• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Dark Souls 1 wont start for me. I haven't played it since I had that temporary beta version of the non-GFWL version or whatever. I verified the game integrity and it downloaded something, it changed the name of the game back to simply Prepare to Die edition like before, but it wont start.

Anybody know what's up?

Did you remove dsfix?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The evil within is really awesome. Why did this game got trashed by the reviews? Was it like Alien: isolation where the most reviewer where just to stupid for the game?

I wouldn't necessarily call them stupid. I feel like most people expected the game to be a pure survival horror experience, and the game turned out to be a third person action horror game instead. Some people probably didn't remove the letterboxing or use the FOV fix, both of which vastly improve the game, in my opinion. Others have probably only played the console version, which apparently runs like shit, controls like shit, and has a shit camera, making it a bit pants.

I wouldn't say that, graphics (or engine) aren't HL3's main selling points. I'd take a new HL done in Source 1.

Given that HL2 was sold on being cutting edge gfx and had those terrific tech demos alongside a huge ATI partnership it would be a bit of a letdown if HL3 wasn't setting Titan Xs on fire

Given that HL2 was sold on being cutting edge gfx and had those terrific tech demos alonside a huge ATI partnership it would be a bit of a letdown if HL3 wasn't setting Titan Xs on fire

That is what I am referring to. HL2 major selling point was its advanced graphics and it was the first game to introduce real-time game physics that led to non-scripted physics. And it had almost no rivals at that time. It would be a shame that HL3 and Source Engine 2 would end up looking sub-par compared to other games and engines (which I am afraid it will happen sadly). Plus, the atrocity is that the engine would stay for more than a decade just like Source Engine 1 with minimal or almost non existing upgardes. which would be really unacceptable seeing the speed of how hardware and gaming tech and engines evolve these days.

Some of us have been noticing that the cards drops have been pushed back, with the first card dropping around 2 hours. Jshackles mentioned this too.

And here I thought it was just bad luck when I wasn't getting any drops this morning while trying out some of my new games from the sale. Makes sense.

derExperte

Room 44888 > Level: 3.255.550, Expected Level: 38.721.058

I chose wisely.

Primal Carnage: Extinction unlocked but I guess we all already got sweet Alienware keys.

Knurek

I've always wondered how reviewers have shaped the game industry of today. Game reviewers seem to prefer simplistic mechanics and shallow games, which now make up the vast majority of the AAA market.

Was this perpetuated through the consumers? Or was it done artificially through terrible reviewer taste?

Focus testing on frat-boys, most likely.
And of course the industry's favorite - let's make all games like XXX, where XXX can be either CoD, Skyrim or whatever else seems to be the flavor of the year.

Ozium

is ground zeroes worth it?

dont have much left in my wallet and need to stretch for seal but dunno MGS man..

fuck it will just wait for it to be included in TPP lol

Maniac

Banned
Is DisplayFusion any good in this day and age? I don't really seem to have any problems managing my 2 monitors, toggling my input to my TV is slightly annoying but still not that bad.

I really like it. The wallpaper profile feature is really neat too. I'd say it's a great program, which is why I bought it about a year ago.
I know I'm incredibly late to the party, but

I really like State of Decay, even though it's pretty poorly constructed.

It's not the perfect zombie game, but it's the best zombie game I've played yet.

That's... More or less how I feel about the game aswell. There's a lot of individual stuff that's bad, but overall it's got the basics of everything I want in a zombie game. Too bad a lot of it is 'decent' at best. I'd love something in the vein of Dying Light or Dead Island (combat wise, mind) with the companion & shelter / hideout / base features of State of Decay just with more depth, complexity and polish. The game is certainly built on a lot of great concepts and ideas, but the execution is overall quite mediocre.

Ofcourse that didn't stop me from having an absolute blast with it.

pillarsofeternity_201mgse5.png
The first screenshot I take of PoE is already my wallpaper

Backlogger

Room 44888 > Level: 3.255.550, Expected Level: 38.721.058

I chose wisely.

Primal Carnage: Extinction unlocked but I guess we all already got sweet Alienware keys.

How do you choose a good room though? You kinda have to guess early on and hope your room keeps up. Is it complete luck? Or is there some way to ensure you get into a good room? The room I got into this morning was doing very well for about an hour then it really trailed off.

Sch1sm

How do you choose a good room though? You kinda have to guess early on and hope your room keeps up. Is it complete luck? Or is there some way to ensure you get into a good room? The room I got into this morning was doing very well for about an hour then it really trailed off.

With a js command in Chrome's console, using a room number fed to us by Reddit.

Hektor

I wouldn't necessarily call them stupid. I feel like most people expected the game to be a pure survival horror experience, and the game turned out to be a third person action horror game instead. Some people probably didn't remove the letterboxing or use the FOV fix, both of which vastly improve the game, in my opinion. Others have probably only played the console version, which apparently runs like shit, controls like shit, and has a shit camera, making it a bit pants.

Thats a good point, but i would be surprised if so many people cant overcome their initial expectations. I can remember many games that were at first disappointing to me but gave me a great time in the end.

I've always wondered how reviewers have shaped the game industry of today. Game reviewers seem to prefer simplistic mechanics and shallow games, which now make up the vast majority of the AAA market.

Was this perpetuated through the consumers? Or was it done artificially through terrible reviewer taste?

Maybe both? Developments like that usually dont have a single reason. That gaming nowadays is pretty mainstream with millions of potential customers has something to do with that too, i think. Aiming for the lowest common denominator in terms of complexity and challenge makes sense from a business standpoint.

derExperte

http://www.twitch.tv/wchill

They'll post rooms after the reset, try to get into one. Then I got lucky and saw them all changing to 44888 after 1m and managed to get into that. Which luckily turned out to have a high amount of script users and very few randoms.

With a js command in Chrome's console, using a room number fed to us by Reddit.

Or that.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

NG28

How is the community for Arma II DayZ Mod? I've been waiting for the standalone, but I am thinking about just finally picking up Arma II and playing the mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom