• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

gah... first day at the gym and i can't feel my arms... just gonna get my fat ass home and play some video games. :(

image.php

Miguel81

Windows 10 exclusive and pricing is unfortunate. Maybe knock off Chinese versions will pop up at a lower the price as well as someone removing the OS restriction, eventually.

The PS4 controller is a mess quality-wise though. Stick rubber issue (might be better on newer controllers), shoulder buttons getting stuck or outright snapping off. That's all on top of the horrific battery life. I also like single piece dpads and never really found the segmented one on any of the Dualshock controllers comfortable.

Really intrigued to see how the Steam controller performs before I plop down cash for an Xbox One/adapter combo. The DS4 has given me a lot of trouble.

Welcome back, lashman! :D

Kiru

weirdly enough on Nuuvem. it says release date is today..?
It was. They updated the announcement today:
UPDATE: We're taking a few more days for some last-minute polish in order to give you all an even better Day One experience. Alone in the Dark: Illumination will be releasing on Steam THIS WEEK! Stay tuned for final timing on launch.

Codes work worldwide and if the user's account uses a different currency, the value is converted as part of the code redemption process.

Also, a small tip: you can save yourself a small amount of time by redeeming Steam Wallet codes as CD keys instead (Games -> Activate a product on Steam).
Oh I had no clue Steam wallet codes work overregional. Always added funds via PayPal till now. I should find a place to check out steam codes to buy via paypal.

image.php

back when i was young and single and had time to spare I would do jumping jacks while i waited for 3rd Strike HD to find a match. Lots of jumping jacks were had back then.
back when i was in middle school I'd also do jumping jacks but it was just to get the body moving cause my mom was really over protective and would rarely ever let me go out so I'd do em just so my body wouldn't get stiff. I wish that i kept doing them once I got into the 8th grade >_>
well it better! i could barely muster up the strength to hold the over the head rail in the train! :p

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Luminosity -- MB-FB0199D9E230A6C4 - Taken by Loptous
Schein -- MB-2B123AF128D747FF - Taken by Vlad
Fine Sweeper -- MB-FA1517BEB4246207 - Taken by FiveElementNinja
Lilly and Sasha: Nexus of Souls -- MB-41134AEC8BC7580F - Taken by Kurt Russell
Chaos Ride -- MB-CEFE8449CA3A9EE3 - Taken by Deques
They should all work. I hope. Sorry if a code was already used.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
THE LASHMAN COMETH <3

lashy you are back ! missed you <3

Welcome back.

Lash is back with a post that does have a context!

You're back! :D

Nice! And welcome back.

Also good to see you here buddy

Welcome back, lashman! :D

hi

Tizoc

I don't know if it's been fixed yet (or will be), but the version you get on Humble only gives the Steam key for the base game. The DLC is DRM-free. It doesn't sound like they intended to give you the DLC on Steam as well.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/358090/discussions/0/615086038672440727/#c615086038681290732

Ach that would mean I need to dl the drm-free one right?
Had I known that I would've just dled the DRM-free version and made a giveaway of my Key XD.
Ah well I'll get to dling it tomorrow then =3

GOG has everything good on sale. Embrace the future, SteamGAF. There's also a free game on the main page, just log in, click the button on GOG's homepage, and its yours.
A lot of prominent games run like shit on Unity. We're not talking about like, Baby's First Game dev studios. If your game is halfway ambitious (Dreamfall, Pillars) it's probably got a lot of Unity related jank to it.

The only Unity games I see performing well tend to be side scrollers.

Can't help but agree. All of the Unity RPGs I can think of have relatively poor production values. I've come to understand that Unity-based RPGs = massivehuge filesize, poor performance, and muddy visuals (for 3D stuff; PoE avoids this a bit using 2D backgrounds.)

Lower budget stuff like Expeditions: Conquistador I could understand being shakey from a technical standpoint, but Wasteland 2 and PoE had very little excuses to justify some of their technical issues, namely performance and filesize.

Ach that would mean I need to dl the drm-free one right?
Had I known that I would've just dled the DRM-free version and made a giveaway of my Key XD.
Ah well I'll get to dling it tomorrow then =3

If you want to use that DLC content you got, then you'll need to play the DRM-free version, yeah. The Steam key you have will only be for the base game. That's how I understood it anyway.

Tizoc

If you want to use that DLC content you got, then you'll need to play the DRM-free version, yeah. The Steam key you have will only be for the base game. That's how I understood it anyway.

That's fine, the DLC is mostly cosmetic right? I can always play the Steam ver., beat it, delete it then re-install the DRM-free ver.
OR maybe I can transfer the DRM-free files into the Steam folder and it might recognize the DLC as if I have them?

AHA-Lambda

Phew, gave my wishlist a bit of a cull before the sale starts =/

Now watch as the backlog grows bigger =/

And I still need to get to playing Bloodborne >_<

That's fine, the DLC is mostly cosmetic right? I can always play the Steam ver., beat it, delete it then re-install the DRM-free ver.
OR maybe I can transfer the DRM-free files into the Steam folder and it might recognize the DLC as if I have them?

Yeah, I think the DLC is just costumes. I don't know if you can transfer the files from one to the other. I've never tried that before.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stump, do you by any chance know what is going to happen to Desura? I have something like 650 games there, it would be nice if it just didn't disappear into thin air one day.

Absolutely no idea. I can't imagine anyone will buy it based on the fact that it's already been bought twice and clearly hasn't worked out for either owner. My impression is that there's very little business potential. And the bankruptcy is a liquidation bankruptcy, not bankruptcy protection, so it's not like I would expect it to emerge from this. As to when it dies and how long they can keep the servers on, I have no idea. I'd start approaching individual devs to see what their fall-back plans are and if they'd be nice enough to give you a replacement key :/

The only way Desura will survive (irrespective of its owner) is if its perception is changed from that of the "middle ground" between DRM-free and Steam/a virtual lockbox for anyone waiting for a Steam version of the game to something that's worth viewer interest. There's virtually no incentive to go to the site besides the aforementioned Steam key delivery - there's no real connection to your friends list, the blogs are dead, it's had a reputation (since its very inception) as being a home for shovelware and the Collection page is especially unwieldy and hard to parse through.

Arthea

Absolutely no idea. I can't imagine anyone will buy it based on the fact that it's already been bought twice and clearly hasn't worked out for either owner. My impression is that there's very little business potential. And the bankruptcy is a liquidation bankruptcy, not bankruptcy protection, so it's not like I would expect it to emerge from this. As to when it dies and how long they can keep the servers on, I have no idea. I'd start approaching individual devs to see what their fall-back plans are and if they'd be nice enough to give you a replacement key :/

yeah, I was afraid that's the case. So basically you think that servers can be shut down any day now? Or we will have some sort of announcement before all thing goes under?

(nobody reads my posts)

who are you again?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That feeling when a foil card you've had on the market for weeks finally sells for $9

moKU9In.gif

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Reading this great article on Kotaku about E3 demos, stuff like this always bums me out.

On Bioshock Infinite said:
When E3 was over, Irrational tried to get the demo running on consoles. Until then, most development had taken place on high-end PCs that could handle everything being dreamed up. The final game, however, had to ship on the rapidly aging PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

&#8220;Due to memory constraints, it was like&#8230;uh oh,&#8221; laughed Elliott. &#8220;This is not going to happen.&#8221;

It would be so interesting to see a game like this that wasn't compromised by the machine it was built on.

Edit:
One big change for BioShock Infinite was the amount of enemies on-screen at once. In the demo, there could be 16 characters running around, whereas the final game was restricted to six. That was a huge change, one whose ripple effect ran deeper than shifting polygon count.

&#8220;One necessary repercussion of that was so many enemies became much more sponge-y,&#8221; he said. &#8220;If you&#8217;ve got 16 guys, you can have them all die with a single hit.&#8221;

ughhhh

I played through Momodora III today (3,99&#8364;/$).
Thanks for the impressions. The character-select screen reminds me of umihara kawase. Think since it's pretty zoomed out it looks less pixelated and looks like UK. UK is a real great game. The physics, the music. So darn charming. Shame it became a handheld-only genre.
GOG has everything good on sale. Embrace the future, SteamGAF. There's also a free game on the main page, just log in, click the button on GOG's homepage, and its yours.
I think during their last sales GOG gave away Alan Wake American Nightmare, Torchlight, Magrunner, Omerta, Mount & Blade, Stalker Clear Sky.

Pretty awesome stuff.
rsw4uKY.png

So, did you just sent him an email with a link to your Steam-Profile?

Shadownet

Banned
So I post this question a couple of days ago. Does anyone know how to fix this?

In order to run Steam properly on this version of Windows, the Steam service component must be installed. The service installation process requires administrator privileges.

[Install Service] [Cancel]

It keep popping up whenever I try to launch Steam, Clicking on Install Service would just freezes it. Press Cancel would launch Steam normally..

C-Drive

Anybody think Freedom Planet will be cheaper during the sale or should I grab it from GOG for $4.99? According to the historical charts it's only ever gotten %50 off on Steam ($7.49) at the beginning of the year.

Current Lowest Price: $5.99 at GOG (Info)
Historical Lowest Price: $4.89 at GOG on Sun Mar 08 2015 (Info)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom