my world that Dysfunctional Systems does choices right.

Skipping should be fast, very fast, here I agree with you.

edited: also not every VN should be as complex as LLTQ or as long.

sweet, there's a command that allows you to fast travel anywhere on the map to sign posts you've been to in the witcher 3: "AllowFT(3)", this will make it much better for me, fuck all those running to a sign post just to teleport to a sign post.

...Why would you want that though? Running around the world is one of the best parts of W3.

Plus, there are so many damn signposts you can't possibly have to to travel THAT far...

Playing as siren, looks like it could be interesting with the phasewalk thing!

I played a Siren as well. By end game, she's pretty baller.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I wish Morenatsu got finished and we'd see it in Steam :(

Gameplay is fun but grindy since there are things to craft. There different styles of missions to pick from gathering items, kill X character, Save X people, etc. If you dont mind the grindy part of the game its rather fun.
think of it as Metal Slug + Monster Hunter but somehow not even nearly as cool as that sounds

was the game made by the Scott Pilgrim beatemup devs?

Virtue's Last Reward adds the flowchart. It's the next game I plan to play once CDPR lets me finish Witcher 3.

The IOS version of 999 also has a flowchart.

Knurek

Virtue's Last Reward adds the flowchart. It's the next game I plan to play once CDPR lets me finish Witcher 3.

The IOS version of 999 also has a flowchart.

IOS version of 999 doesn't have the escape the room puzzles.
Which had, like, 90% of character development (and some crucial plot info) in the DS version.
How are people okay with that?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
...balanced by the fact that new games are still coming out all the time. It's just a question of which publishers want to include their games in the first place. Humble can't knock out AAA bundles all the time. No bundle site can, despite how much people want it.

I just meant that as HB was starting up there was a lot of popular indie games to mine for the bundles, so HB was able to have this big AAA bundles because there were a lot more options available to them, the more games that get included though the less of an option that becomes in the future. Obviously there'll always be more indies coming out, but it's rare that you get a release as big/popular as Super Meat Boy, Bastion, Fez etc. so there's fewer big games being added to the potential bundle pool. Maybe I've just not been paying as close attention to indie releases though.

was the game made by the Scott Pilgrim beatemup devs?

No but I believe the same animator was involved in creating the sprites (Paul Robertson)

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Life is Strange Episode 4 releases July 28th

Life is Strange developer Dontnod is also celebrating 1m sales for the game - a huge milestone for the small team.

Episode four sees main character Max delve deeper into the disappearance of Rachel Amber as the situation in Arcadia Bay starts to look, well, decidedly not good.

We won't say much more in case you haven't yet finished episode three, but it seems like the series' various plotlines are drawing together.

Get your first glimpse at the episode - and some of those not so good things in Arcadia Bay - via the new trailer below:

Trailer

Doctor Who Adventure Game - Yay or Nay? I know nothing about the series other than multiple Doctors, and I'm mopping up GMG encore sales. Love P&C's. My little brother watches it but I've only seen Christmas specials when I'm home for the holidays.

One of the games I made impressions for. Not sure how easy it is to search through posts by user for keywords... but bottom line is, the adventure gaming puzzles are practically brain-dead, and they tacked on stealth segments and collectibles. There's also DW trivia, but all the answers can be found in-game by looking at objects, so it's not that bad. Some voice acting is good and some is phoned in. I wouldn't recommend it, be you fan or not.

Also to weigh in on this visual vs kinetic novel thing, put me down for choices. I need interaction in my games. If I want a story with no input from me, other media do it better (i.e. books.) I've gone through kinetic novels and found myself saying "How long is this introduction? When's the choice already?" and then I remember...never. You guys are free to enjoy them, but I'll stick with choose-your-own-adventure, thanks very much.

Dr Dogg

I'm a little disappointed that Rocket League (yes I bloody bought it despite having no money until Friday) has neither a League or Tournament set of options for online play but then again neither did Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars so I should have known better. Still scored a hat trick on my debut in the wussy singleplayer bots league before going online and getting stomped by real peeps. Sadly back to work now :(

IOS version of 999 doesn't have the escape the room puzzles.
Which had, like, 90% of character development (and some crucial plot info) in the DS version.
How are people okay with that?

Not everyone has a DS or 3DS. For many it's either the gimped IOS version or nothing at all.

I'm a little disappointed that Rocket League (yes I bloody bought it despite having no money until Friday) has neither a League or Tournament set of options for online play but then again neither did Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars so I should have known better. Still scored a hat trick on my debt in the wussy singleplayer bots league before going online and getting stomped by real peeps. Sadly back to work now :(

We should play some time. I've already recruited Salsa for some cross continental rocket leaguing. Now all we need is someone from Australia and North America and we can have a game with the highest combined ping in history.

Tizoc

Not everyone has a DS or 3DS. For many it's either the gimped IOS version or nothing at all.

We should play some time. I've already recruited Salsa for some cross continental rocket leaguing. Now all we need is someone from Australia and North America and we can have a game with the highest combined ping in history.

NDS at least should be dirt cheap now, and good models can be bought for reasonable prices.
Furthermore, NDS games are cheap too and the NDS has a great library of games.

Arthea

confession time: I've never finished DS version of 999, that's why it just has to come to steam sometime, there is no other way.

Dr Dogg

Hahaha definitely! I should slot in the middle of you two latency wise.

iosefe

Depending on when, you've got an American right here

Jawmuncher

Isn't that just semantics? In essence LLTQ is still a VN as are Telltale adventure games lately.

I feel like we are talking about different things entirely, choices - meaning process of getting some outcome (not necessary ending) - are not the same as story branching and different endings, I still stand by my world that Dysfunctional Systems does choices right.

Skipping should be fast, very fast, here I agree with you.

edited: also not every VN should be as complex as LLTQ or as long.
I suppose so long as we agree with that latter it's fine though.

The IOS version of 999 already has a flowchart.

Nice improvement there.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

I say unskippable cut scenes are fine for the first time around, but give people the option to skip once they've beaten the game once. I don't really see why people would skip cutscenes on the first time through a game, especially if they advance plot or have a bearing on the story. Unskippable cutscenes to cover loading times are okay, but only if the loading is unavoidable or you can skip the scene once the loading's completed.

Hektor

I say unskippable cut scenes are fine for the first time around, but give people the option to skip once they've beaten the game once. I don't really see why people would skip cutscenes on the first time through a game, especially if they advance plot or have a bearing on the story. Unskippable cutscenes to cover loading times are okay, but only if the loading is unavoidable or you can skip the scene once the loading's completed.

Sometimes the story is shit but you still want to continue playing for the mechanics.

milena87

I say unskippable cut scenes are fine for the first time around, but give people the option to skip once they've beaten the game once. I don't really see why people would skip cutscenes on the first time through a game, especially if they advance plot or have a bearing on the story.

But I might have played that part on another system, or I might have watched it already, played by someone else.

I agree with the article and everything should be skippable right away.
Even tutorials. But that's another matter...

Dr Dogg

ummm, what is this ?

JhZPCh4.jpg

Steam fundamentally needs to run as a Windows Service (if you fire up Task Manager you'll see something like Steam Client Service under the Services tab) so it can have administrative privileges to your system. It's for things like installing redistributables like C++ and Direct X packages amongst other things. I've had it once before after a client update stopped the service which the client wouldn't start unless it was running which took a bit of faffing but it's nothing harmful and part of how Steam works.

Phinor

I'm definitely in the let me skip camp. Not just cutscenes, but everything. Just in the past few days two different games have irritated me with no skipping option: I played the first two episodes of Walking Dead Season 2 and both episodes had unskippable credit roll at the end of the episode. It's like five minutes per episode so nearly half an hour wasted by the time I finish the season.

NHL15 still has, like every recent NHL game, unskippable highlight reels right in the middle of the match. Well the reel itself you can skip, but before the reel starts the game wastes like 10 seconds showing the players etc. waiting for the match to continue and so on. And you can't skip that part, only when the actual reel starts does skipping actually work like it should. Arrrghhh. Often you get multiple reel moments per match that completely break the flow of the game. Such a little thing but so damn annoying.

Also if you hide level loading behind your cutscene, do tell the player when they try to skip. Ie. show a little loading icon on lower right for example if they try to skip the cutscene.

Typically I want the freedom to choose everything and anything in a game. So let me skip your fancy cutscenes even on first run if I so choose. It might be the fifth time I'm playing the game but the first time I'm playing on that account, on that console/PC. Don't assume that it's my first time playing through the game just because I don't have an existing save file on the system I'm playing. Just let me choose for myself.

L.O.R.D

well , you can get the DS game and ripped it to your PC and play it on emulator

but in this game,its better on portable device

http://www.gamestop.com/ds/consoles/nintendo-ds-lite-system-black-recharged-refurbished/107182

or you can find it cheaper

L.O.R.D

image.php

Something to do with Windows 10 maybe?
i am still using windows 7 , windows 7 forever
Steam fundamentally needs to run as a Windows Service (if you fire up Task Manager you'll see something like Steam Client Service under the Services tab) so it can have administrative privileges to your system. It's for things like installing redistributables like C++ and Direct X packages amongst other things. I've had it once before after a client update stopped the service which the client wouldn't start unless it was running which took a bit of faffing but it's nothing harmful and part of how Steam works.

i just restarted my PC after cleaning it , then start the client and it showed me this.

this is the first time i see this message

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom