• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2015 - Wait for the Steam Sale Thread You Bastards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
ue4fBDX.png

Doesn't automatically mean there won't be a HD collection. But on the other hand, I'm not sure if the game holds up well for "just a port".

shenmue1 vo is hilariously broken

they should probably fix that?

Tizoc

ue4fBDX.png

Doesn't automatically mean there won't be a HD collection. But on the other hand, I'm not sure if the game holds up well for "just a port".

Exactly my thoughts.

Yo dante! Been some time seeing you.

Yakuza games did that. I personally avoided watching the ones for 1 and 2 :p

Shadownet

Banned
It has been an E3 with quite a few obvious gaming highlights, but this bloke's presentation of his charming little creation is my favourite moment so far. Would love to see Unravel do well for this chap and his team.
I agree, it was probably the most charming moment in E3 history.

If you never seen what a proud parent is when showing off his offspring. That was basically it. I swear I thought he was going to breakdown in tears of joy. Can't wait for this game.

MUnited83

For you.
ue4fBDX.png

Exactly my thoughts.

Yo dante! Been some time seeing you.

The Kickstarter and the Shenmue will have nothing to do with the HD collection directly. That's SEGA. Which already had a HD collection ready so now they just need to touch it up a little and release it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3?ref=nav_search

Are there plans for the HD versions of Shenmue 1 & 2?

The property rights for Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 belong to SEGA, so we are not in a position to comment on that.

Sega should allow the remastered
but Shenmue 2 was Xbox exclusive , so its up to Microsoft ?

Not Sega "should allow". But Sega "should release" instead.
And no, it's not up to Microsoft in any way. It's SEGA IP through and through. MS has zero say on it.

Saw Jurassic World today.

It was actually good, if you can overlook some of the silly/dumb scenes and events, it's even better. It also had better horror than recent horror movies. Final fight was awesome.
Loved the T-rex and rapter combo. Indominus-rekt

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MORNINGGG!! :) today will be a great day guys, ESO will become a daily (BELIEVE!!) AND its nintendo's turn to show what they got at E3, consider me hyped!

gotta love e3 season, its magical.

ViviOggi

Everyone should watch the short creator's presentation on the E3 press conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvazMS76FS4

The MOST genuine guy I've seen in a long time. It literally gave me goosebumps and nearly teared me up.

Also check the great comments on the same presentation at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_lxnSsqAA0

Faith in the gaming community: partially restored.
Faith in game devs who make games out of pure goodwill: restored.

Yeah that guy was amazing

Him next E3 after a year of working for EA:

MUnited83

For you.
Why do I get the feeling that I've seen this kind of thing before?
Ah right, it's a must have feature for most F2P mmorpg out there right now, pay for beta access. And now it's also coming for full retail games? Sigh. Why won't people stop supporting this kind of practice.

? Betas as a preorder bonuses have been being a thing for like almost a decade now.

Maniac

Banned
Horizon is the game practically made for Jawmuncher.
Shenmue! SHENMUE! How can you not know what it it? :/

Also, love the Ys Net bit haha.

Meh. Horizon looks cool, but Guerilla can't pull off great gameplay to save their lives, so it does nothing for me.

And ofcourse there's the issue of PS exclusivity and that does little else than annoy the shit out of me.

Never actually played nor taken a glance at Shenmoo, but I've heard a ton of GAFers lose their shit over Shenmew, but that's all the experience I have with it.
A spicy Asian dish.

Sounds... Err, a tad dull, really.
Thank you Maniac for making a game I could join and finally get the card!

Me?

I'm not assuming it's me since I've been in this current game for 21 hours. But coo'

Everyone's hyped for E3 and I'm just here playing hidden object games *spidermanatadesk.jpg*. So here are some impressions for the bundle-riffic Time Mysteries: Inheritance - Remastered:

The story: You play Vivien Ambrose, (female protagonists with names? In MY Artifex Mundi game? It's more likely than you think) member of a family blessed with very long life, as well as a set of rings that allow time travel. Your father is about to pass the legacy on to you (only he calls it an inheritance despite the fact he's still alive) when the rings are stolen and your father is kidnapped by a cybersteampunk type guy. You somehow make your way to the Museum of Time to start collecting the rest of the rings before they were stolen, and find a way to rescue your father and stop Goggles McTubesfornoreason.

Now, I don't play hidden object games for the story, and I certainly don't expect anything on par with Tolstoy, but the story is both thin and contains huge plot holes that would make a Silver Age Marvel writer slap his forehead. The ending doesn't make a whole lot of sense. These developers did a lot better going forward, so it's possible they learned from their mistakes on this one.

The dialogue and voices: It should be noted that the remastered version contains fully-voiced dialogue, so I'd better comment on it. Even remastered, there were a few glaring typos (your father didn't have a magical residence, but rather a "magicianal" one, for instance) but luckily the voice didn't read them as written. Most of the voices were good. The only exception would be the antagonist, who sounds like he was a text-to-speech program. Combined with the talking animation (more on THAT later,) it's unintentionally disturbing.

The puzzles: This game contains not one, but two puzzles where you have to slide the blocks of various sizes into certain positions. That's pretty much all you need to know about the puzzles. The hidden object scenes were hit and miss (see graphics section below) but I found it amusing that near the end, you had to return to your own time, and the museum hidden object scene required you to find "21st century objects" - like a record, a boombox and a "puzzle cube" (read: Rubik's cube.) Sorry, developers, the 1980s are not the 21st century.

The graphics: Holy hell. Never thought I'd say this about an Artifex Mundi game, but the graphics were terrible. Some of the remastered hidden object scenes looked good, and others suddenly made the needed objects glaringly obvious because they seemed to be a different resolution than the background. The cutscenes contained talking animations that appeared to be just distortions of the character's head model. Instead of making an entirely new picture for a different mouth movement, it looked like they took the one picture they had and dragged a few vertices on the lips around until it was close enough. It's jarring to watch, to say the least, and I'm almost tempted to say buy the game for the sole reason that it has to be seen to be believed. But I wouldn't subject you to that.

The most important note of all: The main character looks nothing like the updated image in the Steam icon. If you were expecting to see cute, peppy, firehaired, almost-anime Vivien, you're in for a huge disappointment. You'll get a more mature, no-nonsense, more naturally redheaded Vivien (which is still fine, don't get me wrong, but that icon is misleading.)

The music: was quite good. They tried to change up the style of music to suit the century you were in. It was a good effort. Sometimes it was noticeable enough to distract you from solving a puzzle, but maybe that was just me.

The length: My profile says 2.9 hours but it's more like 2.5 since I kept it on to do stuff for a bit. And I was playing on expert mode. It's easy and it's relatively short.

The verdict: I hate to do this to Artifex Mundi, but give this one a pass. Their later games are so much better, and I strongly recommend those. This one isn't just a bad A.M. game, it's a bad game even by hidden object standards. It's not worthwhile.

beta don't even mean beta anymore, its just another name for a demo.
If HL3 was announced today, do you think the internet will buckle like it did for Shenmue?

i honestly thought we'd see HL3 before the last guardian, mainly because I was a firm believer that TLG was cancelled even though sony always kept saying it was still real.

Yup, its nowadays only called beta because that sounds more exclusive and therefore more valuable.

yea, if they'd at least take the criticism about their "betas" and improved it at the very least I'd still consider it a beta since rarely do devs listen to feedback from a demo but rarely do they ever. look at ESO, a lot of the issues people had with the beta weren't addressed till the re release

Dsyndrome

Turned on the computer for the first time in two weeks to be inundated with Steam updates and inventory stuff from buying stuff via mobile in Europe. Glad to see I won't have to try hard for the sale badge.

And man there's some vitriol for people between the GT and GB reactions for Sony. Watched the GB portions of the Big 3 reveals this morning and they didn't seem full of hate or anything, just not the sheer joy and happiness of GT.

i honestly thought we'd see HL3 before the last guardian, mainly because I was a firm believer that TLG was cancelled even though sony always kept saying it was still real.

Is there a precedent for that? People outright denying cancelled games? I'd be more inclined to believe HL3 was cancelled since they're not denying it but rather refusing to speak about it altogether.

Is there a precedent for that? People outright denying cancelled games? I'd be more inclined to believe HL3 was cancelled since they're not denying it but rather refusing to speak about it altogether.

well i can't speak for anyone else but i thought it was cancelled cause it had one trailer back when like the ps3 was announced and then that was it. thats all we ever got of it until last night. now I never cared for the game nor i don't do i know why anyone else cared so much cause like i said, it only had one trailer but so much time passed that I doubted that game ever even existed in a playable state. I didn't expect either game to ever be made, but gun to my head, i had to pick one, I would have said HL3, even though valve doesn't make games anymore.

Afro

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
1. I just dont want it to interfere with mah Kingdom Hearts 3

3. you should play them and yes they should port them to steam or something
Preach. Nomura needs to concentrate his ass on KH3 before working on VIIR or XIII Vs. Man needs a protegé.

I think Square has the potential and momentum to have the best con yet with Tomb raider, Hitman, and life is strange covering nontraditional Squeenix games. (Are they pubing Just Cause 3 too?)
And traditional Squeenix being covered by FFXIII Versus, World of Final Fantasy, FFVIIR, and Kingdom Hearts 3 in their future.

Honestly I'm curious about what they can possibly announce in addition to covering a handful of the above in one conference.

Edit: And of course the traditional titles are the ones that aren't confirmed for pc ;-;

ExoSoul

Banned
Well, you specifically talked about "and ON PC" announcements. Win 10 exclusives were markedly said as so. So I don't understand the speculation of what is Win 10 exclusive or not...

More like it makes sense for Microsoft to push the platform but for other that don't have that need/desire I wonder how many of those will be on Win 10 exclusively but are announced simply as on PC.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Goodmorning GAF.

I was so excited about the eventual Final Fantasy VII remake last night that I could hardly sleep. It's going to be a long wait.

I was thinking back how last year I made a post called Square Enix: Where is our Final Fantasy VII remake? and got a chuckle thinking that maybe that was written about the time that they pulled together a team to start working on the game. Hell, maybe someone at SE even read my argument and thought to themselves "yeah, we're leaving money on the table." Or maybe it was a huge coincidence.

I encountered quite a bit of negativity for that post - everything from "It's never going to happen, let it go" to "I wish people would stop bitching about a remake of this game". I never lost faith though, and here we are.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Goodmorning GAF.

I was so excited about the eventual Final Fantasy VII remake last night that I could hardly sleep. It's going to be a long wait.

I was thinking back how last year I made a post called Square Enix: Where is our Final Fantasy VII remake? and got a chuckle thinking that maybe that was written about the time that they pulled together a team to start working on the game. Hell, maybe someone at SE even read my argument and thought to themselves "yeah, we're leaving money on the table." Or maybe it was a huge coincidence.

I encountered quite a bit of negativity for that post - everything from "It's never going to happen, let it go" to "I wish people would stop bitching about a remake of this game". I never lost faith though, and here we are.

All you have to do is believe, add a little dash of Grief.exe magic, and anything is possible.

pahamrick

Goodmorning GAF.

I never commented on that thread, but I really liked that post. FF VII was the game that really got me into RPGS, especially JRPGS. I'd played Super Mario RPG prior but it didn't get the RPG hook into me, I only played it because it was Mario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom