• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eila

Fun fact: Steam did eat keys to begin with. Not in the "It activated a game I already had because of app/depot differences" sense, but rather you'd be told you already owned the game and the key would be unusable despite the fact it did exactly nothing. I "lost" one of my Half-Life Platinum Pack keys thanks to this.

Did they get around fixing the dupe keys problem from a few weeks ago? They need to update their system so it tells you for what game the key is and if it's used or not before activating it.

In this particular case (the Doom codes) the code will be unusable anyway because it's actually the same code as the Alpha code. I got one in the mail yesterday, tried to give it to a friend today and it was a dupe. Then I checked my mail and it was the same code I got for the Alpha.

Interesting, I guess mines the same then, I can't find my original alpha email.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
In this particular case (the Doom codes) the code will be unusable anyway because it's actually the same code as the Alpha code. I got one in the mail yesterday, tried to give it to a friend today and it was a dupe. Then I checked my mail and it was the same code I got for the Alpha.

Right, but he wasn't sure if the key would still work after he'd tried it, which isn't an issue any more.

Edit: Err, sorry, I misread your post.

Did they get around fixing the dupe keys problem from a few weeks ago? They need to update their system so it tells you for what game the key is and if it's used or not before activating it.

The mass simultaneous activation loophole? Yeah.

Anno

Wrong thread?

It was talked about a bit earlier so I figured some people here may have missed it. And it's better than posting in the other thread which was just an instant flurry of "oh well yeah that makes sense. see guys Nintendo ain't so bad!"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That sounds terrible, that's a hell of an oversight on Valve's part, if it even was one.

To be fair, back in 2003, the odds of encountering it were virtually zero as every Valve key that wasn't Opposing Force (I'd love to know why OpFor keys in particular were ignored -- even Blue Shift keys are valid) activated every GoldSrc product, which, at the time, was the entire Steam library. But I didn't know this when I made my account, so I activated my Half-Life key then immediately tried to activate my CS key, thinking they were separate packages -- however, when I got the error, I gave it to a mate, who couldn't activate it on the count of it being a "duplicate".

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
XoNzMIA.jpg

Riiigggghhhttttt.

It kinda says a lot that they only talk about how they condemn harassment after the fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom