• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

GOAT commentator.

Hahaha I guess that makes us the 1%. Shame he gave up on football, always good during the Olympics. I mean Motson and Tyler are alright but good old Bazza had a charm the others didn't. Don't get me started on Clive Tyldesley.

This...this is tagworthy.

I've said stupider things before and will more that likely do so again!

I think the Jedi Knight games did this way better. I still liked TFU, mind you
except for the Star Destroyed.
Fuck that shit.

I never had a problem with that section. Must just be really lucky as a few people bring it up as really frustrating. When I used to play the Jedi Knight games it was more a competitive environment than one of chilling out and mucking about. Now that I'm old, decripid and has too little free time so something that I can pop on and have fun despite being awful is my cup of tea.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's lame hope I can get mine soon. Do I gotta tell them I have Battlefront 2? I've just now installed it.

Don't worry, it's an automatic process. Valve put you on the waiting list for a key when you purchased the game through their store. Everything now depends on the turnaround from LucasArts (Disney).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I never had a problem with that section. Must just be really lucky as a few people bring it up as really frustrating. When I used to play the Jedi Knight games it was more a competitive environment than one of chilling out and mucking about. Now that I'm old, decripid and has too little free time so something that I can pop on and have fun despite being awful is my cup of tea.
I had to check a guide to see what had to be done. Turns out I was doing the right thing, and I just had to keep doing it for several minutes more. Totally ruined the mood :/

Whenever I played the Jedi Outcast multiplayer 99% of the time it was against bots, so I could (and did) set them on Easy and have a blast killing everyone. I should do that again, it was great.

Dr Dogg

Speaking of different people. different tastes:

(taken from Fallout 3 thread)

I... just... wow... wow...
wow~!

Hey you missed the Classic Lara Croft thread then yesterday.

To the above thought it's like saying McDonalds is the restaurant that got you into fine dining.

Still choice is a good thing I guess.

I had to check a guide to see what had to be done. Turns out I was doing the right thing, and I just had to keep doing it for several minutes more. Totally ruined the mood :/

Whenever I played the Jedi Outcast multiplayer 99% of the time it was against bots, so I could (and did) set them on Easy and have a blast killing everyone. I should do that again, it was great.

I think I've read that the game prompts you to go in one direction where you actually have to go in the opposite. If ever there's an example of tutorial prompts needing to die it's ones that tell you the wrong information.

Way back when in 1999, when the world was all sepia toned and before I had what was a 56k internet connection (well a 20 meter telephone extension cable dangled through a busy student house at garrotting height) we used to play Unreal Tournament against bots for hours on end. When we all chipped in for a PS2 we did the same with TimeSplitters via split screen to make up the numbers. I remember it being way more fun than today's multiplayer so how much of that is true I don't know.

Arthea

wow~!

I find it much more perplexing that millions play CoD games year after year, I would go insane out of boredom, if I did that. (><)
Sometimes it's possible to understand different tastes, like I can understand people liking shooters in general, but sticking with one kind of game all the time? I can't comprehend that.

Hey you missed the Classic Lara Croft thread then yesterday.

what about it? can you summarize?
I'm too lazy to find and read it

I think I might need to loose my 5 hrs of Dark Souls 2 progress and start over again next weekend :(

Anyone knows if Melentia can be revived?
I asked in the DS2 thread but haven't been told if it's possible.

Zafir

Grief.exe

And nah, it isn't destroying steam at all. Steam works just fine still. Research your purchases like you always should. Nobody is forcing you to buy those games and even yet, there are good games released everyday.

It is hurting the sales of good indie games that come out.

For these smaller releases, their marketing and exposure comes down to the length of time on the front page. Either through new releases, top sellers, or some form of daily deal.

Length of time on the front page directly correlates to more sales and has been key to marketing lesser-known indie titles.

With the flood of garbage that Valve has allowed onto the store, legitimately good releases are being pushed off the new releases list in a matter of hours, rather than days. This is directly impacting their sales potential.

It's less of an issue for us, as we spend time discussing these things on GAF and have become increasingly well informed. The average consumer, is not so well informed.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I think I might need to loose my 5 hrs of Dark Souls 2 progress and start over again next weekend :(

Anyone knows if Melentia can be revived?
I asked in the DS2 thread but haven't been told if it's possible.

You can but it costs Souls. A grave stone will appear in Majula and you can revive her

If the full game is like the beta http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/1pb2n5/offering_souls_to_the_grave_of_an_npc/ suggests she has a grave. Issue wirth graves is you have to pay souls every time you want to use them.

You can but it costs Souls. A grave stone will appear in Majula and you can revive her

Thanks. I'll try to find the grave. If I can't revive her I'll start over, now that I know what's ahead I can hopefully do those 5 hours in half the time.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I would argue Outlast had some tense and scary moments in the first couple of hours, but it gets less scary as it goes on and is not nearly as scary as I think the game thinks it is, at least for me myself. I'll do a full review sometime, but my basic impression is that I think it's good and has a few good scares and atmospheric moments, but it ends up relying on too many of the same tricks, and unfortunately there isn't much substance to the game beyond the horror and simple parkour.

wow~!

The 'cause' may not be that great, but more people getting into Fallout 3 isn't a bad thing.

These front-backstabs are getting a little old when trying to finish this damn BellBro covenant.

I've found I can only do BellBros in short bursts before getting annoyed. Front-backstabs....estus chugging....rolling away from my backstabs.

It's still so much damn fun.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

For these smaller releases, their marketing and exposure comes down to the length of time on the front page. Either through new releases, top sellers, or some form of daily deal.

Length of time on the front page directly correlates to more sales and has been key to marketing lesser-known indie titles.

With the flood of garbage that Valve has allowed onto the store, legitimately good releases are being pushed off the new releases list in a matter of hours, rather than days. This is directly impacting their sales potential.

It's less of an issue for us, as we spend time discussing these things on GAF and have become increasingly well informed. The average consumer, is not so well informed.

Steam needs to make their front page view the 25 most recent new releases at the rate they're releasing games.

Finished up with Dark Souls 2 at about 43 hours.

+ Still a "souls" game. Hence it is pretty amazing.
+ I think it is the best game in the series mechanically, which includes the healing, summons and even fast travel. It is just put together really well (in theory). This includes enemies vanishing, which was never a problem due to burning at the bonfire (although this is a bit OP I feel).
+ There is certainly plenty of content for the asking price.
+ Apart from a server outage, online play was available and smooth.
+ I really liked a few of the areas like (area names)
The gutter and black gulch.
. While that may seem strange I just enjoy the atmosphere. It feels more like Demon Souls and requires careful patience, not easy repetition.
+ The game at least felt "finished" in a way that Dark Souls 1 did not. The game was at least more even in quality, even if it didn't quite reach the heights.
+ Performance was flawless and I didn't seem to hit any bugs or issues.

- Although the game is well designed, the content is of a very variable quality (graphics and layout). I think more than the other games it feels like everything was designed by different people and stitched together at the end.
- Some of the plot points are a complete joke (minor)
Having to gather all the souls to get through a door you could easily get around was terrible. The game did this several times, probably due to the above point and I feel it cheapened the experience.
- The boss design never reached any great heights. It also felt like summoning was often needed, not so much because the bosses were hard, just that they were not much fun.
- There doesn't seem to be as much hidden stuff as Dark Souls 1. I don't feel like there is not much to go back to, but a NG+ run at some stage will happen I'm sure.

Overall a great game. I'm not going to say it is worse than Dark Souls 1, because right after I finished the first game, I thought it was worse than Demon Souls (but later came around).

But it is worse than Dark Souls 1. It is also still brilliant.

I can't wait for the custom store fronts, it should lessen the problem.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=813064

Nothing too harsh or mental just that the OP said they didn't like new Lara and wanted Classic Lara back (in terms of gameplay) and then proceeded to mention Underworld.

Yeah, not what I'd call classic but everyone has their entry point into a series.

What I find more surprising in that thread were some members saying TR2013 being the best entry in the series, I haven't played it but the from the majority of SteamGAF opinion paint it like an uninspired Uncharted clone without many puzzles.

Copons

Well, but there is also the point where average consumer is just not interested in good indie games (aside from those hyped by mainstream sites, like, say, a Super Meat Boy).
The average consumer is more into CoD or AssCred (or, you know, consoles :D ).
Consumers into indie gaming are more or less... us, discussing these things on GAF or any other hardcore gaming forum.
But then again, I'm totally out of target here, as I barely ever open the store homepage (and yeah, probably because it sucks), so I could get it all wrong.

FloatOn

nice work. I absolutely like it less than Dark Souls 1 at this point. I'm in the shrine of amana now and that may change but yeah, the critisism about the bosses and the world layout are 100% valid. It's just not up to the same standard.

There are some really amazing moments though and I still feel like the Souls series is the undisputed king of action rpg.

I'm quite excited to see what this project beast is all about and I still need to go back and beat Demon Souls.

Arthea

but how can we be sure about it? I understand that being on front page increases likelihood of someone noticing the game. But we don't know how much. I always thought that what mostly hurts some games sales it's really horrible description system on steam. Like finding the game to your liking based on genre preferences was totally impossible on steam, now it's more possible with custom tag system but still far from perfect or even good.
Also descriptions of many games aren't doing some games any good. As I imagine publishers write these? well, they are doing bad job.

I'm not sure it's main reason, but as I still can remember being new to steam, that was my main problem with it. If I already knew the game, then no problems, if I wanted to find something new that might interest me, there was no such possibility without searching trough hundreds of games with weirdest genre tags and no real explanation what the game is about (mostly speaking about gameplay mechanics, of course). Useless, pointless and frustrating, not to mention time consuming.

edited: I actually wish steam had game presenting and tagging like gog, or even shiny loot, not kidding

thanks!

I'm quite excited to see what this project beast is all about and I still need to go back and beat Demon Souls.

Me too.

I think everything still works perfectly well, but the game needs a shake up in content. Hopefully the new project provides this in a way that makes a future Dark Souls 3 at least feel fresh.

It makes sense to some extent, but is there a source to verify and can you list which particular good indie title has been damaged by this? I would imagine if it is good (indie or not), it will be a featured title and get its chance to shine.

sprinkles

You were way faster than me. Granted, I leveled up the Sun Bro covernant but I still clocked just under 60 hours. But I agree with you that I liked the first game (just a little bit) better. I started Demons Souls yesterday so I can finally say "I played that one too".

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
About old games, how is SiN Gold? it's on sale on GOG for 4$.

I haven't played the game in at least a decade, so all I can really say is that it's a solid shooter with some interesting world interaction elements, particularly considering its time (ATMs, phones, and so on). For whatever reason, the Steam version of the game is actually slightly censored (just little things like no nudey calendars), but the GOG version is not. I contacted MumboJumbo earlier in the year asking if it intends to bring SiN Gold to Steam but just got the usual "We've no information about that" response, however assuming a six-month exclusivity period it should hit Steam at some point in August.

FloatOn

Me too.

I think everything still works perfectly well, but the game needs a shake up in content. Hopefully the new project provides this in a way that makes a future Dark Souls 3 at least feel fresh.

I love the tight level design of Dark Souls 1 + 2 but I really hope 3 is a bit more open. I really felt that corridor effect in 2 especially. I'm not saying I want bombast elder scrolls open world but if they can make it feel less point A to B I think I would appreciate it.

Also, it would be rad as shit to do mounted combat in a Souls game. Especially after fighting the chariot boss in DkS2.

Dr Dogg

What I find more surprising in that thread were some members saying TR2013 being the best entry in the series, I haven't played it but the from the majority of SteamGAF opinion paint it like an uninspired Uncharted clone without many puzzles.

Pirateking has a thread going on now about if you're "For" or "Against" (yeah I thought Dyack was back!) a game fundamentally changing it's gameplay whilst still retaining the franchise name and cites Resident Evil 4 as an example. I'm on my phone so don't really have the ability to write a decent reply but come to think about it some people only get attracted to a franchise because of a change. I has never played a Spec Ops game before The Line, others didn't try XCOM/UFO until the more recent one, a lot of people only got invested in Fallout when Bethesda took over. I guess a lot of people were more after an action orientated Uncharted style experience than the puzzle solving, exploration based platformer that got me interested in Tomb Raider.

Zafir

I want to go back and play Dark Souls after skipping it, but don't want to bother until it gets Steamworks. Hurry up Steamworks. :(

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My thought of the morning: Valve isn't big enough to "open the floodgates" like this to developers / publishers.

For example, the "game" Air Control. Not only does it look terrible, but it also violates copyright. The main song used in the trailer and game is "Faidherbe Square" from a band called "ProleteR", and it was used without permission or the proper attribution.

The band's record label has filed a complaint with Valve, but the trailer can still be viewed.

The game also uses the Lufthansa logos without permission.

If you don't put a lot of effort into curating the games that show up on the platform like you used to, get ready to hire a whole team of people that can deal with this sort of issue - because I assure you that once you completely remove the barrier of entry, things like this will be much more common.

And record labels don't mess around - the legal liability for a company like Valve could potentially be quite significant if they don't take any efforts to take things like this down immediately when reported.

So that's my thought of the day - if Valve opens the proverbial floodgates, they need to have a team at the ready that can handle things like copyright complaints from content creators.

EDIT: this post is kind of a "JaseC alert" in case it's actually released.

JaseC

I want to go back and play Dark Souls after skipping it, but don't want to bother until it gets Steamworks. Hurry up Steamworks. :(

Still no movement on that front, which is a little surprising since I assumed Scamco would want to get it patched as soon as possible, especially considering time isn't exactly on its side -- we're now less than three months shy of GFWL's sunset date.

zkylon

zkylewd

+ Still a "souls" game. Hence it is pretty amazing.
+ I think it is the best game in the series mechanically, which includes the healing, summons and even fast travel. It is just put together really well (in theory). This includes enemies vanishing, which was never a problem due to burning at the bonfire (although this is a bit OP I feel).
+ There is certainly plenty of content for the asking price.
+ Apart from a server outage, online play was available and smooth.
+ I really liked a few of the areas like (area names)
The gutter and black gulch.
. While that may seem strange I just enjoy the atmosphere. It feels more like Demon Souls and requires careful patience, not easy repetition.
+ The game at least felt "finished" in a way that Dark Souls 1 did not. The game was at least more even in quality, even if it didn't quite reach the heights.
+ Performance was flawless and I didn't seem to hit any bugs or issues.

- Although the game is well designed, the content is of a very variable quality (graphics and layout). I think more than the other games it feels like everything was designed by different people and stitched together at the end.
- Some of the plot points are a complete joke (minor)
Having to gather all the souls to get through a door you could easily get around was terrible. The game did this several times, probably due to the above point and I feel it cheapened the experience.
- The boss design never reached any great heights. It also felt like summoning was often needed, not so much because the bosses were hard, just that they were not much fun.
- There doesn't seem to be as much hidden stuff as Dark Souls 1. I don't feel like there is not much to go back to, but a NG+ run at some stage will happen I'm sure.

Overall a great game. I'm not going to say it is worse than Dark Souls 1, because right after I finished the first game, I thought it was worse than Demon Souls (but later came around).

yea that seems to mirror pretty much what i'm thinking so far

i'll make my own review when my spider cave torment is over and i can get back to blazing through it, but the feeling the game gives me is that level and boss design is generally less realized. not really half assed but there's so much more than could and should've been done with some areas and the game just falls short, entire dungeons leading up to empty rooms and bosses with 3 or 4 attacks you can kill in under 10 hits.

and yeah spiders or no spiders it's still among the best things to come out of this generation

My thought of the morning: Valve isn't big enough to "open the floodgates" like this to developers / publishers.

For example, the "game" Air Control. Not only does it look terrible, but it also violates copyright. The main song used in the trailer and game is "Faidherbe Square" from a band called "ProleteR", and it was used without permission or the proper attribution.
wow what the fuck

Zafir

Still no movement on that front, which is a little surprising since I assumed Scamco would want to get it patched as soon as possible, especially considering time isn't exactly on its side -- we're now less than three months shy of GFWL's sunset date.

Yeah, I find it especially odd since they patched GFWL out on Ace Combat recently. I guess they must be waiting on From or something.

pirateking has a thread going on now about if you're "For" or "Against" (yeah I thought Dyack was back!) a game fundamentally changing it's gameplay whilst still retaining the franchise name and cites Resident Evil 4 as an example. I'm on my phone so don't really have the ability to write a decent reply but come to think about it some people only get attracted to a franchise because of a change. I has never played a Spec Ops game before The Line, others didn't try XCOM/UFO until the more recent one, a lot of people only got invested in Fallout when Bethesda took over. I guess a lot of people were more after an action orientated Uncharted style experience than the puzzle solving, exploration based platformer that got me interested in Tomb Raider.

I kind of noticed it when I created a thread about two videos showing RE2 with the gameplay like RE4, I just then noticed how divided is the fanbase, and it must apply to other series aswell.

Milamber

"Why would we fix this if we can just get everyone to buy DS2 instead."
- SCUMCO Exec

Levyne

Banned
I thought that spider part was going to be longer than it was when I was first reading impressions. It felt like there really weren't that many.

It helps that they weren't hairy spiders...or bigger, then I probably would have freaked out more, haha.

Forget all the hate in taste, ITS CINCO DE MAYO!

Another excuse for me to make more Mojitos.

That reminds me....my wife makes these margarita cupcakes around this time of year. Hmm....

I'm about 20 hours in and I agree. It's still fantastic and it's still a Souls game, but doesn't feel as polished. The world and bosses feel pretty uninspired. The one thing I just loved about DS1 was the interconnected world and the terrifying scale of the boss battles (gaping dragon, hydra, to name a few). So far, that doesn't seem to be the case. It's still great, but overall a step down from DS1.

Zafir

I can only compare to Demon's Souls, but I feel the Dark Souls 2 world feels a bit more disjointed. In Demon's Souls the areas seemed like continuations/evolutions of the previous one. That's the case with some bits in Dark Souls 2, but not all, other times you're going through Heides tower and then you're randomly in No Man's Wharf. Same for Earthen Peak and then randomly you get to Iron Keep.

JaseC

Hopefully you will Paypal some money to chubigans whenever ScamFirst puts up The Oil Blue on Steam?

The app for The Oil Blue was reappropriated for Mashed; somebody just forgot to change the name of the beta testing sub that Steam automatically generated when SF published the app. That's why the app has a much lower id than the other games SF put up alongside it (281820 versus 297570/297620).

dream

I guess I feel like Dark Souls 2 was made for someone like me, who bought Demon's Souls and Dark Souls (twice!), made very honest efforts to get into them, but ultimately hating both games vehemently. I don't know if Dark Souls 2 has been dumbed down, but it's certainly more accessible (fast travel and all those life gems are godsends) in a way that finally lets me understand how this series is supposed to be played and giving me a reason to go back to the first two installments--and hopefully actually get them--once I'm finished with this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom