• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of FeedMeAStrayCat, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FeedMeAStrayCat, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot within the last 3 months to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War 2 -- MB-A7DE7D69240CE213 - Taken by purseowner. 4 entrants total.
Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War GOTY Edition -- MB-D8120D9DA52B3DA7 - Taken by laserlaser. 2 entrants total.

t1490919665z1.png

Hinomura

Finished Nier Automata in about 13 hours (couple of endings a bit of sidequests, just a couple of bosses...). Well... that was maybe a bit too short... :/

Usuallly I'm in the range of "main + extras" / leisure in howlongtobeat (it's almost 55 hours there), but... I don't know... :/ what happened? :O

Length apart it's a very good game, loved the settings, the battle system + management, and the soundtrack. But really, 13 hours... I've played it just for two days (ok, lengthy session in the past weekend but still)...

I know there's a gazillion endings, but I'm not that interested in finding the ones I'm missing... oh well...

At least I'm happy it's selling very good, that's great since it should show clearly the message "day one: you got more sales, and you make the best earnings", opposed to "one year later port, let's hope there are enough double dippers and a third of a price is an enjoyable offering".

But.

WHERE IS FIRE PRO WRESTLING? :O

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's cool. Hope for an episode of talking too. While you can't say it was all one man. He definitely has done a lot (with the help of fans) of shaping greenlight

But Greenlight has only become less of a barrier over time, which is the opposite of what Jim wants.

JaseC

Well more in bringing light to a lot of garbage that snuck through, or odd practices. Such as the Airport Simulator BS terms of service.

But that just brings the games more exposure, which is also the opposite of what Jim wants. ;) Games are pulled for policy violations, not for being awful or ethically questionable. If anything, I think his pursuit to have Valve engage in a higher level of oversight over Steam's release pipeline has been self-destructive in the sense that he's been shining a spotlight on games that would otherwise just fly under the radar -- something that isn't really necessary anymore now that Steam has a universal refund policy and the community is very quick to report/shame games with manipulated reviews, stolen assets, etc.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hey, speaking of ModBot giveaways, I wanted to let you guys know that some time in the last few weeks ModBot passed 75,000 items giveaway away. Whether it's credit for online stores, beta codes, bundle turds, birthday gifts, high value launch giveaways, or that time someone gave away a brand new sealed in box cell phone, I am consistently humbled and proud at the community's charity and enthusiasm. The total value of goods given away is north of $10,000 even if they were all bundle turds, but actually I suspect it's probably something closer to $100,000 in total value. This is insane.

I've programmed professionally for a very long time, and I've run a lot of money-losing code endeavours because I get personal satisfaction from making things people use, but this is probably the project I've worked on that has been used more than anything else I've ever made and I am just truly grateful that years after the idea was born, ModBot is more popular than ever by some regards. Thank you, again.

Tagyhag

Hey, speaking of ModBot giveaways, I wanted to let you guys know that some time in the last few weeks ModBot passed 75,000 items giveaway away. Whether it's credit for online stores, beta codes, bundle turds, birthday gifts, high value launch giveaways, or that time someone gave away a brand new sealed in box cell phone, I am consistently humbled and proud at the community's charity and enthusiasm. The total value of goods given away is north of $10,000 even if they were all bundle turds, but actually I suspect it's probably something closer to $100,000 in total value. This is insane.

I've programmed professionally for a very long time, and I've run a lot of money-losing code endeavours because I get personal satisfaction from making things people use, but this is probably the project I've worked on that has been used more than anything else I've ever made and I am just truly grateful that years after the idea was born, ModBot is more popular than ever by some regards. Thank you, again.

You worked on ModBot? That's awesome.

Good on Gaffers being generous, I haven't been generous in a looooong time. :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When you are watching a movie on steam, does it actually show others you are watching it like it does with games?

Yes everybody will see the smut you're watching.

Finished Nier Automata in about 13 hours (couple of endings a bit of sidequests, just a couple of bosses...). Well... that was maybe a bit too short... :/

Usuallly I'm in the range of "main + extras" / leisure in howlongtobeat (it's almost 55 hours there), but... I don't know... :/ what happened? :O

Length apart it's a very good game, loved the settings, the battle system + management, and the soundtrack. But really, 13 hours... I've played it just for two days (ok, lengthy session in the past weekend but still)...

I know there's a gazillion endings, but I'm not that interested in finding the ones I'm missings... oh well...

At least I'm happy it's selling very good, that's great since it should show clearly the message "day one: you got more sales, and you make the best earnings", opposed to "one year later port, let's hope there are enough double dippers and a third of a price is an enjoyable offering".

But.

Did you do A, B, C and D? As far as I know, in order to really see the cool things the game has to offer, you gotta do all those.

MUnited83

For you.
Sometimes he's a bit too passionate with shovelware and even worst passing through.

But Greenlight has been really abused...

curation is shit. I don't need any random dudes at Valve deciding what I can or can't buy. If anything the floodgates need to be opened further.

Kifimbo

Thanks to you, sir !

Pretty much. Curation is not the answer, and I believe Valve knows this well enough. Steam Greenlight had its share of problems, but opening up the gates to the store wasn't one of them.

I agree with this. I like Jim Sterling and I find him entertaining but stricter curation isn't the answer. All games of any type of genre should be welcomed. I wouldn't want a situation like what happened to Cook, Serve, Delicious! and GOG. Better customer service from Valve would be ideal.

Nzyme32

If it means anything, your modbot efforts have made me quite happy. Courtesy of anno, earlier this month i managed to get Hollow Knight, which turned out to be a monumental surprise to me and now one of my favourite games of all time. I've been guided towards a lot of different types of games I didn't consider exploring thanks to this system too.

Equally in the other direction, I like the ability to give something to folks that i know will value them (in most cases). Many thanks for the efforts Stump!

Grief.exe

Thank you Stump.

You worked on ModBot? That's awesome.

Good on Gaffers being generous, I haven't been generous in a looooong time. :p

More than worked on.

FLD

Just A from the main endings, but I feel I'm not very interested in the others...

Yeah, you haven't finished the game dude. That's why it feels short. :p

There's more to the other routes than just a different ending. Just load your clear save and you'll immediately see what I mean.

Knurek

Wrapped up GTAV
God, if it weren't for the music and Steam Controller for the endless gun battles, I'm sure I'd never finish this piece of crap.
AAA gaming is just not for me, it seems.

Nzyme32

Well more in bringing light to a lot of garbage that snuck through, or odd practices. Such as the Airport Simulator BS terms of service.

But that just brings the games more exposure, which is also the opposite of what Jim wants. ;) Games are pulled for policy violations, not for being awful or ethically questionable. If anything, I think his pursuit to have Valve engage in a higher level of oversight over Steam's release pipeline has been self-destructive, recent visit to Valve HQ aside.

I agree with both of you.

I think Valve needs a consistent prod for many issues, and I think Valve tend to work in that way. I do wonder what effect either would have had without the other doing something. At least to me it seems Valve has been more engaged with all that stuff lately than say a few years ago

I know there's a gazillion endings, but I'm not that interested in finding the ones I'm missing... oh well...

But.

Keep playing. You should consider Ending A as "Part 1" of the game

Hinomura

curation is shit. I don't need any random dudes at Valve deciding what I can or can't buy. If anything the floodgates need to be opened further.

I understand the feeling "someone should not judge what I should play", but there's really a lot of stuff that's not aimed to give pleasure to any kind of player but just money to the developer.

Ie: there's really a lot of stuff that's aimed to make money from cards and low tier bundles, and since just one game is not enough, let's flood dat steam!

I doubt a random dude can manage everything, but I'd like at least some check to avoid embarassing situations.

For a developer too (of games, not trash aimed for bundles and cards only), I think that releasing your game without it being submerged by shovelware stuff releasing the same day is a better opportunity.

Annubis

We owe you our thanks for this wonderful tool.
Thank you Stump.

Hinomura

Yeah, you haven't finished the game dude. That's why it feels short. :p

There's more to the other routes than just a different ending. Just load your clear save and you'll immediately see what I mean.

The game changes A LOT from ending A to the other ones (not just the endings, the whole game)

Keep playing. You should consider Ending A as "Part 1" of the game

Ok, ok, I'll try other endings :) Thanks for your suggestions!

But still I'm a bit puzzled (at least now).

Volimar

As someone who has benefited a lot from Modbot giveaways, big thanks to you Stump for all your hard work and to steamGAF for your amazing generosity!

JaseC

I agree with both of you.

I think Valve needs a consistent prod for many issues, and I think Valve tend to work in that way. I do wonder what effect either would have had without the other doing something. At least to me it seems Valve has been more engaged with all that stuff lately than say a few years ago

Yeah, it's great that Valve is engaging prominent members of the community for a dialogue about how Steam can be improved, even if I don't agree with Jim's desire for tighter curation (not that I think Valve would head in that direction again, anyway).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah, it's great that Valve is engaging prominent members of the community for a dialogue about how Steam can be improved, even if I don't agree with Jim's desire for tighter curation (not that I think Valve would head in that direction again, anyway).

Absolutely agree that community engagement is something Valve has been missing out on over the course of the last few years that I've been paying attention. But, I've been in similar talks with them a few years back so I can say there is a pretty high likelihood this amounts to nothing.

Hinomura

Wrapped up GTAV
God, if it weren't for the music and Steam Controller for the endless gun battles, I'm sure I'd never finish this piece of crap.

AAA means nothing, it's just the amount of money spent.

Surely, AAA seems to follow the safest route (copy pasta?) but when something really good happens, there's really good stuff to play. Not according to my taste, but still! ^__^

Coreda

Hey, speaking of ModBot giveaways, I wanted to let you guys know that some time in the last few weeks ModBot passed 75,000 items giveaway away.

This is probably the project I've worked on that has been used more than anything else I've ever made and I am just truly grateful that years after the idea was born, ModBot is more popular than ever by some regards. Thank you, again.

I think we can all appreciate the usefulness of the tool and the value it's brought to the SteamGAF community and GAF more broadly. Congrats 🍻

Hinomura

Modbot is great, be really proud! :)

Nzyme32

Yeah same thoughts. On topic, this little tidbit came out, which surprises me:

Q - Have you taken the Digital Homicide's dossier from Valve HQ too? Kinda interested in the whole thing.

A - No but we discussed studios like that and I'm pleased with what I heard.

Quite pleased indeed.

FLD

Ok, ok, I'll try other endings :) Thanks for your suggestions!

But still I'm a bit puzzled (at least now).

You'll understand as soon as you start route B. And if it helps motivate you to keep going, I'll just say this: I thought route B was the least interesting part of the game but route C turned it into one of my favorite games ever. From there, getting the last two endings doesn't require as much time as the first three so you only really need to do 3 playthroughs.

JaseC

Absolutely agree that community engagement is something Valve has been missing out on over the course of the last few years that I've been paying attention. But, I've been in similar talks with them a few years back so I can say there is a pretty high likelihood this amounts to nothing.

Yeah, scepticism is fair, however given the content they produce, I'd wager Jim and John were invited over primarily to offer some input on Steam's release pipeline (i.e. Steam Direct) and its recommendation systems, which are two areas where Valve is much more active in recent times. Steam Direct launching alongside another Discovery Update seems like a safe bet.

Vlad

Wrapped up GTAV

That's how I've been feeling, too. I've been working my way through some of the big released from the last console generation and I've been kind of bored. Went through GTAIV and found it to be utterly forgettable. Saints Row 3 and 4 had a few good moments here and there, but I was just itching for them to be over by the end. Far Cry 3 just felt half-baked.

I did like Just Cause 2, but I got bored with it way before getting 100 percent, and JC3 was a bit of a step down overall aside from the graphics and the new toys.

I've still got a few in the backlog, like BioShock and Deus Ex, so here's hoping I'll have better luck with more linear games.

Hinomura

You'll understand as soon as you start route B. And if it helps motivate you to keep going, I'll just say this: I thought route B was the least interesting part of the game but route C turned it into one of my favorite games ever. From there, getting the last two endings doesn't require as much time as the first three so you only really need to do 3 playthroughs.

The little problem is I'm pretty limited with gaming, my playtime on steam is usually idlemaster or my daughter playing! ^__^

Playing again the same single player game slightly changing my route is not that appealing to me (usually I play jrpgs for about 100 hours, even if it costs me months, or years :D ie loved Xenogears and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne back in the days).

Anyway, I'll try to get other endings :)

gelf

If it means anything, your modbot efforts have made me quite happy. Courtesy of anno, earlier this month i managed to get Hollow Knight, which turned out to be a monumental surprise to me and now one of my favourite games of all time. I've been guided towards a lot of different types of games I didn't consider exploring thanks to this system too.

Equally in the other direction, I like the ability to give something to folks that i know will value them (in most cases). Many thanks for the efforts Stump!
As a fellow winner of Hollow Knight who was also caught by surprise and blown away by it I just want to echo this. Thank you for modbot and to all those who have been generous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom