• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
anyone else have the issue where steam refuses to download anything? It will download the game for a few seconds and then switch to update required (not queued) and it does that every 10 seconds. I had this for a few weeks now

Firstly, ensure that you have enough free space on the drive you've elected to install the game to. Following that, try a different content server (Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Download region).

J10

Banned
Walking Mars, a side scrolling adventure (as in story telling) where one must explore this strange land and discover hidden secrets behind many a wall.

Saira , an open world title where you can go wherever you want to provided you have the ability to do so, full of puzzles and clues as to what is going on and what the main protagonist is there for.

Oniken , an action game that is a straight on tribute to the guns a blazing sci-fi action movies of the 80s and the video game titles they inspired such as Contra and Strider.

Intrusion 2. A modern take on the side-scrolling action run-and-gun platformer title, but with the kick of a fun physics engine that keeps people and objects flying or falling and often crushing.

Gunpoint. A puzzle title of the Film Noir bent with plenty of humour and ways to get through various sections, sometimes even the ridiculous.

Gateways, not a Portal nor a Quantum Conundrum, but very much a puzzle platformer where one must think differently to get through with it's unique take oh quantum physics and how to get from one area to another.

Full Bore. An open world title where you, a boar, must help others you come across and of course solve many a puzzle or figure out how to survive by pushing blocks or destroying dirt. Highly recommend this, tis just great and there is a thread on NeoGAF that has some tips on it I believe.

Capsized, another large world to explore where the physics of an individual in a space suit offer plenty of challenge and fun to be had. Plenty of action and unique enemies with perhaps one of the most alien worlds of it's ilk.

Mark Of The Ninja, a side scrolling game that is often given the title of "best stealth game" by some of it's fans. Whether it is or not is up to you, but lot of great fun with it's enemy movement recognition, distraction techniques, killing from afar, stealth kills.

A Valley WIthout Wind, not a favourite of mine, but it has those who enjoy it and I dare say it's decent enough if you enjoy this type of thing. Randomised design, plenty of loot to be found.

Noitu Love 2, a beat-em-up side scroller that while short and sweet, is smooth and fun and plenty of reason to come back to play again and again.

Metal Slug 3, it's Metal Slug, a classic. Run and gun shooter from the arcade days that can not be missed if you are a fan of the sub-genre and don't already own it several times over.

Gunman Clive, why not help out a fellow GAFFER and give this one a go? A side scroller run and gun with an old U.S. old west theme and ducks.

Bleed, a high score driven shoot where you will combo based almost shoot-em-up twin-stick in feel title that should fulfil any itch for a fast paced game you might have.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, and I'm just reposting what I said earlier in this thread.

I do certainly have a title for you to look into. Super House Of Dead Ninjas.

This is a comic/cartoonish ninja game with cartoonish demons, monsters, and hopping chickens in a rather basic video game story which combined with it's fun game play would have made it one of the best ninja games on the SNES and a competitor to Ninja Gaiden and Shinboi had it come out in the 1990s. Though easily modern graphics of course and design inspired by nostalgia rather than limitations of the past.

To a greater extent than Rogue Legacy, Super House Of Dead Ninjas is a game about randomised levels and enemy placements where the goal is to ever increase in skill, speed, and player ability to get further and further each time. Unlike Rogue Legacy where you explored a Castle Dracula inspired world, this is a title in which you start at the top of a Japanese Demon tower and are ever decreasing until you reach the lowest floor and eventually the main boss, at least until you get good enough to go ever deeper into a hell dimension with no end save for your death.

More frantic and hectic than Rogue Legacy, as here you are a nimble ninja flipping out and cutting people the majority of time, with the chance to build up a "kill combo" that for while it lasts you are invincible and all normal enemies die in one hit for that sweet sweet Pac-Man Championship Edition DX ghost chain like feel you just get a huge satisfaction from.

While Rogue Legacy it's a get-gold-buy-skills or find improvements in, Super House Of Dead Ninjas is an unlock system where you have to kill a certain amount of enemies, accomplish speed runs, use certain items enough time, find a certain number of hidden faeries, get high enough score points, beat a boss without taking damage, etc on top of the greater sense of reward and focus on improving your own skill as a player (present in Rogue Legacy, but most people ignore that and prefer to just power through by unlocking everything to get farther). Still, you do get a sense of reward and progression from the game as you continue forward, coming closer to "killing x amount of enemies" toward the next unlock or what have you and thus you have more options or more tools that let you feel empowered because you can now use them.

The main form of unlocks comes in form of new weapons to use, be it a new personal weapon (sword, bat, chain, etc) and a side weapon (shuriken, spear, 9mm Glock) and a bomb (grenade, sticky bomb, mine, Molotov cocktail, etc) and a magic spell right out of Shinboi (SEGA) games that kills everything on screen and gives you a window of invincibility. A lot of different combos of these items you can put together that let you play differently enough, though the core game play remains the same and it's rather just how you go at it or the speed in which you go at it.
One specific line of unlocks in the game come in form of being able to take more damage, carry more bombs, and so forth, but nothing that makes the game necessarily easier in terms of requiring less skill, it still asks you to do well and they just help you.

If you want you can play a modified version of the original House Of Dead Ninjas, a demo of sorts, for the full game you can buy on Steam. http://games.adultswim.com/house-of-dead-ninjas-action-online-game.html

I highly recommend the game off Steam, it's my favourite game of 2013 and it scratches that itch of being "I want to be great at a game and not just because the game gives me everything".

Thank you.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Can anyone recommend some decent 2D sidescrollers on Steam? Could be action or puzzle oriented or whatever.
Super Meat Boy - Challenging puzzle platforming
Volgarr - Challenging action platforming
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack - Not challenging with personality
Stealth Bastard Deluxe - Neat stealth platformer with fun style
The Showdown Effect - Action shooter but not quite as good as some other action shooters.
Shank & Shank 2 - Cool beatemups
Offspring Fling, Snapshot, Blocks That Matter, Eversion - Very clever concepts
Toki Tori 2+ - Very cool and calm puzzle sidescroller influenced by metroidvania
La Mulana, Aquaira, Guacamelee - Other metroidvania influenced type, the first being challenging.

There is more but I'm getting lazy.

Lizardus

Can anyone recommend some decent 2D sidescrollers on Steam? Could be action or puzzle oriented or whatever.

Mark of the Ninja if you enjoy stealth games or even if you don't. It's a really great game. I wish I could play it for the first time again.

kudoboi

Firstly, ensure that you have enough free space on the drive you've elected to install the game to. Following that, try a different content server (Steam -> Settings -> Downloads -> Download region).

I do have enough space.. switching servers didn't really do anything. I also tried the steam flushconfig thing a few times already.

This is the error I get when trying to force it to download
0MHwrIR.jpg

edit: deleting the blob file or appcache didn't seem to do anything either

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh, if we're counting polygonal stuff too, don't forget Castle of Illusion, Pid, and Nimbus.

There is also Mercenary Kings, Pixeljunk games, Limbo, Dust, Adventures of Shuggy, Botanicula, A.R.E.S, Bionic Commando Rearmed, D&D Chronicles of Mystara, Cargo Commander etc.

As I said, there are many worth a look. 2D isn't dead. If you want shmups that is like a whole different realm. Same for top-down and isometric games, which can kind of be counted as 2D.

Anteater

Tizoc

Thanks for the info guys.

You can just replay the last level to get it. It's pretty easy once you have the pattern down and that's the hardest part of the game overall so it's still legit.

Hah I was hoping that's the case, there are other games were doing such a thing awards you the Cheevo/Trophy.

Holy crap in a pita, KiD is fanatasic. Maybe Suda51 only directly pitched ideas and stories for this one? I'm so used to Suda51 games being overhyped and underwhelming at best... this is a nice surprise.

Are you playing with the 60 FPS fix? Cuz the game looks so fucking good at 60 FPS.

Some quick tips: Try to max out the Gun upgrades and the sword upgrades in order to dish out the most damage.

You can transition from a block to a dodge and the game will still let you do a dodge counter.

Don't bother spending cash on the Beauties until after beating the game and avoid Koharu since her Gigolo mission causes crashes.

zkylon

zkylewd
i7geJAeCooVzg.png

i'm all ready for project beast

i might finish my ng++ playthrough, respec'd as a mage so i'd try something different and it's been fun but i want to play something else now :p

i still gotta finish ass creed 3

JaseC

I do have enough space.. switching servers didn't really do anything. I also tried the steam flushconfig thing a few times already.

This is the error I get when trying to force it to download

A few other commonly-suggested fixes are:

1) Delete the game's folder in steamapps\downloading and restart Steam; or, if there is an existing installation, move the folder out of steamapps\common, delete the game through Steam, move the aforementioned folder back, and reinstall
2) Delete the Steam\appcache folder and restart Steam
3) Set the security permissions of the folder Steam is downloading to/updating to Full Control (Right-click -> Properties -> Security)

What's weird in your case is that there's no description of the cause.

mrgone

It kind of blows my mind that folks skipped it given some the entries on their lists but Spelunky is a perfect choice for someone looking for good 2d platforming. It's one of the greatest games ever made, in my opinion. A nearly perfect combination of simplicity, complexity, and replayability.

edit: Ahh, KenOD did mention it in a subsequent post! But I also think it's high lunacy to dedicate that much text to Super House of Dead Ninjas (which is also goddamned fantastic) and not elabourate on the majesty of Spelunky, which is both similar and amazing. :)

Tizoc

While it is more of an overhead 2D game it deserves mention. OP if you even have any appreciation for video games you have to get the Ys games. You can skip 1+2 unless you're interested in old school style combat, but def. get Oath in Felghana (Ys 3) and Origins. The pros of the Ys games is that they're mostly stand alone and skipping games won't ruin the experience of the later or past ones.

Miguel81

While it is more of an overhead 2D game it deserves mention. OP if you even have any appreciation for video games you have to get the Ys games. You can skip 1+2 unless you're interested in old school style combat, but def. get Oath in Felghana (Ys 3) and Origins. The pros of the Ys games is that they're mostly stand alone and skipping games won't ruin the experience of the later or past ones.

I'm still waiting on Ys VI Ark of Napishtim to show up on Steam like they promised. The PC version is considered the best one.

Tizoc

I'm still waiting on Ys VI Ark of Napishtim to show up on Steam like they promised. The PC version is considered the best one.

I wonder if XSEED needs more Staff to help with their PC development/porting/etc.
Though on the one hand, the best way to keep costs low is to have fewer people working on a project.

mrgone

Didnt they just announce it last month or so?

Sweet! Isn't that and Ys Seven the last two of the series with existing PC ports waiting for a Steam release? (And I think Ys Seven was announced a while back, or at least there were rumours of its impending localized PC release)

JaseC

There is an AssCreed sale over on game.co.uk. Has anyone purchased part II on there, and is it Steam, Uplay, or Tagés? I contacted customer support, but I'm inquiring here since it might be quicker.

Amazon and Mac Game Store are literally the only two places that stock Steam keys for Uplay games, and just for a select few titles at that.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This is a long-overdue review for me, BlackSoul Extended Edition.

header_292x136.jpg

Let me get this out of the way: I wouldn't define BlackSoul: Extended Edition as a good game. It's got too many problems with it for me to say that. And honestly, the only people who are going to enjoy it are those that liked B-Tier horror games in the late 90s and early 2000s, games like Deep Fear or Blue Stinger or Kuon. However, despite all of its problems, I did end up enjoying the game, and it does get better as it goes along.

BlackSoul: Extended Edition is an old-school styled survival-horror game, where you utilize limited supplies, puzzles, and clunky tank controls to make your way through several locations. The story is that you're a brother going to a nearby forest to rescue your sister... You play as both through the course of the game. However, honestly speaking, the story hardly has any presence, and the ending is disappointing. However, I did enjoy the notes that you occasionally pick up in the game. They were interesting enough, and honestly most of the game's story is told through them.

Audio-wise, it's mostly good. The music deserves particular mention, as it's all quite good and very horror-sounding, and adds a lot to the game experience. Audio isn't bad, and some of the ambiance is legitimately creepy, but some sounds, like the sounds the zombies make, get way too familiar and aren't particularly fantastic. And the voicing is god awful, but thankfully there's only like four spoken lines of dialogue in the whole game.

You can hear a sample of the music here.

Graphics actually aren't too shabby for a small budget indie effort. Some good lighting effects, interesting designed rooms, and good art direction. A few places managed to visually strike with me. However, some areas look far better than others, the animations in the game are wonky, and some textures (especially outside) are notably very low quality.

ss_9a0322c1b388aeb3d02faaeb259ab1e9e09461cc.600x338.jpg

The gameplay is rather simple. Your character moves like a tank, find key items, solve puzzles, and make progress to the next location. Enemies blockade your way, and should either be taken out or avoided. You have limited ammo and healing items, so making decisions about your inventory is crucial. One feature here to note is that if an enemy manages to grab and gnaw on you, you get poisoned, which slowly drains your health. You have to find and use antidotes to heal poison, but they're limited, so sometimes its better to stick with being poisoned as you may very well quickly run into and get poisoned again by another enemy.

On that note, there's only three types of enemies in this game; Slow-stumbling zombies, speed-walking Zombies, and sprinting zombies. So basically, there's only zombies in this game. The speed of the zombie is random from zombie to zombie, but notably different zombie models take a different number of hits, which is always the same with that particular zombie model no matter what speed they move at. This limited enemy variety leaves definitely things to be desired, but also ultimately doesn't take too much from the game, as there's a larger focus on puzzles and exploration, which thankfully there is some good variety on.

The game is not short actually, it should take someone 10-16 hours to complete it the first time. The game has eight main locations, and it should be noted that they get better as the game progresses (the later areas I found a lot more enjoyable and interesting than the first few). The ultimate trial in the game comes from the second main location, The Graveyard. This location drags on, has a lot of backtracking, and honestly is probably the worst location in the game. But it's after this point the game also starts to get a lot better after the fact.

The puzzles are varied and fun, ranging from astronomical puzzles, riddle puzzles, slide tile puzzles, visual puzzles, memory puzzles, and more. The harder puzzles also have a 'solve it' option if you get stuck on them. However, a few puzzles were lifted directly out of old horror games and just altered around a bit, the most notable one being a clone of the Piano Puzzle from Silent Hill 1.

There's a few clone elements here actually. The game has a few scares and a few of them are effective, but a few were carbon-copied from Resident Evil and Silent Hill.

ss_b2093335266e4e77160faf4e799342fcc880903a.600x338.jpg

And this is all ignoring the game's biggest problem; it's performance. The developers chose a very old engine to make the game, and it has a lot of problems. You have to manually resize the window. The game crashes every so often. While I had no issues running it, some people have to overcome hurdles just to make it work. A lot of this is on the engine the developers chose, which pre-dates even the Source Engine, but why the developers chose this engine and rolled with it when it has so many problems especially on modern machines is beyond me.

And generally speaking I wouldn't call this a good game, or a game for everyone to experience. Honestly, if you do not have severe love for the genre, you should probably pass. There are far better horror games, and this game's problems can wear thin if you're not patient. The game gets better as it goes along, but it's nowhere near the quality of, say, Resident Evil or Silent Hill.

But as a genre enthusiast I actually did enjoy my time with it. I'm a gamer that has played a lot of horror games from all different eras of the genre. The good atmosphere and scares in places, music, puzzles, and interesting environments later in was enough for me. I wouldn't recommend it if you don't really love the genre or lack patience, but there are some interesting ideas and moments here for fans of the genre, and while it lacks elements it really shouldn't (this game would of honestly been so much better with a better story and enemy selection), it did keep enough going for me to want to keep going.

Difficult, flawed, and only really for genre enthusiasts with patience and acceptance for flaws, the game isn't a hidden gem, but rather a mixed bag of good and bad which managed to keep me interested during its 10-16 hour campaign. It's really not for everyone, and it's not what I would call a good game, but it was interesting to see a raw low-budget modern indie take on the genre with clearly bigger ambitions and heart from people who loved the genre, but missed a few notes of what makes it what it is, but tackle other areas fairly well.

----

As an abide, I was impressed with the variety of locations. To explain in basic, the locations go like this in the game
Forest 1 (Gates) > Grave Keepers House > Graveyard 1 (Crypts) > Mansion > Sewers 1 (Tunnels) > Graveyard 2 (Church) > Forest 2 (Doll Forest) > Forest 3 (River-Side Train Tracks) > Farmhouse > Hospital > Sewers 2 (Water Facility)

Miguel81

Copons

how's the controller support in Don't Starve?

I wanna get back to it (tho.. I should probably get the DLC) but I don't wanna get up.

Late answer so you probably already got up for something (like going to sleep?).

I checked it out shortly after they added it and while it was overall fine, it had some stuff pretty annoying going on.
My memory is a bit rusty, but IIRC left side menu was controlled by like trigger+left stick, and the bottom side one with the right stick.
While it is totally fine to play like this, when you open the map, the bottom side menu remains active for you to inadvertently eat all your hard earned beefalo poo.
And it happens awfully frequently, as to use a menu item it's just a matter to select it with the right stick (and obviously you're going to select your most valuable one before checking the map) and pressing like A (and if you're like me, randomly pressing buttons on the map just because, it will happens always).

But anyway, months passed so they probably fixed it. And if they hadn't, well we're all big boys, totally able to overcome the grief of inadvertently trashing items.

i7geJAeCooVzg.png

i'm all ready for project beast

i might finish my ng++ playthrough, respec'd as a mage so i'd try something different and it's been fun but i want to play something else now :p

i still gotta finish ass creed 3

Congrats and welcome to the club.
I'm ready for project beast too... except I haven't bought a PS4 yet. ;)

Thanks for the info guys.

Hah I was hoping that's the case, there are other games were doing such a thing awards you the Cheevo/Trophy.

Are you playing with the 60 FPS fix? Cuz the game looks so fucking good at 60 FPS.

Some quick tips: Try to max out the Gun upgrades and the sword upgrades in order to dish out the most damage.

You can transition from a block to a dodge and the game will still let you do a dodge counter.

Don't bother spending cash on the Beauties until after beating the game and avoid Koharu since her Gigolo mission causes crashes.

Me play an action game without 60fps? What am I, a console warrior? :p
Yeah, I got it all tweaked up... even got my Japanese VAs (though I found it odd that it wasn't under audio options -- which is why I glossed over it in the main menu. :lol

I have a few complaints and the game is ridiculous in some terms, but I like how it feels and can't wait to get some more practice and abilities.

416 to us 50 pp Peasants~

Y'know, that's easily fixed.

Late answer so you probably already got up for something (like going to sleep?).

I checked it out shortly after they added it and while it was overall fine, it had some stuff pretty annoying going on.
My memory is a bit rusty, but IIRC left side menu was controlled by like trigger+left stick, and the bottom side one with the right stick.
While it is totally fine to play like this, when you open the map, the bottom side menu remains active for you to inadvertently eat all your hard earned beefalo poo.
And it happens awfully frequently, as to use a menu item it's just a matter to select it with the right stick (and obviously you're going to select your most valuable one before checking the map) and pressing like A (and if you're like me, randomly pressing buttons on the map just because, it will happens always).

But anyway, months passed so they probably fixed it. And if they hadn't, well we're all big boys, totally able to overcome the grief of inadvertently trashing items.

You're talking about the same developer that can't be arsed to port the trophies to steam achievements when there obviously seems to be a want/demand for it. Screw you, Klei.

Copons

CYou're talking about the same developer that can't be arsed to port the trophies to steam achievements when there obviously seems to be a want/demand for it. Screw you, Klei.

Uh, I never noticed Don't Starve doesn't have achievs... :eek:
Still, fixing a dumb thing like controls remaining active while map is open should be easy enough to be done in 5 to 10 minutes, upload to Steam included.
On the other hand, if a game wasn't designed for achievement in the first place, adding them from scratch could be a pain in the ass (and I don't know how Steam and PSN achievs work, or if it would be possible to, in some ways, copy&paste from one system to the other).

AsylumX

Valve is starting to do more traditional forms of marketing for Steam by setting up kiosks at some Best Buys:

Obol8VZ.jpg

If you look closely, there are two separate things. On one side you have the gift cards (that's why there is a steamOS like backdrop) and a PC for sale. One has nothing to do with the other from a commercial point of view. Maybe they run out of gift cards and stuck a PC there to fill the gap...

I really like Watch_Dogs but I disabled the online. I did the first tutorial invasion mission where you're getting hacked, which was kind of neat but then the game forces you into an online hacking mission immediately afterwards. You can't choose to continue on with the campaign or screw around in the openworld, you have to complete the hacking mission...unless you disable online, which I did. I re-enabled online immediately afterwards and was able to choose to progress through the game how I wanted. But then I started getting invaded while simply trying to complete openworld activities, the online component began to interfere with what I wanted to be doing. So I disabled it again, don't think I'll turn it back on until I've completed the campaign.

Uh, I never noticed Don't Starve doesn't have achievs... :eek:
Still, fixing a dumb thing like controls remaining active while map is open should be easy enough to be done in 5 to 10 minutes, upload to Steam included.
On the other hand, if a game wasn't designed for achievement in the first place, adding them from scratch could be a pain in the ass (and I don't know how Steam and PSN achievs work, or if it would be possible to, in some ways, copy&paste from one system to the other).

Pretty sure all of the platforms basically have some sort of API for dealing with achievements/trophies. If a game has the code to track whether it was earned or not, I think it should be relatively trivial to port them (as is evidenced by pretty much all games with achievements ported to steam having the same exact achievement lists).

At least if the programming back end works the way it *should* it shouldn't be a ton of work.

I really like Watch_Dogs but I disabled the online. I did the first tutorial invasion mission where you're getting hacked, which was kind of neat but then the game forces you into an online hacking mission immediately afterwards. You can't choose to continue on with the campaign or screw around in the openworld, you have to complete the hacking mission...unless you disable online, which I did. I re-enabled online immediately afterwards and was able to choose to progress through the game how I wanted. But then I started getting invaded while simply trying to complete openworld activities, the online component began to interfere with what I wanted to be doing. So I disabled it again, don't think I'll turn it back on until I've completed the campaign.

Sounds like you would HATE Dark Souls & Dark Souls 2... especially Dark Souls 2.

Nzyme32

A thought occurred that this whole SFIV AE key thing might blow up in peoples faces.

If the steamworks key is generated around the GFWL key, it might be possible for the steamworks key generated to be the same for both copies, ie the first person to receive the steamworks version may be the only one to keep it

Got another set of keys. Instructions

ModBot said:
Instructions for ashecitism:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dirty Bomb #1 -- MB-D9EA478B3391ACB3 - Taken by Milamber. 2 entrants total.
Dirty Bomb #2 -- MB-DBCDDB9305408141 - Taken by Trellisaze. 4 entrants total.
Dirty Bomb #3 -- MB-BEEBCC77A1FFBBE6 - Taken by saunderez. 1 entrants total.

t1401442140z1.png

Copons

Pretty sure all of the platforms basically have some sort of API for dealing with achievements/trophies. If a game has the code to track whether it was earned or not, I think it should be relatively trivial to port them (as is evidenced by pretty much all games with achievements ported to steam having the same exact achievement lists).

At least if the programming back end works the way it *should* it shouldn't be a ton of work.

No, ok, I'm aware of that. :)
What I meant was, like, if you have "counter" achievs (like: kill 100 crows, harvest 100 berries) you need to create a counter variable for each "achievable" event that eventually will trigger an API function that unlock the relative achievement.
Similarly, if there's an "event" achiev (like: build a science machine, fall into a wormhole), you need to write the trigger somewhere in the code.

If Klei didn't plan to use achievs at first (nevermind what happens on PSN, as AFAIK trophies are mandatory), it could be painful to track down every single instance of triggers to unlock achievs, plus an awful lot of testing to check if everything works fine (and in a harvesting game, it could take a LONG time).

I don't know. Yeah, having trophies and not giving us achievs is a cheap move, but it's not the worst ever omg. At least they didn't publish on GFWL, think about it! :D

A thought occurred that this whole SFIV AE key thing might blow up in peoples faces.

If the steamworks key is generated around the GFWL key, it might be possible for the steamworks key generated to be the same for both copies, ie the first person to receive the steamworks version may be the only one to keep it

you don't get a separate key

1. You bought Super Street Fighter IV AE for Steam.

On May 30, 2014, the transition from GFWL to Steamworks will happen, and your GFWL enabled game will still function as normal for the foreseeable future.
You will automatically be able to download the Steamworks version of the game via the Steam client for free. Once you boot up the new version of the game, it will prompt you to copy over your GFWL save data. Select “YES” and you’ll be ready to go!

Sounds like you would HATE Dark Souls & Dark Souls 2... especially Dark Souls 2.

I own Demon's Souls, played through it numerous times. I own both Dark Souls 1 and 2 but found both kind of boring and didn't play either much. Heresy, I know. The invasions in the Souls games don't annoy me, it suited those games and added to the overall tension.

In Watch_Dogs it does annoy me. It's like the GTA IV phone calls, you'll be in the middle of a shoot out or just screwing around and Roman phones you up because he wants to go bowling. At least with GTA IV you could hang up or ignore the phone call. In Watch_Dogs you have to drop whatever it is you're doing and hunt down some random asshole. It actively interferes with what I want to be doing. So for now, the online is disabled.

JaseC

There's nothing preventing Capcom from having Valve revoke the GFWL keys that were generated for a different account (although it'd probably be a bit of a logistical headache), but what you've described can't happen since games that use Steamworks for MP don't use keys. You have retail keys, sure, but these are just so Steam knows which product to add to your account -- the games themselves don't use them.

I don't know what level to donate at on Humble Indie Bundle! I don't know if Game Character Hub is worth it or not or if I'll be entering the RPG Maker contest! Le Sigh!

#FirstWorldProblems

kudoboi

A few other commonly-suggested fixes are:

1) Delete the game's folder in steamapps\downloading and restart Steam; or, if there is an existing installation, move the folder out of steamapps\common, delete the game through Steam, move the aforementioned folder back, and reinstall
2) Delete the Steam\appcache folder and restart Steam
3) Set the security permissions of the folder Steam is downloading to/updating to Full Control (Right-click -> Properties -> Security)

What's weird in your case is that there's no description of the cause.

already tried 2) and 3). will try 1) later. Even reinstalling steam did not fix it though so I assume the issue isn't with steam itself.. However, this problem makes it almost impossible to download or update any games

jediyoshi

Half-Life 2 updated with Oculus support

Improved readability of the UI in VR
Removed the IPD calibration tool. TF2 will now obey the Oculus configuration file. Use the Oculus calibration tool in your SDK or install and run "OpenVR" under Tools in Steam to calibrate your IPD.
Added dropdown to enable VR mode in the Video options. Removed the -vr command line option.
Added the ability to switch in and out of VR mode without quitting the game
By default VR mode will run full screen. To switch back to a borderless window set the vr_force_windowed convar.
Added support for VR mode on Linux
Added VR support to Half-Life: Source
Fix for an issue some players were seeing for the second train in Route Kanal getting stuck and blocking forward progress.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/220/announcements/detail/1765722131182157088?l=english

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom