• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendou

Oculus on why their games won't be available on Steam:

PCG: I think Oculus Home is an interesting thing for PC gamers. You can get PC games in a lot of places, but most people get them on Steam. I think there was probably an assumption two years ago that you'd be getting Oculus Rift games through Steam, and now that’s probably not the case. Can you talk about what it’s going to be like to publish games for Rift? Will they only be available through Home, or will that just be one place you can get them?

Mitchell: It differs from developer to developer. We’ll have some exclusive games that you can only get through Home. Probably a lot of our stuff, right? That just makes sense. If we’re making it, we want to sell it through our own store. But there will be stuff you can buy directly from developers, for example. We’ve said from the beginning that the Rift—the hardware itself—is an open platform, and that’s really important to us. We think it matches the PC ecosystem really well. So, for example, if we make a game together, we can sell it directly to a consumer, they can run it, they can play it on the Rift, awesome.
But on the flip side of that, we want to make sure it’s a great experience for us to get our game to Rift users really easily. If I’m a Rift user and I go home, I install all the Rift software, I put on the Rift, and I drop right into Home. We can put our game front and center in the store right there, they can buy it, install it, play it, all without taking the headset off. That’s an experience that you can’t get through Steam, you can’t get anywhere, really, even from us as developers. We really want to make sure that user experience is as seamless as possible, for users and for devs. Does that make sense?

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-vp-nate-mitchell-on-exclusive-games-and-dx12s-impact-on-vr/

Don't blame them for trying to have some sort of walled garden for the thing. It makes a ton of sense to make the Rift and its store as painless to the user to use as possible if they want mass market acceptance.

Dr Dogg

We'll against the grain I'm getting pretty good performance out of Arkham Knight. Then again I'd bloody hope so with my PC. Saying that you can blatantly tell the asset creation and pipeline was geared around ambient occlusion which there is fuck all in the PC release so everything looks a little off and not quite right (especially Bats' face, looks even more gormless than usual). Memory usage is crazy though and after an hour had creeped up to 15gigs system and a whopping 22gb as a commit. Considering I can have a 200+ page full colour magazine loaded up into RAM in InDesign in less says something really isn't right there and I bet will be a cause of a few crashes for some peeps.

Also because I doubt many or any have bothered to check but Iron Galaxy are listed in the credits as additional engineering and PC support with about 9 employees in total credited. Funnily QLOC are as well (but under the masses of QA credits) with about 40 employees listed.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
In Crusader Kings II, I keep getting overconfident and attacking people and then I get my ass handed to me. Haha I'm so bad at this game but it's really fun.

Haha, it is a very interesting title. The learning curve is a bit much in the beginning, but you will eventually get a handle on it. However I am annoyed that Paradox categorized skins and other small bits alongside other more substantial paid DLC.

If you are a fan of the Game of Thrones series, some fans have created a conversion mod for CKII that you might find appealing.

Lol, the little animation in the title.

2c83908f590f5c1b1406810e0408ec028b2c141e.gif

Didn't seem I missed out on too much when I went out this morning.

So Arkham Knight and DMC4SE are fun enough, not to mention all the stuff I picked up in the Steam Sale...

... but there's this nagging voice in my head going "Why aren't you just playing the Witcher 3 right now? You're nowhere near done with it, and it's freaking fantastic. Why aren't you just playing that?"

Good question, voice. Good question.

So Arkham Knight and DMC4SE are fun enough, not to mention all the stuff I picked up in the Steam Sale...

... but there's this nagging voice in my head going "Why aren't you just playing the Witcher 3 right now? You're nowhere near done with it, and it's freaking fantastic. Why aren't you just playing that?"

that's all I kept thinking during sale

Salsa

im 65 hours on the Witcher and like 2/3rds done

batman will take like 10 hours. just make sure to come back after

I mainly dont wanna get anything on batman spoiled

rumor has it he is millionare playboy bruce wayne

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

The sacred mushroom of Phungoria has been stolen, Grandpa Goodmate is going to be executed and things ain't looking too good. Now it's up to YOU... catch the thief, recover the mushroom and save Grandpa... all by the end of the week. So hurry Gilbert, time is running out... Oh, and do try to keep your hands off the Princess!

• Over 40 hours of adventurous gameplay
  • Detailed story with more than 15,000 lines of dialogue

• Brought to life with over 6,000 frames of animation
  • Interact with more than 50 interesting characters
  • Classic 2D style with beautiful hand-drawn locations
  • Excellent musical score
  • Chock-full of fun logical puzzles
  • Dialogue read by professional actors

Dr.Acula

Banned

Yes, but:

"We’ll have some exclusive games that you can only get through Home. Probably a lot of our stuff, right? That just makes sense. If we’re making it, we want to sell it through our own store. But there will be stuff you can buy directly from developers, for example. We’ve said from the beginning that the Rift—the hardware itself—is an open platform, and that’s really important to us."

So anyone can make games that support the Rift, but Oculus' original software will not be available on Steam. No different than some EA or Ubisoft games not being on Steam.

Backlogger

Just as well as I never planned on getting one.

Also, just read this part:

But on the flip side of that, we want to make sure it’s a great experience for us to get our game to Rift users really easily. If I’m a Rift user and I go home, I install all the Rift software, I put on the Rift, and I drop right into Home. We can put our game front and center in the store right there, they can buy it, install it, play it, all without taking the headset off. That’s an experience that you can’t get through Steam, you can’t get anywhere, really, even from us as developers. We really want to make sure that user experience is as seamless as possible, for users and for devs. Does that make sense?

If they really wanted to they could allow other store fronts such as Steam and Origin to develop apps that run inside Occulus, just like "Home". Where there is a will there is a way; my guess is there is no "will".

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Generally I think arguments of the form "I think our product is better, which is why we're trying to stop people from using other products, because if we didn't, they wouldn't choose our product, which is better" are pretty bad.

Clearly Stump doesn't see the value of installing a game in VR.

Only Rift lets you have these truly unique experiences.

It makes sense. The divine cosmos had to balance out the highest of highs in E3 by throwing out this shoddy state of affairs this week. It's like every developer has forgot what PR is and started making silly foot-in-mouth statements. Siege's "no AI teammates" spiel, Reggie Fils-Aime saying stupid shit, Kojima admitting MGS V's story isn't cohesive, Oculus pretending Steam isn't a thing, Rocksteady dumping higher PC specs on players at the last moment, etc.

idk why people keep fixating on team size. thats normal

if anything the worrying news there is that they had just 8 weeks

Well I think people are upset that the PC version was only worth 12 Iron Galaxy employees and 8 weeks of time, while the console version was done by the whole of Rocksteady, if anything the PC version should have had the most people working on it, given the nature of PC gaming optimization.

We paid the same $60 so we should get a product of the same quality. Plus did anyone know it was being outsourced before launch? I never heard anything of it.

GaussTek

Jesus, I thought this kind of "PC porting" mess was a thing of the past now that consoles use x86-64. Hell, the game is Unreal Engine 3. How they could have messed up this so bad?

fallout

idk why people keep fixating on team size. thats normal

if anything the worrying news there is that they had just 8 weeks
Yeah, while development teams can get quite large in AAA, the big numbers you hear about are usually animators, graphic artists, level designers, etc. All of that content creation wouldn't be needed for a port.

Salsa

Well I think people are upset that the PC version was only worth 12 Iron Galaxy employees and 8 weeks of time, while the console version was done by the whole of Rocksteady, if anything the PC version should have had the most people working on it, given the nature of PC gaming optimization.

We paid the same $60 so we should get a product of the same quality. Plus did anyone know it was being outsourced before launch? I never heard anything of it.

12 people doing a PC port is not unheard of is all im saying. plenty of fantastic ports with like 4 people on them. the laziness wasnt on size but time/resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom