• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | June 2017 - MASH ALL THE BUTTONS 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

Don't think I will be able to craft this one. I don't buy anything anymore and I can't craft.

It be nice, best way to do it? I may only buy one thing though =/

oipic

Speaking of the good old days, doesn't this bring on warm fuzzy feelings of yesteryear?

1321913487205191822.png

Not expecting another clicker game this year, but something that similarly prompts the community to band together as one to collectively unlock a badge or something would be nice. Yes, I'm a sucker for gamification, I suppose.

I still have the Tampermonkey scripts installed for the clicker game, strangely - can't bring myself to remove them? Good times, happy memories, etc.

Pixieking

Banned
Don't think I will be able to craft this one. I don't buy anything anymore and I can't craft.

It be nice, best way to do it? I may only buy one thing though =/

If you only want to craft it once, just to have the badge on your profile, the easiest way is probably just buy the cards and craft it. They're currently about 10c (8p in the UK) each, so for $1/80p, you've got the badge. Only downside is that you need Wallet Funds to buy on the market - but if you might buy a game too, you could always go for a cheap Wallet code from CDKeys or someplace.

The other cheap alternative is, there'll probably be cards for going through your Discovery Queue like last sale, so just work your way through that - chances are you can get all 10 different cards through the 2 weeks of the sale. :)

Denuvo has been removed from HITMAN

Does it still have the always online requirement, or did they get rid of that awhile ago?

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Similarly, I also expect Stars of Blood to be revived as Source 2 game once the engine is all there as an "open-galaxy" space pirate game would offer a practically endless canvas for new content and lend itself very well to microtransactions. It could be Valve's answer to Destiny.

Yes! I've had this theory for a while. SoB makes so much sense now, much more than it did back when Birdwell was working on it alone in a broom closet in the basement.

xPaw

SteamDB developer and generally a pretty crafty guy.
Speaking of the good old days, doesn't this bring on warm fuzzy feelings of yesteryear?

Not expecting another clicker game this year, but something that similarly prompts the community to band together as one to collectively unlock a badge or something would be nice. Yes, I'm a sucker for gamification, I suppose.

I still have the Tampermonkey scripts installed for the clicker game, strangely - can't bring myself to remove them? Good times, happy memories, etc.

There's basically a complete clone of this minigame.

Pixieking

Banned
Not entirely but there is an "offline mode" after you sync it.

Ohhhh, cool. I may actually try and play it now. We've had the worst internet for the past few months, so haven't even wanted to boot it up.

It has a online requirement for unlocking equipment, but after unlocking it you can use it on offline mode. The game never had a full "always online requirement", just a gimped offline mode.

Ahhh, fair fair.

MUnited83

For you.
If you only want to craft it once, just to have the badge on your profile, the easiest way is probably just buy the cards and craft it. They're currently about 10c (8p in the UK) each, so for $1/80p, you've got the badge. Only downside is that you need Wallet Funds to buy on the market - but if you might buy a game too, you could always go for a cheap Wallet code from CDKeys or someplace.

The other cheap alternative is, there'll probably be cards for going through your Discovery Queue like last sale, so just work your way through that - chances are you can get all 10 different cards through the 2 weeks of the sale. :)

Does it still have the always online requirement, or did they get rid of that awhile ago?
It has a online requirement for unlocking equipment, but after unlocking it you can use it on offline mode. The game never had a full "always online requirement", just a gimped offline mode.

Ascheroth

1321913487205191822.png

Fun times. Still have the level 100.000.000 badge on my profile.

The cockroach of video games.
Skyrim is what square enix wish happened with lightning.

That's always been there for what's definitely the most hidden covenant in the franchise.
I havent seen this covenant yet but more hidden than the dragon one in dark souls 1!? Cause idk man i played that game 3 times and if it wasnt for youtube i would have never found it or even known about it. Its hidden behind two fake walls yo.

It is weird how a lot of games have been cheaper in the past but then every sale they never go that low. For example, Fable Anniversary says lowest ever STEAM price owas $5.80 but there is no chance it will ever go that low again.

Hektor

Skyrim is what square enix wish happened with lightning.

I havent seen this covenant yet but more hidden than the dragon one in dark souls 1!? Cause idk man i played that game 3 times and if it wasnt for youtube i would have never found it or even known about it. Its hidden behind two fake walls yo.

You literally need to play Dark Souls as a stealth game that moment levels of hidden

Endruen

I discovered it because of the messages on my first playthrough.

Pixieking

Banned
It is weird how a lot of games have been cheaper in the past but then every sale they never go that low. For example, Fable Anniversary says lowest ever STEAM price owas $5.80 but there is no chance it will ever go that low again.

It's really not weird when you look at it in the wider sense of the PC market. When PC was an afterthought - even 5 years ago - the race-to-the-bottom was harder, because pubs/devs perceived PC as poor and with no long-term value, alongside a perceived high piracy rate. The growth of Steam helped (almost single handedly drove, actually) the idea that PC gamers had money, and would gladly buy games. Lots of games. So now you have devs/pubs wanting to squeeze as much money as possible out of consumers... because why would you drive prices down, when you're fully aware that the market has money, and willingly spends it.

On the flip-side, this growth means games that would never have been dreamed of on the PC a few years ago (something like Nier, whose last installment was only a console generation ago) are now hitting the platform.

It's really not weird when you look at it in the wider sense of the PC market. When PC was an afterthought - even 5 years ago - the race-to-the-bottom was harder, because pubs/devs perceived PC as poor and with no long-term value, alongside a perceived high piracy rate. The growth of Steam helped (almost single handedly drove, actually) the idea that PC gamers had money, and would gladly buy games. Lots of games. So now you have devs/pubs wanting to squeeze as much money as possible out of consumers, because why would you drive prices down, when you're fully aware that the market has money, and willingly spends it.

This is very true. Its just sad (as a consumer) that games that used to get lets say 75% or 80% discount now get 50% discount. Although this could also have something to do with no daily/flash deals and refunds.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love Enhanced Steam. I'm checking my card listings for any prices that are too high, and ES shows the lowest selling price for each card. So much easier!

It still surprises me that a lot of this stuff hasn't been implemented by Valve yet. I'm happy that they take a piece here and a piece there (since then everyone gets to use those features) and I totally understand that things like price comparisons won't ever be a thing without an addon, but basic stuff like showing you which market listings aren't the lowest or letting you relist market items from the same screen or the ability to remove stuff from your wishlist from the store page - well honestly it's just a bit silly at this point.

giphy.gif

It still surprises me that a lot of this stuff hasn't been implemented by Valve yet. I'm happy that they take a piece here and a piece there (since then everyone gets to use those features) and I totally understand that things like price comparisons won't ever be a thing without an addon, but basic stuff like showing you which market listings aren't the lowest or letting you relist market items from the same screen or the ability to remove stuff from your wishlist from the store page - well honestly it's just a bit silly at this point.

Have you thought about implementing some of the auto sell or autocomplete badges that steam inventory manager does? I use Enhanced steam but just remembered this week how horrible the inventory/badge/selling system is on Steam. Steam Inventory Manager in conjunction with Enhanced steam has helped a lot.

Fingers crossed that we get a cool metagame.

I miss the one summer where there were achievements for playing set games with in-game rewards.

I miss the Amazon Tony days where we'd get killer competing sales, too.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Have you thought about implementing some of the auto sell or autocomplete badges that steam inventory manager does? I use Enhanced steam but just remembered this week how horrible the inventory/badge/selling system is on Steam. Steam Inventory Manager in conjunction with Enhanced steam has helped a lot.

I've thought about it but honestly it's quite a bit of work to do and to maintain - this is an area that Valve seems to be constantly changing the rules. SIH does a pretty good job of keeping on top of things, but they also release a lot of updates to fix things when Valve breaks them. And while I don't personally use or advocate SIH due to their questionable ownership, I understand that they are filling a niche and have a larger userbase than Enhanced Steam does. So in some respects I see it as "If Enhanced Steam had these features as well, it would probably get a lot of people to switch over or drop SIH" and I guess that feels a little... petty? Their extension has obviously had a lot of work put in it and they're obviously doing well with it since they've put offers on Enhanced Steam that have been sizable.

I think eventually I'll get around to adding stuff like that, but I've always been hesitant to put many market features in place simply because of the implications of things going wrong. I'd rather focus on other things like making the wishlist for useful and usable, adding consumer-centric features to store pages to warn people about DRM or bad business practices and those sorts of things.

Of course, Enhanced Steam is open source and literally anyone could contribute, so if someone put forth a working bit of code that was somewhat easy to maintain going forward, I'd certainly consider it.

Freezard

This game went from a summer release to being released in 1 hour. It's a top-down shooter from the Hammerwatch developers. Really hype for this!

I've thought about it but honestly it's quite a bit of work to do and to maintain - this is an area that Valve seems to be constantly changing the rules. SIH does a pretty good job of keeping on top of things, but they also release a lot of updates to fix things when Valve breaks them. And while I don't personally use or advocate SIH due to their questionable ownership, I understand that they are filling a niche and have a larger userbase than Enhanced Steam does. So in some respects I see it as "If Enhanced Steam had these features as well, it would probably get a lot of people to switch over or drop SIH" and I guess that feels a little... petty? Their extension has obviously had a lot of work put in it and they're obviously doing well with it since they've put offers on Enhanced Steam that have been sizable.

I think eventually I'll get around to adding stuff like that, but I've always been hesitant to put many market features in place simply because of the implications of things going wrong. I'd rather focus on other things like making the wishlist for useful and usable, adding consumer-centric features to store pages to warn people about DRM or bad business practices and those sorts of things.

Of course, Enhanced Steam is open source and literally anyone could contribute, so if someone put forth a working bit of code that was somewhat easy to maintain going forward, I'd certainly consider it.

Makes sense. I think we all take for granted these plug-ins and forget how bare bones vanilla steam really is. I just wanted to say thank you for the work you do. Valve should really just hire you (or a few people) to completely revamp there store/inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom