• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2015 - Have you seen MRORANGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Only played the prologue of Ori, and the game already hit me in the feels.
It is also such a beautiful game that I started pressing the screenshot button over and over.

MUnited83

For you.
Hmm, Jase, have you seen anything like this yet?

Looks like Valve is cracking down hard on VPN activation of gifts, essentially making a default runtime lock on all steam gifts from a cheaper region:

0ta0BJe.png

Jesus fuck Valve, stop.

Looks like Valve is cracking down hard on VPN activation of gifts, essentially making a default runtime lock on all steam gifts from a cheaper region:

0ta0BJe.png

Oh man..
I really wanted to buy the Secret World which is region locked on my country. I missed it on the last sale.

rtcn63

I think Steam fucked with my browser. Started it up, and the reload tab function in Firefox stopped working completely.

madjoki

0ta0BJe.png

Does this mean crossregion tags restricts on runtime too now? Or is it just words.

Btw., I'd expect similar lock on cd-keys too, Valve has implemented mandatory region/shop tagging on keys. (Won't show up on steamdb, because keys are tagged instead of package).

i just noticed that the new cities game has a higher all time peak than evolve does, and evolve even had that pricing glitch where it was $6 :eek:

yeah, I'm sure all the people who travel often will be incredibly happy about that
My region's prices are identical if not more expensive than US's, but from time to time when some publisher wants to region lock games, we somehow ended up getting locked as well.

Reminds me of Amazon Instant Video's ad on Amazon, "Anytime, anywhere", no it's not!

Turfster

i just noticed that the new cities game has a higher all time peak than evolve does, and evolve even had that pricing glitch where it was $6 :eek:

People have been waiting for a new Sim City for over 10 years.
Also, Evolve was doomed from the start, since the whole setup is geared towards grinding and not towards fun.

Does this mean crossregion tags restricts on runtime too now? Or is it just words.

Btw., I'd expect similar lock on cd-keys too, Valve has implemented mandatory region/shop tagging on keys. (Won't show up on steamdb, because keys are tagged instead of package).

damn son why valve going hard like that tho? we need a new big boy to step into the picture and challenge valve with there store. I'm guessing that means its almost time to say good night sweet prince to nuuvem? :(

in gog galaxy i trust.

People have been waiting for a new Sim City for over 10 years.
Also, Evolve was doomed from the start, since the whole setup is geared towards grinding and not towards fun.

man i just want to play as the great lord chtulu. doesn't help that you HAVE to use certain skills for the first monster, 1 of em i find completely useless for my playstyle(the rushing one). all i need is the rock and flame thrower to win, the other 2 are shitty imo but at least with the jump attack i can use that when im waiting for the rock to cool down

I think it was only a matter of time before Valve started cracking down on all the crazy price exploits and tricks people used. It sucks, but at the end of the day I think that's probably the price of cheap games and crazy sales. At some point the reality of the fact that creators were getting screwed had to be addressed. It sucks that it has to come at the expense of legitimate customers, like always though.

Turfster

damn son why valve going hard like that tho? we need a new big boy to step into the picture and challenge valve with there store. I'm guessing that means its almost time to say good night sweet prince to nuuvem? :(
Because too many idiots wanted to get gaems 4 cheep and got scammed, which sent them complaining to Valve, and they're probably sick and tired of it? =p
(Also, you know, publishers not happy)

I think it was only a matter of time before Valve started cracking down on all the crazy price exploits and tricks people used. It sucks, but at the end of the day I think that's probably the price of cheap games and crazy sales. At some point the reality of the fact that creators were getting screwed had to be addressed. It sucks that it has to come at the expense of legitimate customers, like always though.
If cd keys can no longer be activated with VPN, I will have to pirate pretty much ALL SEGA games (and some Konami games) in the future.

Fuck you SEGA!

madjoki

in gog galaxy i trust.

GOG has already blocks cross-region gifting too.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
well I guess that's one way to fuck over ALL the people in EU2 countries ... good job, volvo

Locust

This is probably done mainly to combat Kinguin, as they just moved to selling RU VPN activated gifts after everything got locked. I still think you can blame them for almost all restrictions tbh, key trading was widespread but Kinguin is quite a few steps bigger than that.

madjoki

I just tested and yes it DOES have the runtime lock.

I wonder if this affects old games too, activated before change? Like Valiant Hearts and The Witcher 3.

Is it safe?
I've never bought a region-locked game before, and I'm planning to buy one from a more expensive region. What should I actually do?

Australia, Europe, Japan and North America are still region free, no locks.

Edit: Talking about default region locking, some games might have customized regions.

bigzgod

Is it safe?
I've never bought a region-locked game before, and I'm planning to buy one from a more expensive region. What should I actually do?

There are no regional restrictions from games bought in the more expensive regions (US and Europe). Those games can be freely activated anywhere unless there is a prohibitrun tag that some games have, like Wolfenstein.

I wonder if this affects old games too, activated before change? Like Valiant Hearts and The Witcher 3.

Australia, Europe, Japan and North America are still region free, no locks.

Edit: Talking about default region locking, some games might have customized regions.

There are no regional restrictions from games bought in the more expensive regions (US and Europe). Those games can be freely activated anywhere unless there is a prohibitrun tag that some games have, like Wolfenstein.

Yes, I'm talking about region-locked games, like FFXIV, Secret World, and MG Rising which aren't available in my country.

bigzgod

Old games are also affected?

Yes, someone else just tested with Toki Tori bought from Russia and activated with a VPN.

This is what they got when they tried running the game once they disconnected from the VPN:

fSPEqfT.jpg

Edit: To clarify, this only affects games that are bought from the store after the crossregion tag was applied by default. Previously activated games prior to that should be safe, I believe.

textonly

Neo Member
Old games are also affected?

Probably not for the gifts you are already redeemed, I haven't seen anyone reported yet.

Yes, someone else just tested with Toki Tori bought from Russia and activated with a VPN.

This is what they got when they tried running the game once they disconnected from the VPN:

fSPEqfT.jpg
Yeah that's my screenshot :p

textonly

Neo Member
If you open Steam console with steam://open/console and put in licenses_for_app <APPID> for the game you VPN activated does it say what country it can be played in?
No it doesn't, still the same info:
License (2835):
- State : Active( flags 256 ) - Purchased : Wed Mar 11 13:26:30 2015 in "RU", Guest Pass
- Apps : 38700, (1 in total)
- Depots : 38702, 38703, 387001, (3 in total)

Vibranium

Banned
Well I'm still not paying $70 for a video game, I'll wait until the Canadian economy gets out of the oil-hole.

I wish Valve could move this fast to get rid of that terrible 3 minute "How do you do it" game. Bat Rats actually has Steamworks/trading cards, and is an actual GOTY game compared to that crap.

denx

Wow, did my guy
actually rip out the spine of that SWAT
in HM2? That's some Mortal Kombat shit.

Excellent news. I hope he's not mad that I've assumed the role of GOTY coordinator.

Wait, so you'll re-do the voting? That would be awesome since I missed out on voting during the summer... I mean winter for you people living upside down.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I can't think of a Valve policy that was retroactive. The obvious counter-point is the retroactive region-locking of certain multi-pack spares, but that was Valve fixing something that was quite clearly broken.

Well I'm still not paying $70 for a video game, I'll wait until the Canadian economy gets out of the Harper-hole.

Surprisingly, it's not Harper's fault. The value of our dollar has a pretty good tie to the price of oil because we produce so much. When other countries increase the supply of oil to drop the price and screw over Russia and ISIS who need it for their economies, Canada takes a small hit as well. There's really not too much Harper can do - not that he necessarily wants to because a low dollar can have its advantages. Just...not for consumers.

Oh, um...what I mean is...how about that Hexcells, huh?

Vibranium

Banned
Surprisingly, it's not Harper's fault. The value of our dollar has a pretty good tie to the price of oil because we produce so much. When other countries increase the supply of oil to drop the price and screw over Russia and ISIS who need it for their economies, Canada takes a small hit as well. There's really not too much Harper can do - not that he necessarily wants to because a low dollar can have its advantages. Just...not for consumers.

I know all of this very well by now, I'm just complaining as usual. I hate the Conservatives with every fibre of my being so scapegoats are fun. :p

Wish we could you know, start easing off on oil for the future. Don't need to give Ubisoft an excuse to charge $80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom