• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

... really, EA/Origin?
"Battlefield Hardline: Criminal Activity is now available! Time to pick up a nail gun and dispense justice!"

Did someone watch too much Lethal Weapon?

you forgot about the people who refund the game and bought at cheaper price
this is a loose for them

Friendly pointer: lose, not loose.

Well, there are always people who will abuse the system -- but all things considered, the amount of people granted a refund who managed to get in on the price mistake are probably a small percentage of the overall number of units sold at the price mistake pricing.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

2TDAGgY.jpg

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Tycoon City: New York -- MB-1C349F3CA2A70565 - Taken by texhnolyze
Major Mayhem -- MB-B084BD7FA6752CF2 - Taken by Belgarion
Sideway New York -- MB-625A8C0670EAC96D - Taken by ExoSoul
Battleplan: American Civil War -- MB-22619CCA100C5BE9 - Taken by Eila
The Bluecoats: North vs South -- MB-ABF6752AA490E787 - Taken by derExperte
Gold Rush! Classic -- MB-386762252A63368A - Taken by gurm3n. 1 entrants total.

Lomax

With the refund system, price mistakes have taken a darker turn, as now it seems possible for a company to actually have a net loss of money as a result. Makes me wonder if we'll start seeing revocations happen eventually on Steam itself as we've seen on sites like Gamersgate.

Kagemusha

With the refund system, price mistakes have taken a darker turn, as now it seems possible for a company to actually have a net loss of money as a result. Makes me wonder if we'll start seeing revocations happen eventually on Steam itself as we've seen on sites like Gamersgate.

Valve needs to not allow multiple % to stack. Also, Valve should have a chart graph that shows the sale price for the duration of the sale so the CFO can look and see that tomorrow her $50 game sells for 5 cents. And devs need to realize that giving pricing duties to interns is a bad idea.

derExperte

Valve needs to not allow multiple % to stack. Also, Valve should have a chart graph that shows the sale price for the duration of the sale so the CFO can look and see that tomorrow her $50 game sells for 5 cents. And devs need to realize that giving pricing duties to interns is a bad idea.

Whose side are you on? I'm on the 'give price mistakes' side so no to everything above.

No one needs to feel bad for this not even the devs.

They get money, people get to play their game and nothing changes for future demand or sales. The people who refund are a small subset of the small group of people who were aware of the price error in the first place.

dex3108

That Batman AK Full Patch entry is gone, new build is up in SteamDB Zep-MS17_0.05-WBQA-PC_1088948-07_06_2015_Auto.

At least they are working on patch but still no info about release.

Chariot

No one needs to feel bad for this not even the devs.

They get money, people get to play their game and nothing changes for future demand or sales. The people who refund are a small subset of the small group of people who were aware of the price error in the first place.
Dude, he isn't just some dev. He is a german. Volkssolidarität!
Now that Greece is dry, we depend on the taxes from the Ori sales.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Either people got annoyed because of the animation, which would be me, or Chrome still can't handle GIFs and people got annoyed because they're using a shitty browser.

I miss it :(

Even though I'm using Chrome. But I want to switch, so is it possible to import my Chrome history/passwords to a new browser?

cyba89

The people who refund are a small subset of the small group of people who were aware of the price error in the first place.

And this small group gets balanced out, by those people who buy multiple copies to give them away.
The game also still has frontpage exposure through the topsellers-list and most likely some additional word of mouth.

Price mistakes are certainly not a thing to celebrate for the publisher/developer, but they are not the total desaster some make them out to be.

tmarg

Yes, there are benefits to cheaper pricing, but all of them would still exist when Ori dropped to $5 naturally.

Clearly the developer had a strategy for their discounts in place, and I have no doubt that deviating from it this much will have an overall negative impact on their lifetime revenue.

chronomac

I don't think I've ever seen someone use the tweet option of Twitter's site to create a message like that. He couldn't have opened up Word and screen-capped that?

L.O.R.D

people who made negative response about this project are asshole ( my opinion )
just because it look like F zero they gave it negative and start trashing about it ?
or they just don't want other console to have a F zero game look like on non Nintendo console ?

some people start trashing about how the dev don't know about hoe gravity work
its a game , its not suppose to work 100% as the original F zero

Jawmuncher

people who made negative response about this project are asshole ( my opinion )
just because it look like F zero they gave it negative and start trashing about it ?
or they just don't want other console to have a F zero game look like on non Nintendo console ?

People get mad about games that look similar to others for some reason. Remember all the shit about PLaystation All Stars and Smash?

L.O.R.D

People get mad about games that look similar to others for some reason. Remember all the shit about PLaystation All Stars and Smash?

yab
and i still love digimon rumble arena ( the PS1 game ) over super smash
i play it all the time with my brother and friends

derExperte

Drive 3 laps in crazy racetracks.
Go with incredible highspeed!
If its too fast, you're too slow!

Looking like another game was their smallest problem.

Chariot

Goddamnit, dex. This isn't the first time, right? I think I remember him winning in to giveaways a few weeks ago. What is with the goddamn luck >:O

chronomac

The thing about the Ori price mistake is that, while he'll probably see a bigger check than usual because of this (it's the #4 best-selling game on Steam at the moment), it probably disrupts his future sale plans. Some of the people who took part in the $5 bananza might have bought the game for $10 if he put it on sale for that much in a couple months or $7.50 if he did that even later on (like, say, the Winter sale). For all we know he was going to use 3 or 4 sale points before dipping into the $5 area. On top of that, the people who just missed on the mistake might not want to dive in until that price comes around again.

All that being said, I bought the game. Do I feel bad? Only to a certain extent. It was on my wishlist but I had no plans of buying it for a long while.

Backlogger

Dang, busy day at work so I missed a price mistake. Regarding the price $5 is probably my trigger price whether it gets there naturally or by price mistake. I'm fine waiting another 6-12 months for it to get there naturally. My backlog has nothing but time.

I agree with the points made about future sales. Obviously by looking at the people that were able to request refunds, they were willing to pay that higher price at the time and now got it at a lower price. I'm sure Microsoft won't feel too much pain, but hopefully the devs are insulated from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom