• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

the witcher 3 is not mass effect

there's no "good" outcome or way of "doing things right"

so, fighting that "urge" is kind of a thing you must do cause if you follow that "need to do the right/best thing!" thinkin you'll just end up spoiling the game and gaining nothing
I'm really happy games are moving past the "this is the best ending" trope. Different outcomes and endings are appreciated, but contrary to gaming tradition, I feel they have to be written in a way that there is no "best" ending.

This desire of gamers to avoid a "bad" ending and get the "best/true" ending is completely counterproductive to good writing and actual choice in games.

lupinko

I have a general steam question. I don't really have the means to buy anything off Japanese steam (since I live in Japan currently). But I do have the means to buy from Canadian Steam. Now I know using unblocking freebie VPNs don't get me anywhere on a PC but via the Steam app it does recognize all my old info from Canada.

But if I do verify that I am indeed from Canada (yes and factual resident per Government lingo, so yes), it wouldn't matter if the sale comes from a Japanese IP?

I don't want my steam account banned over something as dumb as anti consumer policies on region locking. Not saying this is about region lock or that steam is anti consumer which they aren't.

Right now I have to resort to getting friends or family buying me game codes or redeeming them for me. :/

Lol yes I want Kung Fury Street Rage.

Sarcasm

I have a general steam question. I don't really have the means to buy anything off Japanese steam (since I live in Japan currently). But I do have the means to buy from Canadian Steam. Now I know using unblocking freebie VPNs don't get me anywhere on a PC but via the Steam app it does recognize all my old info from Canada.

But if I do verify that I am indeed from Canada (yes and factual resident per Government lingo, so yes), it wouldn't matter if the sale comes from a Japanese IP?

I don't want my steam account banned over something as dumb as anti consumer policies on region locking. Not saying this is about region lock or that steam is anti consumer which they aren't.

Right now I have to resort to getting friends or family buying me game codes or redeeming them for me. :/

Been wondering this with the upcoming change thingy for proving country of origin. US citizenship in Taiwan currently.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I believe going forward (i.e. with the new system Steam is phasing in) purchases will be based on address of billing method, so where you are in the world when you're buying should be irrelevant. You will be buying using a Canadian credit card or Steam credit or whatever, and thus your purchases will be in the Canadian store. If you did get a Japanese credit card in the future, you'd be able to choose which you want to purchase through.

Salsa

can confirm W3 recap is still annoying on SSD

it either doesnt load fast enough or the recap still foces itself for the first 10 seconds or so, cause every other load is nonexistent

Iron Fisticle is kinda like gauntlet + smash tv.

I think it's pretty overlooked as only 3 people on my friendslist have it and 6 have it wishlisted. I would pick it up during the summer seal and hope it hits $5

plus it has some good emoticons and backgrounds http://www.steamcardexchange.net/index.php?gamepage-appid-306700

We blew through Guardian of Light in two sittings because we enjoyed it so much, and my SO typically doesn't play games much. It was the type of game where we finished it, then decided to go back through levels to hit some optional goals simply because we wanted to keep playing it. It's also got some great interactions between the two playable characters with some puzzles that actually make you think of creative ways to use their abilities together.

Now, we didn't play TOO much of Osiris yet, but we put about an hour into it and haven't gotten back to it yet. The big change that we didn't like as much is that Osiris got random loot, as opposed to GoL which had hand defined upgrades, loot, and goals.

If I had to recommend something, I'd say try GoL first, see how you like it. If you're really itching for more afterwards, then maybe see how ToS works for you guys.

But if you want something that's pretty much straight up balls to the wall action with RPG mechanics then renegade ops would definitely be recommended. It's from the Just Cause 2 team, has you shooting constantly, and explosions all over. Its also got side quests and upgrades.

Nice.
Whistlisted both Lara Croft games, can't wait to play it.. Renegade Ops looks sick, but Iron Fisticle looks too arcadey for me. Thanks for the input guys.
Now I have to finish the Witcher 3.

out of date info pls ignore

tmarg

I'm really happy games are moving past the "this is the best ending" trope. Different outcomes and endings are appreciated, but contrary to gaming tradition, I feel they have to be written in a way that there is no "best" ending.

This desire of gamers to avoid a "bad" ending and get the "best/true" ending is completely counterproductive to good writing and actual choice in games.

Some games do it well, Castlevania games come immediately to mind. I'd agree if we are talking specifically about RPGs, especially ones that are supposed to emphasize the player's ability to influence the world through their choices.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's especially annoying because the recaps seem to be tied to where you are when you load the save, not where you actually are currently in the story.

That's hilarious.

Nope (as in it doesn't matter). The point of the new store system is that people no longer need to use the ?cc=xx trick to visit their "home store" when travelling abroad, and in fact said trick no longer works if you're logged in. When viewing your account page, you're given two store options: one based on your current IP and another on your last-used billing info, so if you ever find that the former is overruling the latter (i.e. you're seeing the Japanese store rather than the Canadian store), you can switch back quite easily.

lupinko

Nope. The point of the new store system is that people no longer need to use the ?cc=xx trick to visit their "home store" when travelling abroad, and in fact said trick no longer works if you're logged in. When viewing your account page, you're given two store options: one based on your current IP and another on your last-used billing info, so if you ever find the former is overruling the latter (i.e. you're seeing the Japanese store rather than the Canadian store), you can switch back quite easily.

Oh thanks! I'll do this when I get home. This means I can go back to jumping into Steam Sales again.

Card Boy

Banned
I am a slow prick but i noticed Mortal Kombat Legacy Seasons 1 + 2 are on Steam in addition to the Payday Web Series. Kung Fury made me check what other tags had the 'Movie' tag and i'm surprised the Telltale games didn't show up.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't think I can hold out for a better rig before I tear into The Witcher 3.

said it before but it's the first time im playing a game on PC at 30fps and im loving it regardless

30 fps is ok. Console folks love locked 30, but even the "smooth" 30 is not so smooth, I'm sure that that I'll replay it once I've updated my GPU.

Y'all should remember that if you're playing on a PC monitor you aren't forced to stick to framerates that divide your max refresh rate.

Just create a custom resolution of something like 1920x1080@50hz, or @45hz, or etc etc. Monitors can refresh at different rates which means you can get something that feels smooth, looks nicer than what you could achieve at solid 60fps, and doesn't suffer from inconsistent stuttering.

When playing GTAV I was setting my refresh rate to 100hz (I have a 120hz monitor), locking the framerate at 50fps, and downsampling from 2560x1440 while cranking those settings up. Game looked great and smooth.

Salsa

Y'all should remember that if you're playing on a PC monitor you aren't forced to stick to framerates that divide your max refresh rate.

Just create a custom resolution of something like 1920x1080@50hz, or @45hz, or etc etc. Monitors can refresh at different rates which means you can get something that feels smooth, looks nicer than what you could achieve at solid 60fps, and doesn't suffer from inconsistent stuttering.

When playing GTAV I was setting my refresh rate to 100hz (I have a 120hz monitor), locking the framerate at 50fps, and downsampling from 2560x1440 while cranking those settings up. Game looked great and smooth.

sure

but the game at absolute max ultra settings can even drop to like 27-28fps on my 2gig 680

looks fantastic tho. kind of a plebe convert now. ill probably do it again for some other hype game if I need upgrading

What if I set my monitor to 1920x1080@30hz to cap my game at 30 fps?
Will it become smoother than 1920x1080@60hz 30 fps?

Teggy

hey

hey

its comic books

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

but Locke & Key is fantastic and that's the whole series

buy

I have Locke and Key 1-4 on Comixology but that reminds me I should get the others sometime soon. I think it would be cheaper to get the bundle but I hate splitting stuff up like that.

Did I miss the "ta" conversation? I learned that word at a Ned's Atomic Dustbin concert.

Made it to act 5 in Witcher. Act 4 had some crazy stuff. I can't decide if I think Dandelion is a doofus or awesome.

sure

but the game at absolute max ultra settings can even drop to like 27-28fps on my 2gig 680

looks fantastic tho. kind of a plebe convert now. ill probably do it again for some other hype game if I need upgrading
yeah, even dropping all my settings to high, frame rate can still sometimes drop to 3X fps.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
tumblr_np134xYirH1qfzcnbo1_400.gif

speaking of which ... I hope we'll get a sequel ... although - probably not, with SEGA being disappointed with the sales etc. ... shame, though

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
sure

yeah, even dropping all my settings to high, frame rate can still sometimes drop to 3X fps.

Yeah yeah, but, you don't have to use ABSOLUTE maximum settings. Play smarter, not choppier ;p

What if I set my monitor to 1920x1080@30hz to cap my game at 30 fps?
Will it become smoother than 1920x1080@60hz 30 fps?

Simply setting it to 1920x1080@30 won't necessarily cap the framerate, unless you have V-sync turned on. If I'm locking 30 I'll typicall keep it at 60 (or 120 in my case) and turn on Vsync at 1/2 adpative refresh rate. In some cases I'll use Rivatuner to put an actual framerate cap on if the game needs it.

Dr Dogg

Textures these days (and for flipping ages in fact) are not created for screen resolution but optimised (yes actual optimisation) for storage space and streaming efficiency. It's not uncommon to see 4096x4096 character textures even on games from 10 years ago. They don't start at shit quality and then that's it but start off as this big unweildly piece of art and then scaled back various times, hence why we have various texture quality settings, mip levels and LoD transitions.

From the book of Morningbus:

Don't try to act like you people aren't responsible for the monster that sits behind the keyboard.

Me, nearly 3 years ago:

Ah I remember those days. It was a simpler time then, the sun was always shining, the air was ever so fresh and you could walk into the Steam thread and relax and not worry about a thing. Then anime games came to Steam and things have been on the sharp decline ever since.

anyone know how to disable the recap videos in Witcher 3? those get annoying after a while.

There's a mod for that.
Yeah, finally.

Simply setting it to 1920x1080@30 won't necessarily cap the framerate, unless you have V-sync turned on. If I'm locking 30 I'll typicall keep it at 60 (or 120 in my case) and turn on Vsync at 1/2 adpative refresh rate. In some cases I'll use Rivatuner to put an actual framerate cap on if the game needs it.

Hmm, I see.

Dr Dogg

why have i never seen this game before?

Probably because it wasn't very good (tried the demo on XBLA) and based on a movie that tanked.

Saying that it's a Sabre Interactive game so they've probably made the game under a different name before just like R.I.P.D a game to tie in a terrible film was based on an earlier game of their God Mode.

Time Shift was cool though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I was going to get mad at CDPR for removing the free DLC from TW3's subs yet again, but it seems the Free on Demand subs were changed to No Cost, so they still count as owned once "purchased".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom