• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

user237

So hey.

What do you guys look for in Early Access games, and/or what would influence you to purchase an early access game?
Price?
Polish?

Genre/playstyle - should be something that is intended to be replayed many times, or that can be played continuously as new content is added. So exploration games, city builders, crafting games would be good. Story based games wouldn't be that interesting to me as early access.

AHA-Lambda

I've played more than 2 hours of the newest Sherlock Holmes game that was on sale very recently, can I still refund it to get it for cheaper now?

I've been waiting for Dreamfall to have a bigger discount for years.

It's upsetting.

Steam tax >_>

Seriously that game has been cheap as chips on gog so many times compared to Steam it's criminal.

I've played more than 2 hours of the newest Sherlock Holmes game that was on sale very recently, can I still refund it to get it for cheaper now?

Steam tax >_>

Seriously that game has been cheap as chips on gog so many times compared to Steam it's criminal.

I don't know, if you want to know definitively just try it. I've heard stories of them being lenient and stories stating the opposite. It's probably a matter of how far you went over the limit. I can tell you however that they will not refund games you bought in 2012 & 2013 because I tried (hadn't played them, they're cheaper now figured I'd give it a try). Quickest turnaround time of any steam support issue too, they replied within 3 hours after I requested the refund.

Cth

Hmm...Cth won my birthday giveaway...

And he has 100% Orange Juice as his #1 game on his wishlist. I don't know if I should just gift him that lol

Thanks Toki! Thanks for not going with the #1 game since I had arranged my wishlist alphabetically that way (before they added the option!)

I thought about going with Broforce (will pick it up if it's on sale), or Koi Koi, but ultimately went with X-Wing vs Tie Fighter..

And so, now I pay it forward.. 24 hr giveaway.

steam-wallet-india-10.jpg

ModBot said:
Giveaway Details:
I chose a $10 game, so the winner of this giveaway can choose a single $10 game, or multiple games adding up to $10 (2 - $5 games, etc). It can be through Steam, but if you have your eye on something elsewhere (Amazon, GoG, GMG, etc) let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

$10 Game Of Your Choice -- MB-EC4C6AF037A2D5BA - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 127 entrants total.

t1434328854z1.png

Maniac

Banned
In a weird way I kind of care less about the main plot in Witcher 3 than all the other smaller, self contained stories. Like say, the whole Bloody Baron questline.
To be fair, the Bloody Baron questline is a little RPG in and of itself. Definitely one of the highlights of the entire genre, imo.
You are the course of Geralt's actions. You can choose whether you want to do it or not.

Then again, If I had a vasectomy that ensures no consequences, I'd probably be going down on any girl that so much as blinks at me. None of this condom bullshit.

I mean... You would still carry the diseases, you'd just not be affected...

Buuuut that's aight, not like you'll end up carrying around the AIDS

... Right?

iosefe

Thanks Toki! Thanks for not going with the #1 game since I had arranged my wishlist alphabetically that way (before they added the option!)

I thought about going with Broforce (will pick it up if it's on sale), or Koi Koi, but ultimately went with X-Wing vs Tie Fighter..

a very respectable choice i think

(broforce is currently the sale)

Cth

It's always good karma to pay it forward, especially during Summer Sales :D

And besides, I just got a new job (still not full time yet) and wanted to celebrate!

Noted.

Waifus. /jk Edit: Damn it, rctn63 beat me.

Price would definitely be a major influence. Expecting polish out of an early access game seems a little unrealistic to me. It also needs to be the kind of game that interests me. As for Polish if I wanted that I'd just play the Witcher. ;)

cheap, in a near finished state (even if it's buggy)

but probably nothing tbh

How much content is currently available and how far away the "finished" version is. If it's just a month or two then I'll wait until it's out of Early Access. If it's six months or more then I'll happily play the Early Access version.

Thanks, FellowGAF.

Early Access is not the ideal situation, but it would help soften the blow of not having a few pieces of content right now that, while they would increase enjoyment of the game 100%, are not crucial to the game running and being complete.

Also hit a pretty annoying bug that just popped up. Something that is(looks) fairly easy to fix, but it's something that needs to be fixed ASAP.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I am just fascinated that this exists.

This is an example where Early Access or not, neither price nor polishing can make it enticing.

Jawmuncher

You know I gotta say a lot of times I feel bad for some indie devs. The game can look like complete shit and be complete shit. But in that creators mind they might have done the best they could with the tools they had. Hard to tell but that always bugs me when I see certain stuff on steam and no one has played it or bought it just as a +1. Since to me I would have to take that step back and truly see the product I had made and realize what it was. Which if I realized it was bad, I wouldn't release.

All in all I don't know if I should feel bad for some devs, or if they get what they deserve.

There are my unfiltered and sporadic thoughts for the day.

zkylon

zkylewd
You know I gotta say a lot of times I feel bad for some indie devs. The game can look like complete shit and be complete shit. But in that creators mind they might have done the best they could with the tools they had. Hard to tell but that always bugs me when I see certain stuff on steam and no one has played it or bought it just as a +1. Since to me I would have to take that step back and truly see the product I had made and realize what it was. Which if I realized it was bad, I wouldn't release.

All in all I don't know if I should feel bad for some devs, or if they get what they deserve.

i duno, depends on the game but in most cases that pop up it's hard to imagine any of these "devs" actually giving a shit for the things they do

MUnited83

For you.

This is an example where Early Access or not, neither price nor polishing can make it enticing.

reminds me that I need to buy the DIG bundle that includes that before it's over.

Which btw, if anyone is interested, we can get a two pack of the bundle and split the costs(0.75$ for the whole bundle)

New kind of adventure
Larva Mortus
Naval Warfare
Platypus 2
Power Up
NPPD Rush

lol'd at the mostly positive reviews

thats why you invite a friend over or tell someone you trust who won't just leak your game for free on the web and tell em to try the game and to be brutally honest.

What Milo could have been

Servers not working for anybody else? getting errors, can't check my inventory or any stuff from my profile.

Kuroyume

Banned
I went on the page, mind telling me what is especially wrong with it?

It's a pretty crummy looking game. Watch Jim Sterling's playthrough: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGxo6y_fGZQ

This comment caught my eye:
This is actually a demo that's available on Kongregate, Newgrounds for free as a Unity Web game, but being sold for money on Steam. Also after playing the flute to all 5 flowers, the camera flys away, and tell you THANKS FOR PLAYING and to visit the Facebook page, and ultimately stops you from playing completely.

Don't have unity installed though: http://www.kongregate.com/games/AlexG270/new-kind-of-adventure?acomplete=new+kind+of

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
If ModBot wants another mystery image.

untitled-2hkum3.jpg

No

The Sterling video really explains it all. It's just not something that should be sold. Rather, it reminds me of the type of software a class would make at a Game Design course just to get people used to the steps in making a game as followed by an unimaginative step-by-step guide.

iosefe

untitled-2hkum3.jpg

The Sterling video really explains it all. It's just not something that should be sold. Rather, it reminds me of the type of software a class would make at a Game Design course just to get people used to the steps in making a game as followed by an unimaginative step-by-step guide.

NO

untitled-2hkum3.jpg

NO!

Jawmuncher

untitled-2hkum3.jpg

Yes.

untitled-2hkum3.jpg

No

Ok

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Chairmanchuck, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Quest Run -- MB-6908EED346137627

Seems I already had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom