• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I haven't finished it either but I kinda want to replay it already. But I get your points, and overall the game is definitely easier than Limbo.

But actually... In that genre for me Unravel beats both. Very underrated game, loved it.
I'm holding out on a better sale for Unravel, but I'm still very interested.

Arthea

I think people from europe and america have different standards. Those games were quite succesfull and popular in Europe, but somehow americans didnt like it.

quite successful is understatement, they had a cult status, at least Gothic II had. I know some gamers that still play it.

Mivey

I'm not so sure Gothic games are jank, euro or not, not all anyway
I love Gothic 1 and 2. But their UI is so weird and counter intuitive at first, it is just janky.
The other thing is, and might have made a bunch of journalists frustrated playing it: You start as an absolute 0 in this game, you can't beat shit. The tiniest monster is a serious threat to you, and any fight with the guards will end with you getting one-hitted. Of course, by the end of the game you are an unbeatable god who commands lightning and fire, but you have to actually earn it, unlike other games.

Corpekata

Banned
Eurojank to me is the sort of sloppy and unpolished systems typically found in a lot of low-mid budget Euro games, usually combat. There's a reason so many groused about Witcher 3's combat, it has all the issues and it's probably by far the most polished version of it.

I love a lot of euro-RPGs, but 9/10 of them have combat that at best approaches tolerable.

Arthea

I love Gothic 1 and 2. But their UI is so weird and counter intuitive at first, it is just janky.
The other thing is, and might have made a bunch of journalists frustrated playing it: You start as an absolute 0 in this game, you can't beat shit. The tiniest monster is a serious threat to you, and any fight with the guards will end with you getting one-hitted. Of course, by the end of the game you are an unbeatable god who commands lightning and fire, but you have to actually earn it, unlike other games.

well, that's how RPGs used to be, have we forgotten already?

Sold! now I want to play them.

Arthea

I genuinely pity people new to the game who will be stuck waiting after that EP4 red wall of text ending for Mangagamer to release the second part of the game.
Way, way worse than TitS 1st->2nd scenario.

worse than 4 years of waiting?

Parsnip

I took the opportunity to get in early on the Fruit Ninja VR Steam discussions to port beg Raskulls, a really truly outstanding XBLA title by Halfbrick that has been lost to the ages. Raskulls combines the racing mode from Kirby Super Star, Mr. Dig/Do, Battleblock Theatre, Tetris, and a whole lot more. It's absolutely loaded with content including an enormous campaign and a ton of multiplayer race levels. The characters are great. It's really, honestly an A+ title that never got the community it deserved on XBLA.

There is a 0% chance they'll port it since I think everyone involved with the game has since moved on and the company has been through a lot of staff changes (when NeoGAF member Rlan worked there I would send him a PM every 6 months or so to remind him I wanted a Raskulls port, but he's not with them anymore unfortunately) and pivoted their business model towards software as a service rather than traditional games.

But I just wanted to make the case very briefly and be satisfied knowing that some junior social media producer or whatever at the company briefly saw my post and thought "Raskulls? What the hell is that. LOL I've only been working here 6 weeks. Fruit Ninja VR is a best of breed experience. Okay I'm taking a job with a real estate company now." and hopefully during that train of thought passed the message along to someone who worked on the game or could make a decision:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/486780/discussions/0/358417008718588204/
I remember Raskulls, one of those games I bought on xbla and played like 10 minutes of right away but newer got back into.

Still pretty chuffed about a rare POTG I got as Mercy in Overwatch yesterday.

So far Risen 3 seems like a huge step back from Risen 2. R2 embraced the pirate-y nature and sheer absurdity of itself, whereas Risen 3 is like "what if the Witcher sucked" so far. It has the eurojank, but none of the charm. Like, it feels like it's just going through the motions... I'd swear they were trying to mimic the Witcher 3 with a lot of their design decisions, but IIRC they were both in development around the same time, so... yeah.

I also really miss R2's protagonist. R3's is bland and burdened with a terrible script and VO. Has none of the previous protag's charisma.

Oh, and the combat. I know people complainted about R2's (I played it late when it was patched and liked didn't mind it) but R3's is leagues worse. It is Animation Lock: The Game.

I'm only like two hours in, so maybe it will improve.
...Maybe.

As far as I remember, the first island you're on is a tutorial and the second island (Antigua?) was reused from Risen 2. Once you're past those the actual game starts up where you have to choose between three islands to go to (depending on your choice of faction). These three islands are the meat of the game and each of them felt about as big and as good as the entire map of Risen 1. So if you haven't made your faction choice yet, keep going.

Also, Risen 3 was released almost a year before Witcher 3. There was nothing there to mimic. Not to mention Piranha Bytes have been doing the open world RPGs for a long time now.

The combat in PB games has always been a sticking point for folks but I've never really understood why it's disliked so much. It was actually broken in Gothic 3 where enemies could literally stun lock you to death, but otherwise it has always been a case of giving due respect to enemies. It's not DMC where you hack and slash your way through like it's nothing. If some enemy is too hard you walk away and come back later. Another trait of PB combat is that the power curve is never flat. You start out rather weak but you get stronger over time and by the end you are severely overpowered for the game world. This is done by design and not an accident. People don't like level scaling in RPGs but when this developer actually makes parts of the world dangerous to go to at lower levels they get shit for it being too hard.

In the end, one needs a certain kind of aptitude to play Piranha Bytes games. Risen 3 is not a game that I can recommend to someone who doesn't already know whether they like (or can tolerate) PB games. Every time they release a new game I wonder if this will be the one that can garner mainstream appeal but they never manage to reach that. Their games are generally getting better in terms of polish and production values but they just cannot seem to reach that glass ceiling where any of their titles break out.

What the heck is "eurojanky"?

It's a term used for European developed RPGs that lack a certain level of polish which you see in other, higher budget titles. It's usually small stuff like weird animations or camera glitches, localization mistakes, quest glitches and things like that. It's because these games are developed with (presumably) smaller budgets than some of the top tier AAA releases that we see. This 'Eurojank' is usually not a deal breaker but it does require a certain level of tolerance from the player to look past small problems and still be able to enjoy the game. Sometimes the trade off for Eurojank is that the games have more ambition. For example, you might get quests that have more depth, more ways to solve them or more outcomes that affect the game at large. The higher the complexity of a game, the more difficult it is to polish it all to a perfect shine. Some 'Western' RPGs (like Bioware's recent output in my opinion) trade off all ambition to get perfectly polished games. It's up to you to decide which approach you find better.

I've always used eurojank as a term of endearment. Ok, so it may not have great writing, or the graphics might not be up to scratch or the mechanics are pretty bad but there has clearly been a lot of effort put in to make the best possible product, they just lacked the budget.

Xater

I've always used eurojank as a term of endearment. Ok, so it may not have great writing, or the graphics might not be up to scratch or the mechanics are pretty bad but there has clearly been a lot of effort put in to make the best possible product they just lacked the budget.

That's not really how most people use it though. It's more how much jank can you tolerate to get a pretty fun or interesting experience. I grew up with lots of Eurojank games but there is only so much of it I can tolerate these days.

The Witcher 3 Blood and Wine continues to be full of amazing moments, it's also cool to see a certain character that was featured in a cinematic trailer appear in the actual game.
Not that rare since her ult can give her a ton of heat.
A Winston or Simmetra POTG, now that's rare.
Try Lucio, you could be a consistently healing for 30% of damage dealt to your team and still couldn't get it, and it's not like he is a multi-kill machine, pushing people off ledges isn't that easy to pull off.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Commander: Conquest of the Americas -- MB-654AC25B6B9C14DB - Taken by Sarcasm

This should give access to both normal and Gold edition.

Still hoping for a good mech game. Got MAV when it was free but it's a bit too Early Access though.
the only way you get POTG as Winston and Lucio is when you knock people off the stage

Nope. As inconsistent as they are, they do award if you actually clutch something at times. Getting a ridiculous Resurrection off as Mercy can get you play of the game and the same with a well placed sound barrier but, it is rare yes. As for Winston you can get a good chain going and get it as well.

The problem is, is that it awards fast kill streaks more than anything.

Good thing Play of the Games actually don't matter though and if you did good you will know yourself.

Not that rare since her ult can give her a ton of heat.
A Winston or Simmetra POTG, now that's rare.

Well it was rare for me :p

I dunno. You usually see damage dealers getting the POTG. I did get a nice one with Symmetra a few days ago but I didn't have the presence of mind to record it.

POTG demos need to persist past the session you played the game in.

Lain

17 hours and 14 minutes later, I'm 97% done with Ghost 1.0. I should be 1 boss away from the end, with only secondary weapon upgrades to buy, which means I'll be spending some time farming energy cubes to take everything to level 5.

I liked UnEpic until I reached the big eye boss and then I just hated it and stopped there.
Ghost 1.0 on the other hand is pretty tight from start to end, nice humor, a lot of references both in gameplay (with the geeks items) as well as narrative wise, good graphics/style and an OK soundtrack. I also liked the voices of the main cast, Ghost especially.

I've hit a couple weird bugs but nothing game breaking and the game keeps getting updates.
The Italian translation leaves enough to be desired that I switched to English. Weird phrasings, obvious errors and things translated out of context.
So far, best purchase of this past sale and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a short and sweet metroidvania like game (the game is shorter than the 17 hours I spent on it, since I take my time exploring/leveling/upgrading/grinding).

Good thing Play of the Games actually don't matter though and if you did good you will know yourself.
Blizzard chose the fire meter over a K/D leaderboard because killing opponents isn't the most important thing in the game, and PotG nearly always chosen with the most multi-kills sends a wrong message.

venomenon

Could somebody recommend me a basic RPG with a heavy focus on turn-based combat (turn-based tactics is fine too)?
I'm thinking of something like Epic Battle Fantasy, Lethal RPG or Knights of Pen and Paper, so no fancy story or elaborate character/equipment system is needed, just very basic stuff.

So far, best purchase of this past sale and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a short and sweet metroidvania like game
I've only played for like 4 hours but that's probably gonna be my conclusion as well. Very enjoyable game and quite a step forward from Unepic.

That's not really how most people use it though. It's more how much jank can you tolerate to get a pretty fun or interesting experience. I grew up with lots of Eurojank games but there is only so much of it I can tolerate these days.

I don't think that this mindset precludes itself from bob's.

I actually have both of your reactions when I hear Eurojank. It's a term of endearment that I think, "Am I fucking ready to deal with that or do I want to stick in my cozy little straightforward indie platformer that performs like a machine?"

Well it was rare for me :p

I dunno. You usually see damage dealers getting the POTG. I did get a nice one with Symmetra a few days ago but I didn't have the presence of mind to record it.

POTG demos need to persist past the session you played the game in.

If you go into highlights, you can see 5 of your recent solid games.

Mercy is still relatively rare for a POTG. Even if her rez can be weighted heavily, it's not nearly as heavy as environmental kills. Get a double of those and you're golden.

Honestly, one of the harder ones anymore is Zarya, because more often than not, when you pop that ult, you're giving someone else the POTG. I got a Winston one like that just by piggy-backing off of someone else's well-timed "gravitron cyka" ult.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Dead End Road - $2.99

I think some of you guys may really like this game. I played a previous version off itch.io (it was paid there too, don't think there was ever a free version), not sure what's been added/if anything was added for the Steam release. However, this game can be a good joy to kill some time with and come back and replay.

Basically, it's the rogue-like racing horror game you never knew you wanted! With a sort of 'pixely' 3D graphic style, you have summoned a curse upon yourself to make an item you wish for come true. They let you input something at the beginning, and have a ton of potential answers that will change your ending (you type in an answer until it recognizes one of the wishes you ask for, out of hundreds of potential items/things. The one I went for while playing was a sandwich). You then have to race death itself through a open-world map with many different routes (you have a map), while passing towns, gas stations, and the like you can take pitch-stops at (you need to collect three specified items to be able to lift the curse at the end), experience small events, repair and get car upgrades, go gambling, etc. and as I said at the opening of this paragraph, the game is a rouge-like game, when you car is totaled or you get caught by the curse that follows you when you go too slow on the road (towns are safe though), you have to start all over. The ultimate goal is to reach Dead End Road, which is on the opposite side of the map than you start off in, and there's many different roads and routes you can take to get there... But you must arrive with the three items and survive the way.

The game also does all sorts of interesting tricks while on the road I won't spoil, but let's say there's a lot more to watch out for than just your typical obstacles...

I recommend it!
ss_2aea98f2d2e6c0787b311d594dcd28a012f9a58a.600x338.jpg

ss_a2fc28e4b12052a12104d03e9d5350da8c8bdc0c.600x338.jpg
ss_94f27cd4afb83ab942306169759f36a88b7948b6.600x338.jpg
ss_fb7a1484bb5bfca1ff183fa20db979cedd69360d.600x338.jpg

Grief.exe

Honestly, one of the harder ones anymore is Zarya, because more often than not, when you pop that ult, you're giving someone else the POTG. I got a Winston one like that just by piggy-backing off of someone else's well-timed "gravitron cyka" ult.

I actually get frequent POTG as Zarya, just have to make sure you have a high energy level before going in, mopping up a couple kills afterwards helps.

I didn't play that many games last night and I had a few POTG as Zarya.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
One of the best friday indiegala bundles in awhile

has both The Bug Catcher and There Came and Echo...well to be fair those 2 are about the only good things in it, but still worth the #3.50 for them I think (or hope)

$1

Watson's Watch
Soul of The Devil
Milford Heaven

$3.49

The Bug Butcher
There Came An Echo
Stardust Vanguards
Battle Forever
Advertcity
Infection: Humanity's Last Grasp
Music Wars Empire

sanhora

Sergey's post on the Summer Sale.

Summary
Steam Summer Sale made 40% more money this year.
An average discount was 50% and less discounted titles seem to have brought more revenue.
The removal of flash and daily deals might be the reason for the increase in sales and the decrease in discounts.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Green Man Gaming ‏@GreenManGaming 45m45 minutes ago
Happy #VideoGamesDay! We've got something totally dope for you guys, coming at 5pm GMT!

thats in 1 hour 15mins btw. Probably going to be nothing, could be some flash deal type thing tho?

Tizoc

Green Man Gaming ‏@GreenManGaming 45m45 minutes ago
Happy #VideoGamesDay! We've got something totally dope for you guys, coming at 5pm GMT!

thats in 1 hour 15mins btw. Probably going to be nothing, could be some flash deal type thing tho?
Gimme a 30% discount code damnit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom