• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
sort of a rant, i guess:
i think i really have a problem with spoilers... i mean, on games with multiple endings. I always try to get the best ending, and end up not resisting reading stuff to know what choices i should do. case in point: basically just read Witcher 3 ending. well, at least what the decisions do/affect... and i really hate that about myself. Worst of all, it wasn't even necessary. i mean, i wanted to know how a specific quest would affect stuff.
it's not like i'm feeling "oh, now i cant enjoy the game anymore", but i would've liked to experience it first hand.
So... do any of you guys have similar problems?

Definitely. Happens to me too.

The problem is always the worry of "If I don't do this 'right' I'll probably have to replay large swathes of this game to see it the proper way."

I've pretty much found that the surprise of not looking it up almost always beats out the benefit of doing it 'right' and being spoiled.

Alternatively, just make frequent backup saves.

Lain

Thanks!

And holy shit they have Deus Machine Demonbane! It's like 34 Dollar on Fakku! Hope we get My Girlfriend is the President and Yume Miru Kusuri at some point in a bundle.

This game was the only reason I bought that VODO NSFW bundle. Kinda sucks that I can't add the serial to the download list on Jast site though. Given their old download site is going away on June 1st, I'll have to contact them or something.

iosefe

SteamGAF, random request.

Please recommend me some local co-op RPG/action/shooter games.

what kind of action we talking?

for RPG's D:OS 2.0 will have local co-op i think.

would you consider Gauntlet? it's also getting a major update soon that will change a lot

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
SteamGAF, random request.

Please recommend me some local co-op RPG/action/shooter games.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light was an absolute blast. Me and my SO played through it together at the end of last falls semester and it was a great way to enjoy the last couple days living together before going back to parents homes.

How experienced is the other person you're playing with, and would you like the game to be ALL RPG, action, and shooter - or just some of the above?

Something in a similar vein I'd recommend would be Renegade Ops.

what kind of action we talking?

for RPG's D:OS 2.0 will have local co-op i think.

would you consider Gauntlet? it's also getting a major update soon that will change a lot

D:OS would be too complicated I think.
I'm leaning toward games like that Lara Croft game. Gauntlet seems a nice choice as well.

Edit:
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light was an absolute blast. Me and my SO played through it together at the end of last falls semester and it was a great way to enjoy the last couple days living together before going back to parents homes.

How experienced is the other person you're playing with, and would you like the game to be ALL RPG, action, and shooter - or just some of the above?

Something in a similar vein I'd recommend would be Renegade Ops.

Wow, sounds great.
Temple of Osiris is similar to Guardian of Light, right? Perhaps I'll get GoL first then, and may proceed with Osiris later.
It's my wife. She doesn't like text that much and prefer going into action asap. 3rd person shooter would be fine.

Definitely. Happens to me too.

The problem is always the worry of "If I don't do this 'right' I'll probably have to replay large swathes of this game to see it the proper way."

I've pretty much found that the surprise of not looking it up almost always beats out the benefit of doing it 'right' and being spoiled.

Alternatively, just make frequent backup saves.
oh, in the few cases that i resist the urge, it's definitely better. can't disagree with that.
It's just that in this specific case, it feels like i would've gotten the ending i liked more without reading, seeing the way i play geralt.
To be fair though, because i wanted to finish witcher 2 as fast as possible and have a good save, i extensively used the game's wikia, and didn't feel that bad. maybe i'm just feeling this way now because im tired, or i'm loving W3 so much that i thought it deserved more "respect" from me. not really sure.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just came to the sad realization that in the last two months I've only finished two games (and one was pretty short and took like 3 hours total).

I need to start playing more games again. I'm starting to think I won't make this year's 52 game challenge.

Witcher 3 side quests are so packed! Even the contracts are unique, I simply just can't write them off as filler junk and not do them, but my time!

Annubis

For some reason, those screenshots remind me of The Last Remnant.

I'm seriously undecided with the groupee VN1.
I mean, I enjoy hentai... but those games don't look so great =/

Go! Go! Nippon! - Already got
Nicole - Unless it gives a discount on the yuri version, I don't see why I'd want that
Deus Machina Demonbane - the linked Youtube video doesn't sell this game very well
Edelweiss - sounds stupid
Obscene Medical Records of a Married Nurse - sounds like nukige garbage

Maybe 4$ for Aselia which does look good.

Salsa

the witcher 3 is not mass effect

there's no "good" outcome or way of "doing things right"

so, fighting that "urge" is kind of a thing you must do cause if you follow that "need to do the right/best thing!" thinkin you'll just end up spoiling the game and gaining nothing

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
D:OS would be too complicated I think.
I'm leaning toward games like that Lara Croft game. Gauntlet seems a nice choice as well.

Edit:

Wow, sounds great.
Temple of Osiris is similar to Guardian of Light, right? Perhaps I'll get GoL first then, and may proceed with Osiris later.
It's my wife. She doesn't like text that much and prefer going into action asap. 3rd person shooter would be fine.

We blew through Guardian of Light in two sittings because we enjoyed it so much, and my SO typically doesn't play games much. It was the type of game where we finished it, then decided to go back through levels to hit some optional goals simply because we wanted to keep playing it. It's also got some great interactions between the two playable characters with some puzzles that actually make you think of creative ways to use their abilities together.

Now, we didn't play TOO much of Osiris yet, but we put about an hour into it and haven't gotten back to it yet. The big change that we didn't like as much is that Osiris got random loot, as opposed to GoL which had hand defined upgrades, loot, and goals.

If I had to recommend something, I'd say try GoL first, see how you like it. If you're really itching for more afterwards, then maybe see how ToS works for you guys.

But if you want something that's pretty much straight up balls to the wall action with RPG mechanics then renegade ops would definitely be recommended. It's from the Just Cause 2 team, has you shooting constantly, and explosions all over. Its also got side quests and upgrades.

Khronico

the witcher 3 is not mass effect

there's no "good" outcome or way of "doing things right"

so, fighting that "urge" is kind of a thing you must do cause if you follow that "need to do the right/best thing!" thinkin you'll just end up spoiling the game and gaining nothing

This.

Gotta give up trying to find the optimal best path, it won't work in Witcher.

Anteater

speaking of LiS, I saw a spoiler pic for LiS on steam community a few days ago, it's not exactly a huge spoiler but it still looks like something from the later eps, I'm surprised it's there, was there a leak or something? I'm scared to look at LiS stuff on the net now.

Turfster

speaking of LiS, I saw a spoiler pic for LiS on steam community a few days ago, it's not exactly a huge spoiler but it still looks like something from the later eps, I'm surprised it's there, was there a leak or something? I'm scared to look at LiS stuff on the net now.

This is why you play LiS episodes the second they come out.

Is this early on in the episode or what? Don't remember this at all.

There is no
actual cake, but if you paid attention, the words you should fill in there are obvious =p

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

incomplete build of all the episodes has been out for a while so be wary.

Need to find a sugar momma/daddy so I can get two 980Tis. Witcher 3 would look so good at 4k ;-;

I tried playing at 4K for a second with my 780ti and it caused the menus to run at 1 fps as well, took 20 seconds to get back into the settings.

I'm kind of bummed I finished the game, all good things have to end I suppose. Still have like eight contracts left to do so I suppose I'll leave those until I upgrade my computer. Don't think I'll play through the game again for a while, I tend to make the same decisions in games with a story I actually care about so I need to space it out.

Khronico

Need to find a sugar momma/daddy so I can get two 980Tis. Witcher 3 would look so good at 4k ;-;

I tried playing at 4K for a second with my 780ti and it caused the menus to run at 1 fps as well, took 20 seconds to get back into the settings.

I'm kind of bummed I finished the game, all good things have to end I suppose. Still have like eight contracts left to do so I suppose I'll leave those until I upgrade my computer. Don't think I'll play through the game again for a while, I tend to make the same decisions in games with a story I actually care about so I need to space it out.

What ending did you get?

Lain

Steam has a lot of opinions about the game.

In Verbis Virtus is a fantasy adventure game where you cast spells in Maha’ki, the language of the gods, using your own voice. I gotta say: the very first time I cast a light spell just by saying a few words and the game responding immediately after I said it....I had the biggest nerdgasm ever. I felt the need to put on my robe and wizards hat. Yeah, it excited me. I won’t apologize.

Throughout the game you discover and learn multiple spells, each with its own purpose and power. You solve challenging puzzles, escape traps and battle monsters with magic.

You could lose yourself for hours in captivity by it's stunning graphics. It's one of the most unique and immersive games I've had the chance of buying. In otherwords, I give this game a 10/10. I would become a wizard over and over again.

A beautiful and atmospheric game with great immersion, style and lore. Use your mic to cast spells, solve puzzles and protect yourself from the dangers of the temple with some pretty awesome spells. Having to remember as many spells as you can is a nice touch, rather than it just giving you a button to press to cast "spell A", for example, you have to remember the words. In a pinch, that's not always easy to do and fumbling the pronunciation can happen when you are in a rush, but the feeling of pulling these things off is fantastic. Definitely well worth the cost if you want something fresh and interesting and don't mind having to think a little.

Highly recommended since Beta.

Before I begin, let me just clarify why I would not recommend this game. It's a good game, really good in fact. Graphics are nice, though there is a bit of stuttering here and there. The story is deep and interesting, and who doesn't want to be able to cast spells with their voice? However, there is one MAJOR drawback to all of that, and that is this: It's a puzzle game. I know it may seem like a stupid reason to not recommend a game, but let's be perfectly honest. Even a puzzle game like this is boring, even with the ability to cast spells with your own voice. And to be brutally honest, that's this game's only selling point; "cast spells with your voice!". It's a great concept, but I just cannot recommend a game that takes a good concept and puts it in a game it doesn't belong in. This game would've been much better off as an RPG with Co-Op and/or PvP, where you fight other people and hear them cast spells and have that one split second to think of the proper counter-spell. Instead, we get a game where you roam through a boring (though well-designed) crumbling temple that makes you feel like Indiana Jones while you beat your head against a wall trying to figure out what the heck you're supposed to do next.

Bottom Line: Beautiful game, well designed, good concept but in the wrong type of game. If your only reason for buying this game is "Oooh, I get to cast spells with my voice? Heck yes!", don't buy it. It'll just disappoint you. But if you love puzzle games, then this just might be your cup of proverbial tea.

Knurek

Those Media Create reports are getting more and more sad by the week. Welcome to our mobile future. :\
(At least Witcher 3 is bestseller there, whoever is still buying standard games there has good taste)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom