• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Hey you guys, any ideas on which leaves a bigger cut to the devs, Steam or Humble Widget? I'm specifically thinking about Transistor, since Supergiant sells that through the humble widget as well as Steam. I bought it from their site through the widget because the Steam €uro price is shitty in comparison, but I'm curious which of the options would have been more beneficial to Supergiant.

Grabbed both just now, thanks for the heads up.
Sucks that I can't use amazon payments as an option in the store though.

Hey you guys, any ideas on which leaves a bigger cut to the devs, Steam or Humble Widget? I'm specifically thinking about Transistor, since Supergiant sells that through the humble widget as well as Steam. I bought it from their site through the widget because the Steam €uro price is shitty in comparison, but I'm curious which of the options would have been more beneficial to Supergiant.

I think Humble (widget, not sure about store) takes a 10% cut, Steam 30%. Unless something changed recently

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I'm thinking of getting either Psychonauts or The Novelist.

What kind of game is The Novelist?

I own it but I haven't played it yet.

I think it's pretty similar to Gone Home. You play as a spirit and walk around a home, you try to uncover the novelist's family secrets and relationships with each other by possessing them, overhearing conversations etc. I think it was pretty well received so it may be worth a look at that price

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

That can be a hard one to answer, really. The best I can say is that it depends

In terms of giving Supergiant the most amount of money from your purchase, Humble Widget. I believe last time they released numbers, Humble takes only about 3% to 5% versus Steam's 30%. Valve doesn't charge for Steam keys, so when you compare the two, the developer gets a lot more of the sale.

However: there is a lot to be said of presence on the Steam store, including being in the best sellers section, which only counts sales on Steam and not key activations. So, in reality, you want a mix: enough sales through humble to get that extra %, but enough sales on Steam to keep you in the top sellers.

Tizoc

2F2CA4891B804D704A43C374CB904BD7FD53493C

I suck at Blade Symphony..

Arthea

I own it but I haven't played it yet.

I think it's pretty similar to Gone Home. You play as a spirit and walk around a home, you try to uncover the novelist's family secrets and relationships with each other by possessing them, overhearing conversations etc. I think it was pretty well received so it may be worth a look at that price

If it's anything like Gone Home, that's one less game in my backlog and no need to play it too.

Who wants a Steam gift
and a friend
?

*Note: It's Portal 2: The Final Hours (book), not Portal 2 the game.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam gifts. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Portal 2 -- MB-72F46281C81BDE72 - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 9 entrants total.
Gun Monkeys -- MB-32630469E653EB28
Aerena -- MB-A73F46D34936FD5E
Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut -- MB-284F639F229C877C - Taken by Vlad. 18 entrants total.
Legendary -- MB-5EE2EC71031D6BCA - Taken by PetriP-TNT. 5 entrants total.

t1399917316z1.png

louiedog

In terms of giving Supergiant the most amount of money from your purchase, Humble Widget. I believe last time they released numbers, Humble takes only about 3% to 5% versus Steam's 30%. Valve doesn't charge for Steam keys, so when you compare the two, the developer gets a lot more of the sale.

However: there is a lot to be said of presence on the Steam store, including being in the best sellers section, which only counts sales on Steam and not key activations. So, in reality, you want a mix: enough sales through humble to get that extra %, but enough to keep you in the top sellers.

Good answer. The last time I checked it was 95% that goes to the dev from the Humble Widget (and 75% in the Humble Store after 10%/15% charity/store cut).

I have seen devs say via twitter, and I'm paraphrasing, "please buy the game on steam even though we get a better cut directly on our page because we want to be more visible on Steam."

HoosTrax

2F2CA4891B804D704A43C374CB904BD7FD53493C

I suck at Blade Symphony..
Yikes...the texture work in that game is really a mixed bag.

Good answer. The last time I checked it was 95% that goes to the dev from the Humble Widget (and 75% in the Humble Store after 10%/15% charity/store cut).

I have seen devs say, and I'm paraphrasing, "please buy the game on twitter even though we get a better cut directly on our page because we want to be more visible on Steam."
Probably even more so now, after Valve changed the main page so that the Top Sellers page is the default tab displayed instead of New Releases.

MUnited83

For you.

I have seen devs say, and I'm paraphrasing, "please buy the game on twitter even though we get a better cut directly on our page because we want to be more visible on Steam."

How do I exactly buy games on twitter? :p

Gone Home is the first mainstream indie game in years to actually have something to say.

Macklemore-Laughing.gif

Parsnip

However: there is a lot to be said of presence on the Steam store, including being in the best sellers section, which only counts sales on Steam and not key activations. So, in reality, you want a mix: enough sales through humble to get that extra %, but enough sales on Steam to keep you in the top sellers.

Makes sense.

It's a shame then that their regional Steam prices are what they are.

Vuze

Hm, I hope this is enough for Playfire to register (appid game is displayed in the overlay), can't get the fake game name to show up as the game I'm currently playing. Will see in the coming days.

Tizoc

Ugh I hate it when my DS4 doesn't work with some games =_=
Yesterday Strike Suit Zero ran fine with my DS4. Now the buttons are incorrectly mapped doesn't matter if I have 'Hide DS4' on or off either, as that doesn't fix it.

Dr Dogg

Sorta random question, but where can I edit the whitelist for GeDoSaTo? I want to try adding Bound By Flame to it.

Assets folder and there's a whitelist and blacklist set of .txt files there.

Edit: May as well put this here. What I do at first is run GeDoSaTo with Blacklist checked to see it the game works if it does i then look under running processes to grab the .exe file name to add to the Whitelist. I also keep a list of compatibility and any issues with certain games and such. Also if you find a program goes nuts under Blacklist, like opening Chrome with GeDoSaTo running, add it to the list to stop it happening again in the future.

Grief.exe

Ugh I hate it when my DS4 doesn't work with some games =_=
Yesterday Strike Suit Zero ran fine with my DS4. Now the buttons are incorrectly mapped doesn't matter if I have 'Hide DS4' on or off either, as that doesn't fix it.

Your computer is seeing the Direct Input version for whatever reason, what you are experiencing is a clear tell. Seem issue happens to Dark Souls II when people don't have the 'hide DS4' selected.

Restart your computer and try again, check out your Hardware and Printers section of your control panel to make sure there is no issues there.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wow @ Frontlines™: Fuel of War™

I think that was the last PC game I ever got on disc.

I believe the last PC game I bought on disc without the intention of just using the key to add the game to a DD account was Gears of War in December 2007. Also, thanks to sales and later trading, the last game I'd bought on Steam at full price was Kingdoms of Amalur but, as of about 12 or so hours ago, is now Watch Dogs' DDE.

JaseC

Hm, I hope this is enough for Playfire to register (appid game is displayed in the overlay), can't get the fake game name to show up as the game I'm currently playing. Will see in the coming days.

For the trick to work the game needs to use CEG/"Steam DRM" -- anything that demands the presence of the client, basically (Valve's own games being the most obvious examples). I use Age 2 HD's launcher myself.

Edit: I should also add that Steamworks integration isn't necessarily indicative of CEG as even such games can be DRM-free (e.g. Divinity: Dragon Commander), although, naturally, you lose Steamworks features if you opt to launch the game outside of the client.

mmitt

just got a nvidia 3d vision 2 kit for really cheap, figured why the hell not :)

does anyone have some recommendations for games which work well with it?
tried a bit of Batman: AC, that one looks quite nice

Dr Dogg

I believe the last PC game I bought on disc without the intention of just using the key to add the game to a DD account was Gears of War in December 2007. Also, thanks to sales and later trading, the last game I'd bought on Steam at full price was Kingdoms of Amalur but, as of about 12 or so hours ago, is now Watch Dogs' DDE.

The anticipation of checklists is too much to resist! I just wish the 27th would bloody hurry up.

Also another avatar change? I swear you going for some Noah Kalina style performance art piece now. A Saoirse avatar a week for 12.5 years.

There's a great list on the GeForce forums with games that work really well and have 3D friendly cursors and UI elements. It's a bit old but still has a lot of good games on there. Never tried City as it was a bit of a hassle keeping a good framerate for my without 3D at the time I played it but Asylum was fantastic and had unlocked convergence so,you could tweak the effect properly.

Give us a tic and I'll dig you out a link or two.

JaseC

The anticipation of checklists is too much to resist! I just wish the 27th would bloody hurry up.

On that front I think Wolf14 will lead nicely into Watch Dogs, and in the meantime I still have Child of Light and Anno 1404 to waste time with, to say nothing of the other games that are sitting in my backlog (hi South Park).

Also another avatar change? I swear you going for some Noah Kahlina style performance art piece now. A Saoirse avatar a week for 12.5 years.

It'd been a week! ;) How to Catch a Monster/Lost River premieres at Cannes in a week so that's a nice coinkydink.

nexen

Just Cause 2
Batman: AA, (probably AO)
Tomb Raider
Battlefield: BC2, BF3 (probably BF4)

DocSeuss

Get Killer is Dead!

I know nothing about it at all? D:

Care to explain how these surveys work and where I can find them? I'd love me a legit way to earn some steam cash but I don't bother much with survey sites since most of them are scams

I've been doing them on e-rewards. I think I got an invitation as a result of shopping at Best Buy, of all places. I also use Bing rewards, since they do Gamestop now.

Tizoc

Your computer is seeing the Direct Input version for whatever reason, what you are experiencing is a clear tell. Seem issue happens to Dark Souls II when people don't have the 'hide DS4' selected.

Restart your computer and try again, check out your Hardware and Printers section of your control panel to make sure there is no issues there.

Actually I figured a fix of such.
1- Disconnect PS4 Controller
2- Turn on Steam
3- Turn on DS4Tool, disable Hide DS4 and THen connect DS4 controller
4- Turn on hide DS4 and the controller will be recognized normally

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Where do I get my key?

I have looked at my account and Steam, but there's no redeem key.

Dropdown arrow next to your email address in the top right of the Humble page -> Your library -> Humble Simulator Weekly Sale -> Click here for your Steam keys -> Redeem

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dear customer,

Meridian4 is solely responsible for Iron Storm on Steam. We do not receive any financial compensation from other distributors, only Steam. However, in the spirit of good customer service (and hopefully a Facebook Like) below is a Steam Key for Iron Storm.

Key:XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Thank you,

well, now I feel kinda bad :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom