• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugatu

Had anyone played any uplay games lately? Has the service gotten any better or is it still shitty?

I remember Grief commenting on a distinction between type of DRM it has now or something

I've never had issues with it but I haven't been using the client for too long so I don't know what the original problems were.

It's not bad, my problem with it, like Origin, is that it just wasn't needed. Just because a company wants to capture more revenue for itself is not a legitimate reason for me to install extra crap on my computer. Make it worth something to me as well and I'd be happy but they haven't done that IMO.

Having extras you can buy with their achievement type system is a good idea but most games have nothing worth buying. I don't want wallpapers or icons or stuff like that.

Dr Dogg

If only your pal had looked at my list.

Hahaha but even you list made it seem a little more compelling. What it failed to mention that bar the game disc and the 'ULC' (Ubisoft's clever way so say the content is already in the game but we're allowing you to unlock it) everything else in the package is generic.

Even the Steelbook for the PS4 version, which the guy I work with bought, is a G1 size (standard DVD size instead of G2 with is BluRay and Playstation size box) so if you had a collection this would stick out like a sore thumb. Considering this edition is available on XO and PC as well and more importantly the PS3, 360 and the blooming WiiU you will 100% be able to pick this up in a bargin bin firesale in a month or two and get all the tat for about a £5.

Tenrius

I had such a bad experience with both Far Cry 3 and ACIV performance-wise. ACIV was more or less all right, but FC3 is really slow on any settings. Hopefully Watch_Dogs is better.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Magicka: Wizard Wars is now free-to-play. In addition to be added to sub 0 it was also removed from all Mount & Blade subs and Paradox bundles, so anybody who earned the game through either avenue now has one less game as far as Steam Community is concerned.

Thanks for the clarification. I edited my original post accordingly.

To be fair, it's a popular rumour and one that does align with Rockstar's implication that a PC port "isn't viable", but again the veracity just seems non-existent to me considering RAGE's history.

Kiru

Magicka: Wizard Wars is now free-to-play. In addition to be added to sub 0 it was also removed from all Mount & Blade subs and Paradox bundles, so anybody who earned the game through either avenue now has one less game as far as Steam Community is concerned.

I wonder if keys for alpha are still worth something. Registers "Magicka Wizard Wars Base Game". So you can get trading cards. Still got like 3.

JaseC

I wonder if keys for alpha are still worth something. Registers "Magicka Wizard Wars Base Game". So you can get trading cards. Still got like 3.

Once something has been added to sub 0, Steam considers you to own it, so Wizard Wars keys and gift copies are now completely useless until such a time that the game is shut down or otherwise removed from the store.

Edit: Actually, since the Early Access keys contain DLC, they may still work. Depends on whether or not Paradox has told Steam to ignore non-game apps now that the game is F2P.

Volimar

If I want to uninstall a steam game, does library->right click->delete local content do the trick or do I need to do an actual uninstall?

Kiru

Once something has been added to sub 0, Steam considers you to own it, so Wizard Wars keys and gift copies are now completely useless until such a time that the game is shut down or otherwise removed from the store.

Edit: Actually, since the Early Access keys contain DLC, they may still work.

Alright. Got it. Thanks.

No my key didn't have any DLC in Steam itself. Only ingame for alpha testers.

Li Kao

The 2500K lives another year.

Ok, I'm still in the process of catching up with the thread but I just can't wait to ask :
560ti / 2500K, will WatchDogs be playable at 1080p with some fancies ?
Will it be playable at all ? Will the bank call me ? Does the nice bank lady like me ?

Fucking game, even with all its controversies, I'm near the bitting point.

Pakoe

RE: GTA5 on PC... GTA5 is coming to PC.

1398779301603.gif

This is just a rumour and one I've never placed much stock in seeing as RAGE was developed for the express purpose of making next-gen development easier. The notion that it was butchered to the point that a PC port of RDR became problematic simply doesn't make any sense, especially considering that GTA4's infamously bad port is so because R* put virtually no effort into it beyond copying and pasting the X360 build. Why RDR has yet to surface on the PC is an interesting question but I strongly doubt the answer is "Because the code is buggered".

I actually believe that rumor, specifically because of this incident - http://kotaku.com/5444150/alleged-unfair-work-conditions-at-rockstar-san-diego

In an industry where 'crunching' is considered the norm, one can only imagine how bad things must have gotten for a letter like this to be written. So it's a safe assumption that the game had a very troubled development cycle. And after RDR released, Rockstar laid off quite a few employees from their San Diego studio. Which could be normal as a project winds down but could also have been due to this. As great as RDR turned out, it's entirely possible the game was barely stitched together. And after that, they clearly didn't feel it was worth their while to port it to the PC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If I want to uninstall a steam game, does library->right click->delete local content do the trick or do I need to do an actual uninstall?

That does the trick, and if you try to uninstall your game from Windows Add/Remove Programs, it'll launch Steam anyway.

I actually believe that rumor, specifically because of this incident - http://kotaku.com/5444150/alleged-unfair-work-conditions-at-rockstar-san-diego

In an industry where 'crunching' is considered the norm, one can only imagine how bad things must have gotten for a letter like this to be written. So it's a safe assumption that the game had a very troubled development cycle. And after RDR released, Rockstar laid off quite a few employees from their San Diego studio. Which could be normal as a project winds down but could also have been due to this. As great as RDR turned out, it's entirely possible the game was barely stitched together. And after that, they clearly did feel it was worth their while to port it to the PC.

My take:
- The crunching and the HR issues and employee issues have a lot more to do with not porting the game than the integrity of the code or the engine.

- The game was an unexpected hit. Obviously it was always going to be a multi-million selling game, but its success surprised Rockstar/T2. The game's DLC plans are a reaction to the unexpected success, but it's quite possible that at some point prior to release they made the call not to devote resources to the port and then we're judging that call based on what happened after release, which might be a little unfair.

derExperte

PAYDAY 2 free weekend and 67% off.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/218620/announcements/detail/1715056000689995637

Ok, I'm still in the process of catching up with the thread but I just can't wait to ask :
560ti / 2500K, will WatchDogs be playable at 1080p with some fancies ?
Will it be playable at all ? Will the bank call me ? Does the nice bank lady like me ?

Fucking game, even with all its controversies, I'm near the bitting point.

Runs good with my 660non-ti, way above 30fps with almost everything at high (haven't tried changing anything). Your 560 is how much slower? 30%? No doubt it'll be playable.

_hekk05

Banned
Well then. We have order delay, new BF leak, bayonetta 2 rated by Aus with a (multiplatform) beside it, demonite teases clues about GG's rpg, and now stump calling gtaV on PC.

Today was a busy day

JaseC

I launch Uplay.
Uplay updates.
Uplay tells me it can't connect, so I click OK.
Uplay tells me that I don't own Watch Dogs, so I click OK.
Uplay crashes.

Oh Uplay, you're so crazy.

Dolor

I will post a better review later, but for now, the Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2 is really fantastic. I finished it in about 3 days which is nearly impossible under my schedule and I still keep loading it back up hoping there is something else I can do in it.

And I would pay another $15 just for more of that tower defense mini-game they have.

And Tropico 5 is... ok. It's more Tropico which is good, but it's a little underwhelming. I've put a couple hours into it and not sure how much more I am going to play.

(OT)

Was away from GAF too much over the weekend. Did manage to get some exciting news though : looks like my wife and I are going to be parents in about 8 months. Not telling anyone is killing me, so this will have to do for now. It's all been pretty surreal so far.

Kotaku Breaking News...

"GTA V Coming to PC says NeoGAF Admin"

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

and thus is the circle of life.

MUnited83

For you.
(OT)

Was away from GAF too much over the weekend. Did manage to get some exciting news though : looks like my wife and I are going to be parents in about 8 months. Not telling anyone is killing me, so this will have to do for now. It's all been pretty surreal so far.

RIP all the gaming time you used to have :p

Seriously though, congrats :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Inescapable and Frederic Ressurection of Music keys added to Indiegala Greenlight bundle.

Speaking of Inescapable...

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Inescapable -- MB-EE91B26096D67BE6 - Taken by _hekk05

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom