• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 II - Click the Monsters You Monster

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Man look at those Sumer Sale stats from Steam Spy:

• Games in this stats: 730
  • Average userscore: 83.26%
  • Average metascore: 77.06%
  • Total copies sold: 30,414,692
  • Total revenue: $222,101,564
  • Average price: $7.1
  • Average discount: 60.55%

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, but journalists usually need to give an objective opinion.
I know it's kinda impossible because taste exist and you can't really ignore that, but if you are a paid journalist you can't write such a thing, in my opinion.
not really, reviews are critiques and as such they're gonna inevitably be written from the specific point of view of the reviewer

you can't say objectively declare something is fun, but you can provide a lot of insight in why it's fun for you and all the people that identify themselves with you

so if that reviewer felt it was the best game of the generation, that's their right. it's a very dumb statement to make when there's like 10 games out but i guess it might be true just for that very reason

The_Monk

I was looking at the 2015 upcoming titles without even thinking about what's coming in 2016 and not only has this been an amazing year but through September-December there's so much good titles coming. I was doing my budget in Excel and realized how hard it is going to be making some selections among what's coming up.

I'm not going to mention all the different platforms but there's a fine selection of titles that I know I'm very interested in playing as soon as possible and others that will have to wait. Besides, there's always titles that have been released and I haven't picked up. I just hope people can focus on what's coming up and have great fun instead of going into console wars or Console VS PC nonsense. Sorry for the little off-topic, I just wanted to share how fine this hobby has been lately!

Arthea

that's pretty high for an average price. Could it mean that indies sell not so good this sale? they are usually cheaper ones and majority on steam.

Kifimbo

Only 730 games counted ? Why ?

Deitus

Keep in mind that Polygon is a 'progressive platform' now. Game of the generation for them must mean that it is the most inclusive while being least offensive.

If so, that's kind of surprising. Batman Citrus got major criticism from Kotaku for being misogynistic for using "bitch" for every third word (and to be fair, it was felt pretty ridiculous in that game).

It is me or dowloads are a bit weird (even not during new sales hours): mine one goes up and down and does not seem to stabilize. Wondering if i am the only one.

PS: EU

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Reviews are opinions. Every single review in history is subjective. There's no damn things as an objective opinion on this, sorry.

Consumer Reports does objective reviews.

I give objective reviews, too.

For example, Garshasp is objectively better than other games in its category, like God of War.

There's a balance between what you like, what the game presents to you, and what is done poorly. In this case, the common opinion is that there are too many sections with Batmobile, and they can be boring after a while. If multiple sources stated this, well, it's a fact. This doesn't mean the game is crappy, but that's good with some issues.

But then there's also the question of whether a reviewer is qualified to review a product and whether they even know if they are qualified to review a product. Getting a plurality of opinion gives you a good idea and it's why sites like Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic exist, but it isn't the end-all-be-all and it isn't anything even approaching objectivity.

Like, take cilantro for example. There is a certain portion of the population that is genetically disposed to having cilantro taste like dead grass. They aren't qualified to review cilantro, but how would they know?

Oh look there's the discussion about objective reviews again, I guess a highly anticipated AAA game is coming out!
Of course, you also need to consider this, you can't give PES to review to a people hating soccer games.

Yes you absolutely can and should. That would make reviews much more interesting.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Of course, you also need to consider this, you can't give PES to review to a people hating soccer games.

But how do I know if I'm qualified? What makes me qualified? How do I know if the plurality is qualified?

Then you have the exact opposite, where qualified reviewers become more biased towards a product. If you look at an average performing adventure game on Metacritic, for example, you'll see that enthusiast websites devoted to point-and-clicks are much, much more forgiving and are generally at the top of the pile.

what the fuck is cilantro

Fine, coriander, you damn Frenchie-or-whatever.

If you haven't been playing with scripts for the last few days your chances of getting that badge are pretty slim. You might get lucky and get in with a group that eventually "beats" the game, but if enough people are in that room aren't running scripts 24 hours straight and have a sufficient quantity of wormholes then your team isn't likely to make it to room 100,000,001 in a day. There are only 1,500 people allowed in each room and to make it to the end nearly everyone's gotta pull their weight.

oh... well ill just see how lucky i get today, ain't gonna stress over that

Arthea

Thanks everybody who took part for that game and those so needed WHs for today, I probably not gonna make it, but no harm in trying.

Also the new game starts right away?

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm not sure if this was there before, but what a hilariously unceremonious way to end the game haha

YyrqPOl.png

MUnited83

For you.
Yes, there is. You can explain, in example, why something works and something doesn't.
As I wrote, is almost impossible to give an objective opition, but the reviewer need at least to try and give the best opinion is possible on what he's reviewing.
There's a balance between what you like, what the game presents to you, and what is done poorly. In this case, the common opinion is that there are too many sections with Batmobile, and they can be boring after a while. If multiple sources stated this, well, it's a fact. This doesn't mean the game is crappy, but that's good with some issues.

While stating something like "it's the best game ever", it's just an absolutism.

Critique is based on facts, to do good critique you need the proper tools, otherwise all people can be reviewer.

Nope. Unless they explitcly say" This is by fact the best game ever made in the world", no, it isn't a absolutism. It's "the best game ever made in our opinion", which is very different.

And actually, everyone can be a reviewer. It's just opinions. You should never, ever use game site reviews to decide purchases anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom