• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2016 - Post Sale Hauls, Post Sale Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xion385

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Xion385, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Mafia II Digital Deluxe Edition -- MB-4DBB72DD312981B5 - Taken by Hero Prinny. 23 entrants total.
Duke Nukem Forever -- MB-03F714977B39EEFD - Taken by redlacs. 8 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Sid Meier's Civilization V -- MB-BBE99724D09CC5E5 - Taken by hardcastlemccormick. 5 entrants total.

t1468976923z1.png

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (SirMossyBloke, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

t1cxE6r.gif
NBA 2K16 -- MB-70A1A70207406566 - Taken by derExperte

Forgot the timer. Ah well.

hesho

oh god... i really am tempted to pick up I am setsuna... but i swore to myself to never buy games in the first 6 months...

ackkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

derExperte

tumblr_me26p7nfta1r5fma6o1_500.gif

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sid Meier's Civilization IV - Complete -- MB-72C3F5E5C7C57D20 - Taken by fertygo. 5 entrants total.

t1468967968z1.png

Nordicus

Just beat Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls for the first time, and did some bounties and a rift.

*shrug*

Egh.

I feel the praise D3 gets these days is mainly for its current nearly infinite endgame grind where it seems that loot is the one and only motivator.

The actual main story mode where you start at level 1 and go through a predetermined route and improve your character along the way is so poor that only Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms gave me a worse hack&slash experience in recent years.

Skill/item synergies and even the barest form of specialization just don't exist until level 20ish. Having a semi-cohesive build is just not a thing before that, you may have some skills that work well individually, but when you play it, it feels like you're in control of "just another random X character" (in my case Monk)

The arbitrary order in which you gain skills, makes leveling up not feel very rewarding. Once in a blue moon you may get a new skill or rune that you genuinely like, but it feels like you're throwing darts blindly and hoping one hits the center every time. Not to mention, as most numbers are tied to your characters weapon damage, which is tied to your class' main stat, only +Main Stat and +Vitality really matter in gear for most of my leveling experience.

I'm glad Grim Dawn is a thing right now. It may not have the production values or the "end game", but I actually enjoy leveling my characters from the very beginning in that game rather than an arbitrary late game point. Which is also same for Diablo 2! People might these days bitch about the lack of respecs in that game, but I'll gladly start a new character from scratch to try a different build. Diablo 3? No chance in hell

deus ex mankind divided 60fps pc footage with keyboard and mouse. i think it's one of the earliest kb+m footage to surface. unfortunately it seems to have some visual bugs and glitches halfway through, i hope that gets ironed out at release. but in terms of performance it seems solid and fluid, but i have no idea what pc he's playing on.

AHA-Lambda

Just finished KR0 Act 4.

Ah how I remember that feeling of Lynch-esque 'I have no idea what it is I just experienced' =/

I'll be honest it's a game I just don't "get".
Then again it won't help that the last episode was 2 years ago either ofc

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
If I can only choose one, Earth Defense Force or Inside?

For long term playing and replay? Earth Defence Force. Shooting giant insects and looking for new weapons offers many hours of fun.

For an experience only done well in a few games (one of which was the developer's last game) and will stick with you a long time for the experience, go with Inside. Though, this will go cheaper quicker than EDF.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls for the first time, and did some bounties and a rift.

*shrug*

Egh.

I feel the praise D3 gets these days is mainly for its current nearly infinite endgame grind where it seems that loot is the one and only motivator.

The actual main story mode where you start at level 1 and go through a predetermined route and improve your character along the way is so poor that only Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms gave me a worse hack&slash experience in recent years.

Skill/item synergies and even the barest form of specialization just don't exist until level 20ish. Having a semi-cohesive build is just not a thing before that, you may have some skills that work well individually, but when you play it, it feels like you're in control of "just another random X character" (in my case Monk)

The arbitrary order in which you gain skills, makes leveling up not feel very rewarding. Once in a blue moon you may get a new skill or rune that you genuinely like, but it feels like you're throwing darts blindly and hoping one hits the center every time. Not to mention, as most numbers are tied to your characters weapon damage, which is tied to your class' main stat, only +Main Stat and +Vitality really matter in gear for most of my leveling experience.

I'm glad Grim Dawn is a thing right now. It may not have the production values or the "end game", but I actually enjoy leveling my characters from the very beginning in that game rather than an arbitrary late game point. Which is also same for Diablo 2! People might these days bitch about the lack of respecs in that game, but I'll gladly start a new character from scratch to try a different build. Diablo 3? No chance in hell

That's the thing, doing a character from scratch isn't why anyone plays Diablo. You can level a character to max in about 10 seconds with a very little amount of help. So you are right, the story stuff and the first time though the game isn't very exciting. The real game begins at 70 where you gain paragon levels and item sets. But IMO the real thing keeping the game going is the Seasons.

Each season they reset the servers and everyone is required to start new seasonal characters. Your seasonal characters will roll over to your normal account at the season end and you keep all the gear they had. So you don't really lose anything, but often new items and changed items will drop in the season only first.

The infinite endgame where items are a large part (but by no means the only) means of progression is fun and actually rewarding. There is a paragon leveling system, where you can continue to gain points toward your statistics as you kill stuff even at the level cap. Paragon levels are infinite as far as anyone has been able to tell and they apply across your account so your next level rerolled character will retain the buffed stats. You can reset all the Paragon stats whenever you want so you can shift your stats and things like extra crit around as needed.

Its a pretty fun system. Each season has a journey that has a list of objectives to complete which reward you with cosmetic stuff and sometimes selected pieces of set gear. Eventually you get an entire set for the first class you complete those objectives on each season, alleviating the grind somewhat. It also lets you get into the optimizing part of the game where gems, Paragon levels, skills & runes all become very optimizable for insane bonuses (like 5000% to X or Y skill and so forth). The end game gets quite a bit better.

The bad part is that at the end end game, all you are doing is grinding for better versions of the same items with higher vaules. Once you have done the optimization, all that remains is getting the items and making the numbers go up as much as possible. It is pretty fun for a while, but gets old quickly.

Sarcasm

Honestly, still better playing Titan Quest. The D3 with friends.

Even Grim Dawn got boring fast.

It really is the same in that type of genre. End game is where it is at. When I played GD, the leveling just felt tedious.

dex3108

First GTX1060 prices are in. Card costs 340€ here at my place (GTX970 price is 280-300€). It is not good but it is not bad either. I expect that price will go down by the end of the year.

Also this is MSI model that is more expensive I think.

Mivey

I'll be honest it's a game I just don't "get".
Then again it won't help that the last episode was 2 years ago either ofc
That's the reason I don't play games episodically. If the last episode isn't out, it just doesn't exist, as far as I am concerned. I have nothing againt the developement model, can work, can be a mess, like anything. But I refuse to engage with anything in such a piece-meal fashion.

zkylon

zkylewd
you know, there's no need to remind me about every new spider species or whatever. by all means talk about spiders all you want (tho i'll appreciate if you don't post pictures of them) but i don't really need to know about this stuff

i appreciate the thought, but i live my life fine without being aware of their existence

Lp 1 and 2 play diffently to 3 fyi
are they interesting tho?

2 is awful even in co-op which is how it was designed to be played. I can't imagine how bad it would be playing alone.
ahh that's a shame

thoughts on lost planet 1?

I had a lot of fun with it early on but it became to samey and grindy for me overall.

Although keep in mind that the amount of grinding you do depends on how bad you are and I wasn't very good.

The basebuilding isn't anything like in xcom, it's just buildings you can upgrade.

I'd recommend it still, you don't need to finish it on order to enjoy it for 20 or so hours.
hmm that's interesting

i might go for it, idk

it's only on nuuvem, sorry

Lomax

Apparently, there is a fix for wired xboxOne controllers, which are sometimes not recognized by some Unity games including Setsuna:

I don't have that option, all I have are

Xbox Controller (which is installed)
Xbox Controller DFU
Xbox Elite Controller
Xbox Gaming Device

Though I haven't noticed any issues using mine, but I've had it wired from the beginning. But I may have just not played any Unity games with it.

kagamin

Most people tend to greatly enjoy Lost Planet 2 above the other games in my experience, though I've only played a little bit of the first game and I liked what I played well enough.

ArjanN

That's the thing, doing a character from scratch isn't why anyone plays Diablo.

I think for a lot of people that actually is what they played it for., at least the people who weren't hardcore Diablo fans already.

But you're right in that's not really what they designed the game around, so if that's what you're looking for Diablo 3 kind of sucks.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rockin' Ranger:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Spec Ops: The Line -- MB-CE07EF9D8F6422A1 - Taken by sixteen-bit. 2 entrants total.
Duke Nukem Forever -- MB-F0625E694EF908E0 - Taken by redlacs. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Civilization V -- MB-42664E8E588AF2C3 - Taken by fertygo. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Mafia II -- MB-AB25287BE1F3995C - Taken by illusionary. 4 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
The Darkness II -- MB-9B4F4C3BDBFEE100 - Taken by Zeeman. 2 entrants total.

t1468975397z1.png

Humble stuff that isn't basketball.

Aww, my stock cooler backplate and CPU retention mechanism are one and the same. It's all one thing that the 212 standoff screws won't thread into.

fertygo

Diablo 3 have far more enjoyable combat, yeah the stat building kind of sux.. but tbh its not matter that much anymore for me at this kind of game

you get various build that you can reset for other skill to more gg is good enough

Remember when GMG would give 30 percent off or 27 percent off birthday coupons? Good times.

Anyway, doom and gloom aside let's talk about Doom. I thought Wolfenstein was amazing but wow, the shooting in Doom is amazing. The weapons feel good, the fights are hectic, the performance is amazing, etc. The only problem I have with the game is that the multiplayer just isn't good.

Very quickly on my way to perfecting it.

illusionary

Folks on Reddit have indicated that the Humble key redeems the Mafia II Director's Cut.
Good, it's not just me. Guys at Humble seem sure they were given Deluxe Edition keys. I'm betting 2K sent over the wrong keys.
Yep, Director's Cut for me too (thanks, Rockin' Ranger, for the very generous giveaway!).

Anyway, doom and gloom aside let's talk about Doom. I thought Wolfenstein was amazing but wow, the shooting in Doom is amazing. The weapons feel good, the fights are hectic, the performance is amazing, etc. The only problem I have with the game is that the multiplayer just isn't good.

Very quickly on my way to perfecting it.

Have you tried Ultra-Nightmare yet?

ooh neat. was not expecting to win that mafia 2 giveaway. I was gonna fork over the $15 for both battleborn and mafia but now... I think I'll just wait for the battleborn f2p version.

zkylon

zkylewd
The combat and encounters become a bit of a slog towards the end and the final boss is stupid, but the first couple levels are a really cool experience.
i remember loving the demo, the environment that game was set in and the grappling hook were really impressive back when

Most people tend to greatly enjoy Lost Planet 2 above the other games in my experience, though I've only played a little bit of the first game and I liked what I played well enough.
confusing!

drotahorror

Are you using v7.3 with Firefox? If so, that's a known bug with the old version after Valve changed the price layout.

If not, I'm not able to reproduce that on v8.7.2 in either Chrome or Firefox.

Thanks! that fixed it. I normally don't mess with betas. The default download now button pushed me towards 7.3.

I also live in poor part of EU everybody keeps pretending doesn't exist and charge as more than the rest of the world, My doom and gloom talk is not severe enough if anything, given recent history.

If it makes you feel any better, GMG completely disabled all coupons for my poor country and they went absolutely crazy with regional pricing.

As in, Final Fantasy IX on GMG costs about $290 USD after price conversion. That's two hundred and ninety US dollars. I know they region locked Taiwan from ever purchasing anything from them, so I don't know why they don't just do that for my country as well. It's clear as day they don't want any customers from here anymore.

God Eater 2: Rage Burst up for pre-order (info thanks to lashman on Twitter)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/438490

$49.99 and includes God Eater: Resurrection and Tokyo Ghoul, Sword Art Online, Tales of Zestiria, and Assassination Classroom costumes for God Eater 2 (costumes are pre-order DLC)

Available: Summer 2016

Now this is interesting. It's the first time in a while that a Namco game has had Valve recommended regional pricing. I went ahead and bought it because I have a feeling it could be a mistake which they'll get around to fixing soon. If not, I'll probably refund it because I'm really not that interested in the game. Plus it looks like a direct port of a handheld game that really has no business being on PC/consoles (much like the Toukiden game).

Diablo 3 have far more enjoyable combat, yeah the stat building kind of sux.. but tbh its not matter that much anymore for me at this kind of game

you get various build that you can reset for other skill to more gg is good enough

Yep. Diablo 3 has the best combat feedback in the genre and it's leagues better than any of the other contenders. That is the single most important component in a game where you spend 95% of your time in combat. Other games offer greater build diversity, which is great, but that part of the game is basically staring at menus. When you get out into the world and start fighting, nothing holds a candle to D3.

I use it all the time. It's pretty much the go to site for new releases.

I don't think we have anything to worry about though. The fact that you can still get Deus Ex: Mankind Divided at 20% off is a good sign.

It's not a good sign. Before you could get everything at 20%off or even 25. Now you can't. Deals are worse and even worse, it only applies to specific titles.

PaulSane

So, seeing that i miss ~75% of the giveaways by the virtue of living in one of the least populated time-zones, i've decided to do a long giveaway this time, i don't want people to suffer as i do :p

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Spec Ops: The Line -- MB-AE7E8B71DFF2E2F3 - Taken by Jalal. 13 entrants total.
Duke Nukem Forever -- MB-8060136F450B2B71 - Taken by Ventara. 12 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
The Darkness II -- MB-6147C3D342DEBD0E - Taken by ExoSoul. 6 entrants total.

t1469067192z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom