• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

denx

oh shoot, remember that thing about me not being a masochist or having mad skillz? Welp, so much for that as the next game I'm planning on playing is Dark Souls. lol

derExperte

I don't have a problem playing games at 30fps if I have to and I played Killer Is Dead like this for a few hourse because I was too lazy and afraid it would mess something up to fiddle around with the config files. Then I did. I'm sure that if it was a bet and I offered 100€ to everyone who can tell the difference 100% could easily do it.

The difference is comparable to how fast this thread seems to move when you're constantly refreshing and when you go away to watch football for a few hours.

MRORANGE

Before I forget and this thread closes I've extended the deadline for "Steam Game Recommendations for July" by a few days for July submission on games you are excited for in July, granted it's a dry season and the sale will be more on people's minds at the moment but submissions would be greatly appreciated when everyone comes back after the sales end:

cK5LaD7.png
Steam Game Recommendations for July (New releases on Steam)

• Every month gaffers talk about what games should be on your radar for the upcoming month by submitting mini recommendations.
  • Check the OP to see games were highlighted by our members for this month to get an idea.

Rules:
  • 1. Choose a game that you think is worth watching out for in July that is on Steam.
  • 2. Write about it, 60+ words would be great, feel free to go over it.
  • 3. Send me a PM with what you have written before the deadline: 2nd July

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-C05BCFC0D32E3787 - Taken by Bacardi151. 1 entrants total.
Spirits -- MB-E68B596EF8E9D51B
Draw a Stickman -- MB-4B6738E0359DBAAE - Taken by KainXVIII. 1 entrants total.
The Great Jitters: Pudding Panic -- MB-AD2E28B48131118E
Symphony -- MB-47AF73700BA2A846
Sid Meiers Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies -- MB-27AEA48D4C77DAA8
Sid Meiers Ace Patrol -- MB-6ED786453EE698FD
Galaxy on Fire 2 -- MB-4573E844B2CFC720 - Taken by valouris
Galcon Legends -- MB-954550DFC42A4773
Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-C2583C379B6729E7 - Taken by nbnt
Galcon Fusion -- MB-39FDFE1FC6559DCE
SEGA Bundle (Alpha Protocol, Company of Heroes, Rome Total War, Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit) -- MB-3ECB22EA79F26C4D
Sid Meier's Pirates! -- MB-133FFADAA6239A22 - Taken by Blue Ninja
Sid Meier's Railroads! -- MB-C64B35FD435738F6 - Taken by X05
Crazy Machines 2 -- MB-67D582AC61B57FC0

t1402928072z1.png

Raffle

Ruruja

It does piss me off how we have to BEG and PLEAD for games to be released on PC. Publisher/Developers saying "we will consider it if you make a petition", or teasing us for months with "yeah we might" or "it's something we are looking in to". It's a next-gen platform and you probably developed the game on a PC, stop being a cunt.

Parsnip

30vs60 is an interesting thing. As long as I can get a solid 60, I prefer it obviously, but if I can't, I lock to 30 because in most games varying framerates are just awful. But I'm much more sensitive to screen tearing for example. I can't stand any tearing at all.

But for example my brother apparently doesn't notice framerates all that much. He was playing some shooter this one time and it was constantly dipping below 30 and when I asked him about it, he hadn't even noticed.

denx

When I see 30 and 60 fps stuff side by side, the difference is clear as day for me, but when I'm actually playing a game I couldn't honestly tell you at what framerate I'm playing. That said, I can definitely tell dips below 30 fps. I played a bit of The Last of Us on PS3 and it felt awful. I read somewhere (probably DF, can't remember) that the game frequently dips to 25 fps, ugh.

30vs60 is an interesting thing. As long as I can get a solid 60, I prefer it obviously, but if I can't, I lock to 30 because in most games varying framerates are just awful. But I'm much more sensitive to screen tearing for example. I can't stand any tearing at all.

But for example my brother apparently doesn't notice framerates all that much. He was playing some shooter this one time and it was constantly dipping below 30 and when I asked him about it, he hadn't even noticed.
You brother probably did notice it, but didn't know it was a framerate dip(he was used to it). Get him to play on a better rig for a while and go back, he would definitely notice.

sega4ever

Maybe people really aren't making that much money off PC ports :( Maybe I should just give up and go back to just being a console only gamer.

hmm?

it seems to be working out well for ghostlight as they already ported Agarest: Generations of War and its prequel Agarest: Generations of War Zero. They are also bringing Agarest: Generations of War 2 and Elminage Gothic.

Dr Dogg

It does piss me off how we have to BEG and PLEAD for games to be released on PC. Publisher/Developers saying "we will consider it if you make a petition", or teasing us for months with "yeah we might" or "it's something we are looking in to". It's a next-gen platform and you probably developed the game on a PC, stop being a cunt.

You know what makes me sad? The ungrateful attitude some people have towards a PC or console port not being to their liking. Some will declare the developers lazy, some will tell publishers what they should be doing, while other instead of trying to engage in any direct communication with the developers or publisher will just get angry about it and whip themselves and/or others into a frenzy. I'm amazed that any developer or publisher would want to interact with people who take that attitude to be honest.

End of the day as customers we don't own them any money but neither do publisher owe us a version of a game that might end up costing more to make than they might make back.

Of course this isn't directed at yourself or specifically at anybody else but something I've been seeing time and time again on this forum and others and frankly something I find very embarrassing.

Ruruja

You know what makes me sad? The ungrateful attitude some people have towards a PC or console port not being to their liking. Some will declare the developers lazy, some will tell publishers what they should be doing, while other instead of trying to engage in any direct communication with the developers or publisher will just get angry about it and whip themselves and/or others into a frenzy. I'm amazed that any developer or publisher would want to interact with people who take that attitude to be honest.

End of the day as customers we don't own them any money but neither do publisher owe us a version of a game that might end up costing more to make than they might make back.

Of course this isn't directed at yourself or specifically at anybody else but something I've been seeing time and time again on this forum and others and frankly something I find very embarrassing.

I agree with you, but maybe customers wouldn't be as angry with the disappointing port, if they didn't have to beg for it in the first place.

MGR:R's maximum resolution being 1080p is pretty lazy in my book, it's not a bad port, but when it comes to resolution the devs just couldn't be arsed to add resolutions higher than 1920x1080.

Seeing a quick review of Wolfenstein with some gameplay has made me want it more than I had before. Do we think there's any chance there's some sort of discount on it during the summer sale?

Dr Dogg

I agree with you, but maybe customers wouldn't be as angry with the disappointing port, if they didn't have to beg for it in the first place.

Oh don't get me wrong having to ask for a game and being teased along isn't exactly a happy experience and the usually closed nature of development were you don't really know what you're getting until it's released (and despite most people professing to know about game development very few of us do, I don't have a fucking clue half the things that go into making a game neither do I claim to) but some of the reactions drive me up the wall.

The Metal Gear Rising thread was one instance. Some of the positions and opinions in that thread were really over the top. It wasn't until JP came in that order really was restored and some people reverted back to a more civilised tone. Granted not being able to accept arbitrary resolutions is a kick in the teeth but for the vast majority of people who would have played it would have been at 1920x1080 anyway. If I didn't like something or it didn't meet my standards then it's not to be sadly and I'll take my business elsewhere. I'm not going to throw around a barrage of expletives or make demands of a company especially if I didn't know how much work was involved to get the title to the state it's in now and how much more it would take to get it the state I'd want.

Maybe that's just me and it's not my place to dictate how others should feel or act but I can't help but think these sorts of reactions don't help anybody out in the long run.

MGR:R's maximum resolution being 1080p is pretty lazy in my book, it's not a bad port, but when it comes to resolution the devs just couldn't be arsed to add resolutions higher than 1920x1080.

Did you see what Durante and Dario posted in that thread? MGR does something really funky regards to how it queries resolutions and apparently has an odd renderer. That and all the UI elements ended up being set to specific co-ordinates so changing aspect ratios and higher resolutions would break those as well. I have no idea how much work that would take so I'm in no position to call anyone out on their work ethic either. Sadly that's the nature of the beast with some forms of development where they are targeting fixed resolutions and framerates which in this day and age is bonkers and has no flexibility or forward thinking especially the amount of 'HD' ports we're getting as of late.

I really do feel for devs sometimes, especially when browsing the pits that are the Steam discussion boards. Dunno how they can read some of the stuff I see and just take it in stride, people there are animals.

On the otherhand I do get really annoyed when larger pubs essentially withhold PC releases. To get people to double dip I guess? Whatever the case, it's a bother.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Seeing a quick review of Wolfenstein with some gameplay has made me want it more than I had before. Do we think there's any chance there's some sort of discount on it during the summer sale?

It's Bethesda we're talking about so I wouldn't put my money on it. The game's easily worth full price though

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

I doubt it will go for anything below 25%, and that's being optimistic.

You can get it for $44.99 at GMG with the voucher FUTEBO-LFESTI-VIDADE right now, though.

Ruruja

I really do feel for devs sometimes, especially when browsing the pits that are the Steam discussion boards. Dunno how they can read some of the stuff I see and just take it in stride, people there are animals.

On the otherhand I do get really annoyed when larger pubs essentially withhold PC releases. To get people to double dip I guess? Whatever the case, it's a bother.

Haha, that can be a rage-inducing experience reading through those.

Do you reckon the opposite is true? Should be PC gamers be grateful to developers for porting a game to PC regardless of how bad it is?

What. That's the Asylum one, right?
That was a fucking ridiculous joke, especially compared to the masterpiece that was the Cradle, which everyone compared it to.
It was constantly going for cheap jump scares and more stupid fucking cutscenes.

I'm not comparing it to The Cradle, it's just the first level in the game that's been kind of interesting and had atmosphere. Every level before just feels like Shitty Dishonored.

Been out of town all weekend, just wanted to jump in and wish a Happy Fathers day to all the dads out there on SteamGaf.

I'll join your ranks next year

Dr Dogg

That place is like Mos Eisley. Though to be fair some of the EA devs who have been caught with less that stellar products have been just as bad.

The whole Dark Souls II release date shift and the worst kept secret in GTA V for PC as well as the old way Ubi used to keep their PC releases back are not good for anyone but the publisher and who knows if that hasn't backfired on them before.

Do you reckon the opposite is true? Should be PC gamers be grateful to developers for porting a game to PC regardless of how bad it is?

No of course not, there's nothing wrong with having realistic expectations like a PC port offering arbitrary resolutions and framerates. Though if there is a case where this isn't to be maybe finding out why first might be a better course of action than to jump to conclusions. Some times it can be an oversite, others it can be a small budget but to a publisher expecting a low ROI, sometimes it could be because a PC port was never on the cards and corners were cut in the previous platforms development that might take a lot of work to fix. I can appreciate that even if something isn't to my standards that work has been done and there isn't this mythical 'Press to Port' button some people think exists.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The thing about ports that I hate the most is when publishers and devs will constantly say "we'll think about it" or "we're looking into it" when asked about the possibility of ports arriving on a system. I just wish they wouldn't beat around the bush and give a more definite answer one way or the other. I understand why they don't, but it's a practice I dislike no matter what platform it happens to.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist

1) PC drives the technology that moves things forward and gives them a job to even be able to make nice things. If it weren't for us giving the hardware the gaming industry is built on a market, it would move at a snail's pace. We'd all be playing Wii.
2) PC gaming has been about scalability for at least 20 years. Only recently have developers decided they want to release games on PC while limiting resolutions and framerates and whatnot. Along with this new trend has been a lot of extremely arrogant narratives and lies about it being what is best or not possible to offer more.
3) It is laziness. When basic features are in games made by extremely small indie teams who make a game in their spare time, or added to games post-release by a modder in a few weeks, it is proven laziness. There is no large financial investment involved for supporting resolutions, scalable UI, unlocked framerate, etc. These things are inherently built into development, and used all through development, which they do on PCs, and are only limited as the developers choose what to put in player control.
4) With the removal of excuses, which are never justified, lacking support of basic features for PC are simply insulting. We ask for ports because we believe the market is there to justify them. If the publisher disagrees, that is their decision and they can decide that for themselves. However, if they say "okay, we're making one for you guys" and then try to act like they know better than us the 30 years of PC gaming tradition and what is possible, and they are factually wrong, it is a smack in the face. It's like seeing someone who is hungry and saying "I'll make you a sandwich" and then going into your fridge and grabbing an already made week-old moldy sandwich, handing it to them, and then telling them that's just how good sandwiches can get.

It depends...

Some people get offended just by 30fps and while I have to agree, thats a shitty port then, if it only offers 30fps, I am still happy that I can play Dead Rising 3 in August.

It depends...

Some people get offended just by 30fps and while I have to agree, thats a shitty port then, if it only offers 30fps, I am still happy that I can play Dead Rising 3 in August.
I thought Capcom said you could unlock the framerate yourself, but there would probably be some issues.

Turfster

I'm not comparing it to The Cradle, it's just the first level in the game that's been kind of interesting and had atmosphere. Every level before just feels like Shitty Dishonored.

I didn't say you'd compared it to the Cradle, I said lots of people and places had in the run-up, making the disappointment only larger when I finally got to it ;)

I doubt it will go for anything below 25%, and that's being optimistic.

You can get it for $44.99 at GMG with the voucher FUTEBO-LFESTI-VIDADE right now, though.

But I can't use GMG credit with that, right?
I can wait for a lower price, I have enough things preordered already and have enough games to finish... I'll just take a wait and see approach with the seal next week.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Didn't think I'd win it, so seeing a PM pop up felt kinda weird.
I... I guess I'll be walking into Mordor in October.
Thanks a lot Sub Zero!

Congratulations :) I hope that you'll play it and enjoy it when it's out in October. My summer sale savings took quite a hit for me to be able to give this away :p

Dr Dogg

1) PC drives the technology that moves things forward and gives them a job to even be able to make nice things. If it weren't for us giving the hardware the gaming industry is built on a market, it would move at a snail's pace. We'd all be playing Wii.
2) PC gaming has been about scalability for at least 20 years. Only recently have developers decided they want to release games on PC while limiting resolutions and framerates and whatnot. Along with this new trend has been a lot of extremely arrogant narratives and lies about it being what is best or not possible to offer more.
3) It is laziness. When basic features are in games made by extremely small indie teams who make a game in their spare time, or added to games post-release by a modder in a few weeks, it is proven laziness. There is no large financial investment involved for supporting resolutions, scalable UI, unlocked framerate, etc. These things are inherently built into development, and used all through development, which they do on PCs, and are only limited as the developers choose what to put in player control.
4) With the removal of excuses, which are never justified, lacking support of basic features for PC are simply insulting. We ask for ports because we believe the market is there to justify them. If the publisher disagrees, that is their decision and they can decide that for themselves. However, if they say "okay, we're making one for you guys" and then try to act like they know better than us the 30 years of PC gaming tradition and what is possible, and they are factually wrong, it is a smack in the face. It's like seeing someone who is hungry and saying "I'll make you a sandwich" and then going into your fridge and grabbing an already made week-old moldy sandwich, handing it to them, and then telling them that's just how good sandwiches can get.

Well only up until recently pretty much every single console ever made was using bespoke components and still uses APIs specific to them, you develop a game specifically for a console then you might also end up coding that to set hardware and such. What was going on in the PC space had little effect to what was going on here as the huge sums platform holders were paying out on R&D. If PC was driving technology why did they spend all that money on research then?

It's only been recently that console games have moved away from timing there whole game logic based on refresh rate where this hasn't been the case in the PC space in decades. If you got a busy scene on most PS2 titles the whole game would slow down where as on a PC title you'd just be skipping frames. You still see this occasionally in engines today where game logic and physics are tied to a specific update.

I have encountered so many indie titles that don't offer higher framerates above 60hz with out increasing the game speed. Some even slow down if you can't keep a constant update Are they lazy now for not having flexibility there?

I can agree with you about not supporting features for a platform you know that your audience is going to be at least expecting. Publisher do need to be more open about this from the get go and to an extent they are as these issues are getting highlighted before games are released now. But you're not beholden to them, you don't have to buy it if it's not to the standards you expect. A non or lost sale is going to hurt them more than a handful of insults.

Lain

Congratulations :) I hope that you'll play it and enjoy it when it's out in October. My summer sale savings took quite a hit for me to be able to give this away :p

I'll be sure to play it when it's out!
The initial reveal already had me interested and the gameplay videos from E3 I got to watch only served in raising said interest more.

r3n4ud

I'll be sure to play it when it's out!
The initial reveal already had me interested and the gameplay videos from E3 I got to watch only served in raising said interest more.

Ah, nice one Lain! Have yourself a good-looking game that you won. Thanks again Sub for the generous giveaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom