• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruruja

So I decided to download Paranormal State. It gets to 100% (or near enough) and now just says 0 bytes / 0 bytes and doesn't seem to be completing.

To top it off, this is what's happening at the bottom of my client.

wtf.gif

I've restarted steam and it continues to do this. Any ideas?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So I decided to download Paranormal State. It gets to 100% (or near enough) and now just says 0 bytes / 0 bytes and doesn't seem to be completing.

wtf.gif

Your PC is haunted now, unfortunately.

Really, though, have you tried going into your downloads and trying to pause it? Something similar happened to me before and I went into my downloads, paused, and then resumed it.

At least something similar to what I did worked in fixing it.

I cant find it on Google but someone please tell me that actua 3 is a fun pass and shoot game and none of this hold 3 buttons to do something modern fifa shit.

wtf.gif

Happened to me with War Thunder. What I did to solve the problem was moving the numbered folder (that's actually War Thunder) from "downloading" folder to the "common" folder and renamed the numbered folder to "War Thunder" and "installed" it from Steam's client. Worked.

wtf.gif

You are cursed.
You need to go to the cathedral and buy a stone that lifts your curse.

Ontopic: Have you messed up with the downloads registry?

Ruruja

I cant find it on Google but someone please tell me that actua 3 is a fun pass and shoot game and none of this hold 3 buttons to do something modern fifa shit.

It is very simple.

Happened to me with War Thunder. What I did to solve the problem was moving the numbered folder (that's actually War Thunder) from "downloading" folder to the common folder and renamed the numbered folder to "War Thunder" and "installed" it from Steam's client. Worked.

I guess I'll try that then. Cheers.

You are cursed.
You need to go to the cathedral and buy a stone that lifts your curse.

Ontopic: Have you messed up with the downloads registry?

Nope, never touched it.

Pachimari

Shit, i haven't even gotten around to playing dark souls 1 and now there's 2 and whatever the ps4 souls game is. I guess i'll have to start playing DS1 soon to get prepped. Wished they'd kill GFW on it already, though. it's always feels like a miracle whenever the game loads without an issue.

I only just started Demon's Souls.. And I also got Persona 4: The Golden to beat before Persona 5. Basically, it's like this with all of my games, none of them completed. :(

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

wtf.gif

Try pausing download, switching your download server, restarting steam, and unpausing the download.

Corpekata

Banned
It wouldn't have to be tied to GMG. They could offer PSN/XBL gift card codes as rewards like a lot of other sites do.

It kinda does. GMG and Playfire are part of the same company. Sony or MS would need to partner up for Playfire to have the incentive to reward them. They wouldn't be getting any profit beyond the data if they offered those gift cards, while with PC they get the data and customers spending at their store and being loyal.

Lomax

Totally lttp but Pinball FX2 is very good, not that I'm experienced with that type of game, I didn't played too much with the real ones and the only other pinball game I played was the one that used to come with Windows. :p

*Add a lot of DLC to wishlist*

It's easily my most played (and bought) game of the past year. The tables commonly are 75% during sales as well, so it's easy to pick up a bunch without spending much.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
It kinda does. GMG and Playfire are part of the same company. Sony or MS would need to partner up for Playfire to have the incentive to reward them.

Yep, partner up with Sony and MS and sell stuff from them too. I am pretty sure I have seen filters for consoles when I was browsing GMG the other day, so they may have plans for it

Grief.exe

Can't stop the Dark Souls II train. Just averaging 50K concurrent at all hours, it's insane.

Can't wait to buy another platform for one game. Thanks for exclusivity gaming world!
A game that woudnt be made otherwise. I dont really see the problem here.

Not necessarily, From has mainstream pull now.

They could easily have gone to a few publishers and pitched the idea while showing them the sales numbers for the Souls series.

I actually think Sony approached From with Demon Souls 2, From countered with an idea that would distinguish itself from the current Sous series all while being mutually beneficial to both From and Sony.

I will say this, buying either a PS4 or XBO is difficult to justify at the moment. After a From Soft game, becomes a much easier pill to swallow.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Newegg has a pack of 4 Star Wars games that redeem on Steam for $11.24 after coupon EMCPEPH93.

• Knights of the Old Republic
  • Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
  • Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
  • The Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition
Each game is also individually on sale (they matched Steam's price) but a little cheaper with that 10% off coupon.

Speaking of Dark Souls

Just want to give a small rant. I'm seeing a lot of people upset with Dark Souls 2 and hear nothing but praise for the original game.(some of this is coming from other PC gamers that bought Dark Souls on PC the day it released. They have to feel burned by such a shitty port)

I really don't care if some of you feel the atmosphere, boss battles, and gameplay were better in the original game. I'm loving Dark Souls 2. Leave me in peace. That is all :D

Corpekata

Banned
Speaking of Dark Souls

Just want to give a small rant. I'm seeing a lot of people upset with Dark Souls 2 and hear nothing but praise for the original game.(some of this is coming from other PC gamers that bought Dark Souls on PC the day it released. They have to feel burned by such a shitty port)

I really don't care if some of you feel the atmosphere, boss battles, and gameplay were better in the original game. I'm loving Dark Souls 2. Leave me in peace. That is all :D

You're just witnessing the evolution of Souls fans. There's always going to be that group of people. The Demon's Souls purists raged at the Dark Souls fans, and now the Dark Souls fans rage at the DS2 fans.

I love all three games but some of the superfans are incredibly irritating.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Speaking of Dark Souls

Yeah I'm having a blast with DS2.

Saty

oh, jshackles, i've also forgot to ask. How easy\hard is to to make the Steam inventory pages navigable by the arrow keys?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
oh, jshackles, i've also forgot to ask. How easy\hard is to to make the Steam inventory pages navigable by the arrow keys?

Do you mean adding the ability to press up/down/left/right to navigate through individual items? Or do you mean the ability to press left/right to go from page to page?

jshackles

Page to page. Though if you want to also answer the other one, go ahead.

Key presses to go from one page to the next would be pretty easy. Using the arrow keys to move around your inventory items individually would be a bit more difficult, as I'd have to build in logic to automatically "turn the page" when scrolled off of the last item in a row.

Grief.exe

Is Call of Duty really that dead on PC right now? Free multiplayer weekend and it can't even beat Black Ops II on the concurrent list. Which isn't even in the top 30 games played.

It is also struggling to crack the top 15 on the top sellers list.

I'm downloading it now, but I'm not sure of even starting it after I'm done with DS1.
Suggestions?

I would personally wait so you don't get over saturated with the series. Going by your Dark Souls 1 log, you have barely scratched the surface of that game.

You will miss out on the launch rush of players with the online experience, but I have a feeling this game will remain high up on the concurrent list for a long, long time.

Speaking of Dark Souls

Some people are still angry that From showed the TGS and reveal footage that didn't end up in the final product. Many also believe they were falsely marketed to in this respect.

My take on the issue is I believe 'target-renders' to be apart of the industry. If you think about how these are created, the developer needs to show a product years before its actual release. Completely without knowledge of any funding, staffing, or general issues that crop up over the course of development.
A key part of the gameplay isn't coming together 8 months before release? You better believe that resources are going to get diverted from the visual-side as those aren't necessary for the product to ship.

I also noticed that, outside of a few inconsistencies, From has had a clear message of the visual state of the game going back to December when they started releasing screenshots and even a beta. Many of these inconsistencies seem to be either oversights from an ignorant marketing department in Namco or ignorant Journalists for not asking the pertinent questions.
The main argument you see from the naysayers is that From showed the TGS/reveal footage to close to release, but that is not grounds for a strong argument anyways.

Should From have said something, sure but I don't really blame them for not doing so. If anything, I put the blame squarely on the incompetent journalists in the gaming media.

Oh, and I'm loving Dark Souls II.

Is Call of Duty really that dead on PC right now? Free multiplayer weekend and it can't even beat Black Ops II on the concurrent list. Which isn't even in the top 30 games played.

It is also struggling to crack the top 15 on the top sellers list.

I would personally wait so you don't get over saturated with the series. Going by your Dark Souls 1 log, you have barely scratched the surface of that game.

You will miss out on the launch rush of players with the online experience, but I have a feeling this game will remain high up on the concurrent list for a long, long time.

Some people are still angry that From showed the TGS and reveal footage that didn't end up in the final product. Many also believe they were falsely marketed to in this respect.

My take on the issue is I believe 'target-renders' to be apart of the industry. If you think about how these are created, the developer needs to show a product years before its actual release. Completely without knowledge of any funding, staffing, or general issues that crop up over the course of development.
A key part of the gameplay isn't coming together 8 months before release? You better believe that resources are going to get removed from the visual-side as those aren't necessary for the product to ship.

I also noticed that, outside of a few inconsistencies, From has had a clear message of the visual state of the game going back to December when they started releasing screenshots and even a beta. Many of these inconsistencies seem to be either oversights from an ignorant marketing department in Namco or ignorant Journalists for not asking the pertinent questions.
The main argument you see from the naysayers is that From showed the TGS/reveal footage to close to release, but that is not grounds for a strong argument anyways.

Should From have said something, sure but I don't really blame them for not doing so. If anything, I put the blame squarely on the incompetent journalists in the gaming media.

Oh, and I'm loving Dark Souls II.

Very well said

I'm in the mood for a bridge building game. Do any of you have any recommendations? I own Bridge Constructor, Bridge It+, and Bridge Project. I also own World of Goo if that counts. I'd like to play some sort of bridge game this weekend.
In between rounds of Dark Souls of course.

I really wish Elefunk was on Steam.

jshackles

I'm in the mood for a bridge building game. Do any of you have any recommendations? I own Bridge Constructor, Bridge It+, and Bridge Project. I also own World of Goo if that counts. I'd like to play some sort of bridge game this weekend.
In between rounds of Dark Souls of course.

I really wish Elefunk was on Steam.

Definitely Bridge Constructor.

bridge_by_intheflorsh-d76b15z.gif

Saty

Key presses to go from one page to the next would be pretty easy. Using the arrow keys to move around your inventory items individually would be a bit more difficult, as I'd have to build in logic to automatically "turn the page" when scrolled off of the last item in a row.
Page-to-page would be nice. Can't believe it isn't there in Valve's build.

A game that woudnt be made otherwise. I dont really see the problem here.

Why wouldn't it be made otherwise?

After killing that thing, I traveled to a place called "Blighttown", as an architect, my official statement on such place is: "goddamn hellhole".
Dammit, what a place! full of dart blowing bastards, and poison bastards, and giant poison bastards, and lets not forget of the fire dog bastards. Also, is that a drop on FPS??? the hell???... I found the bonfire after traveling the goddamn hellhole and expect to continue my adventures today...

There should be no FPS drops unless you're playing one of the console versions, AFAIK.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Was about to pick up the King's Quest Collection on 50 % sale. Then I read some of the user reviews and decided not to.

Apparantly they wont work on newer computers, not even XP support lol.

GOG versions are by hearsay better, so I'll guess I'll go that way if I get the nostalgia craving

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to think Cargo Commander sucks a little too much to bother playing anymore. Too bad since it has some nice ideas going on.

jshackles

Page-to-page would be nice. Can't believe it isn't there in Valve's build.

It's probably because in most browsers, by default, the arrow keys on the keyboard are used to navigate the page without using the mouse (for accessibility). For example, if you have a text box the up/down arrows will move the cursor up or down. If you have a group of radio buttons, you can select them with the arrows if they have the focus.

It shouldn't be too hard to make it so that if the inventory selection screen has the focus, you'll be able to move from page to page (without breaking accessibility).

Yeah ever since I saw that video I've been itching to check it out. I was just curious if one is definitively better than the others.

Definitely better as a casual type game. The others are a bit more technical, if I recall.

I'm starting to think Cargo Commander sucks a little too much to bother playing anymore. Too bad since it has some nice ideas going on.
The concept is good but there's not enough meat there to really string you along to completion. Definitely started feelin' the slog while trying to finish it.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Was about to pick up the King's Quest Collection on 50 % sale. Then I read some of the user reviews and decided not to.

GOG versions are by hearsay better, so I'll guess I'll go that way if I get the nostalgia craving

That's disappointing. I didn't even know that the King's Quest games were on Steam, so I just went to check out the page :/

Tagyhag

Apparently I still need 470 cards to drop. Time to idle!

If on average they sell for 10 cents, that's $47. It'll soften the blow of all those bundle purchases.

Lingitiz

Yeah I didn't like it all that much either. It just ends up being really repetitive and the core mechanics aren't particularly fun.

Miguel81

Can't you use DOSbox with the Steam versions?

Different era.

System Shock 2's default controls are very strange as well.

Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (or whatever) is such a huge leap over Star Wars: Dark Forces that it's worth the fiddling and adjustment. Jedi Knight isn't just another Doom clone, you're not roaming through these mostly horizontal corridor levels where everything is just a primitive 2D sprite constrained to the camera. It's fully 3D, you can now swap in and out of third and first person on the fly, there's native full mouselook and this impacted the level and encounter design in ways it just couldn't Dark Forces. The levels are absolutely huge and, so far, the overall design seems a lot less convoluted than some of Dark Forces levels. They're pretty barren because, well, early 3D.

The FMV cutscenes with integrated CG crack me up. They are pretty cheese but they're also kinda well done.
Also better than the new trilogy.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I ended up with a second copy of Gun Monkeys, so enjoy:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gun Monkeys -- MB-34E8111A86444C83 - Taken by pupo

aku:jiki

Aww! McMillen just posted this on his tumblr, about Rebirth of course:

we are currently adding room sizes and making levels/rooms for all the new enemies and content. 90% of the new enemies are added, 50% of the new bosses, 95% of the new items and about 75% of the level art is done.

large chunk wise we still need to do all the games cut scenes and menus, playable characters, sound effects and implement all the game secrets/unlocks.

once all that is done we should be spending a month or so polishing and play testing

I guess "early 2014" just turned into september or something. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom