• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah I'm really looking forward to it. I finished up DkS1 a week or two ago, and am totally in the mood for more, which seems like an okay way to approach 2.

You may have convinced me to play a girl character as well, especially after playing as this blue haired menace in the last game:
x2zsEcH.jpg

Either way, I'm stoked to get into 2.
yipes

as long as i'm pushing people away from the clowns and the shreks i'm fine, no need for it to be a girl

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Even for the 1st two? There's no mention of Uplay. just Tagés.

I think the first two came out before uPlay officially existed. Could be wrong on that, though.

Anyway, always assume uPlay. Only Amazon can score Steam keys for Ubisoft games with any regularity.

Levyne

Banned
Wrong thread to ask this, but I stick with Steam for all PC gaming discussion.

I didn't enjoy Demon Souls at all. I've never played the first Dark Souls. I typically suck at very difficult games, but don't mind grinding up slowly to reach god mode.

Should I even consider getting Dark Souls 2? Should I start out with Dark Souls instead? Do you need to play the previous installment to understand what is going on? Am I too big of a wuss to enjoy the series?

If you didn't enjoy Demon's Souls at all because of the difficulty, I would say Dark Souls 2 is the best of the two other options. It actually does share more similarities with Demon's when it comes to world structure and level progression, but gameplay wise it's probably the most forgiving. I felt it was the easiest title to regain humanity, not being shackled to GWFL makes summoning and being summoned a very easy thing to take part it, which is both useful for taking down tough bosses as well as just being incredibly fun in general. I also felt like the weapon upgrading and general gear organization was a lot more streamlined in this one (a lot less jumping from menu to menu and blacksmith to blacksmith).

It doesn't hurt that Dark Souls 2 is very popular at the moment so that both gives you an audience for questions, comments, and impressions, as well have a large pool of potential allies to summon.

Benedict

Made a quick £0.80 on Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut on Playfire rewards, so I already retrieved about 1€ on what I paid for it, bringing it down to 1.70€

Got one Steam Trading card for now, which is sold for 0.2€ in the marketplace. two card drops remaining.

Anteater

I might be the only person who found dark souls 2 harder than 1, only beat like 3 bosses so far though, but I had no problem going through half of dark souls 1 as slvl1 (stopped at O&S), while I'm having difficulty even just dodging attacks in 2, keep getting hit when I clearly dodged the attacks half of the time and my character is like lvl 30+ :(

Dr Dogg

Assassin's Creed II is the progenitor of uPlay integration so will deffo come with that.

Speaking of UbiSoft I've just got in and popped the TV on and boom up pops a Watch_Dogs trailer that is prerendered from start to finish with the tiniest "not actual footage" disclaimer I've seen.

didamangi

I might be the only person who found dark souls 2 harder than 1, only beat like 3 bosses so far though, but I had no problem going through half of dark souls 1 as slvl1 (stopped at O&S), while I'm having difficulty even just dodging attacks in 2, keep getting hit when I clearly dodged the attacks half of the time and my character is like lvl 30+ :(

Did you raise your Adaptability level? I raised it to get my agility to 95 and I can dodge pretty consistently like DS1, before that it felt kinda weird and I can't dodge consistently.

zkylon

zkylewd

maybe it's cos you were pretty good at dks1 so adapting to the changes was harder?

with a few exceptions dks2 has been pretty easy so far, at least for like a pve souls veteran like me (even tho i'm not even close to good at these games and i've unfortunately spent very little time experimenting), and i still have trouble starting over in demon's souls even after making it to allant on ng+ and getting to ng++ on dks1.

Anteater

Did you raise your Adaptability level? I raised it to get my agility to 95 and I can dodge pretty consistently like DS1, before that it felt kinda weird and I can't dodge consistently.

I raised it to around lvl20 from the last boss I think, still feels a bit weird, but I guess it's just something I'll get used to, it just feels like the game is a lot more demanding.

maybe it's cos you were pretty good at dks1 so adapting to the changes was harder?

with a few exceptions dks2 has been pretty easy so far, at least for like a veteran, and i still have trouble starting over in demon's souls even after making it to allant on ng+ and getting to ng++ on dks1.

I wasn't actually good on dark souls 1, heck I don't know a lot of stuff you guys talk about lol, but that game and the structure felt much less demanding.

I don't know if it's harder for me, but the dodging in this feels completely different. Part of that is that they changed a lot of the telegraphing of attacks that enemies. They seem to telegraph the same for each attack, whereas in DS1, certain wind-ups were clearly downward slashes while others were horizontal.

Those
1-shot mobs in the Lost Bastille that bell-flop all of your stamina or half of your HP away
killed me more times that anything so far, bosses included. I just couldn't seem to get their timing at all.

DocSeuss

I was gonna buy Wolfenstein TNO with some Steam money I'd earned doing surveys and stuff (gamestop ---> steam gift card), but someone unexpectedly gifted me a copy of the game. Have $40 now, and no significant reason to wait.

I was looking at picking up Van Helsing 2, since the first game's surprisingly enjoyable, though that'd leave me with $27. Any other recommendations on how to best spend it?

didamangi

I raised it to around lvl20 from the last boss I think, still feels a bit weird, but I guess it's just something I'll get used to, it just feels like the game is a lot more demanding.

Just wiki it quick and ADP apparently raises your roll invincibility frames, so yeah didn't know that.

Although I've noticed some enemies do have weird timing on their combo attack, to throw off the players most likely, so watch for delayed attacks on their combos.

I was gonna buy Wolfenstein TNO with some Steam money I'd earned doing surveys and stuff (gamestop ---> steam gift card), but someone unexpectedly gifted me a copy of the game. Have $40 now, and no significant reason to wait.

I was looking at picking up Van Helsing 2, since the first game's surprisingly enjoyable, though that'd leave me with $27. Any other recommendations on how to best spend it?

Transistor and/or Killer is Dead?

aku:jiki

Current deal on IndieGameStand is an uglier but still okay-looking Binding of Isaac clone for $1. It looks like a much closer clone than all of the other games inspired by Isaac, so I'm gonna give it a shot.

The BTA is just some in-game consumable so screw that.
Will you post some opinions if you try it out? I'm curious if it's a good enough clone to be worth the time. Would be nice to have something to tide me over until Rebirth.
I just did two runs. It's a pretty shameless Isaac clone, even down to some room layouts, but that's what I was looking for so that part is fine. The controls work, but are a little sloppy; movement doesn't feel as precise as it does in Isaac, though it's not terrible either. You explore a randomly put-together dungeon and it seems to have the exact same structure of one item room, one shop and one boss per level. There are also arcades that are more fun than Isaac's, with little carnival type games like a shooting gallery. They were also very easy from what I saw, leading to lots of easy money.

The unique feature, or the only one I saw, was that you do more damage per shot and have a much lower rate of fire than Isaac, with mandatory reloads after every 5 shots. A little more precision rather than spraying; sort of like playing Isaac with Polyphemus equipped. This is the worst part of the game as it's frustratingly stressful to be stuck reloading when there's a room with like 10 enemies in it and destroying bushes (equivalent of fires/poop) is a chore when you have to reload twice to destroy some of them. Another difference is that spacebar items don't recharge over time. Instead, you have to find crystals which are random drops. Kind of annoying change that makes your spacebar item much less reliable...

Every item I found both in shops and item rooms was a weapon upgrade (which are bullet upgrades in various forms, just like Isaac), but I presume there are other things. A little disappointed that the sweet shotgun I found just gave me a slightly larger bullet and rate of fire and wasn't an actual shotgun, so maybe they should style the bullet upgrades in another way to avoid that. Fake edit: I played one more run and found armor and a loot crate spacebar item. It says it drops "items" but it only dropped consumables for me, so boo to that.

All in all, I'd say it's not worth playing right now due to the somewhat frustrating reloading thing and seemingly dull items, but I would say it's worth the gamble of a dollar in the hopes that it improves and comes out on Steam.

I just got a 7 day trade suspension for logging on a "new" device... The same computer and browser I've been using the past year or so while trying to trade for Unreal Deal Pack. Damnit Valve. I have Steamguard on so it would have been noticeable if someone was attempting to log onto my account so I have no idea what the issue is. :(

Anteater

I don't know if it's harder for me, but the dodging in this feels completely different. Part of that is that they changed a lot of the telegraphing of attacks that enemies. They seem to telegraph the same for each attack, whereas in DS1, certain wind-ups were clearly downward slashes while others were horizontal.

Those
1-shot mobs in the Lost Bastille that bell-flop all of your stamina or half of your HP away
killed me more times that anything so far, bosses included. I just couldn't seem to get their timing at all.

Yea the enemy attacks and patterns are much harder to predict, at least for me, they seem to have a lot of wide range attacks and attacks that will keep you away from approaching them from the back in mid combos. Those horizontal swipes hit me all the time ):

DocSeuss

One potential is that I just wait for the summer sale, earning a bit more money, and maybe I'll be able to get Watch Dogs.

Transistor and/or Killer is Dead?

Bastion's gameplay kinda sucked a lot, though, and I'm not entirely sure I enjoy Japanese games all that much.

I just did two runs. It's a pretty shameless Isaac clone, even down to some room layouts, but that's what I was looking for so that part is fine. The controls work, but are a little sloppy; movement doesn't feel as precise as it does in Isaac, though it's not terrible either. You explore a randomly put-together dungeon and it seems to have the exact same structure of one item room, one shop and one boss per level. There are also arcades that are more fun than Isaac's, with little carnival type games like a shooting gallery. They were also very easy from what I saw, leading to lots of easy money.

The unique feature, or the only one I saw, was that you do more damage per shot and have a much lower rate of fire than Isaac, with mandatory reloads after every 5 shots. A little more precision rather than spraying; sort of like playing Isaac with Polyphemus equipped. This is the worst part of the game as it's frustratingly stressful to be stuck reloading when there's a room with like 10 enemies in it and destroying bushes (equivalent of fires/poop) is a chore when you have to reload twice to destroy some of them. Another difference is that spacebar items don't recharge over time. Instead, you have to find crystals which are random drops. Kind of annoying change that makes your spacebar item much less reliable...

Every item I found both in shops and item rooms was a weapon upgrade (which are bullet upgrades in various forms, just like Isaac), but I presume there are other things. A little disappointed that the sweet shotgun I found just gave me a slightly larger bullet and rate of fire and wasn't an actual shotgun, so maybe they should style the bullet upgrades in another way to avoid that. Fake edit: I played one more run and found armor and a loot crate spacebar item. It says it drops "items" but it only dropped consumables for me, so boo to that.

All in all, I'd say it's not worth playing right now due to the somewhat frustrating reloading thing and seemingly dull items, but I would say it's worth the gamble of a dollar in the hopes that it improves and comes out on Steam.
About it being a clone, I think the dev made a good point on Reddit
I totally understand asking that question. For me personally I've played 100s of hours of BoI, unlocked most items and beaten every boss several times. I really love the gameplay but I've played through most of the content.
So when I set out to make a game I asked myself: what I would like to play? The answer was more BoI... but I want it set in a different universe, with real guns and scifi themes.
The other thing that's different is I'm adding a local versus mode where player 2 can control the enemies using the mouse.
I don't see why the BoI gameplay can't turn into a genre of it's own. When Quake was a big hit every FPS was called a "quake clone" until FPS just became a genre.
I kind of agree with him.

zkylon

zkylewd
I wasn't actually good on dark souls 1, heck I don't know a lot of stuff you guys talk about lol, but that game and the structure felt much less demanding.
oh you humble you

i mean you got half the game on sl1 so you must be doing something right?

i think i got up to the gargoyles on sl1, and killed pinwheel also. i hate gargoyles in every single souls game, felt so good to manhandle them in ng+

Arthea

When for getting a steam key for some game from a bundle you need to e-mail proof, what is considered proof? It never was clear to me.

Anteater

oh you humble you

i mean you got half the game on sl1 so you must be doing something right?

i think i got up to the gargoyles on sl1, and killed pinwheel also. i hate gargoyles in every single souls game, felt so good to manhandle them in ng+

roll and attack, lol, man I get my ass kicked online because that's all I was able to do other than throwing bombs as my secondary attack :V

AHA-Lambda

Remind me, Transistor isn't region locked right?

And there is no blowback for me if I do a trade for the game with someone, if they presumably got it from Russia?

didamangi

And there is no blowback for me if I do a trade for the game with someone, if they presumably got it from Russia?

Nope to both. And if they're selling it below US price, they're getting it from Russia/Ukraine/Brazil for sure.

rtcn63

I didn't find Baston's world or combat compelling at all. I tried, put like an hour or two into the game, but I just didn't desire to flog it.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Following is going on the psych profiles I'm working on for gaffers here:

Hates Bastion
Likes Serious Sam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
When for getting a steam key for some game from a bundle you need to e-mail proof, what is considered proof? It never was clear to me.

Either the confirmation e-mail from the bundle site or the PayPal receipt if the bundle name is mentioned in/as the product name. You should be able to save the e-mails as HTML files which you can then add as attachments, although you'll want to edit out any personal or insecure information (e.g. when I requested Steam keys for Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land for Indie Gala gift purchases I'd forgotten about, I edited out the last five or so characters of the gift URLs as unlike profile pages it's not possible to password-protect gift pages).

I didn't find Baston's world or combat compelling at all. I tried, put like an hour or two into the game, but I just didn't desire to flog it.

Bastion was the first game I played when I bought a GTX 570 almost three years ago now.

I've still yet to finish it. But I'll get there eventually maybe probably.

Zafir

Not if the sub isn't a russian one.

The usual advisories still stand, where gifts can be revoked. For example if they were bought with a stolen credit card etc. So make sure you choose someone with some rep.

Tizoc

Get Killer is Dead!

zkylon

zkylewd
roll and attack, lol, man I get my ass kicked online because that's all I was able to do other than throwing bombs as my secondary attack :V
i'm doing surprisingly well on duels in dks2, tho still getting lagstabbed every now and then

people spamming like poison hexes can go die in a fire tho, so annoying

Anteater

I haven't beaten it yet but I dig the controls, I found it responsive and was very fun. Stopped playing a few hours though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom