• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried out laserlife and hangeki from my sale buys so far.

Laserlife is disappointing.
The controls for the rhythm gameplay are not fun, the music is mediocre, and you have to replay the same song like 4 times before getting a new one?
Id refund it (it would be my first ever refund), but it was only $2.50.
I wouldn't want that to count towards a limit or something.

Hangeki is awesome.
Feels a little low budget, but it controls great and has a fantastic gameplay loop. Better rhythm to the gameplay than in the rhythm game I just dissed :p.
I got to like level 6 though and am not sure how much farther I'll be able to make it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

AdvertCity -- MB-0D1148849849A61D - Taken by Catshade

modbot wont even pull up a picture huh? harsh

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hey you know how we say more and more "yeah ill wait for it to be bundled" especially with indie games? Check out the store page for MU Complex

"Hack your way into the complex, all by yourself.
Mu Complex won't be available in a bundle anytime soon, we can promise you that."

lol >_<

Its a problem, one that I dont know how devs will fix, I dont see how you put that genie back in the bottle.

Kifimbo

That second one worries me. Does that mean people settled for the lower discounts knowing that the prices wouldn't change? Does it mean that we'll see even less discounting in the future?

Each game has a discount curve that will maximize revenues in the long-run. That discount curve is milder for games like GTA V and CS:GO and steeper for some average indie games for example.

I think what we are seeing is companies/studios waiting longer to offer deeper discounts. And they are also not going lower than 75% in most cases. So they'll repeat the 75% off forever (excluding bundles).

Wok

A new game is going to be released in 4 days. The description says the player switches between 3 characters: a human, a dog, and a chicken (or maybe an eagle). I find the indecision regarding the bird hilarious.

2NE4zWm.png

yofWQVh.png

POc5LVW.png

Tizoc

I took the opportunity to get in early on the Fruit Ninja VR Steam discussions to port beg Raskulls, a really truly outstanding XBLA title by Halfbrick that has been lost to the ages. Raskulls combines the racing mode from Kirby Super Star, Mr. Dig/Do, Battleblock Theatre, Tetris, and a whole lot more. It's absolutely loaded with content including an enormous campaign and a ton of multiplayer race levels. The characters are great. It's really, honestly an A+ title that never got the community it deserved on XBLA.

There is a 0% chance they'll port it since I think everyone involved with the game has since moved on and the company has been through a lot of staff changes (when NeoGAF member Rlan worked there I would send him a PM every 6 months or so to remind him I wanted a Raskulls port, but he's not with them anymore unfortunately) and pivoted their business model towards software as a service rather than traditional games.

But I just wanted to make the case very briefly and be satisfied knowing that some junior social media producer or whatever at the company briefly saw my post and thought "Raskulls? What the hell is that. LOL I've only been working here 6 weeks. Fruit Ninja VR is a best of breed experience. Okay I'm taking a job with a real estate company now." and hopefully during that train of thought passed the message along to someone who worked on the game or could make a decision:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/486780/discussions/0/358417008718588204/

You have my axe, sword and bow.

dex3108

Oh look Rise of the Tomb Raider patch.

This patch includes the following improvements:
  • Adds DirectX12 Multi-GPU support. Many of you have requested this, so DirectX 12 now supports NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFireX configurations.
  • The benefits of DirectX 12 are still the same, but now you are less likely to be GPU bottlenecked and can reach higher framerates due to the improved CPU utilization DirectX 12 offers.
  • Adds utilization of DirectX 12 Asynchronous Compute, on AMD GCN 1.1 GPUs and NVIDIA Pascal-based GPUs, for improved GPU performance.
    On the latest Windows 10 version, V-sync can now be disabled (Windows Store version), and behavior of disabled V-sync has been improved (Steam version).
  • Improvements to stereoscopic 3D rendering, including fixes for NIVIDA Surround and AMD Eyefinity in combination with stereoscopic 3D.
  • Improved default settings for certain integrated GPUs.
  • Removes the Voidhammer Shotgun for users that do not have Cold Darkness Awakens DLC or have not yet unlocked it by rescuing prisoners in Cold Darkness Awakens.
  • A fix for a save issue where some game state could get lost in very rare circumstances.
  • This patch force-disables the Steam Overlay when using DirectX 12. This is due to stability issues with the Steam Overlay in combination with DirectX 12. (You can re-enable with the -enablesteamoverlay launch argument)
  • A fix for crashes with VXAO enabled on NVIDIA GTX1080 cards.
  • A variety of other smaller optimizations, bug-fixes, and tweaks.

vermadas

Not that rare since her ult can give her a ton of heat.
A Winston or Simmetra POTG, now that's rare.

I had a Symmetra PotG a few days ago that featured me walking back to the defense point from spawn while my turrets got three quick kills on the objective. Just like those Torb turret PotGs that everyone hates.

Still hoping for a good mech game. Got MAV when it was free but it's a bit too Early Access though.

Might not be the sort of mech game you are looking for, but Brigador is pretty fantastic. It's isometric Desert/Jungle Strike style, and hard as nails, but there's good variety in the frames and weapons you can put on them, and the missions have some interesting variety. The soundtrack and lighting are both killer too.

Grief.exe

That thread about Steam, open-ness and DRM...

*popcorn*

Just ducked into that thread too.

The OP has been moving goalposts, actively calling people mad/salty for bringing up inconsistencies with his knowledge base, frequently committing fallacies, and now he is calling himself a computer scientist and been gaming on PC for decades.

I'm leaning towards troll thread.

So being new to PC gaming, I haven't bought a $60 on release day yet but I'm totally in for No Man's Sky. Will I just need to eat it and pay the $60 or is there any discounts to be found?

Hektor

That thread about Steam, open-ness and DRM...

*popcorn*

I lik how the Op and some dude want to make it look like OP's gettin bullied when everything he's been doping is insulting and complaining about other people that called him out on factually wrong statements regarding his own argument.

I sure do hope neither of those two people are beeing serious.

derExperte

The Disgaea TF2 items are available (but not tradeable) now. Start TF2 to get them.

I lik how the Op and some dude want to make it look like OP's gettin bullied when everything he's been doping is insulting and complaining about other people that called him out on factually wrong statements regarding his own argument.

I sure do hope neither of those two people are beeing serious.

Assuming they are two people. If you know what I mean. Having some doubts. Anyway, worst thread of the week during one of the worst weeks GAF ever had, my ignore list would be beyond the limit without GAF Gold.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I feel like that openness thread might be the perfect place for me to argue about GOG's account wall.

Momentary

Banned
Senran Kagura Estival Versus and Fate/Extella better be making their way over to STEAM. I need some actual good Musou with actual good performance.

I'm keeping my expectations as low as possible for Berserk.

Asgaro

Ok so Pokemon GO seems to be the shit right now, all my friends are playing this - random people on the street at certain points all seem to be playing it (I don't know what a gym is but apparently one of my friends has a strong pokemon at a gym??

Now I'm starting to get the urge to play it too.

Seems the impressions are very good (aside from the server hickups).
Hope it's still as popular within 2 months, since I don't have time right now.

Also glad my current smartphone (Sony Xperia Z3 Compact) has above average battery life: 2 days on 1 charge with normal usage.
I've read about users going out with a power bank for very long Pokémon GO sessions lmao.

Might not be the sort of mech game you are looking for, but Brigador is pretty fantastic. It's isometric Desert/Jungle Strike style, and hard as nails, but there's good variety in the frames and weapons you can put on them, and the missions have some interesting variety. The soundtrack and lighting are both killer too.
That's actually still on my wishlist. Probably should have got it during the sale but, I forgot.
Titanfall is a pretty good game.

Not calling Titanfall a bad game but, that certainly is more of a shooter that just happens to have robots in it imo. I mean a game like Armored Core, Chromehounds etc.

Grief.exe

If you look at Steam Spy numbers, you can see why Valve logically moved in the direction they did.

People wonder why they don't support their fans by releasing Half-Life 3, but in reality they are supporting a plurality, if not a majority, of their fan base by releasing games like Dota and CS.

Looking at SteamSpy, Half-Life 2 is approaching 10 million sales, with the rest of the Half-Life series around 5 million each. While CS:GO is approaching 23 million and quickly growing with DOTA 2 bringing in millions more users.

With the way their management structure works, you have to justify what you are working on to the company in order to get convince people to provide more resources. There is no logical justification for Half-Life 3 outside of nostalgia and emotional arguments unfortunately.

The hidden upgrades are almost meant to be found. I remember one boss I was doing 2 damage per hit and it was damn near impossible. Then I went back, found the upgrade, and I was doing 20 damage per hit. It was much more manageable.
That is the truth. After getting mopped the floor by him several times, I went to base-camp to talk with folks. Turns out I had an ore in my inventory. Upgraded weapon and viola, damage-output became sufficient.

Pretty well designed boss-fight I have to say. Challenging but never once frustrating... for now *knocks on wood

I just want a Musou that runs. Also, I have an addiction towards super moves in Musou games. Only thing that would make Senran Kagura perfect is having an option for the clothes not to fly off. I think Estival Versus has that option.

Yeah. They added that function in the PC version a few days ago.

But even then, the game is really not good and isnt really a Musou. It feels like a cheap doujingame.

Lomax

If you look at Steam Spy numbers, you can see why Valve logically moved in the direction they did.

People wonder why they don't support their fans by releasing Half-Life 3, but in reality they are supporting a plurality, if not a majority, of their fan base by releasing games like Dota and CS.

Looking at SteamSpy, Half-Life 2 is approaching 10 million sales, with the rest of the Half-Life series around 5 million each. While CS:GO is approaching 23 million and quickly growing with DOTA 2 bringing in millions more users.

With the way their management structure works, you have to justify what you are working on to the company in order to get convince people to provide more resources. There is no logical justification for Half-Life 3 outside of nostalgia and emotional arguments unfortunately.

I think the problem is more that they know they can't do a mid tier Half Life 3. Which means it would need a GTA type budget and commitment, and they just aren't going to do that. For that matter they can't do that, they don't have the manpower. They can do a game like L4D3 with a smallish group and get it out eventually and still have it be profitable but not HL3.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/bethesda-games/#b

Bethesda sale on GMG. Notably FO4 for 50% off and another 20% off using the code JULY20 for total of $23.99.

Funny how once they announce the free upgrade path for the Skyrim remaster they stop giving the legendary edition the discount it's been getting for years.

I think the problem is more that they know they can't do a mid tier Half Life 3. Which means it would need a GTA type budget and commitment, and they just aren't going to do that. For that matter they can't do that, they don't have the manpower. They can do a game like L4D3 with a smallish group and get it out eventually and still have it be profitable but not HL3.

The thing is that the games they do now are more like "services" than games. A L4D3 can easily be a service with an own economy, hats and things like that.

Would be harder for HL2. You saw they tried to do it with Portal 2, but they noticed no one would buy these things for a SP/coop game you just finish once.

Amzin

Its a problem, one that I dont know how devs will fix, I dont see how you put that genie back in the bottle.

I think people here overestimate how many people buy bundles regularly. The amount of quality indie titles I've had my eye on that haven't been in bundles yet is pretty high if there really was some genie-in-the-bottle thing going on here.

Edit: as an example, my brother, who has bought probably a dozen humble bundles, only even knows about decent bundles (humble or otherwise) when I let him know. He also generally goes for cheaper stuff on steam sales. But bundles just aren't something on his radar even having used them multiple times.

Interesting numbers there. More than a little disturbing to see so much of the revenue slanting towards the newer more expensive games.

I don't see why that's disturbing, that's how most sales have always been. Keep in mind the expensive, full-price or almost full-price AAA games that have topped the previous Steam sales. Also keep in mind that game buying has always been that way, we just have a biased view of it in the Steam thread because we're a hardcore sale-seeking minority. Most people buy a game at release or preorder or shortly after release, and then other people trickle in over the years, but there's no magic breakpoint where suddenly everyone buys a game. People are STILL buying Skyrim/Fallout 3/New Vegas and those have all been on super sale a billion times.

Lomax

The thing is that the games they do now are more like "services" than games. A L4D3 can easily be a service with an own economy, hats and things like that.

Would be harder for HL2. You saw they tried to do it with Portal 2, but they noticed no one would buy these things for a SP/coop game you just finish once.

I understand that, but not every game has to be like that to be profitable. You can make L4D3 for $30 million and expect $100 million in revenue and be fine. But you can't make a $30 million dollar version of HL3 and release it without the Internet going insane.

Erugh. Guess I'll have to download TF2 again. Maybe they'll eventually be like the damn earbuds I never bothered to get when I had the chance to.

Just "run" it using sam and you'll get the items.

I think people here overestimate how many people buy bundles regularly. The amount of quality indie titles I've had my eye on that haven't been in bundles yet is pretty high if there really was some genie-in-the-bottle thing going on here.

Edit: as an example, my brother, who has bought probably a dozen humble bundles, only even knows about decent bundles (humble or otherwise) when I let him know. He also generally goes for cheaper stuff on steam sales. But bundles just aren't something on his radar even having used them multiple times.

I don't see why that's disturbing, that's how most sales have always been. Keep in mind the expensive, full-price or almost full-price AAA games that have topped the previous Steam sales. Also keep in mind that game buying has always been that way, we just have a biased view of it in the Steam thread because we're a hardcore sale-seeking minority. Most people buy a game at release or preorder or shortly after release, and then other people trickle in over the years, but there's no magic breakpoint where suddenly everyone buys a game. People are STILL buying Skyrim/Fallout 3/New Vegas and those have all been on super sale a billion times.

No, look at his numbers. The slant towards games with lower discounts was drastic. The average game at 66% off made half what it did last year. There was a significant year on year shift. What you're describing is the console market. PC has been a long tale market, and signs of that changing is not a good thing.

hey you know how we say more and more "yeah ill wait for it to be bundled" especially with indie games? Check out the store page for MU Complex

"Hack your way into the complex, all by yourself.
Mu Complex won't be available in a bundle anytime soon, we can promise you that."

lol >_<

Wow, that the dev even felt the need to say that as the very first thing in the game info is crazy. Would be neat to see the gamut of thoughts about bundles from indie devs with experience in those.
I have the following specs:

i5 3350P overclocked at 3.7 Ghz
GTX 970
8 GB RAM

Will this run Doom at 1080p?
Yes, very likely even at High settings. Source: I have a very similar setup and tried the demo. Runs well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom