• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolfenstein is getting lots of praise in the OT. Claiming it to be the best FPS in years. I tend to get it earlier now. I wonder how low the price will go during the Summer Sale.

Salsa

Wolfenstein is getting lots of praise in the OT. Claiming it to be the best FPS in years. I tend to get it earlier now. I wonder how low the price will go during the Summer Sale.

25 off at best

and it's not like it matters since the game is $59.99

im dying to play it but price is ludacris
Ludacris.gif

derExperte

Hmm... What Steam games should I look out for during the sale? Nothing new lately has interested me.

Come back every day after the dailies change and we'll tell you what to buy.

(11 days feels much too short, I have almost more games on my wishlist than there will be dailies.)

P.S. GOG.com "Something special is coming in... 10:48:48. Stay tuned!"

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
im finding games in both co-op and spies vs mercs pretty frequently

co-op is great

spies vs mercs I havent really been playing cause I dont like doing first person perspectives with a controller and switching to a keyboard is too much to my lazy laying back ass

*Rubs hands together*

"Time to reinstall Blacklist via Uplay."

*7 hours later*

"Okay, restarting Blacklist for the fifteenth time to get the last update."

"....I really should have bought the Steam version."

Sajjaja

*Rubs hands together*

"Time to reinstall Blacklist via Uplay."

*7 hours later*

"Okay, restarting Blacklist for the fifteenth time to get the last update."

"....I really should have bought the Steam version."

Exaggeration much.

Yeah but Steam version is always bes bro.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
BPM back to normal. Sorry I wasn't able to find the raw image file and dump it before they took it offline.

After doing some more testing, I feel like this is a non-issue. Sorry, not trying to get anyone worried here.
*Whew* That's a relief... Thank you.

Quick question: Just started the Gunpoint demo, and it's asking me to install DirectPlay. Not the first game that's done so, but I always ignore it. What is DirectPlay exactly, is it safe, and do I need it? Google wasn't really much help in the past, from what I recall, so I figured I'd ask here.
Sorry for bumping my own question, but I thought of something else to ask too...

If DP is not needed, is there a way to get Steam to stop asking me if I want to install it every time I launch a game that uses it?

Oh word? When I did it, I only had to do it 3-4 times. Didn't know it was an issue.

Other than the convenience of having all my games on Steam and thus not having to keep track of what games I bought where, having Steam handle the update process for Uplay games is the reason I sold my Blacklist and AC4 codes from my Nvidia promo and waited for the Steam versions to go on sale.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sorry for bumping my own question, but I thought of something else to ask too...

If DP is not needed, is there a way to get Steam to stop asking me if I want to install it every time I launch a game that uses it?

DirectPlay is part of DirectX, and if you're referring to the fact that on your first launch of many games Steam checks to verify that you have the correct version of the DirectX redistributable, no you can't turn that off. That's necessary to make sure the games run. It's annoying as hell that it can't be part of the silent background install of the main game proper, I agree.

Garcia

Speaking of FPS, are there any shooters out there focused on collecting stuff before you make any progress? I'm thinking of games like Turok or Turok 2 (N64) where you had to collect certain keys, weapons and complete missions before you could move any further, or GoldenEye 64 where there were specific (and extremely fun) mission objectives that added up to your final score.

(I was gonna mention Hexen or Doom as well since those are pretty much the grandfathers of the former in terms of gameplay mechanics.)

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hmmm. nice, the first Black Mirror is now on steam. No biggie for most people but the first game in the trilogy was always hard to come across for adventure fans. I will buy these during the summer sale. Excellent adventure games.

DirectPlay is part of DirectX, and if you're referring to the fact that on your first launch of many games Steam checks to verify that you have the correct version of the DirectX redistributable, no you can't turn that off. That's necessary to make sure the games run. It's annoying as hell that it can't be part of the silent background install of the main game proper, I agree.
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. Many games automatically try to install the latest version of DirectX after you run it for the first time, which is annoying but tolerable because it only happens once. This is something different.

Here's a screen of what I'm referring to:

dpscreen_zpsf51ca187.png

If I ignore it, which I have so far, the games still run without any issues. But it asks me to install it every time I play anything that needs it.

According to Wiki, DirectPlay is "deprecated " (outdated? no longer used?), so should I even bother with it?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
According to Wiki, DirectPlay is "deprecated " (outdated? no longer used?), so should I even bother with it?

Games using older versions of DirectX's API will presumably still use it even if it's deprecated in newer version, but besides that I'm not sure what your objection to installing it is. It's not malware, it doesn't take over your computer, it's not something that's passively running in the background taking up resources.

Is TF2 update up or not and what is it about? Stopped playing TF2 since last halloween since a it became a game only to play in events after going p2p (pay2pay).

Games using older versions of DirectX's API will presumably still use it even if it's deprecated in newer version, but besides that I'm not sure what your objection to installing it is. It's not malware, it doesn't take over your computer, it's not something that's passively running in the background taking up resources.
@DaBargainHunta: Why don't you just install it?
Because I wasn't sure what it was when I first posted the question. That's why I asked. Now that I know it's not harmful, I have no problem installing it. Thanks, Stump.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
kinda prefering the Panther approach to Blacklist. Was doing Ghost till now but Panther seems to give me more options

Once I finally let go of the no-kill/interfere rule due to some truly (IMO, at least) insipid enemy arrangements, Panther was amazing for keeping up with the flow while still allowing for sneaky setups.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Exaggeration much.

Yeah but Steam version is always bes bro.

It was a joke post, I have to reinstall Uplay first. But when I last played Blacklist around January, it was 10-15 restarts (including failed updates).

Classic SvM is really really fun and only needs 4 players, so if you can round up 3 other friends you can have a great time.

All of my friends that play action/stealth third and first person games tend to use consoles. :/

donny2112

Questions:
1. Can you give away GOG.com purchases or do they just go straight on your shelf with no means to send them to someone else? (Thinking of buying a game I already own from them to give away, but won't if there's no way to give it away. :/ )

2. With this being the 100th anniversary of the start of World War I, is the only game commemorating that Valiant Hearts from Ubisoft? Any other WWI games coming this year to remember the start of The Great War?

Thanks!

Ezalc

Questions:
1. Can you give away GOG.com purchases or do they just go straight on your shelf with no means to send them to someone else? (Thinking of buying a game I already own from them to give away, but won't if there's no way to give it away. :/ )

2. With this being the 100th anniversary of the start of World War I, is the only game commemorating that Valiant Hearts from Ubisoft? Any other WWI games coming this year to remember the start of The Great War?

Thanks!

I believe you can choose to buy something as a gift on gog, but I'm not sure how it works in regards to actually giving it to somebody.

Card Boy

Banned
Questions:

Yes you can gift GOG games to people if you buy as gift.

mannerbot

Questions:

When you check out on GOG there's an option to send a game as a gift via email.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Questions:

Cut the installer and paste it on a thumb drive and give it to your friend. Make sure you cut, not copy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I don't think I can buy everything ;_;

games -> metacritic 85 and above -> sort by release date, cut results jan 1, 2014 and onwards:
rise of nations: ee
freespace 2
battleblock theatre
dark souls ii
out of the park baseball 15
towerfall ascension
year walk

metacritic 80-85:
the floor is jelly
transistor
wolfenstein: the new order
trials fusion (NUCLEAR WARNING: UPLAY DETECTED DO NOT PURCHASE SAVE YOUR SYSTEM)
ether one
luftrausers
panzer corps
ff14
the banner saga
nidhogg
metal gear rising revengeance

will keep an eye on this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom