• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Some people like to differentiate between games that are metroid-like and games that could be considered metroidvania.
Like for example Axiom Verge is more metroid than -vania and i would consider it a metroid-like while a game like Bloodstained is pure metroidvania.

This.

Ok, I didn't know Horizion was a PS4 exclusive game. Bummer, I was looking forward to it, maybe I'll get it once I'm done with Zelda and some other things.

Aaron D.

I might get Turok 2, I really did enjoy that on the N64.

I remember the abysmal frame-rate on T2 N64 really killing my enthusiasm for the game. So seeing a refreshed version pop up on Steam is pretty exciting.

Sadly I'll likely have to Wishlist it until it's at least 50% off though. $20 is just too much to ask, imo.

jtb

Banned
It is not a roguelike, but a "spaceship simulation roguelike-like" according to Subset Games. I think they nailed it.

I always thought of FTL as a management sim.

I consider FTL to be more of a strategy game than an RPG, but it has elements of it, sure.

Thanks all for the input. Part of its appeal (to me) is how it defies a traditional categorization. Still feels unlike anything else out there.

Ludens

Banned
USF2 is 40€ when the Super SF2 remake on PSN was something like 15€ at launch. And that Way of the Hadou thing is not even worth 1€ to me.

prudislav

Tabata doing "tech test" of Final Fantasy XV with Nvidia 😀
Update March 1, 2017: So, there PCGamesN's Dave James was, geeking out over new graphics cards at the GTX 1080 Ti launch, when up pops Hajime Tabata from Square Enix showing off some PC ‘tech tests' using Nvidia's Gameworks ecosystem which look an awful lot like a PC version of Final Fantasy XV.

”Starting in December last year our FFXV team started conducting a series of tech tests with Nvidia's Gameworks team," said Tabata. ”[This video] shows the current status of our game engine, Luminous Studio Pro, which is made possible by this collaboration with Gameworks."

Maybe we could see it come across and, if it's good, it could bolster our list of the best RPGs on PC.

The demo reel, being shown at GDC today, had the familiar FFXV characters running through beautifully rendered fields, all using Nvidia's TurfEffects tech to allow 100 million blades of grass to interact with the gorgeous FFXV gang running through them.

It also showed the new fluid dynamics and fur Gameworks features which will allow realistic gas, liquid and flame effects as well as kittehs with realistic fluffs. Y'know, for stroking.

”The latest technology that Nvidia offers enables us as game developers to create the possibility which is not simply about an evolution in visual appearance," explained Tabata, ”but also to create new user experiences and greater emotional depth for players. We are going to continue working on some various tech tests so please keep your eyes open for more information coming out from the partnership between Luminous Studio Pro and Nvidia's Gameworks."

When asked if that meant Final Fantasy XV was coming to PC he simply replied with a smiling ”No comment." He was then asked what we had just witnessed in the video. ”Hmm... tech tests."

There was definitely a winking emoji left hanging in the air.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/final-fantasy-xv/final-fantasy-xv-pc-port

So I'm playing Crusader Kings 2, and my viking lord just got rabies and went insane. I now have a full-blown succession crisis, because I wasn't expecting him to leave this world so soon...

I could use some mystics and monks right now.

Mikurden

"No longer linear, not yet open world."

"Backtracking"

"Get ready to lose all this stuff in the sequel"

Thats all I got for now.
What's necessary to make it open world? It seems like "open world" normally refers to 3D worlds, but I don't otherwise really see how the term wouldn't apply to the original Metroid, although I guess maybe it really means having extremely large areas that are free of transitions which load new areas, even though this seems like a fairly minor technical distinction/limitation, rather than a fundamental, structural design choice. In any case, a Metroidvania must be nonlinear, but I don't see why it couldn't also be open world.

In fact, although I'm okay with the term Metroidvania, it seems to me that it's really just a catchy name for nonlinear action-adventure games, although I always thought it was a bit odd that the term was coined at all, and with that name, since the original Zelda is this kind of game and came earlier in the same year, but it seems like a lot of people think it must be a side-scroller. I guess maybe the visual similarity to the very familiar level-based action games combined with the comparatively novel innovation of non-linearity led to the term, but the perspective never seemed very important to me -- I always considered the first Zelda and Metroid to be very similar, genre-defining games.

r3n4ud

So I'm playing Crusader Kings 2, and my viking lord just got rabies and went insane. I now have a full-blown succession crisis, because I wasn't expecting him to leave this world so soon...

Man, hearing people talk about this game for the past few years always made me wanna jump in. The difficulty always scared me away though. Think I'll give it a shot next time it's on sale.

Can Pete (not sure which user this is) or wok or another coder give some guidance in getting the Monkey Bot set up?

I'm not getting the pop-ups on neogaf to put in my info. If you direct me where to edit my user name in the code I can give it a shot.

I remember the abysmal frame-rate on T2 N64 really killing my enthusiasm for the game. So seeing a refreshed version pop up on Steam is pretty exciting.

Sadly I'll likely have to Wishlist it until it's at least 50% off though. $20 is just too much to ask, imo.

The framerate was bad. Even as a kid I said it was bad but, I still had fun with it.

I don't know if Ill get it on release myself.

tumblr_olzyrrjePC1qfig5fo1_1280.jpg

lol

Accoun

Can Pete (not sure which user this is) or wok or another coder give some guidance in getting the Monkey Bot set up?

I'm not getting the pop-ups on neogaf to put in my info. If you direct me where to edit my user name in the code I can give it a shot.

Do you have multiple GAF tabs? Alternately, have you tried restarting the browser? I had some problems with it myself - seems to get a bit lost with multiple tabs. On one hand I somehow managed to get both pop-ups, on the other, it seems to not work afterward. I use uMatrix for Javascript blocking - do I have to enable any JS sources?
Tested on both Pale Moon and Vivaldi.

That delivery is the stuff of nightmares.
Man, hearing people talk about this game for the past few years always made me wanna jump in. The difficulty always scared me away though. Think I'll give it a shot next time it's on sale.

Good luck! It's good timing, because Mystics & Monks releases in, like, a week, so it'll probably have a sale then.

The best place to start, even in vanilla CK2, is in 1066 Ireland. Having a tiny demesne and court will make it start really slow, but give you time to acclimate to the different pillars of rulership (most importantly, managing vassals, armies, succession, and threats). It might take a few tries to get a game really going, but that's all part of how it is played. If you want to grow your demesne in any meaningful sense, you'll need a tenuous grasp on those fundamentals.

And yeah, losing is fun. It's about rolling with the punches. (You know, rabies.) Although I'd recommend against Ironman mode because of the incessant saving.

Also, if you're wondering about expansions and what they offer, there's a handy guide here. Only place I've seen that concisely explains it.

jtb

Banned
I could never get into CK2. Maybe it's because I came to it after being a huge HOI2/EU3/Vicky fan, so it just wasn't something I adjusted to.

zebez

Try changing the localstorage variables as per http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9404813/how-to-view-or-edit-localstorage
These two highlighted variables http://i.imgur.com/o1poPzV.jpg

You could also probably hardcode your api key and steam name directly in the userscript. Then the line 196 and 246 would be relevant:
var steamProfileName = localStorage.getItem("monkeyBot_steamProfileName");
to
var steamProfileName = "YourSteamProfileName";

var apiKey = localStorage.getItem("monkeyBot_steamApiKey");
to
var apiKey = "YourAPIkey";

Graphics aside, i can't believe how RE4 is still holding up so well after 10+ years after original release. Impressively well-designed game, variety of situations and gameplay is just insane. I can't remember any other game that legally allows player to skip boss battles if some of the bosses are really annoying to fight (Chief Mendez was top notch, but fuck this blind guy with large claws, twice). Also, this is type of horror games i absolutely love, where your character is not a defenseless bitch and you can fight with enemies, but it's still very intense and disturbing. Atmosphere and music is just amazing, reminds me Silent Hill 2. I just finished chapter 3-3, and i think this game will probably be in somewhere high in my top 20 favorite games of all time. I knew that RE4 was good game, but playing it episodically is nothing compared to full playthrought. The only problem that i have with this game is very low default FOV, but thank god for PC gaming i can relatively easy change it with Cheat Engine. I wish there is option to change it right in the game menu though.

Aaron D.

LOL. CK2 stories are the best stories.

What Succession Laws are you looking at?

Been ruling for at least 10 years? Maybe you could change them for an emergency solution.

I've found that Tanistry is the most secure choice (Kings/Nobels vote from within your Dynasty). They don't always pick your fave, but you're at least guaranteed to pull from your own blood lineage. Hmm...but I think Tanistry is only available for Celtic cultures.

And yes, Monks & Mystics is going to be glorious. Those sweet, sweet heretic cults. Can't wait to flip the map from predominately Catholic to predominantly Satanic.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Comics, but it looks good.

I would be all over these comic bundles on Humble if they included keys for unlocking the comics on Comixology / Amazon rather than just links to PDF downloads. Humble's app is pretty terrible for managing this type of digital collection, and Google books imports only work on comics that are less than 100MB and even then is only marginally better.

Graphics aside, i can't believe how RE4 is still holding up so well after 10+ years after original release. Impressively well-designed game, variety of situations and gameplay is just insane. I can't remember any other game that legally allows player to skip boss battles if some of the bosses are really annoying to fight (Chief Mendez was top notch, but fuck this blind guy with large claws, twice). Also, this is type of horror games i absolutely love, where your character is not a defenseless bitch and you can fight with enemies, but it's still very intense and disturbing. Atmosphere and music is just amazing, reminds me Silent Hill 2. I just finished chapter 3-3, and i think this game will probably be in somewhere high in my top 20 favorite games of all time. I knew that RE4 was good game, but playing it episodically is nothing compared to full playthrought. The only problem that i have with this game is very low default FOV, but thank god for PC gaming i can relatively easy change it with Cheat Engine. I wish there is option to change it right in the game menu though.

Once that HD texture pack gets finished (after we all day) it will be even better.

Mivey

Some people like to differentiate between games that are metroid-like and games that could be considered metroidvania.
Like for example Axiom Verge is more metroid than -vania and i would consider it a metroid-like while a game like Bloodstained is pure metroidvania.
No, no, no. Bloodstained is an IGA-vania. Please get your nomenclature right. There will be a test on friday.

You could also probably hardcode your api key and steam name directly in the userscript. Then the line 196 and 246 would be relevant:
var steamProfileName = localStorage.getItem("monkeyBot_steamProfileName");
to
var steamProfileName = "YourSteamProfileName";

var apiKey = localStorage.getItem("monkeyBot_steamApiKey");
to
var apiKey = "YourAPIkey";
This worked for me, thank you. I feel so svelte now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
got the true ending in Hollow Knight, and almost 100% completion (97% boo), I never do that type of stuff, usually finishing a game is enough for me. Man this one hit me hard, and for $15 too, good lord.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Thanks to a great contributors NeoGAF MonkeyBot script now looks extra swanky!

89wKa5E.png

https://github.com/petetnt/neogaf-monkeybot

(Sorry for the ads, but outside contributions always deserve the extra push ^^)

Hmmmm has been a while since the app doesnt show me anything. Is there any of the Chrome Extensions for GAF that mess up with this? Maybe there is some stuff I need to remove to make it work. I miss using this.

NeoRaider

So i already got 5€ selling cards from that 1€ BundleStars bundle and i still have few cards left to sell.

Not bad at all if you ask me.

LOL. CK2 stories are the best stories.

What Succession Laws are you looking at?

Been ruling for at least 10 years? Maybe you could change them for an emergency solution.

I've found that Tanistry is the most secure choice (Kings/Nobels vote from within your Dynasty). They don't always pick your fave, but you're at least guaranteed to pull from your own blood lineage. Hmm...but I think Tanistry is only available for Celtic cultures.

And yes, Monks & Mystics is going to be glorious. Those sweet, sweet heretic cults. Can't wait to flip the map from predominately Catholic to predominantly Satanic.

His kingdom is tribal, so it's gavelkind elective IIRC. It'll be his rival half-brother getting the throne, rather than his first son which is how I was planning it. He was groomed and everything; it was just a matter of getting the votes...

I'm totally reforming Norse and making it a full-blown religion, though. Odin will rule the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom