• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
well, you cant blame me for taking your posts as a rant that there are no modern short games worth playing for you, seeing how you presented that opinion.
And as for not paying attention, what?
OK, no arguments, you just wanted to be heard, got it.
It's called a conversation. Let me recap my understanding of what it seems took place from my view:

-Someone brought up youtube video making a case for very short games.
-I responded with my disappointment in the very short games I have experienced lately to express my disagreement with a presumption in the case the video was making.
-Someone offered a list of recent short games that I had perhaps not experienced, as a means of helping me find what they consider to be the quality selections.
-I explained my thoughts on those games to help them understand what it is about these sorts of games that I don't enjoy.
-You took it as apparently a rant of a blanket hatred for anything short or speaking against the state of the industry or something.
-I explained that I think games used to be short and good all the time, which I felt clearly communicated that shortness in itself is not something that limits design from being enjoyable to me. Apparently this point should not have been left implicit. Also I guess my comment on post-PS2 games having the heavy influence of objective-based gameplay may have confused you into thinking I had generational issues? Although I only meant it as a reference to why I think newer short games have ended up often having such a different design focus.
-You then apparently thought I was saying games used to be good and now they are not.
-I explained how actually my issue with these newer short games comes from a particular design philosophy that is either too close to other mediums for me to see a point in bothering with them, or something that doesn't stack up to traditional adventure games.

So yes, it seems to me like you weren't paying attention to the context of conversation and that is why you misunderstood my meaning.

madjoki

The discounted version can't be gifted anymore (they disabled it yesterday, I think)

mgcLoKW.png

It's giftable.

Vuze

mgcLoKW.png

It's giftable.
Oh, I wasn't aware this is possible :eek:
They basically told me "bad luck" when I asked them about the loyalty discoutn for German owners on twitter, so if somebody from US/non-DE-EU-SteamGAF could gift me the discounted games in exchange for PayPal bucks, I'd greatly appreciate that. Please PM me if you feel like helping out :D

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder how Naughty Gawds do it then :V
They balance shooting sequences with exploration or narrative scenes. That's why I got tired of Uncharted 1, it had almost nothing of the latter and it became boring quickly. That's also why I didn't enjoy the
Pittsburgh
chapter in The Last of Us as much as the rest of the game, it was a series of enemy encounters one after the other, with little to no downtime (the game is still a masterpiece, and it made sense to have so many enemies there).

I really don't like this argument, as it's like beating a dead horse. You like cinematic games? watch a movie! You like VNs? Read a book! You like walking sims? go, take a walk.
It doesn't work like this. No media is pointless if there is demand for it, and all those games are being made because someone likes them. It's that simple, there is no such thing as a game for everybody, we are different and we like different things, that's why we have all those arguments and such a variety in games.
And I don't agree that any other media compares to games, no matter the genre.
I watch every movie with the volume off. If I wanted to hear music I'd be listening to my Division Bell CD, since I care a lot about movies being movies. Likewise, I keep my eyes closed whenever I go to a concert (seeing Paul McCartney next week, hell yeah!).

Tizoc

They balance shooting sequences with exploration or narrative scenes.
Doesn't feel that way in UC4; I keep saying this game would've been better without gunfights or combat, as the adventure aspect and character interactions are wonderful, but the combat...I can do without.
Hell if the game had bow and arrow like in Toom Braider it would've been muuuuch better.

That's why I got tired of Uncharted 1, it had almost nothing of the latter and it became boring quickly. That's also why I didn't enjoy the
Pittsburgh
chapter in The Last of Us as much as the rest of the game, it was a series of enemy encounters one after the other, with little to no downtime (the game is still a masterpiece, and it made sense to have so many enemies there).
Funny thing about UC1 from one time I played it is that I liked the non combat sections more than gunfights, or vice versa XP.

Tizoc

Wasn't SF5 in development for like 2 years? It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of people working on said title. This the company that made the SF4 series, SFxT and MvC3.
They know how to make bloody modes for a fighting game.
In the case of SF5, all the money Sonty gave them went into other projects, only explanation I can ake in for SF5 releasing without a standard Arcade mode, which even freakin' KoF 12 had.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Ori and the Blind Forest Definitive edition is $6.4 in Russian Windows Store.
You forgot to add the psychological cost of buying from the Windows Store.

Doesn't feel that way in UC4; I keep saying this game would've been better without gunfights or combat, as the adventure aspect and character interactions are wonderful, but the combat...I can do without.
Hell if the game had bow and arrow like in Toom Braider it would've been muuuuch better.

Funny thing about UC1 from one time I played it is that I liked the non combat sections more than gunfights, or vice versa XP.
I haven't played U4 yet (don't have a PS4), so I can't comment on it. I think the balance was done well in U2 and 3, and during most of TLoU, but it was terrible in U1. I agree with you, I liked the (very few) non-shooting parts of that game a lot more than the combat ones.

My issue with Witcher 3 and steam overlay is starting to get frustrating. It's so hit and miss. It worked fine last month and now it's not no matter what I did. I've already closed every possible tray programs to no avail, only gpu driver and antivirus left that are turned on.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
deja vu time

GalakZ is fun but I could never play it in rogue mode. Yes I posted the exact same a few hours ago, but I just finished the first "season" and I would rage HARD if the game only checkpointed after each season (aka after every 5 levels instead of every level)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My issue with Witcher 3 and steam overlay is starting to get frustrating. It's so hit and miss. It worked fine last month and now it's not no matter what I did. I've already closed every possible tray programs to no avail, only gpu driver and antivirus left that are turned on.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

It took CDPR nine months to correct a similar problem with The Witcher 2. Even Valve itself informing CDPR of the issue did nothing to expedite a fix.

Khronico

In general. Never played them :)

They are two of the best first person shooters in recent history. Solid shooting mechanics with varied and interesting combat encounters that allow for either stealth or full blown shootouts, oppressive and genuinely unnerving atmosphere, gorgeous graphics while also being very well optimized (Redux ver especially), and relatively interesting stories (2033 moreso than Last Light).

Both are well worth your time and money.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
on mobile, Final Fntasy X shows as 19.99€ slashed from 24,99€, aka 20% discount. Which means a voucher will probably not work on it, but if it does, it would drop it down to 15.99€ which would be mighty appealing

edit: err talking about GMG btw

Sch1sm

In general. Never played them :)

2033's OG mechanics were not great, though, imo. They made it more similar to Last Light in the redux, iirc, weapons systems and all. I preferred the original graphically, in the same way I preferred Gears of War in comparison to their recent re-release of it last summer. A texture thing, mainly, but that's more of a personal preference deal to do with atmosphere. Only thing is, the originals are clunky. Stealth was weird because no stealth takedowns? That was a change in Redux. Go for it. I enjoyed the games in both forms.

Grief.exe

deja vu time

GalakZ is fun but I could never play it in rogue mode. Yes I posted the exact same a few hours ago, but I just finished the first "season" and I would rage HARD if the game only checkpointed after each season (aka after every 5 levels instead of every level)

Sounds like that is a mode for experienced players only.

LFG

Neophyte
They are two of the best first person shooters in recent history. Solid shooting mechanics with varied and interesting combat encounters that allow for either stealth or full blown shootouts, oppressive and genuinely unnerving atmosphere, gorgeous graphics while also being very well optimized (Redux ver especially), and relatively interesting stories (2033 moreso than Last Light).

Both are well worth your time and money.
2033's OG mechanics were not great, though, imo. They made it more similar to Last Light in the redux, iirc, weapons systems and all. I preferred the original graphically, in the same way I preferred Gears of War in comparison to their recent re-release of it last summer. A texture thing, mainly, but that's more of a personal preference deal to do with atmosphere. Only thing is, the originals are clunky. Stealth was weird because no stealth takedowns? That was a change in Redux. Go for it. I enjoyed the games in both forms.

Awesome, thanks for the input :) Adding to cart now!

Saty

Dice

its how its "supposed to be played" says the game ;_;
I remember the Fire Emblem devs being so adamant for permadeath, but then after developing a mode without it for casual players in Awakening they confessed to never personally playing with permadeath anymore.

Turns out when you give up the fetish for deaths being a total bitch, you realize just gameplay can be fun on its own and there is no point in the hassle of more significant deaths if it's nothing more than an annoying temporal setback. Not everyone has something to prove with the things they play for fun.

Amzin

It's called a conversation. Let me recap my understanding of what it seems took place from my view:

-Someone brought up youtube video making a case for very short games.
-I responded with my disappointment in the very short games I have experienced lately to express my disagreement with a presumption in the case the video was making.
-Someone offered a list of recent short games that I had perhaps not experienced, as a means of helping me find what they consider to be the quality selections.
-I explained my thoughts on those games to help them understand what it is about these sorts of games that I don't enjoy.
-You took it as apparently a rant of a blanket hatred for anything short or speaking against the state of the industry or something.
-I explained that I think games used to be short and good all the time, which I felt clearly communicated that shortness in itself is not something that limits design from being enjoyable to me. Apparently this point should not have been left implicit. Also I guess my comment on post-PS2 games having the heavy influence of objective-based gameplay may have confused you into thinking I had generational issues? Although I only meant it as a reference to why I think newer short games have ended up often having such a different design focus.
-You then apparently thought I was saying games used to be good and now they are not.
-I explained how actually my issue with these newer short games comes from a particular design philosophy that is either too close to other mediums for me to see a point in bothering with them, or something that doesn't stack up to traditional adventure games.

So yes, it seems to me like you weren't paying attention to the context of conversation and that is why you misunderstood my meaning.

The problem is it stretches multiple pages and DOES look like you just are hating on a number of popular and well liked games. The other problem is there's no real debate going on - it's just conflicting opinions conflicting in public. I enjoyed a number of the games on the list that you clearly didn't. I'm glad I got enjoyment out of them for my money and of course wish you had too, but you didn't. That's really the end of the conversation.

Context is super hard to maintain in this thread to begin with, much less with touchy issues like "what are games" and "what are GOOD games", the attitude of go read a short story or watch a movie or X if you like Y is a terrible one as well. Those things may come off as equivalent to you but they certainly do not to me, and not to many others I suspect.

Saty

The Russian Embassy in London has tweeted a screenshot from PC real-time strategy game Command & Conquer: Generals.

The Russian Embassy account has added "image used for illustration purposes only" to the screenshot, which is the first result when you type the keywords 'bomb truck' into Google Images.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-screenshot-from-command-and-conquer-generals

http://images.eurogamer.net/2015/ar....png/EG11/resize/600x-1/quality/80/format/jpg

Dice

The other problem is there's no real debate going on - it's just conflicting opinions conflicting in public. I enjoyed a number of the games on the list that you clearly didn't. I'm glad I got enjoyment out of them for my money and of course wish you had too, but you didn't. That's really the end of the conversation.
Yeah, just sharing the details of different perspectives to understand each other is pretty much what conversations are. I don't know why everything has to become a debate whenever you personally differ from others. It seems to be some kind of attitude that has developed in America over the last 20 years (I say this because my foreign friends have zero difficulty sharing and receiving personal differences without arguing). Maybe the internet mixed with our sociopolitical issues being hashed out made us forget what it is to relate to those different from us and makes us receive any contrary statement as an argument of principle rather than a personal expression of difference.

To be fair, mass media did use once videogame screenshots to claim they were invading Ukraine.

Learn I do not.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

KEEBLES -- MB-1D0D2F60DFEADEE2 - Taken by gurm3n. 3 entrants total.
AVENCAST: Rise of the Mage -- MB-EF59223FED8A1194 - Taken by Lashley. 4 entrants total.

t1463079491z1.png

Saty

FFX|X-2 HD Remaster Language Settings
http://steamcommunity.com/games/359870/announcements/detail/840297192194370370
Hi everyone,

We noticed there’s a little confusion as to which languages would be available in which regions.

Well we’re happy to confirm that all available languages will be playable in all territories!

A launcher at the start of the game will allow you to select one of the following language setups:
*Audio is restricted depending on the language setting*

• Text: Japanese / Korean / Traditional Chinese WITH Voice: Japanese
• Text: English / French / Italian / German / Spanish WITH Voice: English

Rhaknar

goodguy SE actually has it cheaper in euros too (24.99€ base, 19.99€ with the 20%)

you ok goodguy SE. Will buy on GMG if the voucher works on top

Too bad X and X-2 don't get separate listings.

Inevitably I'm going to review the games, and +/-1200 words isn't enough to cover two fairly lengthy RPGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom