• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Bladestorm: Nightmare is out on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/350310/

... and some actual in-game screenshots

XChgICn.jpg
qk2OEto.jpg
EVACoGn.jpg
ZfE6KI8.jpg

Was the original any good?

It was... interesting. A mixture of action and real time tactics, set in the Hundred Years War. Graphically it was a mixed bag, I'd say, but the gameplay was good (though it did get repetitive with time)

I'm gonna wait until this one is 75% or so though, 60 dollars is too much.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It was... interesting. A mixture of action and real time tactics, set in the Hundred Years War. Graphically it was a mixed bag, I'd say, but the gameplay was good (though it did get repetitive with time)

I'm gonna wait until this one is 75% or so though, 60 dollars is too much.

It's odd they didn't launch it with a small discount btw.

Lain

Here are some great examples of games with textures created for 720p or less.

Unless you think all of the above look the same quality as their on console counterparts, I'm sure you can see the huge benefits of simply rendering at 4K.

Rendering the games at higher resolutions gives those textures more clarity (especially for games that didn't have great texture filtering on consoles), but it also highlights how low quality some of those textures are.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Yury -- MB-ABF8D11DCE7CF245 - Taken by Bayonetta

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Rendering the games at higher resolutions gives those textures more clarity (especially for games that didn't have great texture filtering on consoles), but it also highlights how low quality some of those textures are.

Definitely, but rendering at 4K has huge benefits aside from simply texture clarity. Lower quality textures aren't going to look miraculous at 4K, but all other benefits of 4K compounded are still going to make a pretty profound difference.

One huge benefit that people don't mention enough and that screenshots can't show the benfit of is stability in motion. At higher resolutions, stuff like shimmer on fences, or wavy foliage is much less noticeable and distracting and things like trees blowing in the wind look much more convincing and impressive.

zkylon

zkylewd
so how skyrim-y is witcha3

i'm guessing conversations with npcs are gonna be much improved but does the game have like interesting quests and stuff?

or is it just like go into cave and loot and kill shit

we already there

Wolfenstein TNO/OB used megatextures. 40gb

Doom gonna use em too

funny how no one even mentioned the fact since people saw Rage (nother fantastic game with people in denial) and went "this tech sucks!"
Yeah, wonder if we're gonna see 2 disc games on consoles when that happens.

yea edited my post clarifying
The sidequests are some of the most interesting I've seen in an RPG. Just... they each have their own interesting stories and characters. Not like "hey, go kill 7 and a half wolves and bring me their pelts" or anything.

I mean, certain sidequests wouldn't be out of place as main quests. In this game or others.

didamangi

50 hours into Witcher 3 and finally made it to Novigrad. Holy crap.

38 hours in myself, but I can see how you get to 50 hours in, lots of side content in Velen left unexplored for me.

The Witcher contracts and the side quest are fun in that although they're formulaic in a sense, the amount of effort they put in the backstory accompanying them is great to see.

The feeling when you have a 4K TV but can't actually run any games at the resolution

I hear it taunting me, knowing it could show me the world ;-;

Xenoblade 3DS is kind of cute, although I still didn't spend more than an hour with it due to the dolphin version being 10000000000 times better. Sometimes portability isn't enough.

Would like to see Witcher 3 graphics at a similar level for fun.

zkylon

zkylewd
The sidequests are some of the most interesting I've seen in an RPG. Just... they each have their own interesting stories and characters. Not like "hey, go kill 7 and a half wolves and bring me their pelts" or anything.

I mean, certain sidequests wouldn't be out of place as main quests. In this game or others.
hmm alright

sort of a rant, i guess:
i think i really have a problem with spoilers... i mean, on games with multiple endings. I always try to get the best ending, and end up not resisting reading stuff to know what choices i should do. case in point: basically just read Witcher 3 ending. well, at least what the decisions do/affect... and i really hate that about myself. Worst of all, it wasn't even necessary. i mean, i wanted to know how a specific quest would affect stuff.
it's not like i'm feeling "oh, now i cant enjoy the game anymore", but i would've liked to experience it first hand.
So... do any of you guys have similar problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom