• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2014 - Enhanced Electronics Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

It's a great way to experience Magic: The Gathering that doesn't require a significant investment like the physical cards do or Magic: The Gathering Online does.

I like that they've been able to capture M:TG in a format that is fun without being "Pay to Win". But speaking of pay to win, stay away from most of the DLC. All you want is the expansion pack and (optionally) the deck packs.

The rest of the DLC simply unlocks everything early which ruins the fun and completely eliminates the challenge.

So people should get Gold Game, rather than the Special Edition or Gold Game Complete?

Ah, I was wondering why Civ IV+expansions+Colonization were downloading big updates today. Guess it's related to the Gamespy->Steam switchover.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So people should get Gold Game, rather than the Special Edition or Gold Game Complete?

Yes, most definitely.

If you accidently get the Gold Game Complete (sorry to hear that r3n4ud), be sure to uncheck all the "Deck unlock" DLC in the client before starting the game.

r3n4ud

Not to panic anyone, but have they changed the foil card drop rate or something?
4 foils on 35 drops is not normal :(

Bah. Stealth brag post :p

image.php

JakeD

i knew it was only a matter of time before i got "minimum'd" but i figured it would be witcher 3 or star citizen or something...the fact that it's an xbone game is insult to injury :(

Phew!
Mind that such a thing is *very* unlikely, remember that Nintendo doesn't seem to like games they've paid for to appear anywhere else (like that glorious Goldeneye 360 clusterfuck).

I disagree quite a lot with this, as the gameplay does vary and there are changes, new things and ways to play every iteration.
Would you say the Arkham games are the same? GTA? Gran Turismo? Street Fighter? Mortal Kombat? Halo? Half-Life? Every other gaming franchise ever?

But the game was new and fresh :/
It's a sequel to LttP and the similarities are mostly how it looks, not even the overworld(s) are the same.

Yeah, I know it's unlikely about Bayonetta 2. But I'm holding out hope since some of the companies would probably like a bigger demographic than Wii U owners who want good action games. :)

As far as Mario Kart goes, other than the ones I haven't played, they all feel like Mario Kart to me. It's new and shiny with new tracks and such, but they've never really strayed far from their formula as far as I'm concerned.

To answer your other questions, take the Batman games for example:
Would you say the Arkham games are the same?
Arkham City and Origins are very similar. There's some differences, but a lot of origins is definitely pulled from City and it shows. I still like Origins better than City overall, but I wouldn't say there's a ton of difference between the two. Asylum to City there's a big change in structure though.

Now I'm not saying every sequel has to be new and innovative and change the formula up. I like games that do what Mario Kart 8 probably does. My point in saying that was partial hyperbole, but the core of my point remains -- Mario Kart 8 seems like another Mario Kart game. You know what you're getting, mostly, before you buy it. And as such, someone without a Wii U of his own would have to be a ridiculous Mario Kart fanatic to go out and buy it just to play it on a friend's system (however frequently).

As far as the new Zelda, it still follows the same formula as LttP -- there's the village area (with dungeon) and the lost woods (with dungeon) and death mountain (with dungeon), etc. However, being able to rent all the items from the start and tackle the dungeons in any order? That's noteworthy, even if some of the dungeons were a bit easy or short (which works better for handheld play at times).

this is a megaton, im not even joking

It's good news. I'll probably support them by picking them up when it's on sale as I just recently both bought both PSP games to play on my Vita and I haven't gotten around to them yet.

$5 on US store, which is tempting to me.
I don't see any mention of Steam on the page - are you sure?

No.
Blackgate is a mistake.
Avoid it.

Grief.exe

You know what that means don't you? ;)

Then again might be a while before there's a mid tier Maxwell card available. Hahaha and far be it for me to push you into financial decisions.

I'm no buster. Way too much San Andreas....

I just got an Engineering internship/full-time position so I'm going 880 when that series comes out.

Also getting some games for Steam GAF after my first paycheck.

Benedict

Accidentaly activated Batman Blackgate on my daughters Steamaccount instead of my own... :(
I guess I can still play it if it's still on the same computer?

Or???
It's tied to my Uplay account but not to my Steam-account, that is my daughters who doesn't have U-play.
This might be complicated...

Magic 2014 players:

Are sealed deck slots worth it?

I'm picking up the DLC I'm missing (deck packs 1, 2, and 3). I already own the expansion.
About the only other thing I see is the sealed deck slots but I can't tell what buying sealed deck slot 3, 4, and 5 actually does.

Does it just let you store more decks for the sealed tournaments so you don't have to delete your current ones if you like them to create a new one?

Here's my extra TTM.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

To the Moon -- MB-4A750E4A5622E9E4 - Taken by Caerith. 2 entrants total.

t1401991287z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Accidentaly activated Batman Blackgate on my daughters Steamaccount instead of my own... :(
I guess I can still play it if it's still on the same computer?

If you contact Support, providing proof of purchase, you may be able to have the key unlinked even though Steam's support section no longer addresses such situations. Someone in the Dark Souls 2 OT accidentally registered a key to his brother's account and, reportedly, Valve obliged his request to have it unlinked.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
My Murdered Key came in from CDKeys (got the game for $24 there), installing now and will post impressions later. However, I just want to say, the favorite Steam library capitalization returns.

Murdered.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Magic 2014 players:

Are sealed deck slots worth it?

I'm picking up the DLC I'm missing (deck packs 1, 2, and 3). I already own the expansion.
About the only other thing I see is the sealed deck slots but I can't tell what buying sealed deck slot 3, 4, and 5 actually does.

Does it just let you store more decks for the sealed tournaments so you don't have to delete your current ones if you like them to create a new one?

Sealed deck slots are not worth purchasing, in my opinion, unless you do a lot of sealed deck play online.

The random number generator that determines which cards you get in your "sealed deck slots" is tied to your Steam ID. So if you delete a sealed deck and start a new one, you get the same cards every time.

Buying new "sealed deck slots" allows you to get different cards to make a perhaps more superior sealed deck.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Somehow I got my Child of Light back and finished the game. Loved every bit of it.
Especially that bit where your savegame vanishes, ey? Very thrilling.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
How's the single player in Magic The Gathering? I'm not familiar with the rules of the game so I'm not comfortable with playing online

Steam Client Beta Update - June 5
JÚNIUS 5. - SLOUKEN

We've just published a new beta which includes the following changes.

General
Fix "Recently Played" list generation
Removed defunct “Media” filter from the library filter menu
Added Tools to the Installed and Recently Played library lists

In-Home Streaming
Worked around NVIDIA driver crash when streaming games from laptops with NVIDIA GPUs
Fixed regression causing crazy colors when streaming some games
Fixed the escape key canceling fullscreen mode on Mac OS X
Fixed window size when leaving fullscreen mode on Mac OS X
Streaming uses UDP ports 27031 and 27036 and TCP ports 27036 and 27037

Virtual Reality Mode
Added support for VR mode on Linux
Added support for VR mode on OSX

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Yeah. I do now actually know what I did. But it did contain, veifying game cashe, uninstalling tha game, uninstalling UPlay, Googling, backuping etc.
That sounds like a Ubisoft game allright. :D

jshackles

How's the single player in Magic The Gathering? I'm not familiar with the rules of the game so I'm not comfortable with playing online

The single player is good, and there are 5-6 "tutorial" levels at the beginning of the campaign that step you through the rules and how to play. The tutorials are actually pretty good, and I recommend them (and the single player campaign in this game) to people I know who are just learning to play.

people being surprised at a next-gen game asking for a 570 as minimum in 2014

what did anyone expect

some people have been spoiled way too much these last years

plus remember all the people saying how next gen isn't going to cause a spec bump, everything's going to be fine blahblah

Uzzy

The single player is good, and there are 5-6 "tutorial" levels at the beginning of the campaign that step you through the rules and how to play. The tutorials are actually pretty good, and I recommend them (and the single player campaign in this game) to people I know who are just learning to play.

Do you know how close the rules of the video game are to the actual rules?

Salsa

some people have been spoiled way too much these last years

plus remember all the people saying how next gen isn't going to cause a spec bump, everything's going to be fine blahblah

im as bummed as anyone about the potential short legs my 2GB 680 has, considering I bought it last year, and at dat uruguayan price

but yeah lets be real

Arthea

singleplay is very much worth it if you are into MtG at all. Campaign it nice and there are challenges too, I would suggest buying expansion dlc for this purpose also.

Benedict

If you contact Support, providing proof of purchase, you may be able to have the key unlinked even though Steam's support section no longer addresses such situations. Someone in the Dark Souls 2 OT accidentally registered a key to his brother's account and, reportedly, Valve obliged his request to have it unlinked.

Thanks, but that's too much hassle, I'll cope... somehow.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
im as bummed as anyone about the potential short legs my 2GB 680 has, considering I bought it last year, and at dat uruguayan price

but yeah lets be real

Yeah, in hindsight I should have opted for 4GB 670s. It's beginning to reach the point where 2GB simply isn't enough, even at 1680x1050 (Watch Dogs, Wolf14).

Grief.exe

people being surprised at a next-gen game asking for a 570 as minimum in 2014

what did anyone expect

but yeah lets be real

System requirements are complete bullshit, putting stock in them is an exercise in futility.

Your 680 is more than fine, never jump to conclusions based on system requirements alone.

jshackles

Do you know how close the rules of the video game are to the actual rules?

The gameplay mechanics are completely intact - meaning that the ruleset used in the game is exactly the same as the ruleset for the physical game.

The only difference being that in Duals of the Plainswalkers, you can't really build your own decks. There is a limited amount of customization you achieve by "unlocking" new cards for each deck as you play, but you can't really make your own "custom" deck whereas with physical cards you can go nuts and build your own unique strategy.

derExperte

Yeah, in hindsight I should have opted for 4GB 670s. It's beginning to reach the point where 2GB simply isn't enough, even at 1680x1050.

There's Daylight and W_D which might get patched to work much better with less VRAM. I think 2GB will still be enough for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom