• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2015 - Nothing To Buy With Our Arkham Knight Refunds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Am watching the Mad Max films for the first time; I loved Fury Road but these are dull :/

First film is so boring and the second so far isn't doing much better :/

Yeah, I know it's not Steam related :p

If you ask me Fury Road wasn't even that good, at least not as much as it was hyped up to be. Part of the reason I'm not too interested in the game. Liked the practical effects though.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of WinterDemons, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bloody Trapland -- MB-408C27DBE3D6CD1E - Taken by dot. 11 entrants total.

t1436231514z1.png

Am watching the Mad Max films for the first time; I loved Fury Road but these are dull :/

First film is so boring and the second so far isn't doing much better :/

Yeah, I know it's not Steam related :p

:(

Maybe you went into the films expecting something different, but to me the first 3 films are anything but boring or dull. Of course, opinions.

Tizoc

I consider that game to brothers in arms with me. It's an RPG Maker Horror Game that was posted on Greenlight the same day I posted Close Your Eyes onto Greenlight, near the same time, and we got Greenlit almost at the exact same time.

Very different games as that's a paid project I believe and uses a shooting system, but brothers in arms, man.

This is the kind of games I wanna see be made with RPG Maker, I know there a few out there, but we mostly see jRPG inspired games made using ti.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This is the kind of games I wanna see be made with RPG Maker, I know there a few out there, but we mostly see jRPG inspired games made using ti.

There's more than you may think, but it's still a rising idea. I wish more RPG Maker creators who've made some absolutely wonderful RPG Maker horror games would think about releasing them on Steam... Some can't because they use non royalty-free assets, but a number could, and some of them could even get through pretty easily I imagine with their fan bases.

Is Go Go Nippon good? I've always heard rumblings about it but never anything concise.

It's okay. Basically, imagine one of the dumbest protagonists around who knows nothing about Japan except what he see's in his Japanese anime, and that makes him an 'expert', coming to Japan and learning about miscellaneous things in Japan and being amazed by it all. Also, he was supposed to stay with two online friends who he thought were brothers, BUT TURNS OUT THEIR SISTERS, AND THEIR PARENTS ARE OUT OF TOWN, AND THEY TOTALLY HAVE A THING FOR YOU.

Also, the catchphrase of the character is, "Wooooooooowww!"

But, it's not bad. Sometimes it's educational, sometimes a bit too obvious what they're trying to teach you it's a bit funny, it's basically something like an info packet for things tourists might want to know about Japan as a tourist, but with the angle that it's also 'sort-of' a dating visual novel. While only two heroines, the game has some pretty interesting split path things as you get to choose where to visit day by day and some other choices that shape out things. And the game is sometimes dumb, but I fund it more hilariously so than straight-up bad or anything. It got a lot of giggles out of me.

shockdude

lol.
Honestly the main thing stopping me from grabbing the key is the fact that I already won Batman AA earlier this morning (thanks again Sheik).

GoGoNippon was kinda "nationalistic". I mean, I can understand that since thats the premise of the game, but lines like

"Wow. You can get cans out of a box?"
"Wow. I can sleep on the floor. That was my dream."
"You dont need to buy train tickets, but charge a travel card? Never saw that in my life."

It kinda felt the author was never outside of japan.

MUnited83

For you.
There's so, so many horror games made in RPG maker. Most of them are free and not on Steam, but they definitely exist.

Dusk Golem

GoGoNippon was kinda "nationalistic". I mean, I can understand that since thats the premise of the game, but lines like

"You dont need to buy train tickets, but charge a travel card? Never saw that in my life."

That was part of why it was hilarious.

Some things are interesting and I didn't know, but then there's just some things that make it sound like the character is a martian learning about human nature or something, and the simplest things just ABSOLUTELY AMAZE THE FUCK OUT OF HIM.

You're just jelly of the superior Japanese culture!

Dusk Golem

There's so, so many horror games made in RPG maker. Most of them are free and not on Steam, but they definitely exist.

Most definitely, they rose in popularity in 2012 thanks to a few very good ones being made, being translated by vgperson, and getting YouTube attention. The combo of Ib - Witch's House - Corpse Party (around the same time), - Ao Oni - Mad Father all getting attention within the span of a year made them more concrete.

A lot don't get finished, and for some reason a lot don't want to get on Greenlight, though some of them would for certain get new exposure and love on Steam. Some I understand can't because some of them use art and music assets they can't -officially- use, but then others, like Yume Nikki or Dreaming Mary, could easily get on Steam if they really wanted too.

I feel weird being one of the first games of its kind trying to get on Steam. The only one I really know of that's on Steam is Enigma: An Illusion Named Family.

(^Enigma, btw, is pretty good, and worth the $5 easily).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
As far as cross-platform ownership is concerned, it is perfectly possible for Ubi to provide existing owners of Uplay games with an optional Steam key, but that's never going to happen for the same reason that buying, say, Mass Effect 2 on Origin doesn't net you a Steam key. Valve setting up some sort of auto-grant system, assuming for the moment such a thing would even be viable, would be too much work for little gain as it's not Valve's place to give Steam users the Steam versions of third-party games they own elsewhere and publishers have long been able to request Steam keys to distribute as they please, completely free-of-charge.

Nononono, you misunderstand.

I'm talking the Uplay rights saying "oh he already owns it on that account" and not needing me to input the Steam key since Uplay already has the game registered to my account from a different place. It'd just let me launch the Steam version as normal because Uplay's DRM says "he owns it, let it boot."

Dusk Golem

Actually, since we're on the subject of RPG Maker Horror Games, here was my review of Enigma again since that game deserves more attention than it gets.

header.jpg

Steam Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/355570/
Enigma Opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep2fpcDiNmU

If you're a fan of RPG Maker horror games, this game is worth checking out. The game is more in-line with something like Crooked Man, Mermaid Swamp, or even Corpse Party than Ib, Witch's House, or the like, based partially on a more grounded and less fantastical setting (but still interesting and dark), a variety of drawn images appear throughout the game in special story moments, and the game is less focused on strict puzzle gameplay and more on exploring, finding items, avoiding the murderer, and visual novel-like story moments sprinkled with the occasional puzzle.

If you've never played an RPG Maker Horror Game, basically it's a horror game with a viewpoint like an old SNES RPG-type game but with a lack of turn-based battles and more focused on events, puzzles, chasers; but in this game's case with many visual novel scenes. This game is completely worth the $5 if you enjoy these kind of games. It's biggest flaw comes in its translation, as there are Engrish elements to it and some typos, but I never didn't understand what they were saying, and as I got more into the game, it became very easy to overlook and just enjoy. The only other thing is the game has some minor bugs, I ran into a few, but thankfully found nothing game-breaking, mainly some sequence breaking.

ss_a3f56cc406ddf382c17c044b5cb68e79a3de87ab.600x338.jpg

The game has good production values for an RPG Maker game. There's several animated videos, that look nice. The original and licensed music is all very good. The Korean voice acting is well-casted, sometimes they sound a bit dry and emotionless, but pull off many scenes wonderfully, and added rather than took away in my opinion.

This is all backed by a surprising story that was quite enjoyable, and surprisingly some good endings. Endings are something that can be hard to get right, but this game nailed it, and gave the game that extra omph to make the whole experience feel worth playing to the end. The game has three endings, all three are good though I do have a favorite, and all are worth getting; the ending doesn't just change the ending but radically changes the last third of the game for some very different gameplay and story experiences.

Game actually got me a few times with its scares and atmosphere, but didn't overly rely on cheap tricks. Mixed with the horror elements is a murder mystery that gets kind of gripping, and some humor sprinkled in and used to good effect. There's also in this game a deep-rooted morale about family, but it's one of the few times a game I feel doesn't push the morale in your face and didn't feel like it was preaching it to you or feel cringe-worthy or forced in anyway. Game also is of decent length, taking someone probably 5-7 hours to get the first ending, and about 5-7 hours to get the other two endings, and a lot of that second 5-7 hours being filled with new stuff.

ss_99208ae2a0dbe5357f138e6bc24352ffae924f76.600x338.jpg

Overall a very solid RPG Maker Horror game that can stand with some of the greats, worth it for fans of these type of games, or if you have an interest in horror games in general, murder mysteries with a spice of some psychological and surreal horror, or those wanting to try more pixelated games in the horror genre. Welcome to the family!

Outside of Enigma and a few turn-based RPG things with some light horror themes, Clandestinity of Elsie, and my own game, Close Your Eyes, are the first RPG Maker horror games to pop up on Steam I think, which is a bit surprising due to how many good ones are out there. There's a lot of crappy ones, but good ones definitely exist.

Hopefully only Dawn of War 1 being on sale doesn't mean the soon to be annouced 3 goes that route rather than the smaller scale of the second game. Both are great but there aren't many RTS games like Dawn of War 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom