• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Decided to get the AFK program to get steam cards for games. I should stop passing up free money. Also selling all my DOTA2 items from past Internationals. I'm pretty sure I've earned around 60 to 70$ so far on Steam.

I just want Valve to remove the BPM button by the minimize/maximize spot on the client. I keep accidentally clicking on it and getting trapped.

Like, they don't have the VR button on my client. Couldn't they do the same for BPM, only showing it when a controller is plugged in?
got back from work two and a half hours late

will decide Rocket League winner in 45 mins, after dragon ball super airs
but Dragon Ball Super episodes are 21 minutes long

PL4v3.gif

Annubis

I just want Valve to remove the BPM button by the minimize/maximize spot on the client. I keep accidentally clicking on it and getting trapped.

Like, they don't have the VR button on my client. Couldn't they do the same for BPM, only showing it when a controller is plugged in?

PL4v3.gif

Gotta watch it twice.

Lomax

And the thing is...it's actually not that bad a game, either. It's kinda tough, but what I played of it seemed fine to me.

Yeah I was actually pretty excited to get it the first time I did. And of course I never got around to playing it and now every time I see it bundled somehow that makes me want to play it less.

its definitely up there with Data Hacker, Lucius, Memories of a Vagabond, Volt or Elements: Souls of fire, but i cant shake off the feeling that the title would belong to Vanguard Princess

Yeah Vanguard Princess, it's right up there. I guess I pay a little more attention to Betrayer because it doesn't seem like a completely junk game like most of those you listed.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I think the thing is that you'd also want it to be forward-looking i.e. if Waifusoft releases "I Haven't Left My Bedroom In 5 Weeks Because I Love 4chan Too Much", and I say "No, I am confident I never want to see anything from this company from now until the end of time", and then they release 6 more games next week, I want it to be able to skip those as well. I think that's tougher to do by hacking it on your end. You could keep a cache of vote no scenarios and if the store page ever loaded sans-vote, it could vote no and say next, or whatever, but it's hard to tell what a user intends in that case so it's not ideal.

That's true enough. I suppose I could add an "Publishers / Developers I'm Not Interested In" section and in addition to mass-marking all their games as not interested it could repeat the process on a weekly timer that would be kicked off by visiting a page that Enhanced Steam runs on. It could also add it automatically to your "Not Interested" list if that publisher or developer is on your ignore list and the game isn't already on your Steam list.

The only by-product of that would be games that wouldn't automatically be marked in search results or the homepage until that automatic process kicks off - meaning theoretically you could be looking at something made by "I Haven't Left My Bedroom In 5 Weeks Because I Love 4chan Too Much" that isn't marked without realizing it.

kagamin

Vanguard Princess is a half-decent fighter, too bad its missing tons of important features most fighting games require to stay alive these days like training mode and online.

data

I honestly can't even imagine who'd send death threats to a developer for delaying their game... but if I was a dev I'd feel flattered. Means people really want to play my game. Hm.

Ghazi

Odds are that it was rehosted somewhere, but the Google Docs link not offering any insight into the actual name of the file makes searching for it practically impossible. Try adding the user who uploaded it -- he may still have it.

I looked into it, the user who uploaded hasn't been online in thirty days. I messaged someone who thanked him, but they haven't got back to me.

Phawx

I honestly can't even imagine who'd send death threats to a developer for delaying their game... but if I was a dev I'd feel flattered. Means people really want to play my game. Hm.

Yea, whenever someone leaves an unkind comment on anything I produce I try to separate the wheat from the chaff.

80% of the time, they at least indicate what enrages them so. The other 20% are just non-constructive hate.

I.E. "This fucking shit is stupid. You should have put a map up for X dumb ass"

The funny thing is, 100% of the time when I reply only addressing their comment with, "Sorry about the map thing, I saw it too late. Apologize for not being helpful in X", they always apologize for being rude.

Generally speaking, people are emotional and lack communication skills. This is an ill-fit combo.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Well, I didn't say the efficacy of Greenlight as a filter is perfect. I said it mostly works. Also, that's not the strongest counter-example (well, more a "counter-example" since it doesn't actually counter what I said) as the game is almost 18 months old and, judging from its Steam Community forum, has undoubtedly been reported many times. I'd guess that Valve's stance on right of publicity-related matters is "It's only an issue if the person in question feels it is", and obviously people who have absolutely nothing to do with Gerard Butler cannot speak on behalf of Gerard Butler.

You guys aren't going to believe this, someone broke into my mom's house, went down to the basement were I live, somehow logged onto my PC, and bought Overwatch Origins Edition with my credit card somehow, nothing was stolen weirdly, I honestly can't believe it. I'm going to file a police report because I feel violated. I guess I should try out this Overwatch game since I have it now...
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
One of us! One of us!

impact

Banned
I'm convinced PvP in Dark Souls 3 is literally unplayable. Oh well I guess.

took you this long to figure it out?

Demons remains the only game in the series with PvP worth playing. It sucks because without lag the games are fun online, but they're just not worth playing with how incompetent From seem to be on the networking end.

zkylon

zkylewd
It made up ten fold for the disappointment that was GTA4 for me. Ended up really enjoying GTAV. Though it does start a little slow.
i like gta 4 so doesn't have to make up for anything, just has to be fun and try not have as many irritating cutscenes, which is tough, considering who's penning it

i finished up the first heist, so far it's ok, i blew an afternoon on it so it's not super boring but i don't think los santos is as interesting as liberty city was

Vibranium

Banned
ok gta 5 is not so bad

mashing a to run is still stupid and the controller bindings are kind of awful, but i'm warming up to it

glad to see the fake internet is still around and that you can still interact with atms, even if you can't buy hotdogs on stands anymore.

the writing is so far super cringey and these early missions are pretty boring but i play it for the era snapshot and that feels pretty ok

Sadly the blatant cringy GTA humor will never go away until Dan Houser does. He can write somewhat more serious stuff that is still funny though- Bully and Red Dead Redemption have outlandish characters and humour but aren't completely over the top. Bully was handled really well actually, it felt like a twisted Harry Potter without magic, but not too gross.

I'm in a minority but I'd like to see Grand Theft Auto move in more of a dark humour direction, it's really annoying to constantly have radio ads go "look at how scummy we are as we describe everything wrong with America in detail while playing it straight".

zkylon

zkylewd
Sadly the blatant cringy GTA humor will never go away until Dan Houser does. He can write somewhat more serious stuff that is still funny though- Bully and Red Dead Redemption have outlandish characters and humour but aren't completely over the top. Bully was handled really well actually, it felt like a twisted Harry Potter without magic, but not too gross.

I'm in a minority but I'd like to see Grand Theft Auto move in more of a dark humour direction, it's really annoying to constantly have radio ads go "look at how scummy we are as we describe everything wrong with America in detail while playing it straight".

totally, i'd love to see a less jokey, dark humor version of gta

is GTAV better than Gay Tony tho?
hard to say so far, i think the writing is already really bad and the characters are very unlikable and those were the two strong suits of gay tony for me, so no, but the heists have a ton of potential and gta5 just controls much better than 4

Jawmuncher

is GTAV better than Gay Tony tho?

I say so. As the game goes on you do more crazy stuff than TBOGT had to offer. The biggest complaint I could see some people bringing up are the characters. 2 out of the 3 protagonists are rather unlike able, and I know that was a issue for some in Watch Dogs.

Funny enough speaking of that, I've only ever played one game where I hated the main character. That game being LA Noire.

i like gta 4 so doesn't have to make up for anything, just has to be fun and try not have as many irritating cutscenes, which is tough, considering who's penning it

i finished up the first heist, so far it's ok, i blew an afternoon on it so it's not super boring but i don't think los santos is as interesting as liberty city was

I have nothing positive to say about GTA4. Liked the two DLC chapters though.

I say so. As the game goes on you do more crazy stuff than TBOGT had to offer. The biggest complaint I could see some people bringing up are the characters. 2 out of the 3 protagonists are rather unlike able, and I know that was a issue for some in Watch Dogs.

Funny enough speaking of that, I've only ever played one game where I hated the main character. That game being LA Noire.

Douchebag Noire.

Wow, really, just one? That's pretty lucky.

Hated the main characters of Deponia and The Whispered World, the main character of Syberia (the first one) was kind of a flaky bitch who exploited a mentally deficient child to avoid getting her hands dirty, Jack Orlando used a horseshoe-loaded glove to punch out the legitimate owner of a car so he could steal its crank, the main character of Bunker was a hipster douchebag, both Kane & Lynch were thoroughly unlikeable people...that's just off the top of my head.

Wok

I think you could fix the issues for the latter group by allowing them more control, for example:
- Mark all games by this developer "not interested"
- Mark all games with the following tags "not interested"
- Mark all games with user reviews under <x> "not interested"
- Mark all software/videos "not interested"
- Do not show be reviews from <x reviewer> (or just make it so that ignoring someone actually ignores them)
- Permanently hide this game and never show it to me ever again even if I search for it
-
I don't have VR hardware and don't want VR hardware and I'm honestly telling you the truth and in the mean time don't show me VR games and I promise I'll turn this option off if I ever buy VR hardware I respect you Valve and Vive sounds great but I'm not going to buy it so stop showing me everything VR related

Also, I would like Valve to make a real recommendation system. The current one is very crappy to say the least. One could imagine some statistical analysis of the library of all Steam users to correlate playtime between different games and perform actual recommendations of new games based on library and playtime, such as "we see that you have played a bunch of puzzle games, including 10 hours on Portal to complete most achievements, and we would like to suggest buying Portal 2, Stephen's Sausage Roll, and The Witness".

Pixieking

Banned
Also, I would like Valve to make a real recommendation system. The current one is very crappy to say the least. One could imagine some statistical analysis of the library of all Steam users to correlate playtime between different games and perform actual recommendations of new games based on library and playtime, such as "we see that you have played a bunch of puzzle games, including 10 hours on Portal to complete most achievements, and we would like to suggest buying Portal 2, Stephen's Sausage Roll, and The Witness".

Better to base it on achievements than playtime, considering how many people idle for cards - achievements are a better snapshot of actual play. But even with just playtime, it would be more relevant than it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom