• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eila

Row Row fight the power.

I went to see how many games I have but I'm much more scared of my Steam playtime record.
2243.0 Hours... damn...
Guess I can't say I don't play the games I buy.

I have more playtime just in TF2 and Tribes Ascend. There's probably some DOTA 2 guys in here with more than that. That game does something to you.

for my 2000th game...

*redeems some random turd bundle filled with junk i've never heard of and won't play*

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You're children will shed a tear when they inherit a giant collection of turd bundles.
Bought the Humble Borderlands bundle. Only after activating could I see it was a censored German version. Requested removal of the game from my account at Steam Support. Got a key for BL1 from USA friends.

It's a hassle for sure but fight the power!

madjoki

That Hitman thread is just weird. People should wait how it turns out and then decide. We're talking about free updates here. But people are almost painting it worse than paid DLCs and season passes.

Yeah, weird stuff. I think it could turn out great.

(Who want's overall story to tie all assassinations anyway.)

I'd be happy with TV-series like "case of the week" approach.

Parsnip

God damn it.
Glanced at the Giantbomb Batman review to see if Brad mentions the PC issues (he does at the very end), and got spoiled for a thing. Apparently it happens very early in the game, but still, fuck.

Alienware Witcher 3 code finally came in a little while ago.

It's the GOG version. :(

I should be able to upgrade it to the Steam version for about $7 by selling the GOG code, though. (Hopefully!)
I'd really like something to play in the meantime while the whole Arkham Knight fiasco gets sorted out.

Annubis

I have more playtime just in TF2 and Tribes Ascend. There's probably some DOTA 2 guys in here with more than that. That game does something to you.

I have over 4000 hours of LoL and I nearly fell into depression when I typed my final /played just before quitting WoW.

#What am I doing with my life

Terra_Ex

That Hitman thread is just weird. People should wait how it turns out and then decide. We're talking about free updates here. But people are almost painting it worse than paid DLCs and season passes.

Strikes me as using an episodic content model without strictly being episodic. Just more content being delivered over time, not unlike say a Telltale release. However, on the face of it, it's eminently fitting for the Hitman franchise *if* the devs follow through on their promises. Taking Blood Money as the template and expanding on that, sustaining it with regular new content, a player-sustained "Contracts" selection of missions in larger sandboxes and (presumably) new official levels and missions being added in over time. Sounds like they're focusing on the right things so far, if they nail it the game could have very long legs and could be the game to topple Blood Money.

titch

Couple of indieroyale codes - use em before they get squashed!!!!!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (titch, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Chainsaw Warrior -- MB-F0A54B894DDCCC7E - Taken by Deques. 2 entrants total.
Epigenesis -- MB-CDCAB5526CC84CAB - Taken by gurm3n. 1 entrants total.

t1435435080z1.png

Grief.exe

Oh my, going to consult SteamGAF for the 3000th game? I'm a little over 400 games to the 3k badge. Backlog I can never complete in large number badge form, you shall be mine~

To put that in perspective, that's more games than my entire library.

I have over 4000 hours of LoL and I nearly fell into depression when I typed my final /played just before quitting WoW.

#What am I doing with my life

The price of gitting gud.

I'm at just over 700 and I don't plan on making any big jumps as I've stopped buying bundle garbage like I used to. Combined with the extinction of the Russian bear and owning consoles+handhelds as well means I will only buy games I will at least play 5 minutes of for the most part.

Jawmuncher

I'm at just over 700 and I don't plan on making any big jumps as I've stopped buying bundle garbage like I used to. Combined with the extinction of the Russian bear and owning consoles+handhelds as well means I will only buy games I will at least play 5 minutes of for the most part.

Same here, I've slowed down a lot when it comes to steam purchases.

I slowed down after my first year on steam, I realized I would never have the time to play them, mind you this was during high school when we have the most free time. Only buy games I plan on playing within 6 months, if not ill pass. Also stopped buying bundles unless it has games I actually plan on playing not ones that are like "maybe one day ill give it a shot"

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've played a few hours of Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. It's obviously heavily inspired by Zelda (specifically, Wind Waker) but that's a really good thing because it captures the spirit of the Zelda series well.

I'm about 17% complete according to the in-game counter after 2.5 hours but I think I'm actually about a third of the way though the main story. So I'm guessing it'll be about an 8-10 hour game. I recommend it if you're a Zelda fan and are looking for something to play.

I've played a few hours of Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas, and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. It's obviously heavily inspired by Zelda (specifically, Wind Waker) but that's a really good thing because it captures the spirit of the Zelda series well.

I'm about 17% complete according to the in-game counter after 2.5 hours but I think I'm actually about a third of the way though the main story. So I'm guessing it'll be about an 8-10 hour game. I recommend it if you're a Zelda fan and are looking for something to play.
That's good to know, i've been interested in the Zelda series recently, and iwas skeptical of Oceanhorn, but i'll buy it when I see a good price for it.

Thanks! :)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So my server host informed me that they had multiple catastrophic failures in multiple data centers, and that Enhanced Steam's servers will be offline until they can bring things back up. :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So my server host informed me that they had multiple catastrophic failures in multiple data centers, and that Enhanced Steam's servers will be offline until they can bring things back up. :(

Yeah the extended power outage scenario is the worst case imaginable really.

I ran into a server problem a few years ago (before modern cloud deployment stuff) that worked like the following:
- A planned maintenance situation in a datacenter got messed up
- My server suffered an irreparable hardware failure as a result
- They set me up a new physical server and mounted the old server's drive as a slave
- Something messed up in the slaving process
- When I finally managed to get the server up and the data copied, I went to change my DNS information
- The DNS service I was using went paid in the years between when I set it up and the day of the failure; they kept serving requests, but I could not change the DNS info
- I contacted the person who had control over the domain, it took him a day or two to get back to me
- Total downtime: >5 days, with no way to get an error message up to users.

Since I'm no longer a sysadmin professionally, I thankfully no longer get night terrors where I wake up at 3AM crying and convinced a server has failed, but the memories still haunt me. I still get mega-stressed when ModBot's server undergoes maintenance, hahaha.

BruteUA

Dirty Bomb is pretty great, if you're into that sort of game. The usual jerks in class-based shooters, like medics that don't heal, snipers that go for kills instead of objectives, etc. But still fun.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Looks like my average cost per game on Steam over the last 8 years has been $1.005. That's heavily skewed from the early years where I was paying $5-10 a game; this year I'm averaging $0.53. That's sub app store pricing levels.

Dirty Bomb is pretty great, if you're into that sort of game. The usual jerks in class-based shooters, like medics that don't heal, snipers that go for kills instead of objectives, etc. But still fun.

Yeah I've been playing a lot lately too, it's got the same downfalls of most F2P shooters but it's damn fun to play.

Parsnip

I enjoyed it as well, and I think the bugs I had with it have been fixed since then. Everyone should grab it at some point, even if the Steam version doesn't have Uematsu and Ito music.

Still a bit sad that you can't break pots with your sword though.
oceanhorn-pots.gif

dex3108

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/PC-Update-June-27th/m-p/581703

Rocksteady is leading our team of developers and partners as we work on the PC performance issues that players have been encountering. The work is significant and while we are making good progress on improving performance, it will take some time to ensure that we get the right fixes in place.

Below is the list of the key areas where we are dedicating our resources to improve the experience for our loyal fans:

- Support for frame rates above 30FPS in the graphics settings menu
- Fix for low resolution texture bug
- Improve overall performance and framerate hitches
- Add more options to the graphics settings menu
- Improvements to hard drive streaming and hitches
- Address full screen rendering bug on gaming laptop
- Improvements to system memory and VRAM usage
- NVIDIA SLI bug fixes
- Enabling AMD Crossfire
- NVIDIA and AMD updated drivers

While we work on improving performance, we will also continue to make interim patches available to address issues for those still playing the game on PC. The first patch is being released now and the updates include:

- Fixed a crash that was happening for some users when exiting the game
- Fixed a bug which disabled rain effects and ambient occlusion. We are actively looking into fixing other bugs to improve this further
- Corrected an issue that was causing Steam to re-download the game when verifying the integrity of the game cache through the Steam client
- Fixed a bug that caused the game to crash when turning off Motion Blur in BmSystemSettings.ini. A future patch will enable this in the graphics settings menu

We would like to thank our fans for their patience and invaluable feedback. We will continue to monitor and listen for any additional issues.

We are slowly getting there. Rocksteady should lead devs from the start.

titch

Since I'm no longer a sysadmin professionally, I thankfully no longer get night terrors where I wake up at 3AM crying and convinced a server has failed, but the memories still haunt me. I still get mega-stressed when ModBot's server undergoes maintenance, hahaha.

Walking into a server room i had just inherited that had turned into a sauna after the security manager had failed to notify anyone a change in the alarm system meant that no-one would attend the site after a short power failure and no-one telling me that said power failure would kill the server rooms aircon wasn't my best of days.

Luckily though what looked like three dead servers turned out only to be a failed UPS...

Decided not long after that and with the company having no cash to replace said dodgy hardware i decided maybe it was a good idea to move on.

Parsnip

- Fix for low resolution texture bug
- Improvements to system memory and VRAM usage
These two are the ones I'm waiting for to get crossed off before I jump back in.
I mean performance improvements are always appreciated, but I didn't really have problems in that regard yet. But low resolution texture bugs stick out so much that I can't deal with it.
And the ram and vram usage is pretty nuts.

Tenrius

My laptop really disappoints me. Despite having 1 Gb 750M, 8 Gb RAM and an i7, it's really not up to par, at times it performs worse than my previous laptop from 2010. I think the heatsink is somehow not doing it job right, because it basically overheats to 100-101 °С in graphics games which makes the driver drop GPU core frequency from ~900 MHz to 200-400. Shit's nasty, as a result I get ~20 FPS in games like Arkham City and Dawn of Discovery (as opposed to 50-60 before it overheats, which takes 1-2 minutes) and 6-8 FPS in The Witcher 3. Tried taking the bottom cover off, but it doesn't give you access to the actual heatsink which needs some further disassembling. I'm really not into this stuff, but I guess I'll have to do this when I have the time (w/ some help from a tech savvy rommate), despite not being really hopeful. Still, it's obvious that things couldn't get much worse, so might as well try and perform the whole heat paste replacing/dust cleaning routine and see if it helps a little.

If there's any advice someone could give beyond that (and obvious things like disabling power saving in Nvidia control panel etc), it'd greatly appreciated.

def sim

We are slowly getting there. Rocksteady should lead devs from the start.

Good to hear. Hopefully they get most of that done sometime in July; I'll pick it up then. The console version does not perform as well as I thought a "tour de force" would imply.

Grief.exe

If the game Arcsys is spoiling really is Battle Fantasia I will finally be able to play with people.

I actually liked it.

Stay positive.

I really hope Dirty Bomb takes off. The gunplay is excellent, and I am a huge fan of the way the maps play out with new objectives as teams clear content, and the business model is very fair.

Angry Joe posted an extremely ignorant video, even for him, on the business model. I really hope that didn't kill the games chances. Dirty Bomb peaked at 11K concurrent players today, so it seems to be experiencing some solid growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom