• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off-topic is on fire, too. In a good way:
x7EtdtA.png
I just need a Persona 5-ready console. I don't care which one it is.

Lain

WHAT? What about this pose has anything to do with the character they're building in motoko? It's not fun, its not silly, it has nothing to do with being a fast elite killer. It just reduces motoko to another bland female sex symbol.

I'd say she's not a sex symbol enough in that game.
afMb.jpg

komorebi

WHAT? What about this pose has anything to do with the character they're building in motoko? It's not fun, its not silly, it has nothing to do with being a fast elite killer. It just reduces motoko to another bland female sex symbol.

Motoko the ice queen can be sexy too.

MUnited83

For you.
Perhaps I should have written that different and/or my information on the whole matter is outdated.

But with 2 sides I meant as GG and very vocal anti-GG(like threats and harassment) who think just because somebody agrees a little bit with GG that they are WITH them(and attack them).

That is what I meant by 2 sides and why I don't want to be associated with any of the 2.

Of course I haven't kept up with all of this since I don't want to give 2 shits about and this clarification will be the last thing I will be posting about that.
Thats the thing though: there's no thing like "agreeing a bit" with GG. They are a hate and harassment group that have exactly zero valid arguments. If someone "agrees a bit" with them they are a piece of shit and are directly endorsing and validating a hate group.

Just imagine if you said the following: "Hey now, just because those guys agree a bit with the KKK doesn't mean they are racist pieces of shit!"

Armageddon

Neo Member
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas about the situation I'm in currently. I was recently VAC banned from Dota 2 on Sunday, March 20th and didn't realize until that Tuesday. This came as quite a shock to me as I have never cheated in Dota 2 nor have I even ever modified anything other than the autoexec as far as can recall. The moment I saw the VAC ban on my account, I felt my stomach fall and a sense of dread washed over me. Valve's stance on VAC bans is pretty well known, so the moment I saw that the idea of ever getting my Dota account back seemed less likely than winning the lottery.

Now, I've tried the standard support ticket route and as expected that didn't really help at all. Even with my pathetic groveling, the support agent offered no information and no promise of someone even taking a cursory glance at my account. I also sent an email to the Dota 2 dev team, which I'm sure no-one is surprised to hear that I've received no reply to.

Also, just thinking about what could have caused this I've thought of a couple of theories.
  1. My siblings that I've linked my account to through family share could have gotten me banned. However, I don't think this is the case because none of their accounts have VAC bans and only one of them even plays Dota (and rarely at that).
  2. My account could have been hijacked and someone else could have cheated on my account and gotten me banned. However, I don't think this is the case because I use the authenticator making it extremely hard for them to even get into my account. Also, I'm pretty sure they would have just stolen my items if they did get into it.
  3. Something I ran in the background was picked up as cheating, in other words, a false positive. This is the most likely scenario that I can think of.
I decided to do some research to help me think of what could have caused the false positive and mention them in my support ticket. Reading about people that have been unbanned from VAC, a common thing the support agents mentioned was that Cheat Engine got them banned even though they weren't using it on the game they were banned from. This is a possible scenario in my case as I do use Cheat Engine occasionally for single player games.

Other than that I've only thought of two other possibilities. A macro that I had on my old keyboard that would spam left click (I used it for those garbage cookie clicker games) and I would accidentally trigger every once in a while, or the Stardew Modding API as I had been playing that game recently and I think that the modding API uses DLL injection to load mods.

Thus, as I mentioned earlier, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for some sort of action I could take to help increase my chances of getting my account back. It's been about a week since I last heard anything from the support agent, but I don't want to give up yet. I put close to 3000 hours into the account and quite a bit of money over the years. I just wish I could have gotten some actual support from Valve considering how much money I've spent on Steam and how long I've had the account. Instead I was treated like a common cheater that has 1 game on their account with 100 hours played.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas about the situation I'm in currently. I was recently VAC banned from Dota 2 on Sunday, March 20th and didn't realize until that Tuesday. This came as quite a shock to me as I have never cheated in Dota 2 nor have I even ever modified anything other than the autoexec as far as can recall. The moment I saw the VAC ban on my account, I felt my stomach fall and a sense of dread washed over me. Valve's stance on VAC bans is pretty well known, so the moment I saw that the idea of ever getting my Dota account back seemed less likely than winning the lottery.

False positives are relatively rare. A Family Sharing partner using your account as a guinea pig for a hack seems far more likely to me. If that is the case, then, as you've already discovered, you're out of luck: the Family Sharing FAQ states in no uncertain terms that the account owner is responsible for the security of the account and VAC bans will apply to him/her rather than the secondary user.

Valve should tell you why you were banned, though. Bump your ticket asking for an explanation while stressing the fact that you realise policy dictates no guarantees can be made as to the restoration of full privileges.

Edit: Oh, as Annubis says, Cheat Engine is blacklisted, so it's possible there was no ill intent and you or one of your siblings used it to, say, slow down the game speed in some other title and forgot to close it.

jediyoshi

i mean, i'm sure mister call of duty takes it pretty easy considering each game makes like half a billion. halo guy is probably like pretty chill with his numbers too

i'm sure they'd love to get their games to be esports but esports games are generally not annual $60 releases (except street fighter but idk, fighting games are weird) so they clearly made the choice that makes them the most money

i mean, esports are mostly about pushing game copies and skins (and in cs go's case, getting people into steam), so if they already got that covered with being freaking call of duty i don't think they're too concerned with cs: go doing pretty great in the esports stuff

i think if they were they would actually try to make an esports game :T

So I take it you wanted to talk about sales figures instead

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
All you need to know about GamerGate is that, yesterday, when it was announced that the butt pose for that young-looking female character is Overwatch would be removed from the game, the top 7 posts on one of their subreddits, all in a row, were about it.

Angrily about it.

Those ethics.

mp1990

Banned
Nintendo dropped Alison Rapp

another win for gamergate

Well, that's a depressing thing to wake up to. Goddamnit Nintendo, you really dropped the ball :(

I usually stand up for Nintendo's shit, even when it's at their worse, but not this time. Really undermines how i feel about them. Ugh, this powerless feeling is excruciating.

Corpekata

Banned
All you need to know about GamerGate is that, yesterday, when it was announced that the butt pose for that young-looking female character is Overwatch would be removed from the game, the top 7 posts on one of their subreddits, all in a row, were about it.

Angrily about it.

Those ethics.

Only 7? They must be losing steam.

Angrily about it.

Those ethics.

Why were you looking?

I'm thinking of a couple new threads in gaming worth of discussion:

"Will the PS4K mean the death of RTS games?"

"How a PS4K is not environmentally friendly and how does that relate to global warming."

"I hate 4K! What about a PS4@60?"

Jawmuncher

If only the amount of effort GG put into being jerks was put into getting a new Dino crisis game. Obviously sans the jerkiness and other not polite features.

MUnited83

For you.
False positives are relatively rare. A Family Sharing partner using your account as a guinea pig for a hack seems far more likely to me. If that is the case, then, as you've already discovered, you're out of luck: the Family Sharing FAQ states in no uncertain terms that the account owner is responsible for the security of the account and VAC bans will apply to him/her rather than the secondary user.

Valve should tell you why you were banned, though. Bump your ticket asking for an explanation while stressing the fact that you realise policy dictates no guarantees can be made as to the restoration of full privileges.

Edit: Oh, as Annubis says, Cheat Engine is blacklisted, so it's possible there was no ill intent and you or one of your siblings used it to, say, slow down the game speed in some other title and forgot to close it.
Afaik, having cheatengine open won't give you a VAC ban. It will earn you a automatic kick or even ban from specific servers, but no VAC ban.

Phawx

Gamersgate existed before GG. It's kind of effed to suggest that the business should change their name to something else because something with the -gate suffix came about.

GamersPortal, GamersDoor, GamersVault, GamersHold.

I dunno.

JaseC

Afaik, having cheatengine open won't give you a VAC ban. It will earn you a automatic kick or even ban from specific servers, but no VAC ban.

I hopped on to Google and saw a few Steam Support images regarding Cheat Engine, but, yeah, come to think of it, it's probable that CE by itself is more or less fine unless the program is interacting with a VAC-protected exe.

Salsa

met graham bell

- oh im developing this VOCAL TELEGRAPH, you wouldnt believe your eyes!

(my character) - vocal telegraph? that's quite the mouthful, you could just call it.... TELEPHONE

Assassin's Creed why are you this stupid. this shit got old a decade ago

im not supposed to be fucking marty mcfly

it'd be cool if the delivery wasnt always like "we are so clever as writers"

Salsa

I also never hated a main character as fast as I did with this guy twin syndicate character

good lord he's like a dreamworks animation dipshit

they play it as "loveable asshole with a heart of gold" but he's just a fucking asshole

good thing lady character is nice

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Gamersgate existed before GG. It's kind of effed to suggest that the business should change their name to something else because something with the -gate suffix came about.

GamersPortal, GamersDoor, GamersVault, GamersHold.

I dunno.
The best -gate is researchgate.net

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I also never hated a main character as fast as I did with this guy twin syndicate character

good lord he's like a dreamworks animation dipshit

they play it as "loveable asshole with a heart of gold" but he's just a fucking asshole

good thing lady character is nice

This is pretty much the most accurate description of Jacob I've ever seen, bravo

Salsa

Hyper Light Drifter keys going out both for backers and people who bought it on Humble Bundle Store / their webiste, apparently

met graham bell

- oh im developing this VOCAL TELEGRAPH, you wouldnt believe your eyes!

(my character) - vocal telegraph? that's quite the mouthful, you could just call it.... TELEPHONE

Assassin's Creed why are you this stupid. this shit got old a decade ago

im not supposed to be fucking marty mcfly

it'd be cool if the delivery wasnt always like "we are so clever as writers"

The "Forrest Gumping" in AC3 got way out of hand after a while!

Armageddon

Neo Member

Yes, when I first saw the ban I also thought that this was the most likely cause. But like I said, none of the accounts that my account is shared with have VAC bans. As far as I understand, if they got me VAC banned then they'd also be VAC banned.

Here's a screenshot of the accounts my account is shared with
w9QmfcL.png

And here are all those accounts
https://steamcommunity.com/id/naturebow/
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198018454015/
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198061332685/
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198089587697/

Not this for sure because Stardew Valley isn't VAC protected.
Most likely you having Cheat Engine running.

Ah, I didn't mean to say that I would be banned because Stardew Valley was VAC protected. Rather that I was playing it through the modding API (that I think uses DLL injection) while Dota 2 was running. Thus causing it to get picked up as some sort of cheat for Dota 2.

I hopped on to Google and saw a few Steam Support images regarding Cheat Engine, but, yeah, come to think of it, it's probable that CE by itself is more or less fine unless the program is interacting with a VAC-protected exe.

I've heard conflicting reports. A lot of people say the same thing you're saying here, that you have to be using Cheat Engine on the VAC protected game to be banned because of it. But there are people who say they have been banned just because they had Cheat Engine open in the background and have then been unbanned by a support agent saying not to run Cheat Engine while playing a VAC protected game.

So I'm no sure which one is actually the case. However, as I haven't used Cheat Engine on Dota. It would have had to have been the background case for me.

Thanks to everyone whose replied thus far. I'll probably try bumping my support ticket again, but I fear they'll just ignore me or close my ticket. Though I guess that wouldn't really be any different from me not doing anything.

Salsa

I wanna write for Ass Creed Egypt

Egyptian-God-Nu.jpg

- sup, who are you?

- oh im the primordial waters in body form kickin back and liftin up the barque of Ra, you know, the Ogdoad cosmogony?

- ha, with that thing in your head you look more like a... NUN

hit me up Ubi

Salsa

- hey Hakluyt what do you call these things?

- these are the dead which the Phisistians and Apothecaries doe against our willes make us to swallow

- idk they reminded me of when I was a kid and I stayed up watching over my sleeping... MUMMY

- fuck thee

JaseC

As far as I understand, if they got me VAC banned then they'd also be VAC banned.

I can't seem to find any concrete info on this. I did come across one person complaining about a VAC ban thanks to his brother, but it's entirely possible said brother was banned first and then he took to the Family Sharing account to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom