• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

AAAnd i also finished Prince of Persia (2008). Nice little game. It is a bit repetitive and both endings (main and DLC one) are not that good but all in all game is worth playing. Prince and Elika chemistry is great and i really love how they support each other during whole game. Also i liked banter between them. Game has beautiful artstyle that still holds up today (8 years after release) Here are few screens (i played in 4K downsampled to 1080p)

You should downsample those images to 1080p rather than keeping them at 4K.

That artstyle makes for an absolutely timeless game from a visual standpoint.

Fun fact i bought this game on GMG summer sale and i managed to finish it before sale ended :D

Those prices are very good for the Prince of Persia series. On Steam, the franchise is one of Ubisoft's forgotten series where they forget to discount the game appropriately or double check it has the requisite bundles available. I remember waiting years for Brothers in Arms, Rainbow Six, and Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery to go on proper discounts.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I mean, if Elika saves you at any point, you failed.
Just because you don't see a game over screen doesn't mean that you didn't just get your ass handed to you.

I never understand the "no fail state" complaint. It's as much a fail state as "restart checkpoint", except it keeps the gameplay seamless. All it is restarting the checkpoint without going to a menu. Do you consider Super Meat Boy to not have fail states because you instantly go back to the start of the level?

I think the difference is, and correct me if I'm wrong, that it's not really a checkpoint, but more of a continue, so e.g. enemies killed will still be killed after you get revived. But I'm not 100% sure it behaved that way. If you had to do the entire encounter again, that would be ok, but I think you just got revived on the spot. dex3108, you just played through this, maybe you can chime in on this?

When I played through the game, I never got a sense of urgency from the combat system, the feeling I needed to dodge or at least do well, I hope you see where I'm coming from. In a game like SMB, you need to do well, even though the checkpoints are seamless. If you don't get a grip on the challenge presented, you won't pass. In PoP you'll pass without grasping the combat.

dex3108

You should downsample those images to 1080p rather than keeping them at 4K.

That artstyle makes for an absolutely timeless game from a visual standpoint.

Those prices are very good for the Prince of Persia series. On Steam, the franchise is one of Ubisoft's forgotten series where they forget to discount the game appropriately or double check it has the requisite bundles available. I remember waiting years for Brothers in Arms, Rainbow Six, and Anno 1404/Dawn of Discovery to go on proper discounts.

I have them almost all in 1080p too but i decided to upload original 4K version on Flicker just in case. I can always download them and downsample to 1080p if i need. It is just strange that Flickr doesn't have 1080p or even 720p option (they for example have 900p).

That is why i bought it on GMG. I don't care if it is UPlay version 2.2$ was good price and i bought it. I have original trilogy on steam nad PoP 2008 + Forgotten Sands on UPlay.

Anteater

i bought ryse

i bet it's good

What is touch release and can you give an example?

oh I meant using the track pad touch function, you can make a menu and map a bunch of buttons to it and there's an overlay display that lets you choose when you touch the pad, or you could just map 4 buttons to it like a dpad, but touch release allows you to just touch it without having to click on it, it's much better than pressing the trackpad imo

Nzyme32

That's kind of a small upgrade... Like going from 960 to 970. :\

Indeed it is, especially for someone intending to go 21:9.

I assumed I could just coast on the 960 till the 1070 became more reasonably priced, but the prices are just absurd in the UK. The 960 I have is 2gb, and that VRAM just breaks everything. Current benches for the 1060 vs the 960 are enough of a step up to last me the year or two I think.

Either way I will move to an x70 card eventually, but now I wonder if I should just save money aside to move on a future x70 rather than the 1070. I got the 960 for £60 off ebay, and the 1060 for £200, meanwhile the 1070 is £430+.... just not worth the effort right now. So I think its better for me to wait with a 1060 and enjoy the upcoming games more fully than I could with the 960, while waiting for either the 1070 to drop in a reasonable timeframe or simply leave it till the 1170 or whatever shows up if it takes too long.

Good stuff. It's fairly regularly on sale, so you probably won't have long to wait if you choose to pick them up. You also don't need them for multiplayer, if you ever want to engage in that. We used to have regular multiplayer sessions here on GAF, but interest waned a little once Stellaris and Hearts of Iron came out.

do you know any particualr youtube channel to get the hangs on the game?

Anteater

i'm playing an xbox game

UMYAKxC.jpg
I did too.

Well, in Dynasty Warrior you could come up with your chain combos, you don't have to follow the same QTEs every time like in Ryse.

aww man

but i bet it's still gonna be great in a different way

Kaleinc

Banned
I never understand the "no fail state" complaint. It's as much a fail state as "restart checkpoint", except it keeps the gameplay seamless. All it is restarting the checkpoint without going to a menu. Do you consider Super Meat Boy to not have fail states because you instantly go back to the start of the level?
If meat boy respawned at the same spot he died (like PoP) then it would be as braindead and unchallenging without anyone remembering the game's name in a week. PoP has nice design which redeems bad gameplay a little.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Faeria -- MB-72389369AE47BED2 - Taken by dave is ok. 2 entrants total.

t1469983302z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
One of These Days I'll Get The Witcher 3 to Stop Crashing on Me - Log Entry #424209421842194812984291: Bumping up the vcore a little more appeared to cure my woes... until I suffered a sudden restart after ~four-and-a-half hours of play. Whether the end is in sight or the 260ish-minute session was just a ridiculous stroke of luck remains to be seen. I can at least be certain that my GPU is not the culprit as using a mate's stock standard 980 did not help. The only other component that could be throwing a spanner into the works is the motherboard itself, but if this were the case then surely Prime95 would also trigger restarts.

One of These Days I'll Get The Witcher 3 to Stop Crashing on Me - Log Entry #424209421842194812984291: Bumping up the vcore a little more appeared to cure my woes... until I suffered a sudden restart after ~four-and-a-half hours of play. Whether the end is in sight or the 260ish-minute session was just a ridiculous stroke of luck remains to be seen. I can at least be certain that my GPU is not the culprit as using a mate's stock standard 980 did not help.

I have the GOG version of Witcher 3 but I don't believe I've ever had it crash on me as far as I can remember

Knurek

One of These Days I'll Get The Witcher 3 to Stop Crashing on Me - Log Entry #424209421842194812984291: Bumping up the vcore a little more appeared to cure my woes... until I suffered a sudden restart after ~four-and-a-half hours of play. Whether the end is in sight or the 260ish-minute session was just a ridiculous stroke of luck remains to be seen. I can at least be certain that my GPU is not the culprit as using a mate's stock standard 980 did not help. The only other component that could be throwing a spanner into the works is the motherboard itself, but if this were the case then surely Prime95 would also trigger restarts.

If you're having system restarts only while playing Witcher 3, which is known to murder GPU and CPU both, I'd imagine it's PSU related. Sudden spike in amperage or whatnot.
(I am aware you switched to a new one. Some wiring maybe? Or just the power slot on the GPU?)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I have the GOG version of Witcher 3 but I don't believe I've ever had it crash on me as far as I can remember

It was fine on my 2600K system after a bit of post-release TLC. I had exactly zero issues in the time between starting a new game and my upgrade.

If you're having system restarts only while playing Witcher 3, which is known to murder GPU and CPU both, I'd imagine it's PSU related. Sudden spike in amperage or whatnot.

I thought I'd narrowed down the issue to the PSU, so I bought a new one to no avail.

dex3108

I would really like to go and play Assassin's Creed Rogue but there wasn't any good deal for that game in a long time :(

I looked at my Steam Library what to play next and nothing really looks that interesting (i mean i know what i want to play but i am waiting to purchase new GPU for those). I thought about Splinter cell games but i am not in the mood to do SC marathon so i am mostly looking for one to two games in franchise. So any recommendations SteamGAF?

Here is my Steam Library.

Anteater

I would really like to go and play Assassin's Creed Rogue but there wasn't any good deal for that game in a long time :(

I looked at my Steam Library what to play next and nothing really looks that interesting (i mean i know what i want to play but i am waiting to purchase new GPU for those). I thought about Splinter cell games but i am not in the mood to do SC marathon so i am mostly looking for one to two games in franchise. So any recommendations SteamGAF?

alan wake american nightmare

or wolfenstein

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member

Chaos Theory.

And give Wolfenstein TNO a try ;)

Tizoc

Cheapest I could find Batman Telltale is USD 18 from Traders. Hope it'll hit 50% off by year's end. If this ends up being good, I may break my rule and get this for USD 10 at the most :X

Phinor

Cheapest I could find Batman Telltale is USD 18 from Traders. Hope it'll hit 50% off by year's end. If this ends up being good, I may break my rule and get this for USD 10 at the most :X

My stance on Telltale is to first wait until the last episode is dated and then waiting for the next Steam sale to actually buy the whole season. It's weird, I want to play most Telltale games but I'm also very happy to just wait.

I heard Batman episodes might come out at a faster pace? Anything concrete on this rumour?

AHA-Lambda

My stance on Telltale is to first wait until the last episode is dated and then waiting for the next Steam sale to actually buy the whole season. It's weird, I want to play most Telltale games but I'm also very happy to just wait.

I heard Batman episodes might come out at a faster pace? Anything concrete on this rumour?

Yeah they said they were planning to get them all out by year end. Seems TT have been producing episodes quicker ever since Minecraft

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Rogue is a boring combo of 3 and 4. None of the all around greatness of 3 and I had my fill of the boat in 4.

Anteater

Wolfenstein is one of those games that are waiting new GPU :/ (Any game that is younger than 2 years is more-less no go for me (i want to enjoy in good graphics :D). Alan Wake is good recommendation though i will consider it.

wolfenstein ran well on my 760 gtx without reflection, you may want to try it, but it's a huge download

if you want something different and if you're bored, you could try mini ninja, it's actually pretty decent

Tizoc

Yeah they said they were planning to get them all out by year end. Seems TT have been producing episodes quicker ever since Minecraft

Yeah Minecraft released in a far faster pace than what one would expect from Telltale so it'd be nice if it applies to Batman too.

What does that mean?

Well I'm a little nitpicky about my comic book stories and with Telltale games being more about characters I'm gonna take a wait and see approach with this game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What happened to GAF https?

It messed with many of the ad providers, so EviLore turned it off. He has since spent a lot of effort dropping our old ad partner (Curse) and switching to a new system, as well as building out functionality for reporting abusive ads. I know he wants to turn HTTPS back on soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom