• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monooboe

Minecraft is such a monster. Nº1 for PS3 on both US and EU PSN for April and in the top 10 for PS4 in both regions.
Vita version still in retail chart in Japan making it the longest tracking playstation game ever in the country.

Must be pretty mindblowing to create a game wondering if anyone will even give a fuck about it and watch it become one of the biggest things ever in the industry.

I still haven't played it.

Minecraft really is one of my favorite experiences in gaming. Would love for a better looking MC. Tried Everquest Landmark but it didn't even come close.

Thing is, I haven't found a recent 2-3 hour game that wasn't vapid shit. They used to know how to do them in the 16 bit days but now you get walking simulators with crappy stories or something that does one gimmick with no interesting variation of application. The quality jump between super short games and something around 8 hours is usually pretty big.
From 2-3 hour games, have you played:
Superhot
Not A Hero
Gunpoint
The Floor Is Jelly
Jazzpunk
Papers Please
Her Story
Toren
Journey
Monument Valley
?

In defense of walking simulators with good stories:
For obscure walking simulators, I'd recommend:
Novelist2.jpg

The Novelist where you play as a ghost spying on a family that is having a rough time, and it's more about the dilemma between work and life.
3.jpg

The Beginner's Guide is an hour-long emotional trek about the struggles in the creative process of making videogames.
lifeless-town.jpg

Lifeless Planet is a thirdperson astronaut game with light platforming that evokes Solaris and 2001.
3407404735_3f3f9d60a5.jpg

The Path is an unnerving, lonely, and sometimes sweet experience. It's all about getting lost and girls' experiences through life (playfulness, romance, abuse...). You play as many variations of Red Riding Hood, trying to get to your grandma's house but are encouraged to get off the beaten path. You can collect flowers, then come across certain characters or "wolves" for each playable character, basically different short-stories with lots of playthroughs.
4618909029.gif

Beyond Eyes is a thirdperson game where you play as a young blind girl in search of a cat, it's an emotional and sometimes scary journey.
orchids6.gif

Orchids To Dusk (free) is 5min long where you play as an astronaut on a new planet and that's all I will say on it.
off_peak_game_status_quo_by_digi_matrix-d9nczdq.gif

Off-Peak (free) 30min surrealist and funny walk through a train station with quirky characters. Reminded me of Richard Linklater films.
thatdragoncancer5.jpg

That Dragon, Cancer is a surreal and empathic journey with a family coping with their dying son.

Tizoc

Tell me the good 2-3 hour games.

Kero Blaster
Gunhound EX
Beat'em-ups like Double Dragon Neon, Capcom's Dungeons and Dragons
Freedom Planet
Shovel Knight
Aviary Attorney
Adv. of Pip
Legend of Dark Witch
Castle of Illusion HD
DuckTales Remastered

That's it off the top of my head for now
For something a little longer there's Wadjet Eye's PnC games (Technobabylon, Blackwell series, Primordia, etc.)

How long does it take for Steam to start accepting my new password? I changed the password and now won't let me login.

Thanks to their stupid IOS app I can't get any more recovery codes. Everytime I try to get the recovery code from my text message and go back to Steam Mobile it resets itself back to login page and I need to restart the process. WTF

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I thought Armello was a fantasy 4X type thing but apparently reading up on it its actually some sort of board game? welp >_>

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Superhot - Underapplied gimmick.
Not A Hero - Not very good.
The Floor Is Jelly - Very pretty but not compelling, underapplied.
Jazzpunk - Has style and not much else.
Papers Please - Interesting concept, rather hard IMO, and not really about "beating" so true length is hard to determine. If you take it as art then there is significantly more content there than seeing an ending. If you count the end of the game as when you get bored with it, that is rather arbitrary and also telling if you only last 2-3 hours.
Her Story - Not into it and getting dubious with definition of game. Aside from that, presentation style alone doesn't make the gameplay fundamentally different from countless adventure games that offer more diverse and fulfilling experiences.
Toren - Haven't played.
Journey - Maybe the most overrated game of all time.
Monument Valley - Crappy version of Echochrome.
The Path - Lame.

A low standard trying to justify itself with sentimentalism, as though abstract presentation is automatically deep or meaningful. Pretty standard for the scene. I'll keep my real adventure games with actual plots and points to go with the sentiments plus detective/puzzle gameplay, thank you.

Kero Blaster
Gunhound EX
Beat'em-ups like Double Dragon Neon, Capcom's Dungeons and Dragons
Freedom Planet
Shovel Knight
Aviary Attorney
Adv. of Pip
Legend of Dark Witch
Castle of Illusion HD
DuckTales Remastered

That's it off the top of my head for now
For something a little longer there's Wadjet Eye's PnC games (Technobabylon, Blackwell series, Primordia, etc.)
Now you're on the right track! Although a few of these definitely take longer to beat and others really aren't at all about just seeing the ending and offer so much more to discover and play with as a fundamental aspect of their design (something many don't understand since objective-based gameplay became the industry norm). Maybe it seems I'm pushing goalposts there, but I assure you I had this view of how to define game length from my original statements to the youtube video. Like, can you really say NiGHTS is about running through once and the rest is just extra? No way. Same for beat em ups and Freedom Planet. They run on an older design philosophy that the industry mostly gave up on.

Tizoc

Superhot - Underapplied gimmick.
Not A Hero - Not very good.
The Floor Is Jelly - Very pretty but not compelling, underapplied.
Jazzpunk - Has style and not much else.
Papers Please - Interesting concept, rather hard IMO, and not really about "beating" so true length is hard to determine. If you take it as art then there is significantly more content there than seeing an ending. If you count the end of the game as when you get bored with it, that is rather arbitrary and also telling if you only last 2-3 hours.
Her Story - Not into it and getting dubious with definition of game. Aside from that, presentation style alone doesn't make the gameplay fundamentally different from countless adventure games that offer more diverse and fulfilling experiences.
Toren - Haven't played.
Journey - Maybe the most overrated game of all time.
Monument Valley - Crappy version of Echochrome.
The Path - Lame.

A low standard trying to justify itself with sentimentalism, as though abstract presentation is automatically deep or meaningful. Pretty standard for the scene. I'll keep my real adventure games with actual plots and points to go with the sentiments plus detective/puzzle gameplay, thank you.

Now you're on the right track! Although a few of these definitely take longer to beat and others really aren't at all about just seeing the ending and offer so much more to discover and play with as a fundamental aspect of their design (something many don't understand since objective-based gameplay became the industry norm).

Wait you didn't play Contradiction? Come on fam, there is a reason it was among Steamgaf's top 10 2015 titles.

Arthea

Dice, had it ever occurred to you that shorts games aren't for you? because it seems to me you expect from those short games complexity and gameplay of large games, what's not really possible, due to them being you know, too short?

Dice

Dice, had it ever occurred to you that shorts games aren't for you? because it seems to me you expect from those short games complexity and gameplay of large games, what's not really possible, due to them being you know, too short?
It appears you must have started playing games with PS2. There was a time where games, just about all games as a standard for the industry, were made short for a single run but fundamentally designed to be played many more times to actually experience what they were about.

Wait you didn't play Contradiction? Come on fam, there is a reason it was among Steamgaf's top 10 2015 titles.
I did not. I've been going ham with Xbone as of late. I may be coming back to PC when I move next month if I get my desktop out of storage.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Superhot
Not A Hero
Gunpoint
The Floor Is Jelly
Jazzpunk
Papers Please
Her Story
Toren
Journey
Monument Valley
?

I like your "walking simulators" list, gonna check some of those later. Thanks!

Also, the Bit.Trip games are fantastic. Old-school, hard rhythm games that are incredibly fun, yet sometimes frustrating, to play. Beating them feels so rewarding (well, at least the ones I could beat, which amounts to half the series).

Another game I really liked is The Starship Damrey, on 3DS. It's a first-person adventure game, with movement taken from dungeon crawlers (90º turns, moving one step at a time), and exploration inspired by point-and-click adventures. It mixes science fiction with horror themes and it's very well done, though there's one particular puzzle that got me stuck for months, as it featured some nasty pixel hunting (I had the right idea at first, but couldn't find the proper spot so I thought it was wrong and started searching for other solutions, until I finally found the tiny place by accident).

Phawx

So for the past day I've been fighting with my system putting some SSDs into software RAID 10 so that TRIM can still work. I bought three new SSDs of the same manufacturer and was going to add an older SSD to the array. The old drive is still 85% good as reported by Crystal DiskInfo.

Anyhoo, I was testing a lot of different configurations and I apparently pushed my old SSD into a bad state. Reads are still great, but writes are horrendous.

So time for a little good idea/bad idea:

Good idea:

Have a program that checks specific sectors to see if TRIM is working.

Bad idea:

Don't have any explicit program to fix it. (Basically if TRIM is enabled, eventually your OS will TRIM the drive. But that's a maybe/eventual thing it'll get done.)

It looks like I found one program that is actually doing what I am looking for but I still have to benchmark the drive after it's done to see if it actually did it.

I guess I'm surprised that even on 7th generation SSD controllers, things aren't perfect yet.

If all goes well I'll let you guys know what tools I used.

Videogames are kind of like movies in that pacing is extremely important. You can't have campaigns last hours upon hours or the player will get tired of the gameplay loop, and that is something developers are struggling to balance. I will take a short game with good pacing and extra content over a long bloated game with bad pacing any day.

Arthea

It appears you must have started playing games with PS2. There was a time where games, just about all games as a standard for the industry, were made short for a single run but fundamentally designed to be played many more times.

appearances can be deceiving, that's not the case, I'm with gaming from the very start, well almost very start anyway.

but it appears to me you idealize the past quite a bit, we replayed those games over and over not because they were very well designed that way (in some cases they were, true) but because we hadn't another 1000s games waiting for us at the ready.

there are many pseudo retro games these days, you could look into those. Also you can always just play old games if new ones are not up to your standards.

Videogames are kind of like movies in that pacing is extremely important. You can't have campaigns last hours upon hours or the player will get tired of the gameplay loop, and that is something developers are struggling to balance. I will take a short game with good pacing and extra content over a long bloated game with bad pacing any day.

yeah, I agree with you, good pacing is essential, unfortunately it's hard to achieve everywhere, even more so in games.

Phawx

Speaking of Videogames as kind of like movies, The Assassin's Creed trailer started off pretty good but quickly went bad. The parkour stuff looked cool.

Also when did the animus become a full body robotic arm? I only know the animus to be like a slate/bed.

Speaking of Videogames as kind of like movies, The Assassin's Creed trailer started off pretty good but quickly went bad. The parkour stuff looked cool.

Also when did the animus become a full body robotic arm? I only know the animus to be like a slate/bed.

They changed it because of similarities to The Matrix, or so they say.

Arthea

I personally thought that trailer is good representation of what a movie will be, no good
They are free to prove me wrong

Dice

there are many pseudo retro games these days, you could look into those.
And most of them are garbage, although there are great things like Shovel Knight and Freedom Planet.

Also you can always just play old games if new ones are not up to your standards.
I do that, too. I also never said I was against all modern games or their design so I do play plenty of newer stuff. I just find that this indie abstract 2-3 hour stuff is tripe, and I only brought it up as a direct response to the video speaking about them specifically. I feel like if you care so little about your game being a game that you fall into playing a lot of these things, it would seem you just like short stories, and as far as short stories go there are thousands of nice short films and books out there that are cheaper (even free) and have a lot more to say. Interactivity is very rarely used in an essential manner (like in Brothers) so the lines between these mediums seems pointless. And actually, remembering Brothers now I may have to retract my former statement. It was short and did something interesting that you can really only do in games and well explored the application of its idea and it isn't designed for replay. So there is at least one, I guess.

mp1990

Banned
Thanks for the recommendations Messofanego and Tizoc, my wishlist grew quite a bit :D

Also, dismissing an entire genre due to preconceptions over it is rather silly in my view. Having a few bad experiences with Walking Simulators and being more picky with your choices is one thing (and I wouldn't blame you, I'm sure there are many titles out there trying to be deep for the sake of it), but applying that to all the games belonging to genre seems just too close minded. But different strokes for different people I guess.

Tizoc

Having recently ugpraded to Win 10, what is a game I can try out to see how DX12 does the performance?

Wonder how Naughty Gawds do it then :V

And most of them are garbage, although there are great things like Shovel Knight and Freedom Planet.

I do that, too. I also never said I was against all modern games or their design so I do play plenty of newer stuff. I just find that this indie abstract 2-3 hour stuff is tripe, and I only brought it up as a direct response to the video speaking about them specifically. I feel like if you care so little about your game being a game that you fall into playing a lot of these things, it would seem you just like short stories, and as far as short stories go there are thousands of nice short films and books out there that are cheaper (even free) and have a lot more to say. Interactivity is very rarely used in an essential manner (like in Brothers) so the lines between these mediums seems pointless. And actually, remembering Brothers now I may have to retract my former statement. It was short and did something interesting that you can really only do in games and well explored the application of its idea and it isn't designed for replay. So there is at least one, I guess.

Nah. interactivity can be really fun even if it doesn't introduce anything new. It doesn't have to.

Arthea

I really don't like this argument, as it's like beating a dead horse. You like cinematic games? watch a movie! You like VNs? Read a book! You like walking sims? go, take a walk.
It doesn't work like this. No media is pointless if there is demand for it, and all those games are being made because someone likes them. It's that simple, there is no such thing as a game for everybody, we are different and we like different things, that's why we have all those arguments and such a variety in games.
And I don't agree that any other media compares to games, no matter the genre.

I can understand that you are bitter because there are less games made that appeal to you, it certainly is no fun and no amount of words can make it better. But it could be that there are still games you'd like that you don't know about. These days there are so many games that it's really hard to pick something particular.
how about checking this one?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/252010/
if you haven't yet

mp1990

Banned
By "extra content" do you mean DLC and/or expansions?

Superhot
Not A Hero
Gunpoint
The Floor Is Jelly
Jazzpunk
Papers Please
Her Story
Toren
Journey
Monument Valley
?

For obscure walking simulators, I'd recommend:
Novelist2.jpg

The Novelist where you play as a ghost spying on a family that is having a rough time, and it's more about the dilemma between work and life.
3.jpg

The Beginner's Guide is an hour-long emotional trek about the struggles in the creative process of making videogames.
lifeless-town.jpg

Lifeless Planet is a thirdperson astronaut game with light platforming that evokes Solaris and 2001.
3407404735_3f3f9d60a5.jpg

The Path is an unnerving, lonely, and sometimes sweet experience. It's all about getting lost and girls' experiences through life (playfulness, romance, abuse...). You play as many variations of Red Riding Hood, trying to get to your grandma's house but are encouraged to get off the beaten path. You can collect flowers, then come across certain characters or "wolves" for each playable character, basically different short-stories with lots of playthroughs.
4618909029.gif

Beyond Eyes is a thirdperson game where you play as a young blind girl in search of a cat, it's an emotional and sometimes scary journey.
orchids6.gif

Orchids To Dusk (free) is 5min long where you play as an astronaut on a new planet and that's all I will say on it.
off_peak_game_status_quo_by_digi_matrix-d9nczdq.gif

Off-Peak (free) 30min surrealist and funny walk through a train station with quirky characters. Reminded me of Richard Linklater films.
thatdragoncancer5.jpg

That Dragon, Cancer is a surreal and empathic journey with a family coping with their dying son.

I never finished Ether One but heard good things about it, talks about dementia while set in a sleepy seaside town and has sci-fi elements like Eternal Sunshine.

Speaking of walking simulators, I need to get started on POLLEN.
Didn't know of a couple ones there. Cool.
I can recommend Lifeless Planet. Had a good time with it.

I'm having fun with UnEpic. Played it a bit last night. The humor is great.
It's not very clear where to go, what to do and how some mechanics work (spell crafting) which is a bit bad but I'll continue playing. It's fun.

abracadaver

Hey guys. I live in germany but I'm on vacation in the US right now.

The Dead Island Definitive Collection is not available in germany, can I buy it while I'm in the US or would that be against the Steam rules?

There is a really good loyality discount that I want to use. It's not giftable with the discount price.

Driw3r

Unconfirmed Member
Frazetta: The Game (aka Age of Barbarian Extended Cut) delayed to 2nd of June.
Looks very cheap but nostalgic (Barbarian on Zx-Spectrum)
That looks kinda neat, in a cheesy way. Following, i hope it is not utter shite.

What comes to short games, i have finished now 3 games in a week (more than this year combined): Year Walk (2h), 12 Is Better Than 6 (less than 6h) and Her Story (3h). I've really enjoyed them all. Next Papers Please and Stanley Parable.

Capcom to give titles more dev time, says Street Fighter V 'needed more polish'
Street Fighter V’s launch wobbles have led to a change in development strategy at Capcom.

Chairman and CEO Kenzo Tsujimoto has told investors that part of the reason why the company has forecast a dip in operating income is that “it’s best to spend a little more time in developing and running a high-quality title that will perform well globally”.

Specifically, this is due to what “what we learned from the past year of operations” and the launch of Street Fighter V.

“Some aspects of Street Fighter V needed more polish, such as the lack of content and server issues at launch,” Tsujimoto added. “Accordingly, we feel it’s better to give a little more time to development than before, and have made slight adjustments to our portfolio.

“Profits may take one or two years longer to stack up than initially expected, however we will be firmly strengthening our brands. That being said, even looking at Capcom’s growth exclusively, we expect at the very least growth in excess of ten per cent to continue.”

The game was plagued by severe connection problems at the time of launch, although it was the backlash about the lack of launch content in the game that caused more problems. Series boss Yoshinori Ono admitted that the company underestimated the importance of a strong single player mode – hence the decision to launch without one.

Street Fighter V has since February sold 1.4m copies worldwide. Capcom had estimated 2m unit sales by this point.

Dice

I can understand that you are bitter because there are less games made that appeal to you, it certainly is no fun and no amount of words can make it better.
Where are you getting this notion? There are TONS of good games these days, far more than ever before. I am completely overrun with them and hardly know what to do because the industry is so massive and diverse now. There are interesting new ideas everywhere as well as many traditional concepts getting crazy awesome support.

I guess I need to reiterate yet again: My post was in direct response to the youtube video. He was defending super short games, so I gave my opinion that I think those games are crap. I didn't say no one should ever play them and they should stop existing in the industry, I simply described that I disagree with the man in the video on many of them being worthwhile experiences. The video was trying to say they aren't bad simply because of their shortness, yet his argument presumed that they are quality in many other aspects to make them worthwhile despite the short length. I was saying that with the super short games I have experienced these days, I disagree with his implied position.

Pay attention to context. I didn't just come out of nowhere with some rant against the state of the industry complaining about too many of these games or anything. As such, my response to Messofanego was only explaining why I would personally just go to traditional adventure games if I wanted a game, or short stories if what I wanted was a short story. I was by no means saying that everyone should do that like it's some kind of universal principle one ought to follow. Yes I phrased it like "if you care so little" but that doesn't mean I'm talking about literally you and what you should do. I'd never boss others around about what they should and should not like.

At most it is only a way of expressing how I don't understand how others come to their tastes/decision when I see what I consider to be many better alternatives on generally the same thing. Like an "if I were you" sort of way of explaining the difference between the way I think about things and how it results in me thinking differently about the particular games brought up than Messofanego's positive recommendation. I'm not trying to have an argument, I'm just illustrating this difference.

Arthea

well, you cant blame me for taking your posts as a rant that there are no modern short games worth playing for you, seeing how you presented that opinion.
And as for not paying attention, what?
OK, no arguments, you just wanted to be heard, got it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hey guys. I live in germany but I'm on vacation in the US right now.

The Dead Island Definitive Collection is not available in germany, can I buy it while I'm in the US or would that be against the Steam rules?

There is a really good loyality discount that I want to use. It's not giftable with the discount price.

You're expected to use your home country while travelling abroad. Just have someone in the US or another region without trade restrictions to gift it to you in exchange for PayPal Bucks.

You're expected to use your home country while travelling abroad. Just have someone in the US or another region without trade restrictions to gift it to you in exchange for PayPal Bucks.

The discounted version can't be gifted anymore (they disabled it yesterday, I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom