• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is trolling GMG's Top Sellers list with High School Dreams?
2014-06-05_19-46-16_zpsc29a48de.png

I've won quite a few stuff from here. All have been bundlegames but it doesn't matter. I don't have any spare keys from bundles to do a big giveaway that most of you guys are doing so I decide to give away big games once in a while as a thank you to the community

You, sir, kick ass.
As I said, should I actually win your giveaway, people can expect a decent giveaway from me in return. ;)

Oh God, please tell me you are not one of *those* people D:

You should know, aren't all Mario Karts the same after all?

I just think it's funny. It's not like I'm up in arms over it or anything. Though I would like to check the game out if it ever makes it to another platform I actually own.

Mario Kart, like a lot of Nintendo franchises, seems to vary little to little from entry to entry with a couple new twists and tweaks to try to freshen the core gameplay up. But for the most part in all the Mario Kart games I've played, the tracks are different, the graphics are different, but the majority of the gameplay is the same. MK, MK64, MKDS, MK Wii, etc. MKDD (GCN) might have been the most varied, but the general reception of that game seemed pretty negative, so I'm not sure they've strayed very far from the formula since then. I have but haven't played MK3DS because I just am kind of Mario Kart'ed out.

The new Zelda 3DS game did it right where it was close enough to being LttP but with enough variations that worked to make the game new and fresh. That and there hasn't been a classic 2D zelda since The Minish Cap, I think... so it's been awhile since we had a Zelda game like it. The DS games would count if you didn't have to use the stylus controls.

The_Monk

Slightly lower should be okay. Much lower? You'll get problems with new games sooner than later anyway.

Not very.

Minimum = what you need to get past the main menu
Recommended = high(er) settings at a begrudgingly acceptable framerate

Thanks you both of you, amazing people. Like I mentioned earlier I do not run for the best visual experience since it could be a very expensive hobby for me but I do like a steady framerate. If all else fails I hope I can lower the graphics to maintain a 60FPS experience. If I'm not going to even get that then there's not much I can do unless I upgrade which is not an option currently. (Well, there's always window mode in a tiny window but I did that for a long time in the past...)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Minimum is a HD7870?
I have a 7770 :(

I'm curious as to how people with lower-end cards will fare. The 7870/570 minimum is being baulked at but there's a good chance that, with the game being built from the ground-up with the X1 in mind, those hundreds of zombies aren't going to come cheap.

Dr Dogg

Well if seeing just a picture of Halo 2 on a tablet makes people think it's running on it I'm going to show you my copy of The Last Of Us running on my iPad. No for reals but you only get to see a static shot of the title screen ok?

Those Minimum system requirements truly worries me. :/ How accurate are they, usually?

As always take them with a pinch of salt until the game is out in the wild or a heavy does of sarcasm and just laugh them off ;)

JaseC

Thanks you both of you, amazing people. Like I mentioned earlier I do not run for the best visual experience since it could be a very expensive hobby for me but I do like a steady framerate. If all else fails I hope I can lower the graphics to maintain a 60FPS experience. If I'm not going to even get that then there's not much I can do unless I upgrade which is not an option currently. (Well, there's always window mode in a tiny window but I did that for a long time in the past...)

Well, the thing with system requirement recommendations is that they're far from an exact science, so there is a distinct possibility that minimum refers to what you'd need for a pleasant experience at (mostly) high settings and recommended is the least you'd need for a pleasant experience at (mostly) max settings.

I'm not balking. I'm lamenting. There's a difference.

...I wasn't singling you out.

Uzzy

Trials Fusion uses Uplay, right?

That Magic free weekend will make a load of my friends happy, that's for sure. Can't stand ccg's myself, but they love them.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I might just install that and give it a go.

It's a great way to experience Magic: The Gathering that doesn't require a significant investment like the physical cards do or Magic: The Gathering Online does.

I like that they've been able to capture M:TG in a format that is fun without being "Pay to Win". But speaking of pay to win, stay away from most of the DLC. All you want is the expansion pack and (optionally) the deck packs.

The rest of the DLC simply unlocks everything early which ruins the fun and completely eliminates the challenge.

Corpse Party was some bullshit on the PSP.

Did you just press X for over 7 minutes straight? cool, now here's a ghost in the room and if it touches you it's an instadeath sequence that, too, is several minutes long. Also: when retry be prepared to sit through ALL OF IT AGAIN. So while you press X to get past the 7 minutes of dialogue only to trial and error your way around the room, only to have the stupid ghost get you again and rinse/repeat the whole process...

Yeah, i gave up on this shit after not too long. And im not one of those visual novel haters: i beat 999, own the sequel, and LOVE snatcher. So yeah, Corpse Party was total dogshit.

The_Monk

As always take them with a pinch of salt until the game is out in the wild or a heavy does of sarcasm and just laugh them off ;)

I always do Doctor. ;) Which also come to this:

Well, the thing with system requirement recommendations is that they're far from an exact science, so there is a distinct possibility that minimum refers to what you'd need for a pleasant experience at (mostly) high settings and recommended is the least you'd need for a pleasant experience at (mostly) max settings.

That's right Jase and I could say I'm easy to please when it comes to find a pleasant experience regarding the visuals. I played games that were 4-5 years old on Steam recently and I was okay with what I got.

Which also makes me think about something interesting, which is: perception. There are PS3 games that are the equivalent of Low-Medium settings on PC these days. I think Crysis 3 is a good example of what I'm trying to explain. When I played the console version I thought it looked nice but then I played the same game (let's say Dirt 2) on PC and it was such a big difference for me. When I looked back I had a complete different perception. I don't know what to expect from a game like Dead Rising 3 and the Xbox One version is not the best game to showcase the console. Was it 720p 30 FPS? I would like to at least achieve that but again, Iet's wait and see.

Optimization also plays a very important role in all this, correct?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I just think it's funny. It's not like I'm up in arms over it or anything. Though I would like to check the game out if it ever makes it to another platform I actually own.
Phew!
Mind that such a thing is *very* unlikely, remember that Nintendo doesn't seem to like games they've paid for to appear anywhere else (like that glorious Goldeneye 360 clusterfuck).

Mario Kart, like a lot of Nintendo franchises, seems to vary little to little from entry to entry with a couple new twists and tweaks to try to freshen the core gameplay up. But for the most part in all the Mario Kart games I've played, the tracks are different, the graphics are different, but the majority of the gameplay is the same. MK, MK64, MKDS, MK Wii, etc. MKDD (GCN) might have been the most varied, but the general reception of that game seemed pretty negative, so I'm not sure they've strayed very far from the formula since then. I have but haven't played MK3DS because I just am kind of Mario Kart'ed out.
I disagree quite a lot with this, as the gameplay does vary and there are changes, new things and ways to play every iteration.
Would you say the Arkham games are the same? GTA? Gran Turismo? Street Fighter? Mortal Kombat? Halo? Half-Life? Every other gaming franchise ever?

The new Zelda 3DS game did it right where it was close enough to being LttP but with enough variations that worked to make the game new and fresh. That and there hasn't been a classic 2D zelda since The Minish Cap, I think... so it's been awhile since we had a Zelda game like it. The DS games would count if you didn't have to use the stylus controls.
But the game was new and fresh :/
It's a sequel to LttP and the similarities are mostly how it looks, not even the overworld(s) are the same.

Wow, I have a HD 7870 and a Phenom II x4 965. Barely over minimun.
Hopefully these are just for playing it safe rather than being the true minimum.

Anteater

Well, might pick up Dead Rising 3 just for coop, good thing about these ports is that I don't have to convince my friends to pay 500bucks + a monthly subscription + the price of a game to play a game with me once every 3 weeks.

I guess this is another case of "sales goes down so skirt goes up" situation.
Anyway, guess I'll upgrade my Magic 2012 to 2014 at this price.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I'm curious as to how people with lower-end cards will fare. The 7870/570 minimum is being baulked at but there's a good chance that, with the game being built from the ground-up with the X1 in mind, those hundreds of zombies aren't going to come cheap.
Well, with new consoles a jump in video requirements was expected, especially in this case since both Xbone's and PS4's GPUs are based on AMD's HD7000 series.
I was just hoping to scrape through :p

Knurek

Yes! Magic 2014. Been waiting for that one, instabought.
Pity they didn't discount 2012 as well, would be lovely to have that one.
Can't wait for 2015 with custom deck building...

JaseC

Optimization also plays a very important role in all this, correct?

Absolutely. Max Payne 3 is a fine example of a game that looks great but demands surprisingly little to max out with a playable framerate (MSAA aside).

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
Ichi is coming this month!

This one button puzzle game was Apple's Editor's Choice. It was also features by Samsung, Google, Amazon, Apple and more. Finally it's coming to Steam!

10351374_569535649829889_959277269479153631_n.jpg

Features:
  • Level editor
  • Online level sharing/rating/tagging
  • Big picture mode
  • Controller support
  • PC/Mac/Linux
  • Achievements
  • Leaderboards
  • Trading cards
  • More than 19.000 levels!
  • It's fun too!

www.ichi-game.com

Knurek

Ichi is coming this month!
This one button puzzle game was Apple's Editor's Choice. It was also features by Samsung, Google, Amazon, Apple and more. Finally it's coming to Steam!

Finally, been waiting for this one!
Can you confirm keys for IR/GL bundle buyers?

Grief.exe

It's a great way to experience Magic: The Gathering that doesn't require a significant investment like the physical cards do or Magic: The Gathering Online does.

I like that they've been able to capture M:TG in a format that is fun without being "Pay to Win". But speaking of pay to win, stay away from most of the DLC. All you want is the expansion pack and (optionally) the deck packs.

The rest of the DLC simply unlocks everything early which ruins the fun and completely eliminates the challenge.

Thanks for the input Jshackles!

For now, time for some more San Andreas

Yes! Magic 2014. Been waiting for that one, instabought.
Pity they didn't discount 2012 as well, would be lovely to have that one.
Can't wait for 2015 with custom deck building...

I don't know too much about the games, but they may be in an Activision situation where the products are too similar. Discounting the previous version just cannibalizes sales for the new versions.

r3n4ud

Feck. Should have read your post before buying the gold complete version instead of the gold game version :/

Can I remove some of the dlc from installing like we can in Sleeping Dogs?

Very solid bundle, although I already own most of it.

I own like 80% of that (missing The Great JItters, The Guild II, and ArcaniA. I might bite for $1 to get 2/3 that I'm missing.

I mean bonuses obviously :=)

Yeah, JaseC guessed that... I couldn't follow what you were saying, friend-o. Sorry.

Guacamelee's combat was fluent in large part thanks to its roll cancelling, but calling it "some of the best 2D combat" is pushing it when it lacks any meaningful depth (and not just within its own subgenre). Functional but basic would be how I'd describe it and comparatively speaking Outland's fighting mechanics are about as shallow, but it does feel more wooden in all honesty. That's where Guacamelee has the upper hand. On the flipside: virtually everything else is more developed in Outland and it also gets straight to the point by very quickly giving players access to new skills rather than pointlessly beating around the bush for an hour or two like Guacamelee did initially. Outland also wasn't shy to have the difficulty escalate more rapidly, whereas Guacamelee only had a semblance of challenge (for me) at approximately the 85% mark. Bosses were also more enjoyable in Outland for me, it had the more engaging polarity swapping between the two and its universe had more cohesion (or 'grace' I suppose) because the thematics weren't deterred by all the played-out memes for ill-conceived comedy relief. Difference in art style is a matter of preference: I liked them both, but I found Outland's aesthetics to be prettier nonetheless. There's more to speak of where I ultimately favor Outland, but the above stuck out to me the most. Agree to disagree I guess.

I enjoyed Guacamelee for what it was - it had character, a nice soundtrack, smooth controls and it was fairly relaxing - but it wasn't a particularly good Metroidvania nor a refined one in more ways than one in my opinion. "Above average foundation" is the most I can give it if the devs ever intend to make a sequel for it. Outland however came closer to what I expect from the genre, even with its own flaws.

I'm going to be that obnoxious guy, but whenever I read carefully thought-out posts like these, instances of "could/should/would of" stick out like an eyesore.

I honestly don't remember much of Outland. I played it once, got all the trophies, and proceeded to remove it from my PS3 as I had no intention of going back without trophies to work on. Guacamelee on the other hand I've completed 100% twice and overall 4 times including all DLC and all achievements/trophies. Like Mutant Blobs Attack, it's a great game with good core mechanics and it's fun.

My comments on the combat mostly pertain to how much variation you can get. I don't remember the combat in Outland very much, but it wasn't nearly as deep or flexible as Guacamelee. Guacamelee plays like an action game translated to 2D and did it better, IMO, than other games like Shank. All one needs to look to for proof, as far as I'm concerned, is the side mission that consists of combo challenges.

As far as challenge, yeah, you're right. It's not an extremely hard game... especially if you've meticulously searched for all the upgrades. The bosses are well designed in that that have various patterns and if you learn them you'll do very well, it's very old school in that regard. With Outland, the couple things that stand out in my memory trying to look back on it are:

(1) The final boss had some ridiculously frustrating polarity patterns that were very hard to deal with, even if you knew what was coming. It took me a good number of tries to finally beat him. But I remember finding it frustrating instead of rewarding, personally.
(2) I think this was the game with the hidden "score" or "money" sacks and there was an achievement for getting some ridiculous amount of currency... I felt like that was a chore and not overly rewarding.
(3) I remember I didn't like the sort of "tribal" aesthetic in the early game for some reason... I didn't like the luchador aspect of Guacamelee either at first, but Guacamelee grew on me, probably because it had so much character and personality, where as Outland is kind of mostly business. (It's got great design, I just wasn't a fan of some of it).

Guacamelee is one of the games I gush about, especially since it was on PS3/Vita as cross buy (and because Drinkbox made TfS:MBA, which was also fantastic on Vita).

But hey man, at least you enjoyed it some. :)

Batman Blackgate is 5€ again at the Ubistore and it gives you a Steam key. And they're having an E3 sale with daily deals. http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubiemea/en_GB/pd/ThemeID.8605600/productID.300541000

Yeah, but I'm guessing the vast majority of that isn't steam redeemable?

Daily Trials Fusion 25% off
Weekend
  • Stardock Weekend up to 75% off
  • Magic 2014 75% off FREE WEEKEND

Oh look, it's on sale for 25% off here too?
Wonder what the RU pricing is then?

Trials Fusion uses Uplay, right?

That Magic free weekend will make a load of my friends happy, that's for sure. Can't stand ccg's myself, but they love them.

Magic is awesome. Then again, I'm one of the nerds who used to play it in high school -- I still have a small collection of cards around here somewhere. It's sort of like chess, but I find all the intricacies a lot more engaging.

Ubisoft going all out with that 25%

It is a pretty new release though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom