• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't think I'd win it, so seeing a PM pop up felt kinda weird.
I... I guess I'll be walking into Mordor in October.
Thanks a lot Sub Zero!

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

Right, since it's a 25% voucher. Worst part about Playfire money :/

Even though it's all free credit, so to speak, I still just can't dump it unless somethings on sale. -_-;

Four days.

My body still isn't ready.

It may never b e...

No of course not, there's nothing wrong with having realistic expectations like a PC port offering arbitrary resolutions and framerates. Though if there is a case where this isn't to be maybe finding out why first might be a better course of action than to jump to conclusions. Some times it can be an oversite, others it can be a small budget but to a publisher expecting a low ROI, sometimes it could be because a PC port was never on the cards and corners were cut in the previous platforms development that might take a lot of work to fix. I can appreciate that even if something isn't to my standards that work has been done and there isn't this mythical 'Press to Port' button some people think exists.

In that case, I would say your use of the word ungrateful is ill advised. They're not doing us a favor by porting a game that we should be grateful for. There's nothing wrong in expecting features/options that are standard to the platform. And I don't believe lack of funds or knowledge or any of the excuses you mentioned make it okay for developers to do substandard work. If it's worth doing, then it's worth doing right. And while porting to PC might be more than just pressing a button, it's not like it's an uncharted frontier that no one has ever attempted before. Studios get it right all the time. Those who don't will get called out for it.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I can agree with you about not supporting features for a platform you know that your audience is going to be at least expecting. Publisher do need to be more open about this from the get go and to an extent they are as these issues are getting highlighted before games are released now. But you're not beholden to them, you don't have to buy it if it's not to the standards you expect. A non or lost sale is going to hurt them more than a handful of insults.
We live in a DD world where returns often aren't possible. Yeah, someone should do research first, but who would ever really expect something like this? And yet, surprisingly, that kind of shit is only becoming more common, that older games are more likely to properly support PC abilities. It doesn't surprise me that some people, with the only given alternative being all the limitations of consoles where they have zero outs and just have to suck up and eat what they are given, are getting very serious in their words about it.

It is also important to note that on some level it is grandstanding with half-noble purposes. If people are pissed and making a stink about it, that communicates to others that there is a problem, and that affects the brand power that leads people into these shitty ports that are almost bait-n-switch deals, or in some cases truly so where the developer lies about what they will fix/include. There have been times where I looked for faults in a port and saw no complaints after a considerable amount of looking, but then because I checked one more time before buying, I saw someone bitching about something that is fucked up. I'm glad for those people who don't just quietly bear with frustrations and a product that they consider to be worth less than what they paid for.

Could it be done in a more ideal fashion? I suppose yes, if everyone knew of and participated in PCGamingWiki to tell us how any game is fucked up and potential means of fixing it for the developer, or getting past intentional blockades implemented by developers, that could be a great and civil means of handling issues, but it is rather unrealistic. There are still people out there who buy stuff on Amazon and are pulled into learning what Steam is, so I'm fine with people just coming from where they are coming and expressing their malcontent however they wish. Companies need to be able to see what the effects of their decisions are. However "reasonable" or not they are, if people experience strong negative feelings, and your product is about creating a good time, you've gone and fucked up and you should be realistic about that.

Lain

I don't have much money left over this month, but after winning such a big game, I wanted to give back something kinda interesting, or at least somewhat interesting for the people of this thread.
Hopefully I picked the right game, as I remember reading you guys love dinosaurs and survival games:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- MEGA GIVERS ONLY! You must have given away at least 25 games through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Stomping Land -- MB-AF136A07D525BAD7 - Taken by Aitor. 28 entrants total.

t1402967627z1.png

Volimar

I don't have much money left over this month, but after winning such a big game, I wanted to give back something kinda interesting, or at least somewhat interesting for the people of this thread.
Hopefully I picked the right game, as I remember reading you guys love dinosaurs and survival games:

Amazing giveaway! I'm not a megagiver, but still awesome.

Always nice to see all of the generosity in this thread. It's pretty refreshing after all of the cynicism and bitterness in the rest of gaming side.

Good luck to whomever wins!

Santiako

Always nice to see all of the generosity in this thread. It's pretty refreshing after all of the cynicism and bitterness in the rest of gaming side.

Good luck to whomever wins!

Steam gaf is like a warm place of generosity, scorsese roman pics and unreadable Authority posts.

Parsnip

Yeah. I just think that Capcom should let western devs port Games.

There was something similar with Naruto IIRC. Seems japanese just dont know how to properly port Games to a PC...
I might be missing something by jumping into this conversation at this juncture, but are we talking about Dead Rising 3 specifically? I don't imagine Capcom Japan had a lot to do with that game since Capcom Vancouver (Blue Castle Games) developed it.

Unless for some reason it's being ported to PC at a Japanese Capcom studio, which doesn't sound sensible at all.

Zohn

Neo Member
The parts for my first proper gaming rig in almost a decade are in the mail right now, so this will be my first ever Steam sale, AND I have an absolutely massive backlog of games because I've pretty much sat an entire gen out.

This will bankrupt me, won't it?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Holy shit, I keep seeing 30, 60, 30 vs 60 FPS, etc posts/threads everywhere on NeoGAF. Probably time to upgrade my monitor to 120-144hz.
Yes you should. You'll be happy to see all those skills from your younger years on CRT never actually left, they were just being shat on by poor display technology. You'll also feel great joy in the delicious sexy smooth snappy response and clarity and fluidity of visuals.

...then you'll run into a game that framelocks at a low setting and cry bitter tears, that is if the strobing doesn't send you into a seizure.

Steam I July - Official PC Port Begging Thread
There is a big difference between going into a thread dedicated to a game that is on consoles and shitting it up with port begging, and discussing the general desire for more quality PC ports in a thread dedicated to PC gaming.

Corpekata

Banned
Port begging thread title would be amusing in a month where something of note is actually being released somewhere. July is looking pretty dire.

Corpekata

Banned
Divinity Original Sin is almost July, and can keep you busy the whole month.

Well yeah I already own it. I meant if we're gonna have a "port begging" thread title it might as well be when some title on the other platforms is being released. Like when Grim Fandango relaunches given they are being pretty quiet about non-Sony versions so far.

maneil99

Yes you should. You'll be happy to see all those skills from your younger years on CRT never actually left, they were just being shat on by poor display technology. You'll also feel great joy in the delicious sexy smooth snappy response and clarity and fluidity of visuals.

...then you'll run into a game that framelocks at a low setting and cry bitter tears, that is if the strobing doesn't send you into a seizure.

There is a big difference between going into a thread dedicated to a game that is on consoles and shitting it up with port begging, and discussing the general desire for more quality PC ports in a thread dedicated to PC gaming.

It's a joke :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
was going to enter for stomping land, then I saw it was a multiplayer joint and didnt

now im sad :(

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
On one hand I am super glad to see 60FPS starting to become a front-and-center issue instead of just pushed aside.

On the other hand it makes me really worried that so many people claim they can't see or feel a difference. I gamed almost exclusively on consoles between 1997-2005 and never had a very powerful rig before or after that and I could still tell you the difference in a heartbeat.

Grief.exe

On one hand I am super glad to see 60FPS starting to become a front-and-center issue instead of just pushed aside.

On the other hand it makes me really worried that so many people claim they can't see or feel a difference. I gamed almost exclusively on consoles between 1997-2005 and never had a very powerful rig before or after that and I could still tell you the difference in a heartbeat.

Everyone is built differently and there are too many factors at play (viewing distance, game type, peripherals, etc) so I can see how some might have problems.

I have never really been able to tell the difference using these gif comparisons, but I play around with forcing v-sync at 60 and 30Hz and it makes a substantial difference in how the game plays. When you are actually controlling the character, you can feel a substantial difference between the two.
GTA San Andreas' in-game v-sync is set to a little under 30 FPS. I turn that off and force 60Hz through Nvidia Inspector and it's like a completely different game entirely.

Authority

Banned
Everyone is built differently and there are too many factors at play (viewing distance, game type, peripherals, etc) so I can see how some might have problems.

I have never really been able to tell the difference using these gif comparisons, but I play around with forcing v-sync at 60 and 30Hz and it makes a substantial difference in how the game plays. When you are actually controlling the character, you can feel a substantial difference between the two.
GTA San Andreas' in-game v-sync is set to a little under 30 FPS. I turn that off and force 60Hz through Nvidia Inspector and it's like a completely different game entirely.

Does AMD have got a similar Inspector?

denx

This needs a remake
1130559-psd3d008.jpg

KuGsj.gif

KILL THIS THING WITH FIRE

nice avatar btw. Splatoon def looks like one of the most original and fun games to come out from this E3.

So, this sure has been asked a million times already, but as someone who is about to start Dark Souls, anything I should know going in? Any tips?
to not break my controller against a wall in a fit of rage

That is right. In this thread you also have to complain that an eventual PC port is region locked and you can't buy it for $3.

So, this sure has been asked a million times already, but as someone who is about to start Dark Souls, anything I should know going in? Any tips?

Prepare to d
ownload the game again and start over when the Steamworks patch finally rolls around and wipes your save.

Edit: I suppose real advice would also be handy.

Look up as little as you can, a big part of the game is exploration and discovery. The one tip I will give is to find a weapon that you can use competently/have fun using - it will make the game much less frustrating. But, also, frustration is a part of the game, so you had best get used to feeling it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
KILL THIS THING WITH FIRE

nice avatar btw. Splatoon def looks like one of the most original and fun games to come out from this E3.

Patience is a virtue. Don't rush into combat and overall take things slowly while you learn the areas. Read enemies before attacking and you should be alright.

Lomax

There's a huge difference between side by side comparison and in-game comfort. Can I see or feel the difference? Of course. Can I see and feel the difference mid-game when 60 fps drops to 40 because of some weird particle effect? Most definitely. And that is much more disruptive to my play flow and enjoyment than a steady 30 fps is.

I could tell the diference between 30 vs 60, the thing is that for me, 30 fps will never be a LOL BROKEN GAME WILL NOT BUY THIS

Everyone can tell, whether they think they can or not. Even if you don't think you can see it, you can definitely feel it (and if you can't, maybe you're a zombie? ;) )

Seriously, I've played RE4 a lot and when I played the first section to get some playfire credit a few weeks ago, I couldn't figure out why it felt different... slightly off and not quite right. And it's because it was essentially more fluid and moving at double speed in terms of animation... it took a bit of playing, but once I adjusted... give me silky, give me smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom