• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I can't find the app on google play though and the button link on ubi's site doesn't work.

Huh yeah doesn't appear to be on the store. I don't have an Android phone or another device to check but it's available for us filthy iOS scum so hopefully it's will be on Android soon as you say there's links on Ubi's site and the Watch_Dogs site.

Edit: Annnd way to slow to see your update.

Just played QUBE Director's Cut, and while I never finished the original, I don't think spending money on the "narrative" and a new soundtrack was worth it. Would've been better without people spouting nonsense at you in a slow moving elevator every 15 minutes.

Puzzles were fine except for one which was too annoying so I looked it up. The original is in the current Indie Royale bundle and I suppose you get both versions (not sure, though) if you buy it, so I'd say it's worth buying if you're interested.

Yakkue

Hello Steam devotees, quick Q for you.

I want to buy Prototype and Prototype 2.
The games are $crazy USD on Steam due to my Australian account ($20 and $40 for P1 and 2 respectively), but at the moment it's going for a much more normal $17.50USD on Amazon (steam codes to activate).

However, Amazon is listing it as only available to US customers with a US billing address, and I am not so much American as I am Australian. I do have a US amazon account with US billing address I can use. But my steam account is AU.

tl;dr - if I buy a US game on Amazon, will the steam code work on my AU steam account?

As long as the game itself isn't region-locked, it works without problems (afaik prototype 1 +2 aren't locked, but I'm not 100% sure).

Tenrius

Hello Steam devotees, quick Q for you.

I want to buy Prototype and Prototype 2.
The games are $crazy USD on Steam due to my Australian account ($20 and $40 for P1 and 2 respectively), but at the moment it's going for a much more normal $17.50USD on Amazon (steam codes to activate).

However, Amazon is listing it as only available to US customers with a US billing address, and I am not so much American as I am Australian. I do have a US amazon account with US billing address I can use. But my steam account is AU.

tl;dr - if I buy a US game on Amazon, will the steam code work on my AU steam account?

Yep, it should work.

Just played QUBE Director's Cut, and while I never finished the original, I don't think spending money on the "narrative" and a new soundtrack was worth it. Would've been better without people spouting nonsense at you in a slow moving elevator every 15 minutes.

Yeah, I do not like the narrative stuff either, it is a little intrusive since you cannot skip all those long sequences, but I think they have put some additional rooms/puzzles here and there, besides the DLC "Against the clock" is also included and that's nice.

KarmaCow

Puzzles were fine except for one which was too annoying so I looked it up. The original is in the current Indie Royale bundle and I suppose you get both versions (not sure, though) if you buy it, so I'd say it's worth buying if you're interested.

The weird thing is I'm pretty sure (most of) those transitions between puzzle rooms was present in the original version, just without the person talking to you. I'm glad that I got the DC for free because the updates and DLC packed in aren't really compelling.

I made a Uplay avatar awhile ago when they were thread relevant. It was interesting and sad to notice how not a single one of their Hero avatars was a girl. They could at least have Jade in there.

I have Jade as my Uplay avatar.

KY64VNN.png

Feel free to add me if anyone wants to watch dogs together.

Yeah, I do not like the narrative stuff either, it is a little intrusive since you cannot skip all those long sequences, but I think they have put some additional rooms/puzzles here and there, besides the DLC "Against the clock" is also included and that's nice.

The weird thing is I'm pretty sure (most of) those transitions between puzzle rooms was present in the original version, just without the person talking to you. I'm glad that I got the DC for free because the updates and DLC packed in aren't really compelling.

I think I'm going to play the first 30-60 minutes of the original to get a feel for the differences.

The weird thing is I'm pretty sure (most of) those transitions between puzzle rooms was present in the original version

Actually I have been playing the "Director's cut" just yesterday and I got the impression that the elevator in the 4th or 5th sector was never ending, I reckon going down in the elevator took one minute if not more, whereas I have played the original game just recently and I never noticed anything that lengthy.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I have Jade as my Uplay avatar.

Feel free to add me if anyone wants to watch dogs together.

Huh, I can't seem to find any info on how to unlock that avatar since it's not a default one. How did you get it?

Regarding In-House streaming, can I just stream the game? I mean, having the controller connect to the host machine and just use the stream machine to ... stream? Or does it lock control to stream machine?

Dr Dogg

Regarding In-House streaming, can I just stream the game? I mean, having the controller connect to the host machine and just use the stream machine to ... stream? Or does it lock control to stream machine?

Some are a bit wired but it's game dependant and isn't thast many. If you look in the Steam Group discussion topics there is a thread about control issues and a few of the Valve folks are active in there. 95% of the time it's fine, I even got 2 player going in Rayman Origin with 1 controller on the host and one on the client and it was fine. Like high tech split screen!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

I was enjoying the original a lot until I got to the magnet sliding puzzles which are frankly annoying and way below the fun preciseness of what came before. Even looking at a video solution didn't motivate me to continue because trying to make the cubes slide simultaneously in the right way felt like more trouble than it's worth.

Part of what I liked about the game was the minimalistic approach too, so I don't think it having a narrative will add anything for me either, unfortunately.

Some are a bit wired but it's game dependant and isn't thast many. If you look in the Steam Group discussion topics there is a thread about control issues and a few of the Valve folks are active in there. 95% of the time it's fine, I even got 2 player going in Rayman Origin with 1 controller on the host and one on the client and it was fine. Like high tech split screen!

Thanks Mr Child Doctor! Gonna try today with DS2!

When I've tested it, I've left the controller receiver hooked up to the host PC (Use a wireless 360 pad) and not had any issues. The only thing I do have issue with is image lag, but I think thats more due to me using Homeplugs/Powerline adaptors more than anything.

Great

Battle Worlds: Kronos - Very tough strategy game and quite old-school. But that is exactly what I wanted and everything is just well put together.

Decent

Hexcells Plus - I really liked Hexcells and the game is still pretty good, but I didn't enjoy the "blue hex" mechanic in later levels. It just made things a little too complicated for my tastes.
ibb & Obb - Polarity switching platformer which I found pretty fun to play. Especially good if you have some kids around to play it with.
Gauge - I don't own it and I've never played it, but the name makes me smile because umm "reasons"...

Good for Some

Circuits - I'm not really a music game guy, so I didn't get much fun out of listening to the samples and then trying to match it all up. I feel others might enjoy it a lot more.
T.E.C 3001 - I don't think this endless runner is any good, but I really dislike the genre so I'm not going to write it off the easily. I do suggest you could do a lot better?
Paper Sorcerer - Pretty traditional dungeon crawler with a nice art style, but doesn't seem to have a lot else going for it and even in a short playthrough I was getting bored.
Ethan: Meteor Hunter - Platformer along the lines of Trine, just without the amazing graphics and even fiddlier controls. Sort of well done but... well might as well play Trine.
Poof: Action tower defense game with a really dubious name and some interesting mechanics. Probably not something you will play for long, but you could get some fun out of it.

Probably Not

Volt - Kind of a "cut the rope" platformer. I found it pretty fiddly and not a lot of fun.
Grimind - Really floaty puzzle platformer that doesn't have a lot going for it.
Gravi - Platformer where you have to "fling" your gravi bally thingy around the levels. Hard to control and seemed a lot more frustrating than fun.
Angvik - The Dark Souls of Rogue Legacy sounds interesting, but I couldn't wrap my head around it. You go through a level with bad platforming and frustrating enemies until you die, then you start from the beginning again. I might have missed something?
Day One: Garry's Incident: I actually watched a video instead of playing it. I cancelled the download.

When I've tested it, I've left the controller receiver hooked up to the host PC (Use a wireless 360 pad) and not had any issues. The only thing I do have issue with is image lag, but I think thats more due to me using Homeplugs/Powerline adaptors more than anything.

This is exactly what I want to do! I would never find a way to convince my wife to have a HDMI cable in the middle of the living room, but I have the "TV" laptop connected to the TV already!

Huh, I can't seem to find any info on how to unlock that avatar since it's not a default one. How did you get it?

Haven't got a clue, sorry. Tried booting up uplay to see if I could figure it out but no luck. Clicking on the avatar sends me to the uplay site which isn't loading for me, but you could try there I guess

Tizoc

I'll let Stallion explain it better than I ever could.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29247305&postcount=163

A few things have changed and aren't as complicated these days but 99% of that is still relevant, especially forcing AF globally.

OK I've set the global settings mentioned in the post do I need to download anything to help in fixing Wolfenstein 2014's screen tearing? Or do i just alter a specific line and that's it in Inspector?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
OK I've set the global settings mentioned in the post do I need to download anything to help in fixing Wolfenstein 2014's screen tearing? Or do i just alter a specific line and that's it in Inspector?

Make sure Vsync is disabled in game. Then go to the Wolf profile in inspector and look for these settings:

stuff7vsj4.jpg

And match the ones I picked. Just a note: Nvidia triple-buffering is only for openGL games like Wolf, Rage, etc.

Dr Dogg

Someone has just popped in from lunch with their Dedsec Edition of Watch_Dogs. Man is that a lot of expensive tat, even the list made it seem more worthwhile. About the only thing that looks alright is the Steelbook and the artbook but I can live without the former seeing as it's in my Steam library anyhoo and I've got the full fat artbook on order for my collection anyway. £90, ninety pounds, NINE ZERO POUNDS. And I thought I was crazy with money.

tjohn86

Is more DLC for Killing Floor coming? I want to pick up the complete pack but with how expensive they keep the DLC I want to wait until its really "complete".

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I won't comment on the guy's beliefs, because he can think what he wants. But he's lying, or omitting the truth, regarding Rockstar's titles. It's known that RDR had several problems with its source code, which makes porting it an excessively hard task, and every GTA game since Vice City (I don't know if it was also the case with 3) took at least 6 months to jump from consoles to PC, with a couple of them never making it. And this is before Steam's time, so he is spreading misinformation.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Is more DLC for Killing Floor coming? I want to pick up the complete pack but with how expensive they keep the DLC I want to wait until its really "complete".

I doubt it, they haven't released a paid DLC for 8 months and they're currently working on Killing Floor 2

kudoboi

watch_dogs is really fun so far. However, I am not sure if I want to turn on VPN every time just to play the game. Won't that eventually get the account suspended or locked?

aku:jiki

I won't comment on the guy's beliefs, because he can think what he wants. But he's lying, or omitting the truth, regarding Rockstar's titles. It's known that RDR had several problems with its source code, which makes porting it an excessively hard task, and every GTA game since Vice City (I don't know if it was also the case with 3) took at least 6 months to jump from consoles to PC, with a couple of them never making it. And this is before Steam's time, so he is spreading misinformation.
I believe Knurek's point is that the entire post is a bunch of bullshit.

Deques

They have announced KF2 so I guess they wont be making any more DLCs for the first game

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

This is just a rumour and one I've never placed much stock in seeing as RAGE was developed for the express purpose of making next-gen development easier. The notion that it was butchered to the point that a PC port of RDR became problematic simply doesn't make any sense, especially considering that GTA4's infamously bad port is so because R* put virtually no effort into it beyond copying and pasting the X360 build. Why RDR has yet to surface on the PC is an interesting question but I strongly doubt the answer is "Because the code is buggered".

Parsnip

You should read the most recent posts on the GFWL closure thread, there is someone who thinks Microsft isn't ending the service and that all the developers removing GFWL from their games are listening to idiots who started this rumor.

Those posts are pretty incredible.

Knurek

Why RDR has yet to surface on the PC is an interesting question but I strongly doubt the answer is "Because the code is buggered".

I think Rockstar North is still being run by Amiga fanboys, who don't want to make games for crappy PeeCees.

Isaccard

Had anyone played any uplay games lately? Has the service gotten any better or is it still shitty?

I remember Grief commenting on a distinction between type of DRM it has now or something

Had anyone played any uplay games lately? Has the service gotten any better or is it still shitty?

I remember Grief commenting on a distinction between type of DRM it has now or something

It is pointless thats why I am boycotting it. What does it do for Ubi except decrease sales?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I believe Knurek's point is that the entire post is a bunch of bullshit.
I know, nowhere did I say I disagreed with him :p

This is just a rumour and one I've never placed much stock in seeing as RAGE was developed for the express purpose of making next-gen development easier. The notion that it was butchered to the point that a PC port of RDR became problematic simply doesn't make any sense, especially considering that GTA4's infamously bad port is so because R* put virtually no effort into it beyond copying and pasting the X360 build. Why RDR has yet to surface on the PC is an interesting question but I strongly doubt the answer is "Because the code is buggered".
Fine, feel free to disregard that part of my post. I still stand by what I said regarding the GTA games.

I played Child of Light (bought it on Steam) and had no problems with Uplay. It's a completely useless extra layer of DRM, but it worked fine for me. Didn't eat my saves either.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Lazy Gamers posted a rumour that Watch Dogs would only require Uplay for activation, akin to how Rocksmith 2014 now functions as of a patch some months ago. I can tell you that this rumour was bogus.

Fine, feel free to disregard that part of my post. I still stand by what I said regarding the GTA games.

As you should. I bolded a specific part because I was responding to that specific part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom