• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

(OT)

Was away from GAF too much over the weekend. Did manage to get some exciting news though : looks like my wife and I are going to be parents in about 8 months. Not telling anyone is killing me, so this will have to do for now. It's all been pretty surreal so far.

Congrats dude!

But you couldn't help tell SteamGAF now could ya!

Knurek

(OT)
Was away from GAF too much over the weekend. Did manage to get some exciting news though : looks like my wife and I are going to be parents in about 8 months. Not telling anyone is killing me, so this will have to do for now. It's all been pretty surreal so far.

Congrats!

_hekk05

Banned
I launch Uplay.
Uplay updates.
Uplay tells me it can't connect, so I click OK.
Uplay tells me that I don't own Watch Dogs, so I click OK.
Uplay crashes.

Oh Uplay, you're so crazy.

Avoiding uPlay justified

Also grats MMBosstone86. Say goodbye to your gaming life

fantomena

Fucking Ubisoft and their Uplay bulllcrap.

1a46ef6c4f.jpg

Li Kao

Ok that's it. Watch Dogs bought. I flinched and used the 20% off at Gamefly.
Now not only did the final price reveal to be higher than my fucking retarded math were anticipating, but the order validation has failed and I have officially bought the game but must wait for the Gamefly team to contact me.
Fuck my life.

Edit : Congrats MMBosstone86, that's a wonderful news indeed.

derExperte

Ok that's it. Watch Dogs bought. I flinched and used the 20% off at Gamefly.
Now not only did the final price reveal to be higher than my fucking retarded math were anticipating, but the order validation has failed and I have officially bought the game but must wait for the Gamefly team to contact me.
Fuck my life.

Uplay is dead anyway.

Icefire1424

(OT)

and thus is the circle of life.

Congrats! Wife and I just had out first 8 weeks ago - the nine months go by very, very quickly. Get all the baby stuff put together sooner rather than later. I can vouch gaming time will significantly diminish for awhile, but once you guys get into a routine, everything becomes a bit easier and you find you have some time for hobbies. I even managed to get in a few skirmish rounds of Wargame and a couple Space Battles of Star Wars: Empire at War this weekend.

Oh, and get a few games that can be played quickly and saved at any point if you need that quick "fix" while kiddo is sleeping. I personally recommend some old school games for that - Doom / Doom II, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D and Age of Empires 2 can all be saved at any point. F5 is your friend.

Dr Dogg

Yeah, I probably should have checked the source a bit more. Saw Forbes and thought "THIS MUST BE LEGIT". Oops.

Hahaha nah hopefully it provides a talking point and gets some people to do a little thinking and or digging. Sure there's a few odd things that go on behind the scenes that we as customers never really get to find out why. Like for instance why did Crysis 3 suddenly at the 11th hour go from being an Nvidia sponsored game to an AMD one? It's still got a few Nvidia bells and whistles in there as well as performing better on their hardware.

Kind of reminds me of the processor wars of the 90's where a few vendors were at each others throats over gaming. Now they don't really seem to care as much these days.

Li Kao

Uplay is dead anyway.

That's not really helping ^^
Now I'm thinking I will have to jump through hoops just to finally stare at a dead service screen. All I had to do was buy from Amazon, just some very few dollars higher. Why the fuck did I use Gamefly, I can't even...

My take:
- The crunching and the HR issues and employee issues have a lot more to do with not porting the game than the integrity of the code or the engine.

Honestly, I don't think those two issues are divorced from each other. Laying off employees would mean newcomers having to step in and understand code written by others before they could port it. That's always a challenging task unless the code is meticulously written and documented. Given the production troubles, I'd imagine that might not have been the case.

- The game was an unexpected hit. Obviously it was always going to be a multi-million selling game, but its success surprised Rockstar/T2. The game's DLC plans are a reaction to the unexpected success, but it's quite possible that at some point prior to release they made the call not to devote resources to the port and then we're judging that call based on what happened after release, which might be a little unfair.

That seems likely to me too.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Inescapable -- MB-37D55102EE275DFC - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon. 5 entrants total.

t1401200956z1.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair, it's a popular rumour and one that does align with Rockstar's implication that a PC port "isn't viable", but again the veracity just seems non-existent to me considering RAGE's history.
Shut up man, you already made me cry. I now have my boss behind me, asking me why is Jar Jar Ronald McDonald posting on a gaming forum, and if I can give him her Steam ID.

The latter isn't true. He's more of an Origin guy.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Shut up man, you already made me cry. I now have my boss behind me, asking me why is Jar Jar Ronald McDonald posting on a gaming forum, and if I can give him her Steam ID.

The latter isn't true. He's more of an Origin guy.

Your boss is John Riccitiello?

oipic

(OT)

Congrats to you both, Boss - great news!

There are currently 1,117 titles on Steam tagged as 'casual', so you can carry on gaming in short, distracted bursts between parenting duties (but you'd best get those Ubi collect-a-thons wrapped up before January). :)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
(OT)

Congratulations man! Here's to all the gaming you'll be able to do until the baby arrives; make sure you enjoy it now that you still can.

Your boss is John Riccitiello?
I wish. Then I could ask him to add The Saboteur on my Steam account and make you jealous!

kudoboi

i guess ill just ask again...

Is it safe to switch on VPN everyday to play watch_dogs? will it eventually get my account locked or suspended?

Dolor

(OT)

Congratulations. It's a big change for sure, but a completely unique experience.

Should we expect a definitive version including all the DLCs?
I must say I enjoyed the free weekend a few months months back, I have found the heist mechanics to be somehow very addicting - although the single player mode is pretty much flawed as essentially you have to do everything singlehandedly - and I could not stop playing.

(OT)

Conratulations!

Nzyme32

Afternoon steam-onauts!

RE: GTA5 on PC... GTA5 is coming to PC.

oh. my. god. what. an. incredibly. unexpected. surprise. /monotone

(OT)

Was away from GAF too much over the weekend. Did manage to get some exciting news though : looks like my wife and I are going to be parents in about 8 months. Not telling anyone is killing me, so this will have to do for now. It's all been pretty surreal so far

Massive congratulations man! Looks like you will be kicking off 2015 with very little sleep :p

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Back in November, NVidia had a pre-order sale on both Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed IV for 49.99USD each. However, the Ubishop was messed up and it worked on the Russian version as well, making both games 49.99 rubles eatch. So I got them both 1.50 USD each.

Steam also had a regional pricing mistake in Brazil when Watch_Dogs first showed up in the store, which made the game around 7 dollars. I also got that version.

I was going to register the Steam key to my UPlay and give my Ubisoft-bought key to a friend that couldn't buy the game on the Steam pricing mistake on time.

However, Ubisoft (differently from what they did with Assassin's Creed IV) decided to automatically register the my "Russian" Watch_Dogs key to my account. I wonder if my Steam-key of the game is now a valid, non-registered key, and if I could give that away to my friend...

MRORANGE

(OT)

Congrats! Name if Gaben for the glory of Steam.

NG+ in Dark Souls 2 doesn't fuck around...I didn't even make it to the firekeeper house before dieing. That was...unexpected.

RIP all the gaming time you used to have :p

Seriously though, congrats :)

Also grats MMBosstone86. Say goodbye to your gaming life

Congratulations man! Here's to all the gaming you'll be able to do until the baby arrives; make sure you enjoy it now that you still can.

Oh I believe it. I'll try to carve out time when I can, as it is now I get time at night..might be a rough go in the beginning though!

Congrats dude!

But you couldn't help tell SteamGAF now could ya!

Oh course not! I'm awful at holding stuff in

Congrats!

Edit : Congrats MMBosstone86, that's a wonderful news indeed.

Congrats to you both, Boss - great news!

Congratulations. It's a big change for sure, but a completely unique experience.

Conratulations!

Thanks!!

Congrats! Wife and I just had out first 8 weeks ago - the nine months go by very, very quickly. Get all the baby stuff put together sooner rather than later. I can vouch gaming time will significantly diminish for awhile, but once you guys get into a routine, everything becomes a bit easier and you find you have some time for hobbies. I even managed to get in a few skirmish rounds of Wargame and a couple Space Battles of Star Wars: Empire at War this weekend.

Oh, and get a few games that can be played quickly and saved at any point if you need that quick "fix" while kiddo is sleeping. I personally recommend some old school games for that - Doom / Doom II, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D and Age of Empires 2 can all be saved at any point. F5 is your friend.

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to try and finish up my 'desktop' backlog before and leave my laptop stuff for next year as it's easier to game anyway. Should be change, that's for sure!

nexen

Wolfenstein is the real deal.

Great, great game. I'm really curious to hear what the gunplay aficionados think of it. I personally thought it some some of the best I've experienced. Really loved the flak attachment on the shotgun.

edit: I was able to play it on ps4 and pc. It is graphically superior on the pc. Also I've been really down on megatexture since RAGE. Wolf is a much better show of its promise. The hardware is better, so there is less blur-in and the detail levels are more even in this game than RAGE. The textures are still a bit lower res than the best out there, but the amount of variety on display really does impress, especially in the resistance base.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wolfenstein is the real deal.

Great, great game. I'm really curious to hear what the gunplay aficionados think of it. I personally thought it some some of the best I've experienced. Really loved the flak attachment on the shotgun.
This and Stallion's review are making me interested in the game, despite not liking the original one and never playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Guise, pls stahp.

Dr Dogg

Back in November, NVidia had a pre-order sale on both Watch_Dogs and Assassin's Creed IV for 49.99USD each. However, the Ubishop was messed up and it worked on the Russian version as well, making both games 49.99 rubles eatch. So I got them both 1.50 USD each.

Steam also had a regional pricing mistake in Brazil when Watch_Dogs first showed up in the store, which made the game around 7 dollars. I also got that version.

I was going to register the Steam key to my UPlay and give my Ubisoft-bought key to a friend that couldn't buy the game on the Steam pricing mistake on time.

However, Ubisoft (differently from what they did with Assassin's Creed IV) decided to automatically register the my "Russian" Watch_Dogs key to my account. I wonder if my Steam-key of the game is now a valid, non-registered key, and if I could give that away to my friend...

Uplay is a funny old beast. When I used the 2 promo codes I got with my GPU at checkout Uplay gave me 2 CD keys and told me to activate them in the client. Well Blacklist was already there and Black Flag came up invalid. When Black Flag released it had automatically added it to my account. Now because I'm peculiar I also rebought these on Steam and now I have 2 entries for Black Flag and Blacklist in Uplay. I think different vendors (ie Steam, Origin, Uplay itself) all have different app numbers hence the multiple entries.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
theres a Sacred 3?

PlayStation Europe ‏@PlayStationEU 7m

New Sacred 3 trailer introduces fresh combat features for incoming PS3 action RPG: http://bit.ly/1nQ9aJG pic.twitter.com/IMJl9p0APV

one can assume its also coming to PC?

nexen

This and Stallion's review are making me interested in the game, despite not liking the original one and never playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Guise, pls stahp.

I honestly never liked any of the Wolfensteins.
Wolf3D made me motion sick and didn't 'wow' me like Doom did.
I missed the boat on RTCW, so I don't have much of an opinion on it.
Wolf 2009 (?) I found dull and repetative.

This is a proper reboot in that it doesn't have much to do with any of the previous work at all. The main character actually has a personality. The game actually has a story and emotional resonance. Plus the combat is just .. fun.

I also hated RAGE. I thought megatexture was a flop and the world and story were almost non-existent. I'm a big fan of story in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom