• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it that you can immediately recognize a hidden object game by its title art (and bonus ease if the title has the name of a woman with just an initial as her last name. )

A woman with just an initial as her last name? How dare you besmirch the name of Melissa K.! But seriously, that's the only hidden object game I know that does that. Most of the protagonists are lucky to have a name at all.

Also, for the record, Brink of Consciousness games are not too bad. Just be prepared to backtrack a lot.

Hm, just got an email from gmg with several upcoming games including Mass Effect added to the "VIP" section but Nier isn't one of them even though it's up on the site, let's hope it gets added.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
whats the deal with these challenge missions in Steamworld Heist, how do we know when we are good to tackle them? Just try it and hope for the best?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Aozora Meikyuu -- MB-3A329CC8D0E2CF0C - Taken by trailmix16
Burnstar -- MB-5EB8FF4D145B00C0 - Taken by dirtywhirlwind
Dreaming Sarah -- MB-7D76B2C09FEAC433 - Taken by Wok
Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood -- MB-121E068390E08A97 - Taken by Eila
Go! Go! Nippon! My First Trip to Japan -- MB-B27791CBCA674D7E - Taken by purseowner
Last Days of Spring Visual Novel -- MB-69D5B894D1A959BB - Taken by Loptous
Lectrovolt II -- MB-00E0CF52E5B4C07C - Taken by titch
Riddled Corpses -- MB-61264B6DE4E561D8 - Taken by madjoki
See No Evil -- MB-0F05E4FBC55CA6F9 - Taken by Shantom
Sky to Fly: Faster Than Wind -- MB-9848C5A81EDF3FC4 - Taken by voodooray
Time Mysteries: Inheritance Remastered -- MB-616FBABCCD4A63C5 - Taken by Shalashaska

PaulLFC

Does anyone know why most key activations (from Humble Bundle etc) now don't give the option to install straight after activation, as part of the activation flow? Some still do, but it's rare and I can't work out what controls whether a title does or not.

Arthea

Does anyone know why most key activations (from Humble Bundle etc) now don't give the option to install straight after activation, as part of the activation flow? Some still do, but it's rare and I can't work out what controls whether a title does or not.

I might be wrong, but I think it's related to how many games you have, the more you have the rarer you get it, and at some point you stop having that option, I didn't have it for years now.
At least I couldn't think of any other reason.

madjoki

My theory is: Since Valve modified client to no store information about non-owned games, client doesn't know which game it is, as request for app info might not be fulfilled.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Mokoi, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Mokoi, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
NieR: Automata -- MB-90DE6ED84B291C9D - Taken by trailmix16. 189 entrants total.

t1488704079z1.png

gngf123

Might not be the best place to ask but here goes. Recommendations for mechanical keyboards?

What switch do you like?

I am quite impressed with my Qwazar Red Shift for the money. Proper Cherry MX switches, decent build quality, and a reasonable price. Do wish they had a Brown or Blue switch version though.

I had the QPAD MK-80 with Blue switches before. It goes on sale a lot and I loved it. Only had to stop using it because my typing noises would wake up family.

I've had this idea for a topic that's been rattling in my head for quite awhile. I have loved the Dawn of War series since the first game, but I'm troubled by the fact that there hasn't been a full retail release of a Command and Conquer game since Red Alert 3 and C&C4. All I've heard is there a modder who got the okay for Command and Conquer Renegade X mod to be on Steam and that seems to have been it. Like I'm confused on whether it's the market for RTS in general just not being there or if EA just can't the Command and Conquer idea off the launch pad or if it's just Dawn of War being that much better?

It's something that's been bothering for a long while.

Might not be the best place to ask but here goes. Recommendations for mechanical keyboards?

I have a Das Keyboard 4 Professional with the Cherry MX Brown switches and love it. It's not overwhelmingly loud, but the keys feel great. It's also been relatively bulletproof so far, and I really like the built in media controls above the number pad.

PaulLFC

I might be wrong, but I think it's related to how many games you have, the more you have the rarer you get it, and at some point you stop having that option, I didn't have it for years now.
At least I couldn't think of any other reason.

My theory is: Since Valve modified client to no store information about non-owned games, client doesn't know which game it is, as request for app info might not be fulfilled.
Thanks, I own a lot of games through bundles etc so maybe it is related to that and would explain why I still get the install option every now and again (I'd say one in 10 activations, maybe). I wish they'd just make it an option in settings somewhere though, always install or never.

I've had this idea for a topic that's been rattling in my head for quite awhile. I have loved the Dawn of War series since the first game, but I'm troubled by the fact that there hasn't been a full retail release of a Command and Conquer game since Red Alert 3 and C&C4. All I've heard is there a modder who got the okay for Command and Conquer Renegade X mod to be on Steam and that seems to have been it. Like I'm confused on whether it's the market for RTS in general just not being there or if EA just can't the Command and Conquer idea off the launch pad or if it's just Dawn of War being that much better?

C&C Generals 2 was due to come out in 2013. Then it was retooled as a free-to-play project and people were supposed to get into the beta if they bought the last big collection (not The First Decade, the one after). Said beta never materialised and I'm pretty sure the whole project is now cancelled.

There absolutely is a market but I don't think it's one EA are overly interested in pursuing.

Dawn of War also has the 40K license to piggyback on. It doesn't carry the weight it once did because Games Workshop hands out licenses like lucky bags these days but it still has appeal. The original Dawn of War is what got me into 40K. Specifically seeing ads for Winter Assault while watching late night Star Trek reruns on Sky. Ah, to be young again.

I have a Das Keyboard 4 Professional with the Cherry MX Brown switches and love it. It's not overwhelmingly loud, but the keys feel great. It's also been relatively bulletproof so far, and I really like the built in media controls above the number pad.

Damn this thing is slick. Might have to keep it in mind for my next kb (though hopefully that's not for a while!)

hohoXD123

Really digging my Corsair Strafe RGB. Some people won't like the gamery lighting but it's fully customisable, you can make it all white or turn it off if you want. If you haven't tried a mechanical keyboard before though, try different ones out in person to see which switches you like best.

Genki

They had some half-assed f2p project that got cancelled a few years back. That's on top of the disaster that was CnC4. When it comes to EA and PC, they don't seem to have their shit together in general despite owning their own distribution network and plenty of iconic IPs.

I'd really love a new CnC in the style of Red Alert 2 personally. Make it extremely fast and streamlined. In the current climate that should offer enough of a contrast to the deluge of mobas. I.e. you don't need to wrap your head around a hundred different items or skills, and the time investment into each match would on average be much lower.

C&C Generals 2 was due to come out in 2013. Then it was retooled as a free-to-play project and people were supposed to get into the beta if they bought the last big collection (not The First Decade, the one after). Said beta never materialised and I'm pretty sure the whole project is now cancelled.

There absolutely is a market but I don't think it's one EA are overly interested in pursuing.

It still drives me crazy that two my favourite RTS IPs (Command and Conquer and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri) are in the hands of EA.

I mean at least Dawn of War is still worth a giving a fuck about and at least Relic still has that license

Fuckall can be Command and Conquer though.

I played Dawn of War 4 years before I got a computer that could play Command and Conquer 3 and I played C&C3, uninstalled it after the first mission. That still sucks.

dhonk

The scene has exploded in such a way that you just need to pick the one you like the look of. There isnt the one recommendation, theres just too many.

They had some half-assed f2p project that got cancelled a few years back. That's on top of the disaster that was CnC4. When it comes to EA and PC, they don't seem to have their shit together in general despite owning their own distribution network and plenty of iconic IPs.

I'd really love a new CnC in the style of Red Alert 2 personally. Make it extremely fast and streamlined. In the current climate that should offer enough of a contrast to the deluge of mobas. I.e. you don't need to wrap your head around a hundred different items or skills, and the time investment into each match would on average be much lower.

Yeah true

Kudo

I had cheap tenkeyless Noppoo for 5+ years and then switched to highest end tenkeyless Topre, both were great buys I don't regret.
Just look for something in your budget and research the switches, they're really different. What would be best is to get one of those switch testers and then decide after that.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZQKCD4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Nzyme32

Colour me impressed with Hollow Knight. Far better than I had considered in every aspect, from art to controls / mechanics, soundtrack, characters, world... you name it, it's all done with wonderful care and thought.

Going to take my time with the game and really savour it

what voucher code? gmg doesn't do those anymore, unless I missed something

not sure if serious

The email they sent today has a 5% code for Ghost Recon and if you go to the site you'll see that you can use BLACKFRIDAY10 on several games for additional discounts.

what voucher code? gmg doesn't do those anymore, unless I missed something

Its rare, but there are some games that do get voucher codes to give it a discount. I think the latest one I used was FF XIV: Stormblood which was 17% off and a 5% Voucher you can use for it. They had it for RE7 as well.

Arthea

The email they sent today has a 5% code for Ghost Recon and if you go to the site you'll see that you can use BLACKFRIDAY10 on several games for additional discounts.

yes? I used one on RE7 just a month and a half ago (or whenever Re7 came out). they just arent very common anymore.

Its rare, but there are some games that do get voucher codes to give it a discount. I think the latest one I used was FF XIV: Stormblood which was 17% off and a 5% Voucher you can use for it. They had it for RE7 as well.

I see, thanks for clearing this up

Nope, there was a closed beta, you can easily find plenty gameplay videos on youtube - Command & Conquer 2013 Alpha Gameplay. EA canceled game soon after beta, that's why almost nobody heard about it. Official trailers are still up on official C&C channel btw - Gamescom 2012 Announce Gameplay Trailer and E3 2013 Official Trailer.

Vibranium

Banned
Man that thread about games that never got ports made me check out Breakdown for the Xbox and holy hell, the game looks really cool (especially for the time), a shame it never could come to Steam. A crazy time traveling, super-soldier martial arts FPS is such a great concept. I would love someone to take that concept with those kicks, uppercuts and punching.

Nzyme32

Man that thread about games that never got ports made me check out Breakdown for the Xbox and holy hell, the game looks really cool (especially for the time), a shame it never could come to Steam. A crazy time traveling, super-soldier martial arts FPS is such a great concept. I would love someone to take that concept with those kicks, uppercuts and punching.

That game was mirrors edge before mirrors edge, forcing a first person perspective always. Shame the game itself is very flawed. If they put more work into it or revived it today, it would probably be pretty great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom