• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone having issues with Steam servers at the moment? Login scream says steam is under a heavy load at the moment and I can't get my inventory or a game to connect in CS:go.

Welp, 4/5 Total Warhammer campaigns CONQUERED. Time for something a little different.

Tell me everything y'all know about Risen 3, 'cause I'm about to be wading into it. The store page description is surprisingly vague, considering it's bullet-pointed...

mp1990

Banned
Welp, 4/5 Total Warhammer campaigns CONQUERED. Time for something a little different.

Tell me everything y'all know about Risen 3, 'cause I'm about to be wading into it. The store page description is surprisingly vague, considering it's bullet-pointed...

Isn't Risen 3 the worst in the franchise and also a mess of bugs and glitches? And I don't think the Risen series was ever particularly known for quality. I recall reviews ripping it apart back at release, but it might still be a fun game to play.

Buraindo

Isn't Risen 3 the worst in the franchise and also a mess of bugs and glitches? And I don't think the Risen series was ever particularly known for quality. I recall reviews ripping it apart back at release, but it might still be a fun game to play.

Don't know about 3, but 2 was a mess as far as I'm concerned. Clunky combat and poor performance. I mean, I can deal with clunkiness, but Risen 2 was beyond tolerable.
First one I enjoyed somewhat, though it did take a lot of getting used to.

mp1990

Banned
Don't know about 3, but 2 was a mess as far as I'm concerned. Clunky combat and poor performance. I mean, I can deal with clunkiness, but Risen 2 was beyond tolerable.
First one I enjoyed somewhat, though it did take a lot of getting used to.

Well nevermind, somehow I was confusing the Risen series with Sacred, which doesn't even belongs to the same genre lol (granted, that franchise isn't hold on high regards neither). I really gotta get some sleep ><

I believe I played Risen 2 for a short bit, but nothing outstanding came from it, so you're better off going for something else.

Corpekata

Banned
Risen 3 isn't a good game but I liked it. It's weird. The devs have the right sort of balance of quests + exploration nailed down for the most part. It's not something I would recommend outright but if you have tolerance for eurojank it's worth experiencing.

Risen 1 is a good game, and I'd classify 2 and 3 more as interesting failures that just manage to tickle my fancy.

Lomax

Risen 2 seemed to be trying to be a cool pirate game, and we don't have enough cool pirate games. I think Risen 3 ditched that angle though. I think if you told me Risen 2 was 15 hours long I'd definitely play it but as a massive rpg I just never feel like getting stated.

Soulflarz

Banned
Risen 3 isn't a good game but I liked it. It's weird. The devs have the right sort of balance of quests + exploration nailed down for the most part. It's not something I would recommend outright but if you have tolerance for eurojank it's worth experiencing.

Risen 1 is a good game, and I'd classify 2 and 3 more as interesting failures that just manage to tickle my fancy.

My friends and I all agree
Great game>Awful game>Mediocre game

At least you can write something about the first two and get an experience from it. Hell, it might be so awful it becomes enjoyable in some twisted sense, Deadly Premonition style!

Corpekata

Banned
Risen 2 seemed to be trying to be a cool pirate game, and we don't have enough cool pirate games. I think Risen 3 ditched that angle though. I think if you told me Risen 2 was 15 hours long I'd definitely play it but as a massive rpg I just never feel like getting stated.

It's still there, though the stakes of the story are a bit higher so it's a bit less high seas adventure in tone.

One of the weirdest things about Risen 3 is that it features a new main character but has him in the orbit of nearly all the Risen 2 characters and plot, and he's not that different of a lead so it becomes sort of baffling why they even switched.

mp1990

Banned
Can we talk about Sacred 2 tho

because now that I'm refreshing my memories about it, I'm reminded that it was one of the first games where the developers stated the world's size as a big feature (if I recall correctly, he said that it would took 9 hours from going to one end of the map to another), and I got so impressed with it. Man we were naive back then.

Lomax

Can we talk about Sacred 2 tho

because now that I'm refreshing my memories about it, I'm reminded that it was one of the first games where the developers stated the world's size as a big feature (if I recall correctly, he said that it would took 9 hours from going to one end of the map to another), and I got so impressed with it. Man we were naive back then.

I spent a ton of time getting mods and stuff set up for Sacred 2 and then barely ended up playing it at all.

Lomax

Could it be it was more fun to mod the game rather than play it?

I dunno that I'd call it fun to mod, I just remember installing a bunch of stuff like fan patches and little tweaks that seemed important or useful and then the game just sort of started off slow and I got distracted after a couple hours and never went back to it. I've had the same problem with basically any long game in recent years, I just can't mentally commit to anything really long unless it's easy to play in bite sized chunks. My list of unplayed rpgs has been growing since my early days on Steam. Hell one of my first summer sale purchases ever was a bundle of Gothic 2&3 and I played one of them once for like a half hour.

EDIT: NVM I was confusing it with Sacred 3 @_@

There's a part of me morbidly curious about Sacred 3 since I have no real expectations.

PARANO1A

Sacred 2 was amazing, damn the haters. Lots of interesting character builds and a huge game experience so you got to see the end if your build without needing to play the same content a dozen times.

Also - somewhat unique classes rather than just Magic one, Strong one, Bow one, hybrid one,etc.

Wish the pc version had controller support.

Lomax

Sacred 2 was amazing, damn the haters. Lots of interesting character builds and a huge game experience so you got to see the end if your build without needing to play the same content a dozen times.

Also - somewhat unique classes rather than just Magic one, Strong one, Bow one, hybrid one,etc.

Wish the pc version had controller support.

I think the haters were just for Sacred 3, I heard almost universal praise for Sacred 2 and it's definitely on my "should go back to" list, but that list is very long.

Hektor

Risen 3 is the sequel to risen 2 which was the sequel to risen 1 which was the spiritual successor to Gothic 3 which was the sequel to Gothic 2 which was the sequel to Gothic 1.
It's also the prequel to ELEX aka gothic in space because piranha bytes never made a game that isn't Gothic.

I think the haters were just for Sacred 3, I heard almost universal praise for Sacred 2 and it's definitely on my "should go back to" list, but that list is very long.

Most of the Sacred 3 hate is just because it's a completely different kind of game from Sacred 1 and 2, but Sacred 3 is a good game too.

I wanted to like Sacred 2, but the camera angle kills it.

Meanwhile Sacred 3 is an abomination, if only for how blatantly it sacrificed the IP. It was like an X-COM --> The Bureau level of misguidedness. (And even worse in Sacred's case, because it had the double-whammy of Sacred: Citadel vs. The Bureau's XCOM.)
It's still there, though the stakes of the story are a bit higher so it's a bit less high seas adventure in tone.

One of the weirdest things about Risen 3 is that it features a new main character but has him in the orbit of nearly all the Risen 2 characters and plot, and he's not that different of a lead so it becomes sort of baffling why they even switched.
So far Risen 3 seems like a huge step back from Risen 2. R2 embraced the pirate-y nature and sheer absurdity of itself, whereas Risen 3 is like "what if the Witcher sucked" so far. It has the eurojank, but none of the charm. Like, it feels like it's just going through the motions... I'd swear they were trying to mimic the Witcher 3 with a lot of their design decisions, but IIRC they were both in development around the same time, so... yeah.

I also really miss R2's protagonist. R3's is bland and burdened with a terrible script and VO. Has none of the previous protag's charisma.

Oh, and the combat. I know people complainted about R2's (I played it late when it was patched and liked didn't mind it) but R3's is leagues worse. It is Animation Lock: The Game.

I'm only like two hours in, so maybe it will improve.
...Maybe.

R2 is a lot of fun in this respect, yeah. It's the closest we'll probably ever get to Jack Sparrow's RPG. Especially since Raven's Cry was such a massively crushing, black-hole-tier of a disappointment.

Asgaro

Aw shit, fresh thread.

Zc9uOZP.png

Risen 3 is like on my top list on my backlog. The game is installed and ready to play. I'm somewhat immune to jankiness. Let's see how far I can go with it later. Sadly I'm hundreds of kilometers away from home right now.

Tizoc

This DoE key isn't redeemed last I chceked ^^;
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Tizoc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Next Door -- MB-2EFBD5CCA422F0CF
PGP3OVL.png
System Shock 2 GOG Key -- MB-FD88878B09999573
Dungeon of the Endless: Crystal Pack -- MB-17143442AD60138D - Taken by Ludens. 13 entrants total.

t1467985294z1.png

Kaleinc

Banned
I wanted to like Sacred 2, but the camera angle kills it.
Sacred 2 is another low effort arpg full of bugs. Some attacks miss for no reason, doesn't have that meaty satisfying impact on hit, loot is garbage. Bosses are awful.
Visuals are decent for its time and that's it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Stallion Free said:
After completion I think I prefer Limbo over Inside. The puzzles are definitely easier. Still an excellent game and definitely a cool experience. I hope they don't take another six years to make the next game though.

Really, I disagree.

Inside has a really strong first impression but that lasts maybe 20 minutes. I'm not sure how far I am (
still in the sub but been in it for a while
), and maybe the ending will be so amazing that it will blow me away, but so far this is a slightly better version of Limbo,

I think the biggest problem is that its boring. It starts out great, it looks amazing, you feel like you're on the hunt and the physical interaction is incredibly immersive but then you quickly find yourself in drab rooms solving really simple physics puzzles.

I haven't finished it either but I kinda want to replay it already. But I get your points, and overall the game is definitely easier than Limbo.

But actually... In that genre for me Unravel beats both. Very underrated game, loved it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Surprised at the dislike for Risen 3, I thought it was excellent tbh and really enjoyed it. Obviously eurojanky but it was a much more fun game than 2. Risen 1 was great as well.

Jadax

Ok so Pokemon GO seems to be the shit right now, all my friends are playing this - random people on the street at certain points all seem to be playing it (I don't know what a gym is but apparently one of my friends has a strong pokemon at a gym??

Now I'm starting to get the urge to play it too.

Deques

Ok so Pokemon GO seems to be the shit right now, all my friends are playing this - random people on the street at certain points all seem to be playing it (I don't know what a gym is but apparently one of my friends has a strong pokemon at a gym??

It's not available here :/

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Wooden Floor 1 -- MB-1D13A499FEEAD67E - Taken by pantsattack

Xater

There are better mobile games out this week than to waste time on that.

Nordicus

I wish it wasn't a rogue-like/procedurally-generated. I'd actually buy it at $30 then.
I get the sentiment, even if I on the other hand am interested because of those reasons.

My main concern is that at the moment 95% of the footage is sword&board (there have been snippets of axe, hammer and an off-hand crossbow) and that might get repetitive unless the roguelite aspect unlocks some seriously gameplay changing stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom