• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought Dreadout, hopefully I can get through it. Been a wimp lately, couldn't finish Outlast :D Think the first person/being chased constantly is something that I just can't handle well alone.

Plus I've finished every Fatal Frame game so I should be fine.

Anteater

I can play survival horror back then because it was fresh at the time and I was extremely curious of the plot of some of those games, nowadays not so much, I know I don't care about the premise and the characters and I'm in it just for the scares, ever since I have that mindset I started staying away from them.

rtcn63

When I was younger, scary things drove me to the depths of madness. I used to share a room with my older brother, and he bought Resident Evil for the Saturn. I watched the "zombie face turn around" scene at the beginning, and proceeded to enter a perpetual state of paranoia and fear that near consumed me. I was the sort who when the commercial for a horror movie came on, I'd mute and turn my head to the wall, afraid of catching an audio/visual glimpse. I would have horrible nightmares.

Now I've become so desensitized that I can't even enjoy horror games much.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
that far cry 4 announcement is the most anticlimatic thing ive seen in a while

I think they can't avoid announcing it because of the earnings call being public, but the real reveal of it will prolly be at E3. And it will prolly be great because Ubi conferences are actually fun and have Aisha.

Kaleinc

Banned
why am I scared of horror games at 35 when I had no problem with them when I was a kid :(
xnZ4QJm.jpg

This stuff didn't exist 20 years ago.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Skyborn makes a great first impression. Great looks, battle system has a nifty threat system going on, written isnt terrible... this is a rpgmaker game correct?

The Forest with the Oculus Rift will be the death of me, as I decided to keep my first kit rather than sell it. Will still upgrade some time soon though, looking for a new job this weekend so hopefully I'll be able to spare the cash within a few months.

I get that they were doing financial stuff, but at the same time there have been a few of these weird announcements lately. It's like companies don't realize that E3 is in like 3 weeks. The Pokemon remake thing for 3DS got announced with just boxart as well. The silliest part is a bunch of nostradamuses in the FC4 thread saying "I bet we'll see this at E3".

No way guys.

Also from here on out it is called '4 Cry'.

And all they had to do was fix the shitty respawning bases in far cry 2 and let the rest be. Instead, they also sprinkled in some asscreed and then made the protagonist the person I hated the most in that game.

I would've totally been for the narrative just being real, real stupid. The intro with paper planes and the yuppy college kids getting theirs was kind of the best thing that happened in that story.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Did anyone mention the new Blink bundle yet?

$1.99
  • SOL: Exodus
  • 1000 Amps
  • Escape Goat
  • Mystery Game
$4.99
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Steam Bandits: Outpost
  • Demolition Inc
  • Overcast - Walen and the Werewolf
  • Space Giraffe
  • 2 Mystery games

def sim

Games can definitely still scare me, though that lessens as the mechanics become apparent. Outlast, for example, is either all about getting to a door or triggering three or so things then going to a door. If you're spotted by an enemy, all you have to do is hide in a closet, locker, under a table, whatever. I hear there's a chance the enemy can still find you, but that did not happen once in my run. At a point, it feels like work and the psychos are only an annoyance rather than something to be feared.

Sudden scares still get me, however. I'm free to that.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad someone finally triggered ModBot's poop detector. Added that a few days ago.

This has some real potential. What else is on the list?

Edit:
ModBot said:
By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Rush Bros was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

Oh, that must be why it triggered the detector. I was hoping it was just for really bad games.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Skyborn makes a great first impression. Great looks, battle system has a nifty threat system going on, written isnt terrible... this is a rpgmaker game correct?

Looked it up, and while it does look pretty, it is definitely an RPG Maker game. I've played so many I can spot it now from just a couple of screenshots.

Even when they have original graphics, there's certain things with the engine that unless you do a lot of modifying with the engine (like Cherry Tree High School Comedy Club), it's spotable by a trained eye.

That's not a bad thing, of course. My belief is that a good game is a good game, and a bad game is a bad game, and while different engine's do different things, if you can make a good game people enjoy that's all that matters (that and what you make is legal).

AHA-Lambda

I think they can't avoid announcing it because of the earnings call being public, but the real reveal of it will prolly be at E3. And it will prolly be great because Ubi conferences are actually fun and have Aisha.

Can't they? EA in their last call made reference to a game for this Fall as just TBA.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Extras from the latest bundle:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

BIT TRIP RUNNER -- MB-24B0B86DC5FFB2C6 - Taken by Purkake4. 5 entrants total.
Mark of the Ninja Special Edition -- MB-24F590BB5D529822 - Taken by tylergregg. 12 entrants total.
Blocks That Matter -- MB-9B8CF9C92FEB035C - Taken by Sub Zero. 11 entrants total.

t1400196665z1.png

Javier23

Banned
Then came Silent Hill 2. That fucking path in the very beginning of the game, where you walk on a curved road you cannot see more than a couple of meters ahead, I knew nothing could happen (because, like, it was just too early and a jump scare would have been really cheap), but still I got some sort of nervous breakdown that made me suddenly turn off the PS2.
Eventually I got to complete the game, but something in me was broken beyond repair. :'(
Was that the part where you are walking and suddenly you hear footsteps behind you in the fog, you stop, and they stop as well? ;P

I f'ing love Silent Hill 2. The whole series is (often) amazing, but SH2 is something else. Need to play it again soon.

Arthea

the very best probably, haven't played them all, but for an RPG maker game it's good.

Dr Dogg

This stuff didn't exist 20 years ago.

You say that but even just a good sound mix can get under your skin. Try out Dead Space with just a reasonable set of headphones, nothing fancy needed and no dedicated soundcard is required as the binaural mix is perfect in that game. Silent Hill 2 is another with just the right mix of subtly and suspense.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Was that the part where you are walking and suddenly you hear footsteps behind you in the fog, you stop, and they stop as well? ;P

I f'ing love Silent Hill 2. The whole series is (often) amazing, but SH2 is something else. Need to play it again soon.

Would play again if the Silent Hill HD collection games came to Steam.

BruteUA

Back when I played Silent Hill 1 & 2, I wasn't able to sleep until I finished them. Something about them just messed with my head. And now I'm seeing that some of you nuts play games like that for fun? What a crazy, f'd up world this is, man.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Back when I played Silent Hill 1 & 2, I wasn't able to sleep until I finished them. Something about them just messed with my head. And now I'm seeing that some of you nuts play games like that for fun? What a crazy, f'd up world this is, man.

I still play 1, 2 and 3 like a religion every October. No horror game has ever come close to offering the powerful feelings I'd gotten from each of those my first playthrough. I have to attribute them (at least 2 and parts of 3) to leading me towards my appreciation for certain things which constitute the CheesecakeRecipe people know and love
or hate
today.

Dusk Golem

I still play 1, 2 and 3 like a religion every October.

Please don't give me an opportunity to say how many horror games I play per year, because it's ridiculous, and yes, I've played every Silent Hill game, more than once. Still playing through every Fatal Frame game, though, making my way through the third one. I'll talk about horror games at the tip of a hat.

Recently played Silent Hill 2/3 again via the patched PS3 HD collection(which really isn't a complete abomination) and they're still something special. As much as I enjoyed Downpour despite its flaws they really show how far the series has fallen in terms of presenting its hellscapes.

Everyone should import Fatal Frame
Ugh, Project Zero
II Wii Edition and play it via dolphin. So damn good.

Dr Dogg

All of this Silent Hill talk right after I finally added my PC versions of Silent Hill 2 & 3 to Steam unofficially.

I still really want them to come to Steam.

Well considering I'm about 2 days away from pulling the trigger on an eBay auction for Silent Hill 2 for PC at around £30 now but will probably go to £40 it will probably end up on Steam if I win it :(

Outside of licencing, royalty fees or maybe even lost source code I have no idea why Konami didn't bring versions to PC when doing the HD collection. 2 I can understand as it was outsourced on PC but wasn't 3 an internal project for all versions?

Javier23

Banned
Recently played Silent Hill 2/3 again via the patched PS3 HD collection(which really isn't a complete abomination) and they're still something special. As much as I enjoyed Downpour despite its flaws they really show how far the series has fallen in terms of presenting its hellscapes.

Everyone should import Fatal Frame
Ugh, Project Zero
II Wii Edition and play it via dolphin. So damn good.
Granted, I was much younger when I played it, but to this day Fatal Frame II is the only game that managed to legitimately scare the shit off me. Coincidentally (not always the case) it is a great game.

Dusk Golem

No 1 & 4? :p

1 didn't have a PC release, and I do own Silent Hill 4 on PC (Silent Hill 4 is the only game in the series I own every version of, actually, the PS2, Xbox, and PC version), but honestly SH4's PC port isn't as good as SH2 and SH3's pc ports. There's flaws with it.

In Silent Hill 4's case, the PS2 version is the best version, with the Xbox and PC version having missing effects and some graphical glitches on occasion. It doesn't sound that bad on paper, but if you compare the two side by side there's a pretty big difference that these effects only on the PS2 version add to the game in a number of scenes.

Copons

Eeeh, too many years have passed, I honestly don't remember. But could easily be a thing like that. What I remember clearly is that was a place I was totally sure nothing was going to happen, yet I was too tense to, like, move one step at a time and then pause for 2 minutes looking around (like I do in the scary section of HL2, fucking Ep1 and that building full of zombine where there's a floor that crumbles and you fall in a flooded room with a skeleton near you :D ), so I was just running ahead paralyzed until I finally broke. :(

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the very best probably, haven't played them all, but for an RPG maker game it's good.

I dont care how its made, im legit liking it... a lot in fact, doing my first proper dungeon. Really enjoying it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom