• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanzou

Bought some sweet sweet Steam credit to avoid the incoming CADpocalypse on May 12th. EBGames in Canada sells $50 for $55 CAD which is slightly above Paypal or my credit card's conversion rate, plus I will hopefully dodge the no doubt inevitable addition of 13% tax to prices plus $10 CAD price bumps for new release full price titles.

Care to elaborate on this more? I Bought a $50 card a few months ago when EB was still selling the for $50 based on the rumors that Valve was going to start pricing in CDN dollars and adding tax. Is that happening on Monday or something or are you just getting ahead of the game for if or when it happens?

I bought Rogue Legacy from the Humble sale and started playing earlier. I have died..a lot of times. I could really sink some time into this over the holidays.

I bought the Humble Bundle tier 2 despite owning the games to get the Harvester OST but turns out the OST was already in the game folder anyway, so enjoy. I have been babbling about Harvester a ton lately, so I'd like that you only claim Harvester if you have real intention of playing it please!

Read my "review" here on the Harvester OT
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108654435&postcount=46

ModBot said:
Instructions for PetriP-TNT:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

7th Quest -- MB-58BE169220655E7B - Taken by Evrain
Shadowman -- MB-3F2D37297736D732 - Taken by BorntoPlay
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream -- MB-47789B57893F74F5 - Taken by VikasNarula
Harvester -- MB-3034DD3DA6095769 - Taken by Pakkidis

BorntoPlay

Not a lot of people care about John Gibson's opinions I guess :lol

Next thread I'll make will have the title 'Valve buys Naughty Dog, puts them on Dota 2'

:p

Thought of adding it and the other stuff to the title, but wasn't sure if they would fit. Didn't want to it to turn out like that other thread from today which got cut off lol

Decado

So what versions of DOOM do I need to play the best mods?

Ultimate DOOM and DOOM 3, I suspect, but are the others (DOOM II, FINAL DOOM, DOOM 3 BFG etc.) needed for anything significant?

Levyne

Banned

Ultimate DOOM and DOOM 3, I suspect, but are the others (DOOM II, FINAL DOOM, DOOM 3 BFG etc.) needed for anything significant?

I'm by no means an expert, but I know the answer is NOT the BFG Edition. There might be people in the DOOM community thread that are more well versed.

Sendou

Thought of adding it and the other stuff to the title, but wasn't sure if they would fit. Didn't want to it to turn out like that other thread from today which got cut off lol

I have noticed that if you want to make a more interesting title for your topic it either: a) gets you banned b) gets renamed c) gets locked because people go crazy.

Grief.exe

Doom 3 BFG takes pieces from Id Tech 5 into the engine and ruined mod compatibility.

Not sure if that has changed since release, but you will probably want Doom 3 + Sik mod.

Tenrius

Levyne

Banned
I didn't like Resurrection of Evil. Surprisingly, I actually liked the levels added to the BFG Edition more. But then, as Grief said, you're fighting mod compatibility there.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I didn't like Resurrection of Evil. Surprisingly, I actually liked the levels added to the BFG Edition more. But then, as Grief said, you're fighting mod compatibility there.

I think my brain just broke. The levels added in BFG were lazy and shitty to a degree that even beginning modders can surpass. Whole sections of levels for the main game were pretty much just cut up and glued together in a really blatant fashion.

spode

I'm not sure what you mean by "the best mods" but I would recommend getting "Doom Classic Complete"-package which includes all pre-Doom3 content. I played through Doom1 recently with Chocolate Doom. When it comes to Doom3 I think you just get non-BFG edition and sikkmod.

DogMeat77

I bought the Doom 3 BFG Edition on sale to play with Oculus Rift DK1. I haven't had a chance to do it yet but I guess I should. I never finished it when it the original D3 released so I am looking forward to it. Maybe I'll get it going later tonight.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Care to elaborate on this more? I Bought a $50 card a few months ago when EB was still selling the for $50 based on the rumors that Valve was going to start pricing in CDN dollars and adding tax. Is that happening on Monday or something or are you just getting ahead of the game for if or when it happens?

$50 for $50 became $50 for $55 a month or two ago when EB started moving new release full price games to $64 and $69.

Valve is introducing 12 new currencies on Monday. I have confirmation from this because developers were contacted about it. The Steam Dev Days listed CAD as an upcoming currency. I have separately confirmed that CAD is one of the 12 currencies. I have no idea how the introduction process or conversion is going to work, so I'm just speculating and hedging my risk by buying in advance in case the currency changeover hurts us.

How does tax on digital goods work in Canada Stump? For Europe, store prices are always final prices. Valve used to supply a breakdown as to what was to be paid as VAT but stopped supplying that info around mid 2011.

Most European countries have tax-included pricing. Neither Canada nor the US do (Canada moved to implemented it in the late 90s when embarking on a policy process of harmonizing sales tax across the country, but the process ultimately failed and those provinces that did adopt harmonized sales tax did not adopt tax-included pricing).

In Canada, there's a 5% federal sales tax, plus taxes on a per-province basis which range from 0% (Alberta) to ~10% (Quebec). Essential items like fresh food, baby supplies, etc are exempt from some or all of sales tax, and this also varies. Digital games are not exempt from sales tax.

Firms that are not located in Canada have no tax obligation to Canadian tax authorities, and thus do not charge taxes. For example, I can buy goods on Amazon.com and not pay taxes. If I buy goods on Amazon.ca, I do pay taxes. Steam does not charge sales tax. Microsoft does. Nintendo does. Sony I think uses USD pricing and thus does not, but I'm not sure? Maybe? I believe tax law requires Canadians who purchase stuff and do not pay tax to report those purchases to Revenue Canada; I know many American states have comparable laws. I think compliance is relatively low because no one keeps track of stuff.

Right now if you are a Canadian buying on Steam, you pay a US Dollar price. Same price as US. Because the Canadian dollar is currently worth around 88-90 cents on the American dollar, conversion will cost money. A $50 USD game on Steam would cost me around $55 CAD. My credit card or Paypal would do the conversion, add on a small fee, and charge me in CAD. Steam gift cards are available at EBGames, but since Steam does not support CAD, they redeem for USD. A $50 USD gift card in Canada costs $55 CAD right now.

Steam is introducing a number of currencies on Monday. One of them is Canadian dollars. I believe it is highly likely that this will bring with it some sort of domestic presence and tax obligation. If it does, I will effectively pay 13% higher per purchase based on my province's tax rate. If it doesn't, no harm no foul--except that developers will set their prices in CAD. Because of psychological pricing strategies (IE prices ending in .49 or .99, for example), it is highly unlikely that publishers are going to make their $50 or $60 USD games the exact equivalents in CAD. What's more likely is that $60 USD games will sell for $70 CAD, which even without the tax gives us worse pricing, like in Australia. Of course it's also possible that developers and publishers who do not realize the exchange rate or pay close attention will either not enter a price, resulting in their games no longer being available, or enter a 1:1 price, resulting in a lower price for me and less money for them.

Because of this, I bought some Steam gift cards in advance so I can build up a good USD balance on Steam. If the CAD price introduction hurts me, I'll have to spend through my USD balance first and avoid the harm. I'm moving to America in a few months anyway. If the CAD price introduction doesn't hurt me, then it's no big loss. And if they convert my USD balance to CAD, it'll presumably work at worst neutral and more likely in my favour during the conversion.

Tizoc

$50 for $50 became $50 for $55 a month or two ago when EB started moving new release full price games to $64 and $69.

Valve is introducing 12 new currencies on Monday. I have confirmation from this because developers were contacted about it. The Steam Dev Days listed CAD as an upcoming currency. I have separately confirmed that CAD is one of the 12 currencies. I have no idea how the introduction process or conversion is going to work, so I'm just speculating and hedging my risk by buying in advance in case the currency changeover hurts us.

What are the new currencies if you don't mind me asking? Will they change the currency for some regions/countries?

Are we expecting one anytime soon?

We're nearing June so the Summer Sale is coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom