• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
old?

Indie Royale ‏@indieroyale 3h
For anybody that bought the Debut 7 bundle Steam keys are now available for Al Elmo..Mine.

and it has cards

fallout

Okay, rant over
Thanks for posting this.

I don't think it's some kind of requirement for consumers to understand the economics of their environment when making purchasing decisions. However, if you're going to complain about it, at least try to understand that the situation might be more complicated than: "They're a bunch of crooks!"

Tizoc

And that means what exactly? The game never even came out in the U.S. for its original platform (Xbox). Why would a Steam release suddenly materialize? Very few people have even heard of the game. I really want it to happen, but unless you know something and are just being coy, I have to think you're really grasping at straws here.

Edit: Please tell me you know something and you're just being coy. I really, really, really want Metal Wolf Chaos.

Nah I'm just venting that it hasn't gotten an HD re-release, and it's the one mecha game I really want to play as I don't have an Xbox.

sheaaaa

Why not just not release their games on iOS if the market is that way? Regardless of the reason, it doesn't come across well when a game is priced differently on two different platforms, with little or even nothing added. I think consumers are perfectly right to feel ripped off if something costs double or triple the price on Steam.

Quantum

this might be a dumb question, but how do I tell how many steam games I have?

- I've noticed the number changes almost daily under the tab library (all games) - the range is always within 1% of total owned but it can change from 1036 - 1029,

is it free to play things?

Grief.exe

Why not just not release their games on iOS if the market is that way?

Interesting sentence structure.

You have to asses the situation from a very small development team. They see the mobile platform as a place with a easy development pipeline, easy to get on the marketplace, and the earning potential is massive.

It would be impossible to develop on two platforms simultaneously and they aren't just going to throw away their work.

sheaaaa

You have to asses the situation from a very small development team. They see the mobile platform as a place with a easy development pipeline, easy to get on the marketplace, and the earning potential is massive.

It would be impossible to develop on two platforms simultaneously and they aren't just going to throw away their work.

The earning potential is massive, but how many indie developers making small, complete games are actually succeeding?

Given how many of these indie games live and die by word of mouth, it doesn't make sense to me to potentially turn off your PC audience by, first, making an iOS to PC port, which in itself already turns many off your game, and then making it more expensive.

Grief.exe

The earning potential is massive, but how many indie developers making small, complete games are actually succeeding?

Given how many of these indie games live and die by word of mouth, it doesn't make sense to me to potentially turn off your PC audience by, first, making an iOS to PC port, which in itself already turns many off your game, and then making it more expensive.

It is true that very few developers actually find success on the iOS platform. Many are buried by a stream of garbage. Steam is going down a similar path currently.

It's a completely different market on PC. The total consumer base is smaller, and the prices aren't a race to the bottom to garner attention.

They could price the port at the same price as the iOS release, but then they might lose money overall. As long as the game is reasonably priced, in the $5-10 range then it is acceptable.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Having 100%ed Tiny Thief on both IOS and Steam, I don't think the game deserves a sub 5$ price on either platform, but they were stretching it with the 15$ starting price. A game with that amount of content shouldn't be more than 10$ msrp.

Skyzard

Banned
Shadow Warrior is amazing!

I knew the Hard Reset guys wouldn't disappoint. Really fun gameplay (just jumped into survival mode).

I'm playing arcade and survival modes in games more than I play campaigns these days...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Shadow Warrior is amazing!

I knew the Hard Reset guys wouldn't disappoint. Really fun gameplay (just jumped into survival mode).

I'm playing arcade and survival modes in games more than I play campaigns these days...
I thought Shadow Warrior went on just a bit too long, but they are still 3/3 in my book (the Hard Reset DLC counts and was baller).

Tizoc

Transistor for $16.8 ain't so bad via key trading....and done, got my game and repped the guy I traded with =)

Copons

Should be worth saying that the vast majority of game dev tools allow multi platform / os exports, and usually the issues are more on the mobile front (memory limitations and such) than on pc. I guess a dev shoul just pay the right attention to different controls and that's basically it.
Of course if they write all the code from scratch is another pair of hands, but in that case I guess they should have a more structured and expert team behind, making it still kind of easy (well, at least easier) to port to other platforms.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
MUDADA!
Will hold out til GMG offers me another 25% discount code and then I'll drop all my GMG credit before its release...

The new GMG trend is to not allow you to spend your earned credits in conjuction with 25% coupons

Dr Dogg

Just noticed Deep Silver's comical Killer is Dead pricing of 17.99 across the board. Thankfully they're not up to there usually shenanigans so I'll take 6 keys thanks!

Lomax

Hope any of you didn't have a large stock of dota 2 keys like me. Valve just added chests that don't require a key to open, causing the Great Treasure Key Crash of 2014.

Does that mean now is the time to buy? I'm sure they won't stay permanently as low as the initial panic sell off, but is this a fundamental enough change that they'll never come back up to parity with TF2 keys?

Khronico

Never thought I would see the day that I Shall Remain would make it to Steam. The game was abandoned by the developers almost a year ago. Hopefully they follow through with all the lofty ideas they had for the game, although I kinda doubt it.

Sky Chief

I thought Shadow Warrior went on just a bit too long, but they are still 3/3 in my book (the Hard Reset DLC counts and was baller).

I bought this on the Humble Bundle Yesterday and it recommended to use a Torrent to download it for faster speed and less chance of corruption. What in the fuck, it is downloading at like 10kB/s but I am uploading at like 500kB/s. After almost 12 hours of downloading it still says I have five days to download.

derExperte

Locust

Does that mean now is the time to buy? I'm sure they won't stay permanently as low as the initial panic sell off, but is this a fundamental enough change that they'll never come back up to parity with TF2 keys?

It could go either way depending on if Valve adds new crates for them later, it's a gamble at this point.

Strider was the first (Trails Fusion being the second) to hit me with the "Yeah, you need a DX11 card" message.

Luckily Strider was through Family Sharing, and Trials was a demo, but I guess more stuff will require DX11 with the shift in tech within consoles. I just won't have upgrade money anytime soon so I hope I'm not locked out of too much.

PriitV

Just saw a bud messing around with Project CARS (including debug stuff and screenshot tool).

WANT. NOW.

It's pretty great :)
ljgzga.png

Sky Chief

I bought this on the Humble Bundle Yesterday and it recommended to use a Torrent to download it for faster speed and less chance of corruption. What in the fuck, it is downloading at like 10kB/s but I am uploading at like 500kB/s. After almost 12 hours of downloading it still says I have five days to download.

Am I doing something wrong? I tried downloading Slackware and got 1.5-2.0MB/s. Why is downloading Shadow Warrior so fucking slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom