• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Dante's hair turns white. Is he a Witcher? He hunts lame-Os who can't handle the bizniss end of his shit from the downtown wayside.

Annubis

*Something about idiots killing jshackles*

Take the time off. Nothing is ever worth sacrificing your health.

maybe write a small relevant faq and send that with autoreply as well as directing ppl to the forums

I do support at work and people never read FAQs.
Heck, most people don't even read the instructions you give them to fix their issue... they hope it will fix itself instead of following the steps.

Shadownet

Banned
You should retired back to your throne in Atlantis. Sit back, open a few bottles and watch some relaxing sea life.

Feel better soon my friend. You have more than earned yourself a break.

I'm assuming the name of the game is referencing Geralt and not all the other witchers. Also, whatever nerd.
b1cool73r52.png

You assumed correctly.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I do support at work and people never read FAQs.
Heck, most people don't even read the instructions you give them to fix their issue... they hope it will fix itself instead of following the steps.

I never read instructions. You probably hate me.

Also, bicycles are expensive :(

Sorry in advance for going too off-topic here, but I spent the day with my doctor and the news wasn't exactly good. I was basically told that I need to do everything possible to reduce stress levels (my job is actually pretty active/stressful in the summer, not to mention juggling a household of 4, being a dad, my daughter is graduating next week, etc etc etc) so I've got to take a bit of time off to take it as easy as possible or my health will continue to deteriorate.

One of the things I'm unfortunately going to have to cut (temporarily) is support for Enhanced Steam and Idle Master. Of course the programs will still work, but I'm (again, temporarily) going to have to stop answering people's support questions daily. It may sound weird, but I've found that being responsible for answering support emails, even for free and under no monetary obligation kind of compounds my stress issues. It didn't help that Valve had some bugs yesterday, like prices missing from the wishlist page, and I immediately got about 50 emails in the span of an hour ranging from "I downloaded Enhanced Steam and now I can't see the prices any more on the wishlist. I uninstalled the extension and I still can't see them! Help!" to "Ur program sux cause i cant see wat the shit iwant costs naow...". And this is on top of the usual daily questions I answer about why Idle Master doesn't work with F2P games or Family Sharing games, if there is a way to make Idle Master pad out their playtime, how come Enhanced Steam doesn't let people play games on ChromeOS, or why the "portable" version of Idle Master won't run on Android. Yes, I've seriously gotten at least one of each of these emails in the past 24 hours. I always do my best to answer any of them that aren't rude, but I found out today that it's a contributing factor to something that's literally killing me.

Of course, it's not the best time to take a break (with the Summer Sale arriving soon) so here are my plans. First of all, yes I'll still be making the monthly SteamGAF OT. I'm not sure about making and keeping the sale OT updated so that might be up to someone else like SalsaShark who usually does this. Secondly, I'll be adding two additional servers to the Enhanced Steam API pool. This will (hopefully) be enough to keep up with the load I'm expecting to see during the Summer Sale. Additionally, I'll be making some usability changes to Enhanced Steam once the sale starts, but only in the sense that I'll try to keep all of the features working. At this time, I'm not planning on adding any additional features between now and when the sale starts, nor do I plan on adding any new features specifically for the sale. But I'll do my best to keep everything up and running as much as possible for everyone. Finally, I'm going to set up an automatic reply on the Enhanced Steam support contact email letting people know that I cannot help them at this time and directing them to the official Steam groups where other users may be able to answer their questions.

I'm planning on bouncing back from this and supporting Enhanced Steam and Idle Master as much as possible in the future, but I honestly think it's going to be 2-3 months for what I've got to clear up so I can get back on track with things. Hopefully everyone understands. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to keep everyone in the loop.
Don't worry about it man. Take care of yourself jshackles.

Can't turn down all these good things about Phantom Breaker. :)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Almost as good as collecting every game on Steam, is being relaxed and healthy enough to appreciate having all those games on Steam. Play them maybe too, I guess, if that's something you like to do.
So please, get rest and relaxation and take care of all that you need to jshackles.

back on topic the best open world dog game is Sleeping Dogs and not Watch Dogs am i right?

Neither are Lego Island though.

Dante's hair turns white. Is he a Witcher? He hunts lame-Os who can't handle the bizniss end of his shit from the downtown wayside.

Pizzas are clearly the downfall of Witchers then.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Sorry in advance for going too off-topic here, but I spent the day with my doctor and the news wasn't exactly good. I was basically told that I need to do everything possible to reduce stress levels (my job is actually pretty active/stressful in the summer, not to mention juggling a household of 4, being a dad, my daughter is graduating next week, etc etc etc) so I've got to take a bit of time off to take it as easy as possible or my health will continue to deteriorate.

One of the things I'm unfortunately going to have to cut (temporarily) is support for Enhanced Steam and Idle Master. Of course the programs will still work, but I'm (again, temporarily) going to have to stop answering people's support questions daily. It may sound weird, but I've found that being responsible for answering support emails, even for free and under no monetary obligation kind of compounds my stress issues. It didn't help that Valve had some bugs yesterday, like prices missing from the wishlist page, and I immediately got about 50 emails in the span of an hour ranging from "I downloaded Enhanced Steam and now I can't see the prices any more on the wishlist. I uninstalled the extension and I still can't see them! Help!" to "Ur program sux cause i cant see wat the shit iwant costs naow...". And this is on top of the usual daily questions I answer about why Idle Master doesn't work with F2P games or Family Sharing games, if there is a way to make Idle Master pad out their playtime, how come Enhanced Steam doesn't let people play games on ChromeOS, or why the "portable" version of Idle Master won't run on Android. Yes, I've seriously gotten at least one of each of these emails in the past 24 hours. I always do my best to answer any of them that aren't rude, but I found out today that it's a contributing factor to something that's literally killing me.

Of course, it's not the best time to take a break (with the Summer Sale arriving soon) so here are my plans. First of all, yes I'll still be making the monthly SteamGAF OT. I'm not sure about making and keeping the sale OT updated so that might be up to someone else like SalsaShark who usually does this. Secondly, I'll be adding two additional servers to the Enhanced Steam API pool. This will (hopefully) be enough to keep up with the load I'm expecting to see during the Summer Sale. Additionally, I'll be making some usability changes to Enhanced Steam once the sale starts, but only in the sense that I'll try to keep all of the features working. At this time, I'm not planning on adding any additional features between now and when the sale starts, nor do I plan on adding any new features specifically for the sale. But I'll do my best to keep everything up and running as much as possible for everyone. Finally, I'm going to set up an automatic reply on the Enhanced Steam support contact email letting people know that I cannot help them at this time and directing them to the official Steam groups where other users may be able to answer their questions.

I'm planning on bouncing back from this and supporting Enhanced Steam and Idle Master as much as possible in the future, but I honestly think it's going to be 2-3 months for what I've got to clear up so I can get back on track with things. Hopefully everyone understands. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to keep everyone in the loop.

Congrats to your daughter!

And you're really not obligated to answer all those emails. Setting up an auto replay that points the the steam group seems smart. That way you can answer a question once, pin it, and never have to bother again. On top of that, for people who don't check the pinned stuff and make a new topic anyway, there will likely be other users who can help with the problem. That seems like a good way to cut down on the dedicated 1:1 support time you'd need to do in the future if you decided to start offering support again. Seems smart to cut all the unneccesary stresses out, best of luck to you bud.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shackles: You might find that making a one-off FAQ for some of those major issues, especially with Idle Master which really should be set it and forget it, would be a valuable exercise to help you cut the support tether + help resolve some of the common questions anyway

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Good luck, jshackles.

Don't let the Steam thread stress you out any more than necessary, either. I think the future OPs could easily be scaled back, too.

Lain

Health first, take care of yourself.

rtcn63

I didn't mean Stump. He's actually some sort of genetically-enhanced canine of the nobility. They don't need peanut butter or people. They'll go to war with us someday, and we might lose.

Vylash

dunno if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know how to solve an "unable to initialize steam libraries" error?

Woah, just take it easy, man.
Take care and get well soon.

Turfster

dunno if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know how to solve an "unable to initialize steam libraries" error?

Have you done the "burn it down and salt the earth" yet?
(Delete everything in the Steam folder except SteamApps and the exe - after creating a backup somewhere, of course)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
RE: Summer Sale: I've never thrown my hat into the ring for this there Steam thread, but I wouldn't mind doing the Summer Sale thread/s. Even if I'm working, I get home roughly half an hour before the store updates, which is how I was able to keep last year's Autumn Sale thread regularly updated. Eight-hour flash deals would complicate things a bit, but they haven't been seen since 2013, so I doubt they're coming back.

On a related note, if there's some sort of team-based meta-game again, it should have its own thread. Last year was a bit of a mess as the team-related discussion had a habit of getting in the way of general sale talk.

Edit: Oh, and Salsa could still do his fancy sale thread banner since I've neither the know-how nor tools to do it myself.

what the hell is going on in here?

On a related note, if there's some sort of team-based meta-game again, it should have its own thread. Last year was a bit of a mess as the team-related discussion had a habit of getting in the way of general sale talk.

So.... team-based meta-game discussions derailed the generic flood of "Is <xxxx game on sale> worth it?" and "is this the lowest price <xxxx game on sale> will go during the sale?". Oh no, the horror.

the drama about anime sometimes is so exaggerated :p

I ado agree on Evangelion being mediocre. Hell, I think all of the shows produced by Gainax are that.

With the exception of Gunbuster. Gunbuster is actually pretty good. You watched TTGL and Evangelion? Time to cleanse the palate by watching this.

]http://forums.fuwanovel.net/uploads/blog-0041713001425939186.jpg
Gunbuster and Diebuster are amazing.

Hope this really helps you. health always comes first. Stump FAQ idea seems good.

zkylon

zkylewd
do usb microphones exist

third mic i try and they either break or stop working or whatever and this is like less than a month old

im thinking the like slot thing might be busted

XShagrath

Take care of yourself, shackles. Your health is super important. ES can be put to the side and no one (at least none of us) will complain.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So.... team-based meta-game discussions derailed the generic flood of "Is <xxxx game on sale> worth it?" and "is this the lowest price <xxxx game on sale> will go during the sale?". Oh no, the horror.

Such questions, as annoying as they can be for more seasoned Steam users, tend to be legitimate as the bigger sales attract a lot of folks whose preferred gaming platform is something other than the PC. I'd rather assist with a question that's already been asked 20 times than read "DAMN YOU, GREEN! YOU HAD ONE JOB!" ad infinitum.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Such questions, as annoying as they can be for more seasoned Steam users, tend to be legitimate as the bigger sales attract a lot of folks whose preferred gaming platform is something other than the PC. I'd rather assist with a question that's already been asked 20 times than read "DAMN YOU, GREEN! YOU HAD ONE JOB!" ad infinitum.

Try as hard as you might, the meta game is still going to seep into both the sale thread and the regular Steam thread :p

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For those interested, check out the new Idle Master FAQs.

This generally covers the questions I get asked most often. I'll try to keep this FAQ list updated with anything that comes up, and I'll be putting an auto-responder on my email account that points here and to the ES FAQ page.

Milamber

Hello everyone, how has everyone been? I have been away since last weekend, not that anybody noticed anything or that I was being missed.

Anyway, my second gem was born in Sunday. A baby girl :)
Say hello to her :)
Congrats!

Have you had 'The Milamber Talk' with her yet?
Wha-!

She better stay away from Milamber
But I love little girls!

CF7eNiMUEAAPv9t.png

Forgot that mascots for the OS in japan were still a thing.
Aww yeah! New OS-tan. 10/10.

Aww yiss.

OS-tans.
High five!

Awesome. Gotta finish the first game tho.

You need a holiday, man. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom