• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it messed up the ad network, so they couldn't use it anymore.

I don't understand why GAF doesn't let you spit in the bucket for an ad-free experience. I'd gladly pay a few bucks a month, but I am never going to be clicking on (or even paying attention to) any of the ads.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
5zzb9Dx.gif

rapturet7scf.jpg

Walking sims shouldn't be 5 hours long. The sweet spot is 2 to 2.5 hours long. It doesn't matter how good your story or writing is. Despite that and the slow walking speed, it's a pretty decent follow-up to Dear Esther. The individual character stories are interesting enough, but the over-arching one never really gets intriguing. Oh yeah, fuck'em for that exclusivity period still and playing coy about a port.

head5bsck.jpg

I really liked the trailers for this and Double Fine has yet to put out a product that makes me write hateful things about them on the internet. And it's actually quite good. I loved the art direction and the general vibe the game has. The level design is errs on the side of Metroid-y and it works well with the head mechanic. The game also ended before I was tired of the core concept. Props to Lee Petty, such a cool dude.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Ucchedavāda;212034189 said:
I don't understand why GAF doesn't let you spit in the bucket for an ad-free experience. I'd gladly pay a few bucks a month, but I am never going to be clicking on (or even paying attention to) any of the ads.

There are some issues that would need to resolved on the vBulletin side (for example, currently banned users cannot actually view the site logged in, so we'd have to change that because people would pretty upset if they paid for no ads and then got banned for whatever); in addition, it would require tech support and dealing with chargebacks. Can't say it won't happen, I think long-term it will because of higher ad-block rates (>70% desktop, >30% mobile), but no progress on this front so far.

gngf123

Is there anywhere that I can download old 360 controller drivers? Apparently one of the possible fixes for my input lag is to download a driver from 2009.

Grief.exe

I had to bench Doom for a little bit once Overwatch came out, but I think I'll jump back in today.

I think it messed up the ad network, so they couldn't use it anymore.

It messed with many of the ad providers, so EviLore turned it off. He has since spent a lot of effort dropping our old ad partner (Curse) and switching to a new system, as well as building out functionality for reporting abusive ads. I know he wants to turn HTTPS back on soon.

That makes sense. Something that chokes the revenue stream isn't something that should be implemented.

Uzzy

I think the difference is, and correct me if I'm wrong, that it's not really a checkpoint, but more of a continue, so e.g. enemies killed will still be killed after you get revived. But I'm not 100% sure it behaved that way. If you had to do the entire encounter again, that would be ok, but I think you just got revived on the spot. dex3108, you just played through this, maybe you can chime in on this?

When I played through the game, I never got a sense of urgency from the combat system, the feeling I needed to dodge or at least do well, I hope you see where I'm coming from. In a game like SMB, you need to do well, even though the checkpoints are seamless. If you don't get a grip on the challenge presented, you won't pass. In PoP you'll pass without grasping the combat.

You're not wrong. It would have been nice if PoP rewarded you for mastery of its systems, or even had a complicated enough fighting system to support such a thing.

Still, it's heartbreaking to me that a game as beautiful as PoP never got a follow-up. Guess I'll just watch the trailer a few dozen times and weep into my dinner.

There are some issues that would need to resolved on the vBulletin side (for example, currently banned users cannot actually view the site logged in, so we'd have to change that because people would pretty upset if they paid for no ads and then got banned for whatever); in addition, it would require tech support and dealing with chargebacks. Can't say it won't happen, I think long-term it will because of higher ad-block rates (>70% desktop, >30% mobile), but no progress on this front so far.

Thanks for the clarification!

But with regards to bans, just make sure that the "You have been banned!" screen does not contain any ads when viewed by "premium" accounts, and you've lived up to your obligations. ;)

Kifimbo

I'm really late here, but I can't believe Alan Wake's American Nightmare is making me revisit the same places a third time. Not only that, but I'm doing the same fucking things AGAIN. What were they thinking ?

gngf123

Is there anywhere that I can download old 360 controller drivers? Apparently one of the possible fixes for my input lag is to download a driver from 2009.

Nevermind, fixed it.

Update driver -> Browse computer -> 2009 driver.

No need to download.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm really late here, but I can't believe Alan Wake's American Nightmare is making me revisit the same places a third time. Not only that, but I'm doing the same fucking things AGAIN. What were they thinking ?

Probably something along the lines of:

"Our budget got us 60 minutes of gameplay, how can we triple that for this arcade game?"

It messed with many of the ad providers, so EviLore turned it off. He has since spent a lot of effort dropping our old ad partner (Curse) and switching to a new system, as well as building out functionality for reporting abusive ads. I know he wants to turn HTTPS back on soon.

Can't wait for it to come back, it wasn't blocked at work.

fantomena

I loved Alan Wake, but I found American Nightmare to be pretty bad.

Would love an Alan Wake 2. They should have made that instead of QB.

Grief.exe

I loved Alan Wake, but I found American Nightmare to be pretty bad.

Would love an Alan Wake 2. They should have made that instead of QB.

The success the PC version found came too late to greenlight an Alan Wake 2 as Microsoft had already moved them onto other projects after the console version flopped.

Been playing around with Steam on Linux. I installed Lubuntu which looks nicer to my eyes.

Generally every game has been working pretty well. You have a few instances of bad ports (Saints Row) or games that clearly haven't been tested in a while (Audiosurf 2 has a library it needs that is difficult to find). But Stuff like Civ V, DOTA 2 and XCOM run and looks great. It's nice to have a slightly smaller game library too, for whatever weird subconscious reason.

I tried DOTA 2 for the first time and I see the appeal. I could never play competitively though. It's a pretty complicated game.

Nillansan

The success the PC version found came too late to greenlight an Alan Wake 2 as Microsoft had already moved them onto other projects after the console version flopped.

Alan Wake was such a great game, it deserved better. What saddens me the most is the fact that Remedy couldn't realise what they had originally envisioned. Despite moving a disappointing number of sales on console, I don't believe that we have seen the last of Alan Wake.

r3n4ud

These would be games

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 26 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Mystica The Ninth Society -- MB-A482FFC804328B02 - Taken by Ludens
Pills4Skills -- MB-11BF0A932AE9F641 - Taken by madjoki
VIOLET Space Mission -- MB-F963FA05BAC419E9 - Taken by Wok
The Apotheosis Project -- MB-ACBD3206661E1B02 - Taken by Mikurden
Magic Quest -- MB-31E69A1B10136C5E - Taken by fuzzy123
The Samaritan Paradox -- MB-712B9C61EA4D6314 - Taken by Mackenzie 92
Explosionade -- MB-2B52EC95D97145F5 - Taken by Eila
stratO -- MB-A03633B06F762616 - Taken by fspm
Urban Pirate -- MB-072968C34F854E84 - Taken by WinterDemons
Tales Across Time -- MB-4CDDFCBDE4A52555 - Taken by bigzgod
Super 3-D Noah's Ark -- MB-1C086623DBBCC19A - Taken by Dangerblade
A-Gents -- MB-8CAA2B4892C34EE7 - Taken by ExoSoul
Spellblast -- MB-97665D466F2BF8CB - Taken by SSPssp
123 Slaughter Me Street -- MB-03E8E3579133235F - Taken by septicore
FIVE Guardians of David -- MB-E10915F66652E724 - Taken by rainking187
The Bug Butcher -- MB-79539D7F9AB5557B - Taken by KenOD
Calibre 10 Racing -- MB-630D8B23BBEC9557 - Taken by fifasnipe2224
boxlife -- MB-B32F9BDE47B68076 - Taken by Catshade
Star Sky 2 -- MB-654B59DB0CD25EAB - Taken by redlacs
9 Clues 2 The Ward -- MB-E69CB6D66590936C - Taken by Kifimbo
ReignMaker -- MB-ED6448691080749A - Taken by voodooray
Super Helmets on Fire DX -- MB-BF465E6A7ACC9F88 - Taken by Purkake4
AdvertCity -- MB-2C201F5588972900 - Taken by longlivegaming
Empire of the Gods -- MB-4701F0515C9A4ACD - Taken by darkchewie
Where's My Helmet -- MB-8CA727AE0C2F7E39 - Taken by dot
Last Horizon -- MB-E59F8435F68BFF44 - Taken by illusionary

Grief.exe

Oh boy. Switched Doom over to Vulkan to test it out, now it crashes on start.

The ini file is just key binding options.

EDIT: Think I fixed it. Set +r_renderapi 0 in launch options.

Adnor

Banned
Diabotical Kickstarter.

Classic Arena Shooter by the GD Studios. 2GD was a Quake pro-gamer and the movement looks fantastic. I hope it's a success, we need more arena shooters.

Also next week is Quakecon so we'll finally see some gameplay of Quake Champions!

MUnited83

For you.
Guilty Gear X2 can be gotten for like 1.53$ with a bunch of other good games if you joing one of them IndoeGala HAPPY hour group buys.

rdytoroll

Bought Trails in the Sky for PC on a whim today. I haven't played a JRPG since the PS2 era, so this all feels new to me. I'm 3 hours into the game and I have to say I really like it, they really created a beautiful world. When I first saw Screenshots of it, I didn't like the look of it at all, looks so dated but I've come to like it now. Love how there's no Big Bad Evil #78 (yet?) and you're just helping people in the game world with small tasks.

I really hope I can stay motivated through the whole 50 hours or so it takes for a playthrough, but I already love the beginning.

Bought Trails in the Sky for PC on a whim today. I haven't played a JRPG since the PS2 era, so this all feels new to me. I'm 3 hours into the game and I have to say I really like it, they really created a beautiful world. When I first saw Screenshots of it, I didn't like the look of it at all, looks so dated but I've come to like it now. Love how there's no Big Bad Evil #78 (yet?) and you're just helping people in the game world with small tasks.

I really hope I can stay motivated through the whole 50 hours or so it takes for a playthrough, but I already love the beginning.

Glad to know you're enjoying it, it only gets better.
It's a long game but it's worth your time, trust me.

Yea, I've read many times that the game gets better and better towards the end. I'm excited
I just recently finished it (bought during summer sale).

It's pretty much good from start to finish, although I think combat early on with barely any skills and companions can be a downer. The character interaction, music and cutscenes make up for it though.

I hope you set the difficulty on Normal, because I finished it on Hard and the overall balance was WAY OFF (sooo not worth the trouble), and apparently broken from what others have said in the Trails thread.

Grief.exe

Diabotical Kickstarter.

Classic Arena Shooter by the GD Studios. 2GD was a Quake pro-gamer and the movement looks fantastic. I hope it's a success, we need more arena shooters.

Also next week is Quakecon so we'll finally see some gameplay of Quake Champions!

That gameplay looks smooth as hell.

$150,000 dollars for 14 member team and 10-12 months development time is absurd though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom