• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Metroidvania is when Castlevania introduced Metroid-style exploration and ability upgrades to their games. Metroidvanias also refer to games that are like Metroid, but also include the RPG elements that Castlevania introduced like XP and an expanded inventory system.

Hollow Knight seems more like a Metroid-like than a Metroidvania so far (4 hrs in).

But Metroidvania, connected not just to Hollow Knight, but prefiguring Hollow Knight in a causal sense, means that basically any post-SotN side-scoller with branching paths and any kind of upgrade system is a Metroidvania.

Axass

Honestly, I think that XP isn't a focal point of "metroidvania" games; also I don't think they have to necessarily be 2D sidescrollers. Quoting myself on what I think of it:

me said:
Metroidvania defines the structure of the game, not the main gameplay mechanics. The structure could be summed up as "traversing huge interconnected worlds with relative freedom and possible sequence-breaking, having to backtrack and unlock new areas and items thanks to newly acquired powers"

The gameplay mechanics and the genre change accordingly; all of these are "metroidvania" games as far as structure goes, but with different twists:

- Outland: action platformer (with a sprinkle of bullet hell)
- Guacamelee: beat 'em up / platformer
- Metroid: shoot 'em up / platformer
- Metroid Prime: fps
- Castlevania: hack 'n' slash / rpg
- Infinitely Twisted Shadow Planet: arcade flying / shooter
- Kirby and the Amazing Mirror: puzzle platformer / action platformer
- Ori: platformer

Now I'd add to it Hollow Knight: action platformer / souls-like

Lain

Lightning's bust is on sale on SE store, so you all can also own 1 just like I do
4ed01adbeb41f528079d70ceca5e3d55_1920_KR.jpg

I've been playing Legend of the Skyfish and while it's a cute game, it is a bit too simple for my taste, gameplay wise.
My opinion of it stays positive overall, but I'd say it's a good game for young kids or just to relax.

Belgarion

Anyone else has an issue where some games refuse to update completely?

qlSWVdr.png

That's what happens when I click "play" on the affected games (trying to update them normally just triggers the update process for a second, then the games go back to "queued")

Happened to me yesterday, but I was using the beta client so switching to the normal version fixed it.

Belgarion

I'm using the normal version, maybe switching to beta and back will fix it. Thanks!

Just opened Steam and I have the same problem, switched download region to US - Miami and now its working.

Maybe because we both are from Argentina and our server is not working properly?

xist

I've just finished Mass Effect for the first time and in all honesty I was getting a little bored of it up until the last half hour or so. Aside from the culmination of the plot it all felt a little one note, with little in the way of peaks and troughs to drive the story, no real epic sci-fi grandeur to drive the game (and characters) along. Everything felt sort of self-contained, and even though the threat was supposed to be worrying it never felt very ominous or imposing. The final arc suddenly recaptured the whole point of the journey and I kind of wish there were more points where I felt involved. Also the repeated re-use of maps got old fast, as did the Mako sections.

I've imported my character in Mass Effect 2 and have played about 30 minutes....it already seems to be doing a better job of engaging me so let's see how this all plays out (I know nothing about how this one and the third play out so it's all a big surprise....)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
already love everything about Steamworld Heist just from the tutorial level

Jalal

Metroidvania is when Castlevania introduced Metroid-style exploration and ability upgrades to their games. Metroidvanias also refer to games that are like Metroid, but also include the RPG elements that Castlevania introduced like XP and an expanded inventory system.

Hollow Knight seems more like a Metroid-like than a Metroidvania so far (4 hrs in).

But Metroidvania, connected not just to Hollow Knight, but prefiguring Hollow Knight in a causal sense, means that basically any post-SotN side-scoller with branching paths and any kind of upgrade system is a Metroidvania.

Good to know the distinction.

I just finished Guacamelee Gold. Definitely one of those genre's that never gets old.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
holy cow, $40 for that Ultra SF2 on switch. That's just insane. That game seems like a romhack, like some Rainbow edition shit and they are charging $40 (!!) for that. Just crazy.

I thought them bringing out Marvel on Steam for $35 was crazy. That's at least played competitively still, this is 20 (?) years old. Just wowowowowowow. The online for this is gonna be like 5 people total.

MadGear

Wbacon, don't even bother bringing SF2 to PC if you're gonna charge $40 for it

Oh, I thought you were joking ... that's just crazy. But I guess the only time you can get away with something like this is during a console launch, especially one with a (imo) "weak" software lineup.

Nzyme32

Wbacon, don't even bother bringing SF2 to PC if you're gonna charge $40 for it

Oh, I thought you were joking ... that's just crazy. But I guess the only time you can get away with something like this is during a console launch, especially one with a (imo) "weak" software lineup.

I also thought you were joking. That's absolutely absurd. Looking at most of the Switch games, the price is just ridiculous to me. Definitely leaving them till they are much cheaper

holy cow, $40 for that Ultra SF2 on switch. That's just insane. That game seems like a romhack, like some Rainbow edition shit and they are charging $40 (!!) for that. Just crazy.

I thought them bringing out Marvel on Steam for $35 was crazy. That's at least played competitively still, this is 20 (?) years old. Just wowowowowowow. The online for this is gonna be like 5 people total.
Don't forget that totally awesome and not janky looking fist person mode. I'm sure they felt that mode increases the value of it.

C4rter

I've imported my character in Mass Effect 2 and have played about 30 minutes....it already seems to be doing a better job of engaging me so let's see how this all plays out (I know nothing about how this one and the third play out so it's all a big surprise....)

I got bored with ME2 after around 10 or 12 hours because of how similar the missions were and how little I cared for most of my crew because they were annoying me with their "special" missions. So good luck in putting up with it.

Knurek

I got bored with ME2 after around 10 or 12 hours because of how similar the missions were and how little I cared for most of my crew because they were annoying me with their "special" missions. So good luck in putting up with it.

We have a confirmed sociopath here, folks.
Kidding aside, ME2 has the best NPCs of all RPGs I've played.

jtb

Banned
the Mass Effect games are sooo repetitive. boring encounter design. extreme linearity. as a big BG2/KOTOR fan, the series was probably my biggest disappointment of the generation.

We have a confirmed sociopath here, folks.
Kidding aside, ME2 has the best NPCs of all RPGs I've played.

tsk tsk

Vuze

the Mass Effect games are sooo repetitive. boring encounter design. extreme linearity. as a big BG2/KOTOR fan, the series was probably my biggest disappointment of the generation.
Yeah, tbh I never grew to like any of them either. Just as with Witcher 3 I got bored/sick of the gameplay real quick.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Don't forget that totally awesome and not janky looking fist person mode. I'm sure they felt that mode increases the value of it.

Yeah you're right, how could we forget! I'm sure that will be a separate online hopper though so there will only be 3 people online now the other 2 are in first person (LOLOLOLOLOL)

Grief.exe

Honestly, I think that XP isn't a focal point of "metroidvania" games; also I don't think they have to necessarily be 2D sidescrollers. Quoting myself on what I think of it:

Metroidvania defines the structure of the game, not the main gameplay mechanics. The structure could be summed up as "traversing huge interconnected worlds with relative freedom and possible sequence-breaking, having to backtrack and unlock new areas and items thanks to newly acquired powers"

The gameplay mechanics and the genre change accordingly; all of these are "metroidvania" games as far as structure goes, but with different twists:

- Outland: action platformer (with a sprinkle of bullet hell)
- Guacamelee: beat 'em up / platformer
- Metroid: shoot 'em up / platformer
- Metroid Prime: fps
- Castlevania: hack 'n' slash / rpg
- Infinitely Twisted Shadow Planet: arcade flying / shooter
- Kirby and the Amazing Mirror: puzzle platformer / action platformer
- Ori: platformer

Now I'd add to it Hollow Knight: action platformer / souls-like

I agree with this definition. I believe you could also add Dust: An Elysian Tail to your list.

zebez

Yeah, tbh I never grew to like any of them either. Just as with Witcher 3 I got bored/sick of the gameplay real quick.

I'm replaying the games now before andromeda, and I gotta agree the gameplay isn't what I remembered. Currently on ME2 and I just put the difficulty on casual so I can burn throught the combat. The dialog and story I still find really enjoyable though.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Bioshock 2 -- MB-B626D0B4B96407BA - Taken by fifasnipe2224

So, this is a GFWL code for Bioshock 2 I found today, I don't know if it's still valid, but I think it's worth a try I guess.

March thread already up? Yeah I suppose it is time. Again please buy Pocket Rumble people, it's a good game.

I might get Turok 2, I really did enjoy that on the N64.

jtb

Banned
I'm curious.

Would you guys consider FTL to be an RPG?

(please don't just say "it's a roguelike" as if that makes it mutually exclusive from being an RPG, considering roguelikes' tabletop lineage)

I'm curious.

Would you guys consider FTL to be an RPG?

(please don't just say "it's a roguelike" as if that makes it mutually exclusive from being an RPG, considering roguelikes' tabletop lineage)
It is not a roguelike, but a "spaceship simulation roguelike-like" according to Subset Games. I think they nailed it.

I've been so busy lately and I'll finally have some time to play games for the first time in over a month.... ummm is Horizon Zero Dawn not for PC? I thought it was, but I don't see it on the steam store.

AHA-Lambda

I've been so busy lately and I'll finally have some time to play games for the first time in over a month.... ummm is Horizon Zero Dawn not for PC? I thought it was, but I don't see it on the steam store.

?

It's a Sony owned IP made by one of their internal studios

MUnited83

For you.
You can indeed play it on PC
by using the Remote Play app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom